2014 Holden Cup: Rd 4 V Rabbitohs

All the news on the Canberra Raiders lower grades, affiliate clubs and the Canberra Raiders Cup

Moderator: GH Moderators

gnocchi1
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Paul Vaughan

Re: 2014 Holden Cup: Rd 4 V Rabbitohs

Post by gnocchi1 »

RAIDERS SCORE!
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Captain Croker

Post by Raidersrawesome »

Woo hoo

Take that one off us refs
The Greenhouse

Post by The Greenhouse »

79th min TRY RAIDERS Hat trick for Lachlan Hurst! Creith to McIlwrick to Hurst down the left. Patrick Mago misses the conversion from the sideline. There's not enough time for a restart.

Raiders 34-30

FULL TIME

HOW IT HAPPENED

The Greenhouse

First half

South Sydney kick off, Raiders with the first set, we're underway!

1st min Good first set from Canberra, with Luke Bateman making a nice break up the middle. Hefernan's kick on the last tackle goes over the dead ball line, however, so it's not the best end to the set.

10th min TRY RAIDERS to Tevita Pangai. Rabbitohs may be about to challenge for a possible knock on in the lead up. They are, so it's going to the video referee. Barnett throws it back, Garard knocks it back, and Pangai takes it and scores. It's a certain try. TRY! Converted by Patrick Mago. Raiders 6-0

14th min Raiders had a good try scoring chance, but a loose pass from Brenko Lee is intercepted by the Rabbitohs 5m from the line.

16th min TRY RAIDERS to winger to Lachlan Hurst, set up by a long cut out pass from Garard. Mago misses the conversion. Raiders 10-0

20th min South Sydney over the line, but throw the ball away.

21st min TRY RABBITOHS to Irae Simone, steps pass Brenko Lee and Mitchell Shaw on the way to the line. The try is set up by a charge down of a Raiders kick. Converts his own try. Raiders 10-6

25th min TRY RAIDERS to Ricky Garard, he takes a short kick and runs 95m to score under the posts! Patrick Mago converts. Raiders 16-6

34th min Lachlan Hurst makes a huge break down the left touchline, but he holds on too long, and must throw it away before being tackled over the sideline.

34th min Raiders challenge a penalty against them for a strip, and there isn't one, the ball just comes loose in the tackle. But the video referee goes with the on field referee.

35th min TRY RABBITOHS to Tim Davidson, who takes a kick ahead from Irae Simone. It's off the back of the dodgy penalty. Converted by Simone. Raiders 16-12

39th min TRY RABBITOHS to Tom Hughes. Pangai charges down a kick, and the Rabbitohs take advantage of the broken play. Some poor defensive efforts from the Raiders. Simone converts.

HALF TIME Rabbitohs 18 Raiders 16

Second half

Raiders kick off in the second half, we're back underway!

41st min Rabbitohs make a huge break via Tim Davidson, but he ends up throwing a loose pass.

46th min TRY RAIDERS to Jack Creith in the corner, set up by Tevita Pangai. Patrick Mago misses the conversion from the sideline. Raiders 20-18

50th min Rabbitohs challenging a call, the referee calls a knock on against them. It's obvious on the replay that it is... but the video referee overturns it!

51st min Rabbitohs challenging again. The referee says South Sydney has lost it in the ruck. Overturned! The Rabbitohs have no more challenges, they get a penalty.

57th min TRY RABBITOHS under the posts to Taylam Halls. The referees are giving the Raiders a tough time, not least with a call of six again in the lead up to the try. Ruled a kick ahead was played at, when it obviously was not. Converted Simone. Rabbitohs 24-20

60th min Raiders receive a penalty, but Barnett throws it away on the first tackle. Fortunately, the Rabbitohs lose it 1m out from the try line.

62nd min TRY RAIDERS to Lachlan Hurst in the corner. It all starts with a break from Ricky Garard, very good try. Patrick Mago makes the conversion from the sideline! Raiders 26-24

68th min TRY RABBITOHS Blatant forward pass to Tulsa Saumamao, who goes over. It's off the back of an unfortunate error from Raiders winger Lachlan Hurst. Simone converts. Rabbitohs 30-26

73rd min TRY RAIDERS to Brenko Lee, incredible hands from Jack Creith just to bat it on. Patrick Mago misses the conversion from the sideline. Raiders 30 Rabbitohs 30

76th min Brenko Lee is over the line for the Raiders, but the referee correctly calls the final pass from Creith forward.

