2013 Holden Cup: Finals Week 1 V Bulldogs

All the news on the Canberra Raiders lower grades, affiliate clubs and the Canberra Raiders Cup

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders NYC Coach Mick Mantelli has named his team for the first final against the Bulldogs at ANZ Stadium on Sunday afternoon, with almost a full strength squad named for the minor premiers.

Only Jeremy Hawkins is missing from the team through injury, however all three players named in the NYC team of the year (Jack Hearn, Mitch Cornish and Jonathon Reuben) have been named to take on the Bulldogs.

Mitch Cornish will Captain the Raiders as they begin their finals campaign chasing consecutive Grand Final appearances and a second NYC premiership (2008).

NYC - CANBERRA RAIDERS V CANTERBURY BANKSTOWN BULLDOGS
ANZ STADIUM, SUNDAY SEPTEMBER 15, 1.30PM

1. Jack Ahearn
2. Jonathon Reuben
3. Brenko Lee
4. Andrew Heffernan
5. Jack Creith
6. Jordan Worboys
7. Mitch Cornish ©
8. Mitchell Shaw
9. Trent Schubach
10. Dennis Tomarchio
11. Patrick Mago
12. Blake Seager
13. Luke Bateman

14. Ricky Garard

15. Mitchell Barnett
16. Tevita Pangai
17. Tahakilu Pangai
18. Matthew Frawley

22. Jonathan Kent
23. Jared McIlwrick

COACH: Mick Mantelli

Canberra Raiders media
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 2013 Holden Cup: Finals Week 1 V Bulldogs

Post by greeneyed »

Brenko Lee aiming to go one better than cousin Edrick with a NYC premiership

Aside from their physiques and hairstyles the similarities between Brenko and Edrick Lee are quite striking; both are highly talented centres, both have made a home in the Nation’s Capital since migrating from Brisbane and both have starred for Queensland in the Under 20s State of Origin.

“We’re both pretty similar in our journeys,” Brenko said. “He’s someone that I really look up to as a role model beside my dad. He’s a guy that I want to be like actually.

“I’m still living with Edrick as well as Reubs [winger Jonathon Reuben]. He gives me tips all the time and he always texts me before my game to wish me good luck and to trust my instinct and believe in myself.

“My family and his family had a barbeque and it was a big thing watching him play. Obviously they fell short but now I get a chance to go one better than him.”

Read more: http://www.raiders.com.au/news-display/ ... rick/84123
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Chatting on the weekend to a mate from the panthers they are keen to see us knocked out lol will be a good finals series go the Mighty Lime!
Edrick The Entertainer
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

A real shame Jeff Lynch was ruled out for the season with a shoulder injury. I would have loved the workaholic prop to be in the side.

Still, we have a very strong team and a crackerjack backline. Interesting both Pangai's are on the bench. Go Raiders!
Lucky
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Lucky »

i'll be live at the stadium giving my support, good thing the rest of my family are dogs supporters and it just fell perfectly into place with the 1st grade game. win-win for me :D ideally id love to see us win this game but understandably wont be too disappointed since dogs are second favourite team and we get a double crack at it anyway. just hope its not another 60 point massacre and the bulldogs fans can behave themselves as they have been known to cause a few problems at previous games ive been to :thumbsdown
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

will be there too, have to go to the dogs game with mum so win for me :)

so the raiders will have 2 fans in the crowd and their families!
Vaccinated
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

VIDEO: Jack Ahearn: "Winning the Minor Premiership means nothing now"

Star NYC fullback Jack Ahearn has revealed that the side has put their achievement of winning the Minor Premiership behind them and are firmly focused on going all the way in this year's finals series in the Holden Cup.

Click here
PrimetimeRaider
Jason Croker

Post by PrimetimeRaider »

This could be a stupid question, but is this game on TV? Cause the NRL game will be on 9 won't it?
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

PrimetimeRaider wrote:This could be a stupid question, but is this game on TV? Cause the NRL game will be on 9 won't it?
Foxtel
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Captain Croker

Post by Raidersrawesome »

1pm coverage starts

all NYC games will be on Fox I believe
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

Jordan Worboys - "We're using our earlier loss to the Dogs as extra motivation"

Raiders NYC five-eighth Jordan Worboys has revealed that the side is using their heavy defeat to the Bulldogs in Round 23 as extra motivation for their first semi-final on Sunday. The side delivered their worst performance of the year in that match losing 62-12 after being down 44-0 at halftime.

Read more: http://www.raiders.com.au/news-display/ ... tion/84194
Homer
David Grant
Favourite Player: Alan Tongue

Post by Homer »

PrimetimeRaider wrote:This could be a stupid question, but is this game on TV? Cause the NRL game will be on 9 won't it?
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people. :P

Kidding, I was wondering the same thing, I hoped Fox would show them but wasn't sure.
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

just when you're feeling disillusioned with most things raiders you see a video like that Jack Ahearn one and remember one of the reasons why you love the Raiders.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

It's going to be a tough game for the boys. Hopefully last weekends performance was just a blip on the radar.
tubs
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Milford

Post by tubs »

Its stupid how milford is not allowed to play because he played to much first grade.

