Sickening hit on Canberra Raiders U20s hooker Matt Frawley

All the news on the Canberra Raiders lower grades, affiliate clubs and the Canberra Raiders Cup

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Sickening hit on Canberra Raiders U20s hooker Matt Frawley punished by five week ban

Canberra U20s hooker Matt Frawley spent two nights in Canberra hospital's neurology ward suffering from bruising on the brain and faces plastic surgery after he was smashed by a shoulder charge in a Holden Cup game last Saturday afternoon. He can't work, drive a car or run for a month. The player who did it, Warriors fullback Viliami Kaveinga, has been charged with a grade five dangerous tackle. He has taken an early plea and will miss five games. "The club has been great and they're taking care of my expenses," Frawley said.

Read more: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 6622019676
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Sickening hit on Canberra Raiders U20s hooker Matt Frawl

Post by greeneyed »

U-20s Warrior banned for a shoulder charge

A New Zealand Warriors under-20s player was traumatised after his sickening shoulder charge left a Canberra Raiders opponent hospitalised with a career-threatening head injury and serious facial damage. Viliami Kaveinga today became the first player to be suspended under the ARL Commission's controversial shoulder charge ban following his hit on Raiders hooker Matt Frawley. "Their doc went out, and then he went back to get something and I just said 'Do you want a hand?' He said 'yes' and he (Frawley) was still out when I got there," warriors doctor Simon Mayhew said. "From what we've heard there was a small bleed on the brain," said Mayhew. Mayhew said Kaveinga was "absolutely mortified" by the extent of Frawley's injuries.

Read more: http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/855 ... der-charge
Raider Bell
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Billyt

Post by Raider Bell »

5 weeks seems pretty light for the extent of the injury.
"A hex on your house, and more importantly your health"
"I truly hope the spirit of my mate gives you hell, you deserve it"
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

I referee local footy and shoulder charges are still rife despite them being banned. I'm not sure if players are forgetting that there's been a rule change, or just deliberately ignoring it. Probably both.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Canberra Milk wrote:I referee local footy and shoulder charges are still rife despite them being banned. I'm not sure if players are forgetting that there's been a rule change, or just deliberately ignoring it. Probably both.
I'd reckon a lot of it would be instinct for blokes that have done it for their whole lives wouldn't it?? It'd be like someone telling me playing touch footy I all of a sudden had to touch the ball with my foot when I dumped... there'd be times I'd forget, particularly in the first season or two after the rule change.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Yeah definitely for some instances. I think Buderus's was likely instinctual because it happened in a quick instance. Others like that Warriors one above, he's actually aimed up and taken him out, possibly cos he thinks bugger it, they're going to get a try anyway so I might as well put a hit on. I question the intent there.
Millsy
Gary Belcher

Post by Millsy »

That was a sickening late hit, 5 weeks is a joke, how about 12+ weeks.
Bard
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: JD

Post by Bard »

i was sitting just behind the try line in that corner. I have to say, it was one of the worst hits i have ever seen, especially the convulsions...reminded me of millers hit on weyman, except it was a solid shoulder to the face.

i made as much known to the warriors players in the corner.. and going off NRL's grading, this should have been at least six weeks (with an early plea)
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Agree Gus, not only was it the now banned shoulder charge but it was late and high. Former judiciary chairman Jim Commans in the 80's was able to clean up much of the game by giving players who attacked the head of others 12 month bans. Blokes like Les Boyd and Bob Cooper were put out of the game for a year or in Coopers case longer. The penalties for such illegal play have been reducing. I remember an U/20s match last year when one of our players copped a head slam and the bloke who did it was only outed for a few weeks. Attacking the head of a player should attract longer time on the sidelines for those who do it.
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Captain Croker

Post by Raidersrawesome »

Bob Cooper? I can't say I know of that one. What did he do RR?
Bard
Brett Mullins

Post by Bard »

Raidersrawesome wrote:Bob Cooper? I can't say I know of that one. What did he do RR?
Remember that fight between g stewart and adam blair?

Now imagine blair was the last man standing when the other manly players ran in ;)
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

Might have to google that one . I remember the Newtown / Manly stink
Bard
Brett Mullins

Post by Bard »

Raidersrawesome wrote:Might have to google that one . I remember the Newtown / Manly stink

basically he knocked out 3 illawarra players. I just asked dad about it, but its on wiki as well.
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

Thanks
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Sorry I'm so slow coming back to you RRA. Bob Cooper was a tall, lean second rower for Western Suburbs in the late 70s early 80s. He came through with the Roy Masters 'us against the world' attitude which included face slapping one another prior to matches. He had players like Tom Raudonikis, Les Boyd and John Donnelly as role models in his development years and they went out to intimidate to win footy matches. The rules at the time were lenient until Jim Commans was given control of the judiciary. He pretty much put Cooper out of the game. The sad thing was, he had some talent as a footballer. He had some speed about him and used to attack down the right. But when a stoush started, he couldn't contain himself. He had to go in and it didn't matter the size of player he swung at. Little blokes, big blokes as long as it wasn't in a Magpies jersey they were fair game.

It was a very different time and the game is better for having appointed Jim Commans into his role.
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

Thanks RR , I do remember those days from the early 80's ( enjoyed them in most part )

As an old Jets fan , I loved the Jets vs Manly semi brawl

I have no recollection of Cooper though , the others I do.

thanks again

edit: Just saw a picture of him on a Scanlan footy card , that I do remember and I dare say I would have had that card at that time
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

Hows the form of that cat in number 12 selectively king hitting blokes....what a low act.
Raiders Fan
Brett Mullins

How is Frawley?

Post by Raiders Fan »

Hope the kid is reasonably ok after the shocking incident.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

So 5 weeks for this and 3 or 4 weeks for Milfords tackle on the weekend. Seems reasonable :hmmm
Aero
Laurie Daley

Post by Aero »

edwahu wrote:So 5 weeks for this and 3 or 4 weeks for Milfords tackle on the weekend. Seems reasonable :hmmm
I still don't see why Milford's tackle was put on report and charged... aren't we supposed to tackle around the legs anymore?
2012, 2014 and 2015 Boogs Avatar/Signature of the Year
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Shadow Boxer wrote:Hows the form of that cat in number 12 selectively king hitting blokes....what a low act.
This was 1980 so we were under the old numbering system with No12 being the hooker (Numbering system was changed to International standard in 1989). I think it is Mal Cochrane. He won Dally M's as hooker of the year in the 1980s and was later named at hooker for the Indigenous team of the century.