79th min TRY RAIDERS Hat trick for Lachlan Hurst! Creith to McIlwrick to Hurst down the left. Patrick Mago misses the conversion from the sideline. There's not enough time for a restart.

FULL TIME Raiders 34-30
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Great team play down the left side. Pangai, Creith, McIlwrick and Hurst combining brilliantly.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Walt Flanigan
Jason Croker

Post by Walt Flanigan »

Excellent. Nice work.
gnocchi1
Simon Woolford

Post by gnocchi1 »

Pengai is exceptional. He and Mago are genuine talents
Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Toviii »

I bet "loser" guy is feeling pretty silly now...
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Great work guys! Good win
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Toviii wrote:I bet "loser" guy is feeling pretty silly now...
Maybe it was a prediction of his own fortunes. :P
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Phew

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

gnocchi1 wrote:Pengai is exceptional. He and Mago are genuine talents
They are quality however I'm going to make a very big call. Luke Bateman will become a regular at Origin level and finish his career as one of the Raiders all time great back rowers. Looks like a Furner clone with the ball in his hands and has the work rate of Fensom. He's a class act.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

34-30. :lol:

Wow.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Northern Raider wrote:
They are quality however I'm going to make a very big call. Luke Bateman will become a regular at Origin level and finish his career as one of the Raiders all time great back rowers. Looks like a Furner clone with the ball in his hands and has the work rate of Fensom. He's a class act.
Bateman is an absolute machine. Smart kid too.
Last edited by Seiffert82 on March 30, 2014, 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Great win against 14 men! ! Well done boys!
gnocchi1
Simon Woolford

Post by gnocchi1 »

Northern Raider wrote:
I'm not willing to go that far, but i definitely agree that Bateman has a big future in the game. This is as good a backrow as you'll ever have in U20's imo.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Northern Raider wrote:
Big call mate. You do realise you compared him more to brad Clyde?
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

dubby wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:
Yes it is big call. Thats why I said its a big call. :)
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

MATCH REPORT: Late try gets Holden Cup Raiders victory over South Sydney Rabbitohs

The Canberra Raiders NYC Team has completed an incredible last minute victory over the South Sydney Rabbitohs at ANZ Stadium.

With Canberra trailing by four points with just over five minutes remaining, the young side was able to score two tries late through Brenko Lee and Lachlan Hurst to snatch the victory from the Rabbitohs.

Canberra Raiders 34 defeated South Sydney Rabbitohs 30:

Canberra Tries: Hurst 3, Pangai Junior, Garard, Creith, Lee; Goals: Mago 3/6
Rabbitohs Tries: Simone, Davidson, Hughes, Halls, Saumamao; Goals; Simone 5/5

Read more: http://www.raiders.com.au/news/2014/03/ ... ouths.html
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Northern Raider wrote:
dubby wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:
Yes it is big call. Thats why I said its a big call. :)
:-D

Chickas shoe
John Ferguson

Post by Chickas shoe »

Toviii wrote:I bet "loser" guy is feeling pretty silly now...
I was just coming in here to give him a special shoutout. :lol:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

South Sydney's Tulsa Saumamao telling the Canberra Raiders Holden Cup Team they are "losers", thinking he's scored the winning try. There was, however 10 minutes to go...
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders' under-20s win a thriller against South Sydney Rabbitohs

The Canberra Raiders under-20s got their season back on track after a heart-stopping 34-30 come-from-behind win over South Sydney at ANZ Stadium on Sunday.

Searching for a second straight win after back-to-back losses to begin the season, it was the Raiders' classy centres who brought them back from the brink.

With five minutes left an excellent catch and pass from Raider Jack Creith positioned fellow centre Brenko Lee to level scores with a try in the corner.

Canberra ensured maximum points when Hurst completed his hat-trick in the 78th minute.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/canb ... z2xRfxywsj
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

It would be interesting to get the skinny from within the club, but as an outsider I reckon that Creith is a player that will go a fair way in the game. When he first started I thought he was out of his depth completely, but he seems to have worked very hard on his game to the extent he is now one of the quiet achievers of the team. He is certainly not as "brilliant" as Pangai, Lee etc, but he is a sort of Alan Tongue of the backline. I reckon he will play first grade.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Creith had a blinder...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock: