2014 Souths Logan Magpies

All the news on the Canberra Raiders lower grades, affiliate clubs and the Canberra Raiders Cup

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

2014 Souths Logan Magpies

Post by greeneyed »

Intrust Super Cup draw for 2014 released

The Raiders return to Souths Logan Magpies in the Intrust Super Cup in 2014 and will share their players with Mounties in the NSW Cup. See the draw for the Magpies here

In some great news for Raiders fans. All 2014 Raiders members will get free entry into Souths Logan Home matches.

An opening round grand final replay, Papua New Guinea’s maiden Intrust Super Cup appearance against heavyweights Redcliffe and key rounds that focus on tradition, country rugby league and player welfare are among the key features of the 2014 draw.

The new 13-team competition kicks off on the weekend of March 1-2, with much of the early anticipation swirling around defending premiers Mackay Cutters and competition newcomers PNG.

Read more: http://www.raiders.com.au/news-display/ ... ased/88983
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 2014 Souths Logan Magpies

Post by greeneyed »

Souths Logan Magpies gains and losses

THE Souths Logan Magpies have a new coach in Josh Hannay at the helm next season and will look to build on their solid 2013 season.

While they finished 9th, they won 11 of their 22 games and were pushing for a finals place right up to the last round.

The Magpies have lost three players (Josh Damen, Ben Cronin and Tulson Caird) to Wynnum Manly; but have Tim Brooks coming across from the Seagulls, while East Tiger Leon Panapa has also signed on with the club.

Hannay will also have a number of former Under 20 players joining the squad with Shane Duck and Eli Roberts (Canberra Raiders) and Herschel Gideon (Melbourne Storm) coming on board.

Souths Logan Magpies:

Gains: Tim Brooks (Wynnum Manly) Chris Swain (New Zealand rugby union), Herschel Gideon (Melbourne Storm NYC), Shane Duck (Canberra Raiders), Eli Roberts (Canberra Raiders), Henry Ah Sam (NSW Cup), Jake Eden (Moranbah), Leon Panapa (Easts Tigers)

Losses: Josh Damen (Wynnum Manly), Ben Cronin (Wynnum Manly), Tulson Caird (Wynnum Manly), Mark Appleton (Ipswich local league), Ben Falcone (Sydney), Ben Thorburn (England)

Read more: http://www.qrl.com.au/default.aspx?s=ar ... an-magpies
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

A hooker that can kick out of the storm system, interesting.
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

It's annoying how stuff like this (being able to split our reserves) could have assisted in us retaining some of the QLD players, and also keeps our feed into the much richer (in general) QLD cup system. Glad to see Souths Logan Magpies back into the picture for the Raiders!
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Mark Appleton was one I thought might bob back up
Edrick The Entertainer
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Yes, I like Appleton. Shame to see him drop out of Q Cup.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

QCup kicks off this weekend, but it is a bye for Souths Logan in Round 1.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Ahearn, Rapana, Mataora and Cronin named to play in the South's Logan side this weekend.

2014 Queensland Cup Round 2: Souths Logan Magpies V Sunshine Coast

Souths Logan Magpies Coach Josh Hannay has named a strong side, featuring four Raiders players, for the Round 1 clash with the Sunshine Coast on Saturday at Stockland.

Whilst there has long been an affiliation with the Souths Logan area, the Canberra Raiders will formally re-commence their partnership with the Souths Logan Magpies in 2014 in the Intrust Super Cup.

Although he is a local Canberra junior, Jack Ahearn will take the field in the five-eighth position and look to combine with winger Jordan Rapana frequently, whilst the combination of Mitch Cronin at hooker and Sam Mataora at prop looks promising for the Magpies forward pack.

1. LUKE ARCHER
2. RAMON FILIPINE
3. NICK DOYLE
4. DAVID FAAMITA
5. JORDAN RAPANA
6. JACK AHEARN
7. RHYS JACKS
8. MAT PITMAN
9. MITCH CRONIN
10. SAM MATAORA
11. ANDREW EDWARDS
12. LEON PANAPA
13. PHIL DENNIS (C)

14. HERSCHELL GIDEON
15. DALLAS ANDERSON
16. ZAC LEMBERG
17. SIMANU CRICHTON

Coach: JOSH HANNAY

Read more: http://www.raiders.com.au/news/2014/03/ ... und_1.html

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I didn't realise we were splitting between Mounties and Souths Logan?
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Walt Flanigan
Jason Croker

Post by Walt Flanigan »

Interesting Ahearn is at 5/8
Aero
Laurie Daley

Post by Aero »

julian87 wrote:I didn't realise we were splitting between Mounties and Souths Logan?
Yeah was just wondering about that too.. Anyone know what's the deal with how are players are split between the two feeder teams? Like can we send any player to either Mounties or Souths Logan? Or does the Raiders nominate which players can be chosen for Souths Logan and which can be chosen for Mounties? Or....?
2012, 2014 and 2015 Boogs Avatar/Signature of the Year
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

