2013 Holden Cup: Finals Week 1 V Bulldogs

All the news on the Canberra Raiders lower grades, affiliate clubs and the Canberra Raiders Cup

Moderator: GH Moderators

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: 2013 Holden Cup: Finals Week 1 V Bulldogs

Post by Northern Raider »

Nick wrote:Gee you blokes are harsh on cornish, he's barely had more than 3 games in a row with this squad. He's been in and out of the line up all year
:lol: I was typing pretty much the same thing when you did.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Sam Williams was brought in for one NRL game, then lambasted for his poor showing. Sorry it might be harsh, but that's the world of NRL, especially for a halfback*

*unless you're McCrone, where you gain undroppable status
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Dusty wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:
Dusty wrote:It was a fair try, his left foot was in line or behind the ball as it was kicked.
kidding right? His left foot was only behind the ball after it had left the boot. That freeze frame they showed the ball had already gone about a foot forwards. It was clearly a case of the video ref looking for a reason to uphold the decision on the field.
No I'm not kidding, just looking at it without bias.
So do you think the ball was on his foot in that freeze frame they used to line it up?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Canberra Milk wrote:Sam Williams was brought in for one NRL game, then lambasted for his poor showing. Sorry it might be harsh, but that's the world of NRL, especially for a halfback*

*unless you're McCrone, where you gain undroppable status
Confused. Sam Williams played a lot more than 1 NRL game. :?
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

*brought in for one game vs the Bulldogs round 20, then swiftly dropped
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

We were clearly robbed in that second half but I think it's OK for our team that we lost that game. A week off would have seen us well off the pace for the GF qualifier IMO. After that performance we need more game time together.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Nick wrote:Gee you blokes are harsh on cornish, he's barely had more than 3 games in a row with this squad. He's been in and out of the line up all year
that's crap Nick, how can a bloke who has NSW Cup experience dish out that garbage. ? the team in general are mental midgets and Cornish is not only the skipper he is the chief playmaker/organiser. his kicking game alone was garbage and it cost us the game. that's right. cost us the game regardless of the terrible refereeing. I bet Cornish is embarrassed by what he threw up today...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Canberra Milk wrote:*brought in for one game vs the Bulldogs round 20, then swiftly dropped
it was rnd 23 and he played in rnd 26 too. Semantics anyway and I'm not sure of the relevance to passing judgment on Cornish's NRL prospects.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past: Daley
Present: Strange

Post by Dusty »

Northern Raider wrote:
Dusty wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:
Dusty wrote:It was a fair try, his left foot was in line or behind the ball as it was kicked.
kidding right? His left foot was only behind the ball after it had left the boot. That freeze frame they showed the ball had already gone about a foot forwards. It was clearly a case of the video ref looking for a reason to uphold the decision on the field.
So do you think the ball was on his foot in that freeze frame they used to line it up?
yes
Nick
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by Nick »

green94 wrote:
that's crap Nick, how can a bloke who has NSW Cup experience dish out that garbage. ? the team in general are mental midgets and Cornish is not only the skipper he is the chief playmaker/organiser. his kicking game alone was garbage and it cost us the game. that's right. cost us the game regardless of the terrible refereeing. I bet Cornish is embarrassed by what he threw up today...
You're an idiot.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

If Cornish steps up, we win that game.

At the moment I'd like to see Round 1 next year:

1. Milford
6. Campese
7. Ahearn
9. Buttriss (Peats if signed)
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Captain Croker

Post by Raidersrawesome »

Id have Ahern ahead of Cornish for the halves and by a long shot.

All Ive seen of Cornish this year is that he is the link man and just passes on the ball.

Very little taking on the line or anything creative with the ball
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Nick wrote:
green94 wrote:
You're an idiot.
you're the man . what you say sits. I should know better and I know my place...sorry
Cornish was crap. and no you're an idiot
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

green94 wrote:
Nick wrote:
green94 wrote:
You're an idiot.
you're the man . what you say sits. I should know better and I know my place...sorry
My tip is you've barely paid attention to this side all year, noticed they were playing finals footy, decided to tune in and are now laying a boot into one of the best young halves in the competition. Cornish didnt have a great game today but if you'd paid any attention to this team, you'll know he hasnt played well in this team all year, he's been in and out of the side all year thanks to NSW cup and some injuries and probably hasnt had a run where he's played with them for more than 3 games in a row.

There is a reason why the team named him captain, a reason why NSW named him captain, a reason why he was named in the australian side. His talent and quality is there, and the only people who dont know that are idiots who have watched him on only a handful of occasions

I stand by my call, you are clearly one of the aforementioned idiots.
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

Lets all remember, this team lost in GP, to a team that has had the wood on them for years, with 2 reserves and a clearly incorrect video refereeing decision to level the game

write them off at your own leisure. But there is a reason this squad finished 1st, 5 points clear on top of the ladder
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

Northern Raider wrote:
Canberra Milk wrote:*brought in for one game vs the Bulldogs round 20, then swiftly dropped
it was rnd 23 and he played in rnd 26 too. Semantics anyway and I'm not sure of the relevance to passing judgment on Cornish's NRL prospects.
The NRL world is harsh for a halfback, that's all. I didn't even see the game, just making the point that rghtly or wrongly, he'll cop criticism if he plays poorly in firsts. Part and parcel of that environment.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I'm so disillusioned with the refereeing and how they are so "unconsciously biased" to the Sydney teams. That was a match the Raiders should NOT have lost but for the refereeing, which produced a clearly wrong outcome. It's got to the ridiculous stage.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Nick wrote:
green94 wrote:
Nick wrote:
green94 wrote:
You're an idiot.
My tip is you've barely paid attention to this side all year, noticed they were playing finals footy, decided to tune in and are now laying a boot into one of the best young halves in the competition. Cornish didnt have a great game today but if you'd paid any attention to this team, you'll know he hasnt played well in this team all year, he's been in and out of the side all year thanks to NSW cup and some injuries and probably hasnt had a run where he's played with them for more than 3 games in a row.

