2014 Souths Logan Magpies

All the news on the Canberra Raiders lower grades, affiliate clubs and the Canberra Raiders Cup

Moderator: GH Moderators

The Greenhouse

Re: 2014 Souths Logan Magpies

Post by The Greenhouse »

Queensland Cup

FULL TIME

Burleigh Bears 20 defeated Souths Logan Magpies 6.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Souths Logan Magpies V Burleigh Bears

MATCH HIGHLIGHTS
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

2014 Queensland Cup Round 25: Souths Logan Magpies V PNG Hunters

INTRUST SUPER CUP: SOUTHS LOGAN MAGPIES V PNG HUNTERS
SUNDAY AUGUST 24, 2.00PM, DAVIES PARK

Souths Logan Magpies
1. Luke Archer 2. Ramon Filipine 3. Grant Cooke 4. Dallas Anderson 5. Tim Brooks 6. Phil Dennis (c) 7. Rhys Jacks 8. Luke Page 9. Mitch Cronin 10. Zac Lemberg 11. Andrew Edwards 12. Darcy Wright 13. Leon Panapa

14. Herschel Gideon 15. Daniel Tamou 16. Rez Phillips 20. Simanu Crichton 18. Aotealofa Tuimavave 19. Brandon Khuu

Coach: Josh Hannay

PNG Hunters
1. Israel Eliab (c) 2. Garry Lo 3. Thompson Teteh 4. Jason Tali 5. Adex Wera 6. Dion Aiye 7. Roger Laka 8. Timothy Lomai 9. Wartovo Puara 10. Esau Siune 11. George Benson 12. Sebastian Pandia 13. Adam Korave

14. Noel Zemming 15. Willie Minoga 16. Albert Patak 17. Lawrence Tu'u 18. Brandy Peter

Coach: Michael Marum

Twitter: #intrustsupercup #SLMvPNG
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Souths Logan Magpies V PNG Hunters

Davies Park on Sunday, August 24 – 2pm
Referee: Chris Anderson
Head to Head: PNG 1 Souths Logan 0
Twitter: #intrustsupercup #SLMvPNG
Live stream: http://www.qrl.com.au/interactive/live-stream.html

PNG will need to overcome an alarming away record when they travel to Davies Park on Sunday to face Souths Logan in a must-win game. The Hunters have struggled away from home in their debut season, recording three wins, seven losses and a draw from their 11 outings. By their own admission, the Magpies were disappointing last week against Burleigh, and with finals out of the question; they will want to redeem their 42-12 loss to the Hunters earlier in the year. In the process, they can end the competition newcomers’ finals aspirations with a victory. This weekend holds a plethora of milestones for Souths Logan, who will bring up their 150th win or 250th loss depending on the outcome, while Dallas Anderson will play in his 50th Cup game. The Magpies have named four new inclusions to the side following the loss to Burleigh last week, with Tim Brooks and Darcy Wright returning to the starting side, while Daniel Tamou and Aotealofa Tuimavave have been added to an extended bench. Ihaka Watene is out while Patrick Mago and Luke Bateman will play for the Raiders NYC side. Stanton Albert is out for the Hunters, with George Benson taking his place.

‘Dobbo’ says: Although the Hunters were beaten last weekend there is still plenty of fight left in the PNG boys with two round to go. The Hunters felt a little empty after last weekend’s loss and were certainly a touch unlucky. This weekend they should be back in the winner’s circle against the Magpies who have been really good and really bad during the season. However, it is very hard for the Magpies with Canberra players flying back at the end of each week. We love the PNG cult hero Garry Lo … can he continue his try scoring feats this weekend? PNG Hunters by 10.

Read more: http://www.qrl.com.au/news/2014/08/22/r ... eview.html
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Captain Croker

Post by Raidersrawesome »

SOUTHS LOGAN MAGPIES ‏@SLMAGPIES 2m
Magpies add a last ditch effort. 8-44 the score here at Davies Park

SL are the 8
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

There must be some good prospects in PNG.
charlie11
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Gary Belcher

Post by charlie11 »

Very ordinary performance from Souths Logan today,half the team out there today would not make q cup at any other club in QLD.The only players worth a mention are Luke Page and Mitch Cronin who tried hard,Cronin who shifted to five eight for the last twenty minutes set up a try and scored one,giving the home crowd something to cheer about.If the rumour is correct that the Raiders will not be with SLM in 2015,we will be the whipping boys of the comp.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

What about the falcons, Charlie?
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
charlie11
Simon Woolford

Post by charlie11 »

dubby wrote:What about the falcons, Charlie?
They have aligned with Melbourne Storm for 2015.!So yes SLM will be the whipping boys.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