I would have thought that keeping Ahearn and Cornish together would be preferable to splitting them. Especially if they are both going to be playing in the halves
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Pretty sure they said qld/sths Logan juniors would play qcup and NSW/act juniors would play NSW cup.
Good opportunity for the Qlders to be less homesick ;-)
Edrick The Entertainer
BrisbaneRaider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by BrisbaneRaider »

Green eyed Mick wrote:I would have thought that keeping Ahearn and Cornish together would be preferable to splitting them. Especially if they are both going to be playing in the halves
They did the same thing at the end of last year with Ahearn in the NYC and Cornish at Mounties. They must want both players to have a chance to control their team and be the dominant playmaker.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Become a member of Canberra Raiders affiliate, Souths Logan Magpies

Membership for Souths Logan Magpies
Join online now and become of a member with full club privileges. Whatever you value about your club, membership will help nurture that value. Membership helps support your club and its mission for the benefit of your local community.

Membership Options
Black and White Membership ($95.00) for $95
Membership Includes: • Season pass for 1 to all home games • Drink voucher each game • 10% off Magpies merchandise • Regular squawk email newsletter

Guardian of the Nest Membership ($150.00) for $150
Membership Includes: • Limited Edition Guardians key ring (individually numbered) • Full Football Club Membership and Voting Rights • Family Pass to all 11 Home Games • Exclusive entry to 1 Home Game functions, including food and drink (Davies Park) including food and refreshments. • 15% off Magpies merchandise • Regular email newsletter • 50% reduction in use of club facility

Corporate Membership ($500.00) for $500
Membership Includes: • Season pass for 2 s • Private function with Mal Meninga • Invitation to season launch • Business exposure through club website • Advertisement in Magpies business directory • Regular Squawk Email Newsletter • 50% reduction in use of club facility

Social Membership ($11.00) for $11
2 x Complimentary tickets in raffle to WIN 4 State of Origin tickets on half way. 1 x Entry to any 2014 home game. *Conditions Apply: Must have joined before 16/03/14 to receive raffle tickets.

More details and join on line: http://www.prosperityiq.com/console/membership/13
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Intrust Super Cup preview: Round 2

SUNSHINE COAST FALCONS v SOUTHS LOGAN MAGPIES
Stockland Stadium, on Saturday, March 8 – 6pm
Referee: Jarrod Cole
Head to Head: Souths Logan 8 Sunshine Coast 3
Twitter: #intrustsupercup #SCFvSLM

The Souths Logan Magpies will open their 2014 campaign on Saturday night when they travel north to take on the Sunshine Coast Falcons. The Magpies sat out the first week of the competition with a bye and will be keen to make their mark with a win first up. In their way however are a home side determined to improve on their round 1 result and to avoid recording their 20th loss in succession. Last week the Falcons were defeated 36-0 by a strong Northern Pride side – but there were still plenty of performances from the team that pleased coach Ivan Henjak; who singled out second-row pair Jacob Samoa and Rueben Baillie for special praise. The Falcons will go into this match with an unchanged line-up. Magpies coach Josh Hannay (who incidentally has played 27 Cup games in the past, scoring 192 points) has included Canberra Raiders contracted quartet Jordan Rapana (wing), Jack Ahearn (five-eighth), Sam Mataora (prop) and former junior Mitch Cronin (hooker) in his formidable looking side. The Magpies have a superior head-to-head record, having won five of their past six matches against the Sunshine Coast.

‘Dobbo’ says: This year is a learning curve for the Sunshine Coast. They endured a tough day at the office last week but the effort was there. There is plenty of interest in how the Magpies will perform in their first outing of the season. This match will be closer than most think. Souths Logan by 6

Read more: http://www.qrl.com.au/news/2014/03/06/i ... und_2.html
BrisbaneRaider
John Ferguson

Post by BrisbaneRaider »

greeneyed wrote:In some great news for Raiders fans. All 2014 Raiders members will get free entry into Souths Logan Home matches.
Very keen to get to a few games with this news. Hopefully I'll get a chance to see some of the young guys like Bateman, Brenko and Mago along with Ahearn and Cronin.
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Captain Croker

Post by Raidersrawesome »

@SLMAGPIES: The @SC_Falcons open the scoring. Try converted. 6-0 to Falcons. #IntrustSuperCup #rugbyleague
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

@SLMAGPIES: Magpies Fullback Luke Archer hits back, try time! Converter to make it 6 - 6 all tied up. #IntrustSuperCup #rugbyleague
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

@SLMAGPIES: #canberraraiders recruit, Mitch Cronin levels the score 10-10. #wearemagpies #IntrustSuperCup #SCFvSLM @TheGHRaiders
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

@IntrustSuperCup: Half-time at two grounds: Sunshine Coast Falcons 14 Souths Logan 10 and Northern Pride 18 CQ Capras 14. #intrustsupercup
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

@SLMAGPIES: Dallas Anderson puts the Magpies in front just after the break 16-14! Go the mighty magpies! #wearemagpies #SCFvSLM #IntrustSuperCup
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

@SLMAGPIES: Try to Dave Faamita! 22 - 14 to the Magpies! #IntrustSuperCup @SC_Falcons #SCFvSLM
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

