2014 Souths Logan Magpies

All the news on the Canberra Raiders lower grades, affiliate clubs and the Canberra Raiders Cup

Moderator: GH Moderators

Travis
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: 2014 Souths Logan Magpies

Post by Travis »

18 mins - An Easts attacking raid ends with Rapana doing well to get out of the in-goal and four tackles later, Souths Logan receive a (much-needed!) penalty.
Travis
David Grant

Post by Travis »

20 mins - Souths Logan attacking the line, sees a Cronin pass from dummy half intercepted, but the offending player was ruled offside. In the ensuing set, Rapana takes the ball to the line, pops a neat offload and Anderson scores a good try. Souths Logan 4 - 6. Conversion five metres in from left side line floats across the sticks. No goal.
Last edited by Travis on August 3, 2014, 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Travis
David Grant

Post by Travis »

24 mins - Souths Logan penalty. Start from 40 metres out.
Travis
David Grant

Post by Travis »

25 mins - A move out to the right sees Bateman (I think - the camera angle isn't the best) pass to Mago out the back, who runs a nice unders line to cross for the second Souths Logan try in two sets. Rapana kicks the goal this time. 10 - 6.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Thanks for this Travis

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Travis
David Grant

Post by Travis »

32 mins - Souths Logan give away penalty. Easts fail to find touch!
Travis
David Grant

Post by Travis »

35 mins - Several end to end sets but Souths Logan receive a penalty. Start from the 40.
Travis
David Grant

Post by Travis »

38 mins - Easts score after some good offloading draws in too many right edge defenders and the ball is passed out to the left winger. 10 - 10.
Travis
David Grant

Post by Travis »

40 mins - Conversion is successful from the sideline. 10 - 12. Halftime.
BrisbaneRaider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by BrisbaneRaider »

Maybe I should watch this instead...
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Thanks travis!
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Sounds like a better game.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Travis
David Grant

Post by Travis »

Not a bad half from Souths Logan. Very high completion rate and not too many missed tackles. Easts have also played pretty well. Most sets have gone from end to end. Both sides have lacked a bit of polish on the sixth tackle options, with many grubbers going too deep or bombs being caught in goal. Easts had those two line goal drop outs early on, but besides that, most repeat sets have occurred as a result of penalties. Both Souths Logan tries came off penalties.

Bateman has been busy in defence, PAGE had some good runs and tidies up that ruck area in defence. Rapana has been good at the back, too. All in all, a much better shower than the dross that has been so far dished up about 1200km South-South-West of here.
Last edited by Travis on August 3, 2014, 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Travis
David Grant

Post by Travis »

Second half under way.
41 mins - Souths Logan error coming out of their own end is compounded by a penalty deep in Easts' tackle count.
Travis
David Grant

Post by Travis »

43 mins - Some poor defence on the right edge (Mago included) and good vision from Easts sees the Easts left centre score. 10 - 16.
Travis
David Grant

Post by Travis »

45 mins - Conversion unsuccessful.
Travis
David Grant

Post by Travis »

46 mins - Great work from Cody Walker (Easts five-eighth) sets up a try underneath the black dot from the next set. Conversion successful. 10 - 22. Easts quick out of the blocks in the second half.
Last edited by Travis on August 3, 2014, 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Travis
David Grant

Post by Travis »

49 mins - Third try in three sets for Easts. Rolling down the park easily and then off loads open up the field for Walker again to find support. Conversion successful. 10 - 28.
Travis
David Grant

Post by Travis »

53 mins - Souths Logan finally force an error to get some ball. Bateman runs it (well, he slipped over) on the 4th and draws a penalty.
Travis
David Grant

Post by Travis »

54 mins - Another penalty right on the line gives Souths Logan another set in attack. They go right and Mago runs the ball very well to take a couple tacklers over the line with him and scores his second for the afternoon. Conversion unsuccessful. 14 - 28.
Travis
David Grant

Post by Travis »

58 mins - Souths Logan force an Easts error to get a scrum in fairly good field position.
Travis
David Grant

Post by Travis »

59 mins - Ben Jackson puts up a good bomb and Rapana does very well to snatch it in traffic and score 10 metres or so to the left of the sticks.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Good work Travis
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Travis
David Grant

Post by Travis »

60 mins - Conversion successful. 20 - 28.
Travis
David Grant

Post by Travis »

63 mins - A good set ends with a penalty. Souths Logan start from halfway.
Travis
David Grant

Post by Travis »

67 mins - A good kick return from Rapana is spoit when the winger gets taken over the sideline on the next tackle. Easts in good field position off the srcum.
Travis
David Grant

Post by Travis »

69 mins - Good defence sees the attacking raid taken over the sideline. Souths Logan bring it out from their own line off the scrum.
Travis
David Grant

Post by Travis »

70 mins - Rapana put into a good hole and makes 70 metre break. He offloads to his centre who is taken down short. They receive a penalty, but the set ends when the 6th tackle grubber is defused by the Easts fullback.
Travis
David Grant

Post by Travis »

72 mins - A break in play as an Easts player is down injured (Kaufusi?). While I have the time; no Phil Dennis today, with Bateman seemingly playing five-eighth. In name only, though, as Jackson seems to be directing all of the play as a traditional halfback, both sides of the ruck. Bateman still defending in the middle, with Cronin seemingly on the right edge (inside Mago).
Last edited by Travis on August 3, 2014, 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Travis
David Grant

Post by Travis »

73 mins - Penalty to Souths Logan, two tackles after a fantastic run from Rapana.
Travis
David Grant

Post by Travis »

75 mins - Disorganised set ends in the bomb being knocked on. Easts knock on shortly later and then Souths Logan throw a forward pass. Running out of time here.
Travis
David Grant

Post by Travis »

77 mins - Cronin tries to offload the ball, deep in attack, but the ball is put down.
Travis
David Grant

Post by Travis »

78 mins - Souths Logan give away a penalty.
Travis
David Grant

Post by Travis »

Fulltime - Easts win 28 - 20. Souths Logan had most of the running from about 53 minutes in, but Easts' defence was too good. Though Jackson was good, having only the one half made our attack pretty poor at times. The ten minute period after halftime was the difference, as Easts scored three tries in three sets of six. The starting front row was put back out there to stop the rot, but we couldn't quite get back in it. PAGE was great and Rapana had a blinder, especially in the second half. Cronin was ok, though backs his good darts from dummy half with a poor decision (ie. taking the tackle and being driven back, instead of passing), much like Buttriss does. Mago was pretty quiet; he didn't go looking for ball, rather waited on the right edge (much like last week, but with tries instead of errors). His two tries were good and showed how damaging he can be on the right edge, but I think he needs to do a bit more work, rather than involve himself only when we have the ball ten metres out and it goes his way. Bateman was good and had a few good touches, but I don't think he's a five-eighth. He tackles all afternoon and his match fitness has improved since the game I saw him play when he was forced into longer minutes through injuries (it was a Channel Nine game a month or so ago).
Last edited by Travis on August 3, 2014, 6:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Travis
David Grant

Post by Travis »

Whoops, just as I say that about Buttriss, I see him put in a sweet grubber after a good break. That's better than anything Cronin did today.