2014 Queensland Cup Round 26: Souths Logan Magpies V Sunshine Coast Falcons

Davies Park, Sunday 31 August 2014
Kickoff 2:00pm

Souths Logan Magpies
1. Mitch Cronin 2. Ramon Filipine 3. Tim Brooks 4. Dallas Anderson 5. Luke Archer 6. Phil Dennis (C) 7. Rhys Jack 8. Luke Page 9. Herschel Gideon 10. Zac Lemberg 11. Darcy Wright 12. Grant Cooke 13. Andrew Edwards

14. Aotealofa Tuimavave 15. Daniel Tamou 16. Rez Phillips 20. Simanu Crichton

Sunshine Coast Falcons
1. Kyle Van Klaveren 2. Joe Meninga 3. Rowan Klein 4. Callum Klein 5. Paul McKewin 6. Thomas Murphy 7. Brett Doherty 8. Mboya Adams 9. Jay Lobwein 10. Ryan Hansen 11. Rueben Baillie 12. Mitch Ward 13. Jacob Samoa

14. Matt Gilliman 15. James Leavai 16. Luke Blumke 17. Mitch Ebdon

Referee: Liam Kennedy
Touch judges: Nick Morel, Brian Roper

Official Match Hashtag: #SLMvSCF
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Is Joe Meninga any relation to Mal?
charlie11
Simon Woolford

Post by charlie11 »

edwahu wrote:Is Joe Meninga any relation to Mal?
Mal is his uncle.!
Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Toviii »

We must sign him then. Genetics is a strong force.
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Souths Logan Magpies V Sunshine Coast Falcons

Davies Park on Sunday, August 31 – 2pm
Referee: Liam Kennedy
Head to Head: Souths Logan 9 Sunshine Coast 3
Twitter: #intrustsupercup #SLMvSCF

The Falcons will fly into Magpie territory on Sunday – hoping to add one more win to their season tally. The Sunshine Coast went down to a determined Tweed Heads last week; while Souths Logan also struggled against another side who were playing for their finals chances in the Hunters. The Magpies tried hard throughout – but couldn’t contain PNG who have proven they can score tries from anywhere, including from deep within their own half. For this final match of the season, coach Josh Hannay has recalled Tim Brooks to the centres, with Brandon Khuu returning to the Colts side, while Mitch Cronin moves from hooker to fullback. Unfortunately, the Magpies will be without lock Leon Panapa, who suffered a neck injury last weekend. His place will be taken by Aotealofa Tuimavave. For the Falcons, Mboya Adams has been named to replace Liam Anlezark at prop. Positional changes see Kyle van Klaveren move from five-eighth to fullback, Tom Murphy to five-eighth from lock and Callum Klein into the centres after holding the custodian role against the Seagulls.

Read more: http://www.qrl.com.au/news/2014/08/29/r ... eview.html
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

Luke Archer you champion! Puts a try down on the edge of the sideline. Converts his own try 18-0 with 1 min left in the half. #SLMvSCF
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

@SLMAGPIES shoot off to a commanding lead. 26-0 with 22 left in THE SECOND HALF. #intrustsupercup #SLMvSCF
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

Fulltime

South Logan 26-12
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

So all our teams win this week. Been a while.
BluntForce
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Fensom

Post by BluntForce »

Another year of footy is over and here is what my opinion of the wash-up is.
RAPANA- Has found his mojo again this year and will feature in our plans throughout 2015 in the NRL side.
BAPTISTE- He has only showed glimpses of what he can do... He will secure the second hooking roll and show why he is so respected in footy circles up in QLD. He is the answer to our hookers woes.
MAGO- This kid has a big future if he continues to develop at the pace he has this year. He is only young and I see him pushing for a starting position within 24 months.
BATEMAN-This is a must have player. Has a heart the size of Pharlap, and will never produce anything other than a gutsy performance. Another one to watch inside 24 months.
EDWARDS- I have never seen this bloke give anything short of 110%. He is my pick for the XXXX peoples choice award in the Intrust Cup and deservedly so.
PAGE- If this kid is not in contention for your top 25 I will saw my off. He is a hard running, hard hitting kid who tops meter and tackle counts week in week out. He is a sneaky for the Intrust Player of the year. If we dont use this kid then others will come and steal him away from Canberra and if that is the case we will get hurt by him when he plays us. Extremely well respected in QLD footy circles.
CRONIN- This kid is a coaches dream. He is a huge bag of tricks that can fill anywhere on the field. He is an extremely big hearted player with a good footy brain. Keep this kid at all costs. He is a true diamond in the rough.
AND NO I AM NOT A CRONIN RELATIVE.
So for the Lime Green family you have some good talent coming through the Intrust Cup. Try not to forget them when looking to your possible team for 2015. My smoky for next year out of the abovementioned is PAGE the Frontie. He goes real good.....
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

I dunno how PAGE forces his way into a frontrow rotation of Shillo/Vaughan/Boyd and Tilse, and I don't think Baptiste suits the 14 role as Hodgson should obviously be the number 9, HOWEVER I do like the sounds of Cronin's versatility.

He or McCrone for the number 14 jersey next year IMO.

I also think Magoo is a good shot at the bench secondrower spot sometime next year.
BluntForce
Peter Jackson

Post by BluntForce »

NICKMAN, PAGE is already better than what you are fielding now. I have heard reports out of Canberra that this kid would have played this year for 2nd tier salary cap issues. From what i have seen of your fronties I think you will be surprised at whom he displaces. :)
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

So who would you have him in front of in the rotation I just mentioned??
BluntForce
Peter Jackson

Post by BluntForce »

Mate, you are not going to like my answer, so please keep in mind this is just my opinion and mine alone. I would have him in before any of your mentioned rotation.
NICKMAN you seem to be in the know. Have a chat with people that are training these guys and you will then no doubt have another opinion.
I have..... :)
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

So you would have Luke Page in front of Paul Vaughan based on what you've seen of him playing Queensland Cup??

Righto then.
BluntForce
Peter Jackson

Post by BluntForce »

The Nickman wrote:So you would have Luke Page in front of Paul Vaughan based on what you've seen of him playing Queensland Cup??

Righto then.
Yep, VAUGHANY was the source and rates PAGE extremely highly. They have palyed a lot of rep footy against each other, PAGE got the gong every time.
Trust me, you will have another opinion later on next year. Dont forsake what you dont know. Regardless we will have a good engine room and mark my words, PAGE will be included in the rotation throughout the year..
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Righto Luke, I look forward to you making the step up.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Must be Luke's dad
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I'm fairly certain Charlie, Crader and BluntForce are all related to various members of the Souths Logan squad.

And best of luck with everything to them.
BluntForce
Peter Jackson

Post by BluntForce »

dubby wrote:Must be Luke's dad
Ohh boys, Not Luke and Not his Dad. From what I have heard his old man wouldn't be caught dead on a site like this, and would probably castrate Luke if he was on here. His old man I met two weeks ago and is a very straight shooter. He critiques his boy very harshly and thank god he doesn't know my true identity as he would probably castrate me as well.....
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

The Nickman wrote:I dunno how PAGE forces his way into a frontrow rotation of Shillo/Vaughan/Boyd and Tilse, and I don't think Baptiste suits the 14 role as Hodgson should obviously be the number 9, HOWEVER I do like the sounds of Cronin's versatility.

He or McCrone for the number 14 jersey next year IMO.

I also think Magoo is a good shot at the bench secondrower spot sometime next year.
Why not Baptiste at 14, it's primary role is to give the hooker a rest. Now I know what you're thinking McCrone also covers the halves in case of injury but so would Hodgson at a higher quality I'm sure. So with a Hodgson/Baptiste combo you have the two positions covered better than you would with McCrone on the bench who is crap at both.

If versatility is what you want then Cronin wins, under no scenario other than injuries do I see McCrone being the best option.

On PAGE I hope he gets a run early next year, after seeing a few of his games in Qld cup I'd love to see how he handles the step up, if he handles it well I could see him becoming a crowd favorite and our number 2 prop behind Vaughan.

Bluntforces assessment on Bateman and Cronin are spot on, all heart won't stop trying and exactly the type of attitudes coaches want in the team, two players who wouldn't put in some of the pea hearted performances we've seen in first grade the past few years.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Well, I guess that settles it then.

If Manbush is giving these players his endorsement, then I don't ****ing want ANY of them anywhere near my team...
Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Toviii »

Fair point about Hodgson, Manbush
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Don't encourage him, Toviiiiii.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Josh Hannay re-signs as coach of Souths Logan Magpies and begins work for Intrust Super Cup season

Josh Hannay has been re-signed to coach the 2015 season for Souths Logan and revealed he had already started preparing for the coming year.

“You can measure success a few ways and it was great to help guys get promoted to the NRL and I think we played a big part in getting Jordan Rapana and Kurt Baptiste a crack at the top tier,” Hannay said.

“We have had discussion with some players who we are interested in bringing to the club and most importantly we have spoken with the guys about retaining the majority of the squad. We need to add some depth and creativity around the halves and our outside back core,” Hannay said.

Read more: http://www.couriermail.com.au/questnews ... 7047414308