@SLMAGPIES: Big Mat Pitman puts one in right under the uprights! 28-14 to the @SLMAGPIES! #wearemagpies #SCFvSLM 12 to go!
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

@SLMAGPIES: Another one for Raiders recruit Mitch Cronin who is on fire tonight! 32 - 14 to the magpies. #IntrustSuperCup #SCFvSLM #wearemagpies
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

@SLMAGPIES: One last big try right before the buzzer by Herschel Gideon! Full time @SLMAGPIES 38 - @SC_Falcons 14. #wearemagpies #SCFvSLM What a game.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Backing Cronin to be our future no9 in NRL. He can have McCrone's no14 right now.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

Northern Raider wrote:Backing Cronin to be our future no9 in NRL. He can have McCrone's no14 right now.
I was impressed with him in the trial against Storm and when I was watching him play for SL a few years ago

I too think he should be in FG , Id like to know what he needs to do to make it , what areas are preventing him from making the step up.
Captain Punish
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jared Waerea-Hargreaves

Post by Captain Punish »

Does anyone know how Ahearn played?
Avatar Bet - bleedgreen99 - Raiders to make (BG99)/miss(Lucy) the 8. Avatar from last round of regular season 2015 until GF 2016.
Signature Bet - Raider85 - Raiders to get(Lucy)/miss(R85) the wooden spoon. Signature for entire offseason.
Bottle of something to the value of $70 - Matthew Borewood to not see (Lucy)/to see (Piggles) a first grade game in 2015 for the Warriors.
The Name Change Bet - Regarding the three bets above;
I win all three I keep my name.
I win one I become "the Punish"
I lose all I become "Chicken Little"
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

Raidersrawesome wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:Backing Cronin to be our future no9 in NRL. He can have McCrone's no14 right now.
I was impressed with him in the trial against Storm and when I was watching him play for SL a few years ago

I too think he should be in FG , Id like to know what he needs to do to make it , what areas are preventing him from making the step up.
Whatever it is he needs to work on I hope the coaches are letting him know, he's got the personality he'll do whatever is required. ATM I'm with NR, give him the 14.

Think the only thing keeping him out is Ricky's love of McCrone but can't see that lasting too long now he'll be watching every game closely.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
BrisbaneRaider
John Ferguson

Post by BrisbaneRaider »

Intrust Super Cup Round 2 results

A double to precocious talent Mitch Cronin has enabled the Souths Logan Magpies to overturn a half-time deficit and consign Sunshine Coast to their 21st consecutive Intrust Super Cup loss in their Round 2 clash at Stockland Stadium on Saturday night.

The Falcons, coming off a 36-0 hiding in Round 1, were deserved 14-10 leaders at the break but had no answers in the second half as the Josh Hannay-coached Magpies piled on 28 unanswered points.

The Magpies had four Canberra Raiders contracted players in their side after renewing their affiliation with the NRL side for the 2014 season, all of them were heavily involved despite a lacklustre first half by the visitors.

Souths coach Josh Hannay liked what he saw from his Green Machine brigade, with rookie hooker Cronin snaring a double and prop Sam Mataora also crossing the line. Five-eighth Jack Ahearn and former Titans winger Jordan Rapana were also present for the Magpies as they ran in seven tries to three.

Souths Logan Magpies 38 (Mitch Cronin 2, Luke Archer, Dallas Anderson, David Faamita, Mat Pitman, Sam Mataora tries; Luke Archer 4, Jordan Rapana goals) def. Sunshine Coast Falcons 14 (Callum Klein 2, Kyle Van Klaveren tries; Brett Doherty goal) at Stockland Stadium, Kawana. Half-time: 14-10 Falcons.

Read more: http://www.nrl.com/intrust-super-cup-ro ... fault.aspx
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

VIDEO: Match highlights Souths Logan Magpies V Sunshine Coast Falcons

Click here
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Cronin's double lifts Magpies

A double to precocious talent Mitch Cronin has enabled the Souths Logan Magpies to overturn a half-time deficit and consign Sunshine Coast to their 21st consecutive Intrust Super Cup loss in their round 2 clash at Stockland Stadium on Saturday night.

Souths coach Josh Hannay liked what he saw from his Green Machine brigade, with rookie hooker Cronin snaring a double and prop Sam Mataora also crossing the line. Five-eighth Jack Ahearn and former Titans winger Jordan Rapana were also present for the Magpies as they ran in seven tries to three.

“I think there are some real quality players here,” the former Cowboys star said.

“They fitted in really well for their first hit-out together which was encouraging and they’ll only get better and better from here.”

SOUTHS LOGAN MAGPIES 38 (Mitch Cronin 2, Luke Archer, Dallas Anderson, David Faamita, Mat Pitman, Sam Mataora tries; Luke Archer 4, Jordan Rapana goals) def SUNSHINE COAST FALCONS 14 (Callum Klein 2, Kyle Van Klaveren tries; Brett Doherty goal) at Stockland Stadium, Kawana.

Read more: http://www.qrl.com.au/news/2014/03/10/c ... pies_.html
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

Cronins try was nice