Its called under 20s anyone 20 and under should be allowed to play no matter how much first grade you played :thumbsup
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

after seeing the 20s go against the dogs a few weeks ago im not overly confident about getting the result.

Also finishing position doesnt help you much in the 20s when you have to play away to the lower ranked side.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NYC Finals Week 1 Preview: Raiders V Bulldogs

The Canberra Raiders NYC side kick off their finals campaign this Sunday when they take on a formidable Canterbury Bankstown outfit at ANZ Stadium.

“We’re just going out to win the game,” coach Mick Mantelli said. “We’re not thinking about the week off at all. As a group we have got to play at our best this week. The loss [when the Raiders last played the Bulldogs] may have left some scarring on the players but I’m confident that if we play to the best of our ability, we’ll get them. We just need to stay in the contest with them. They like to blow teams away early, so we need to make sure we get a good start and match them set-for-set. They’ll tire, they’re a big team.”

Read more: http://www.raiders.com.au/news-display/ ... dogs/84277
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Jonathon Reuben looking to farewell the Raiders in style

Departing NYC winger Jonathon Reuben will look to thank the Raiders for all they have done for him and farewell the team mates he has grown so close to by going all the way in this year’s semi-finals series.

“I really want to farewell the team on a positive note,” Reuben said. “The club’s been really good to me since I’ve been here and although I’m taking another pathway next year I still want to thank for all they’ve done for me by doing my very best in this year’s finals series.

“I sure do have a lot of mates here. I’ve been living with Eddie and Brenko [Lee]and even though I used to get a bit homesick mates like those guys have helped me out a lot.

“I definitely want to leave this group of mates with a memory that we’ll have for the rest of our lives. I want to get that premiership with the club.

Read more: http://www.raiders.com.au/news-display/ ... tyle/84381
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Next Raiders premiership starts right here

Turning untapped potential into NRL gold is the challenge facing Ricky Stuart in building his Canberra Raiders revolution.

For all the drama and turmoil surrounding the top squad in the past 12 months, the strength of the Raiders remains the enormous talent in the club's junior ranks.

The next generation of the Raiders will be on show in Sunday's qualifying final of the National Youth Competition against the Canterbury Bulldogs at ANZ Stadium. The Raiders claimed the minor premiership and are chasing the club's first under-20s title since the competition's inaugural season in 2008.

But as the Raiders have found out the hard way, turning that potential into the core of the first-grade side is easier said than done.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... z2emIKOk6I
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Our 20s have plenty of points in them, but will they be strong enough defensively to get the job done?
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

It's exactly the same question as last year. Great team with momentum. Genuinely horrible without the ball at times.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Dogged by big defeat, young Raiders hope to bite back

CANBERRA RAIDERS have been the dominant force of the under-20s competition, finishing five points clear at the top of the ladder and winning eight of their past nine games. But it is that one loss that will drive them in Sunday's qualifying final against Canterbury at ANZ Stadium.

Former Canberra captain Alan Tongue has backed the Raiders to bounce back from the embarrassing 62-12 thumping by the Bulldogs when they met in August.

''When you get beaten by a side by that much, it dents your confidence at the time, but it really sparks a drive in you also,'' said Tongue, who has been commentating on the under-20s competition. ''There'll be no fears about that, and they can definitely bounce back.''

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... z2etScMCIX
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Heffernan, Schubach shoot for finals glory

JOINED by their Riverina heritage, Junee boys Andrew Heffernan and Trent Schubach have bonded over their shared breakthrough season in the NRL under 20s competition this season.

Heffernan suffered a dislocated shoulder in the first few rounds of the season and required surgery to repair the damage, but he fought an uphill battle to reach his goal of under 20s selection.

“I was pretty keen to build myself up and get my body right, and I was lucky enough to get the opportunity to do that,” he told The Daily Advertiser yesterday.

“I was lucky enough to hold onto my spot, but a lot of the older guys have helped me out with my transition, it’s a lot tougher and a lot different to anything I’ve done before.

Read more: http://www.dailyadvertiser.com.au/story ... ry/?cs=147
Aero
Laurie Daley

Post by Aero »

Only just saw the team list just then and noticed Milford wasn't included. Is he not eligible for u20s anymore? Anyone know the actual eligibility rules?
2012, 2014 and 2015 Boogs Avatar/Signature of the Year
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

You need to have played half your games in the lower grade.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Holden Cup Finals Week 1: Raiders V Bulldogs

Qualifying Final
Sunday, 1.30pm, ANZ Stadium

Last week: The Raiders’ 19th win of the season was also one of their least convincing, sneaking away 36-34 victors against the 13th-placed Cronulla Sharks.

The Raiders missed 38 tackles and committed 12 errors on their way to a win that left them five points clear at the top of the Holden Cup ladder.

Winger Jonathon Reuben scored two tries while a lethally accurate halfback Mitchell Cornish contributed an invaluable six goals and 19 tackles.

The Bulldogs had a much better time of it against the Brisbane Broncos, running in eight tries in a 48-32 thrashing.

Fullback Patrick Templeman scored a try, set another one up and slotted eight from eight conversion attempts.

Winger Lindon McGrady bagged a hat-trick and back-rower Shaun Lane simply sizzled with a try assist, 179 metres, 23 tackles and five tackle-breaks.

Last Time They Met: The Bulldogs shocked everybody back in Round 23 when they demolished the mighty Raiders 62-12 at Canberra Stadium. Fullback Patrick Templeman scored an incredible 30 solo points.

Key Match-Ups: The Bulldogs and Raiders are both remarkably powerful across the park. Watch for Canterbury-Bankstown fullback Templeman as he attempts to outdo a Raiders backline that includes brilliant winger Jonathon Reuben and the dynamic centres pairing of Brenko Lee and Andrew Heffernen.

Bulldogs centre Moses Mbye is also one of the most talented players in the competition.

Up front, the Raiders’ Patrick Mago will be one of their greatest assets. For the Bulldogs, prop Lloyd Perrett shapes as vital.

The Verdict: All things being equal, the Raiders would clearly be favourites in this Sunday afternoon belter.
They have consistently been the best side all year and though they make plenty of mistakes, they know how to win football matches.

But who could forget the dismembering they suffered last month against the Bulldogs? The Raiders were made to look like a bunch of school kids rather than minor premiers. Also niggling at the Raiders’ minds will be the fact that the Bulldogs are the only side to have scored more points than them this year (846-765).

If any team deserves a rest next weekend it’s Canberra. But don’t be surprised if they are instead playing for their lives in a sudden death semi-final.

Tip: Bulldogs by six points.

Read more: http://www.nrl.com/holden-cup-finals-we ... fault.aspx
The Greenhouse

Post by The Greenhouse »

Welcome to our coverage of today's clash between the Canberra Raiders and Canterbury Bulldogs. Jeremy Hawkins is a surprise late inclusion for the Green Machine, along with Jono Kent. Brenko Lee goes back to the bench. Tevita Pangai failed to pass a fitness test on his hamstring. Here's the final line ups:

NYC - CANBERRA RAIDERS V CANTERBURY BANKSTOWN BULLDOGS
ANZ STADIUM, SUNDAY SEPTEMBER 15, 1.30PM

Canberra Raiders

1. Jack Ahearn
2. Jonathon Reuben
19. Jeremy Hawkins
4. Andrew Heffernan
22. Jonathan Kent
6. Jordan Worboys
7. Mitch Cornish ©
8. Mitchell Shaw
9. Trent Schubach
10. Dennis Tomarchio
11. Patrick Mago
12. Blake Seager
13. Luke Bateman

3. Brenko Lee
14. Ricky Garard
15. Mitchell Barnett
17. Tahakilu Pangai

Canterbury Bulldogs

1. Patrick Templeman
2. John Sila
3. Moses Mbye
4. Matthew Fukofuka
5. Dujuan Liolevave
6. Jaline Graham
7. Jaelen Feeney
8. Lloyd Perrett
9. Blake Carter
10. Josh Vaartjes
11. Adam Elliot
12. Shaun Lane
13. Jack Creighton

15. Renouf To'omaga
16. Herman Ese'ese
17. Danny Fualalo
19. David Minute
BrisbaneRaider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by BrisbaneRaider »

Looks like Brenko or Hawkins will spend some time in the back row, probably Hawkins. That's a strong team, we should win if the boys show up in defence.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Is this on Fox?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Live on Fox Sports 1 from 1.00pm.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

The scene at the Olympic Stadium.
tragic
Brett Mullins

Post by tragic »

Almost forgot about this game.
Looks our yard work stops now, and beers begin.

C'mon boys
Raiders member no# 2278.
BrisbaneRaider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by BrisbaneRaider »

The game before this between the Tigers and Broncos has been the perfect advertisement for the captain's challenge. The Tigers have challenged and overturned two wrong decisions from the ref to save their season twice.
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

Tigers just won in Golden point
Shezza
Laurie Daley

Post by Shezza »

tragic wrote:Almost forgot about this game.
Looks our yard work stops now, and beers begin.

C'mon boys
Haha exactly!!!

Looking forward to this one.
2013 'Nella Awards - MVP
2013 'Nella Awards - Spite Day Winner
2013 'Nella Awards - Worst System (The Club)