There is a reason why the team named him captain, a reason why NSW named him captain, a reason why he was named in the australian side. His talent and quality is there, and the only people who dont know that are idiots who have watched him on only a handful of occasions

I stand by my call, you are clearly one of the aforementioned idiots.
I've actually watched the Holden Cup side all year. I'm also up to speed on there ins and outs each week and how difficult it must be to get combinations happening with players being promoted to Mounties or injured etc. I know plenty and don't need 50, 000 posts to post my opinion. I'm aware I'm not part of the boys club on this site and don't want to be. the fact I was making was Cornish should have taken control of that game and got us over the line.

this is an open forum, I'm entitled to my opinion. if you don't agree that's fine but don't call me an idiot again.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

What's done is done, nothing we can change for next year unfortunately. Furner **** up massively on Williams, effectively scapegoating him for a defence that was bog standard regardless of whether he was in the side or not. We'd be in a far better position atm with a decent halfback of 50-60 games experience in our stable, rather than facing the prospect of blooding one of two rookie coming straight from the 20s.

I'll say it a thousand times, if you're relying on your halfback to be a brilliant defender then you're totally going about it the wrong way. Nothing I've seen from Cornish screams out as being a better defender than Williams and today only reaffirmed that.

I to have got Ahearn well ahead of Cornish at the moment, but it wouldn't be surprising to see them both battle it out in the off season for one vacant (hopefully) halves spot. The competition will only be good for them.
Last edited by afgtnk on September 15, 2013, 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Can we please cut the personal remarks, thanks.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Dusty wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:
Dusty wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:
yes
you should be a video ref then. Your observation skills are of a similar level. :)
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

Ive called out on Cornish all year and I hope Im wrong , but I dont see him developing into the halfback that we are hoping for

and green94

I love Wendy James yum
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

afgtnk wrote:What's done is done, nothing we can change for next year unfortunately. Furner **** up massively on Williams, effectively scapegoating him for a defence that was bog standard regardless of whether he was in the side or not. We'd be in a far better position atm with a decent halfback of 50-60 games experience in our stable, rather than facing the prospect of blooding one of two rookie coming straight from the 20s.

I'll say it a thousand times, if you're relying on your halfback to be a brilliant defender then you're totally going about it the wrong way. Nothing I've seen from Cornish screams out as being a better defender than Williams and today only reaffirmed that.

I to have got Ahearn well ahead of Cornish at the moment, but it wouldn't be surprising to see them both battle it out in the off season for one vacant (hopefully) halves spot. The competition will only be good for them.
We are well aware of your undying love for Sam Williams. Are you therefore able to explain why, as a free agent the best he could do was a 1 year deal with one of the worse teams in the comp?
Last edited by Northern Raider on September 15, 2013, 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

:lol:

Classic Nicko. Your ability to carry on four or five different simultaneous arguments in several threads against a variety of posters truly is second to none.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

One observation from today's game. I've always thought that Jordan Worboys could develop into a decent hooker. If he does go down that path I seriously hope he gets those forwards passes out of his game.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Can we please cut ALL the personal remarks, thanks.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

The Nickman wrote::lol:

Classic Nicko. Your ability to carry on four or five different simultaneous arguments in several threads against a variety of posters truly is second to none.
and he's never wrong...ever
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote:Can we please cut ALL the personal remarks, thanks.
You're a good guy, GE. I like you.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Can we get back to discussing the footy, respectfully, thanks.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

The Nickman wrote::lol:

comes from plenty of practice and a dedication to the cause. :)
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I only saw the second half of the 20s, but I thought we looked far superior. I also thought that last try was a bit harsh, he looked in front of the kicker to me.

Still, having said that, we had our chance in golden point, just completely fudged the play and it was very early in the tackle count.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

The Nickman wrote:
greeneyed wrote:Can we please cut ALL the personal remarks, thanks.
You're a good guy, GE. I like you.
EDIT
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Raidersrawesome wrote:Ive called out on Cornish all year and I hope Im wrong , but I dont see him developing into the halfback that we are hoping for

and green94

I love Wendy James yum
yeah mate keeping staring at Wendy circa 1989 cuz the 2013 version looks " weathered ".
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

Positive

The Raiders are on TV next weekend and we can get revenge against the Tigers
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

green94 wrote:
Raidersrawesome wrote:Ive called out on Cornish all year and I hope Im wrong , but I dont see him developing into the halfback that we are hoping for

and green94

I love Wendy James yum
yeah mate keeping staring at Wendy circa 1989 cuz the 2013 version looks " weathered ".
who aint :lol: