2020 Canberra Raiders Cup

All the news on the Canberra Raiders lower grades, affiliate clubs and the Canberra Raiders Cup

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

2020 Canberra Raiders Cup

Post by greeneyed » September 19, 2019, 1:47 pm

Canberra Raiders legend Ken Nagas to take over as head coach of Woden Valley Rams in 2020

The Woden Valley Rams have announced Ken Nagas as Head Coach for the 2020 season. The 1994 NRL Premiership winner with the Canberra Raiders replaces Lincoln Withers, who was unable to commit to coaching next season due to work and family commitments.

“I’m really looking forward to it,” Nagas said. “It should be fun, very challenging but I’ve also had my own ideas on what I want as a head coach and I get to do that.

Read more: https://www.crrl.com.au/nagas-to-coach-woden-in-2020/

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 2020 Canberra Raiders Cup

Post by greeneyed » September 20, 2019, 4:27 pm

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed » October 14, 2019, 1:23 pm

Aaron Gorrell extends his stay as coach of the Queanbeyan Kangaroos

Aaron Gorrell has agreed to coach the Queanbeyan Kangaroos for an extra year, bringing his time as Head Coach to 11 seasons.

“Since Aaron’s been here, we’ve made the semi finals every year and played in six of the last ten grand finals,” President Leigh Kiely said. “There’s no rule to say that after ten years you expire as a coach. We still think he’s the best coach in local footy and we’re glad to have him on board again.”

Read more: https://www.crrl.com.au/gorrell-extends-kangaroos-stay/

Jedi Simbiken is back home with the Roos after having played the last couple of years with the mighty Redcliffe Dolphins in the Queensland Cup. It will be awesome to watch both Jedi and his brother Jeremiah kitting up for the club in 2020. Welcome home Jedi.

Queanbeyan Roos club statement

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed » November 5, 2019, 5:55 pm

Canberra Raiders Cup: Gungahlin Bulls sign Queanbeyan Blues hooker Zac Patch

The Bulls would like to welcome Zac Patch and his partner Ashley to the club!

A highly skilled and naturally talented player, Zac brings knowledge and a wealth of experience. He is a perfect fit for the 2020 squad.

Born in Bradford, England, he moved to Adelaide, aged 9. Zac came to Canberra playing in the Raiders 20's squad in 2017 and Monaro U23's in 2018-2019.

We are excited to see Zac on the field in 2020!

#wearegungahlinbulls

Gungahlin Bulls club statement

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed » November 5, 2019, 6:11 pm

Goulburn Bulldogs recruit two Fijian players

The Goulburn Bulldogs have continued their efforts to strengthen the club, after qualifying for the 2019 Canberra Raiders Cup Grand Final. They have recruited two players from Fiji, Jone Tabaiwalu and Soqoni Saurara.

Goulburn Bulldogs on Facebook

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed » November 13, 2019, 6:41 pm

Gungahlin Bulls appoint former Queanbeyan Blues mentor, Neil Bijorac, as head coach for next two years

The Gungahlin Bulls have announced the appointment of a new head coach, Neil Bijorac, for the next two seasons. He takes over from former Canberra Raiders player, David Howell.

Bijorac coached the Queanbeyan Blues to first grade premierships in 2005 and 2008, while he has coached the Blues to lower grade premierships in the past two years.

The Gungahlin Bulls would like to announce Neil Bijorac as head coach for season 2020-21!

Neil comes to us with an already long and successful coaching career, having previously coached Queanbeyan Blues First Grade, winning premierships in 2005 and 2008. He has also coached the Blues 18s and 19s to premierships in 2018 and 2019 and Reserve Grade to a premiership in 2004.

Neil also has international duties under his belt, having coached the Serbian u19s in 2018.

As a family club, we extend a big welcome also to Neil's wife, Soana, and their extended family and friends. We are excited for what lies ahead in 2020 and beyond!

http://ow.ly/AA0c50x9vYO

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed » November 14, 2019, 10:40 am

Canberra Raiders Cup: Shaun Fensom joins Belconnen United Sharks

Shaun Fensom has signed with the Belconnen United Sharks for next season. Nukurua Ngere (Queanbeyan Kangaroos), Sam Bramich (Gungahlin Bulls) and Seth Going (Canberra Royals rugby union) are also joining the Sharks.

"I'm excited. There's a little less pressure than playing professionally and you can enjoy footy a bit more and it'll just be good going out there on the weekend and running around."

Read more: https://www.crrl.com.au/shaun-fensom-si ... ed-sharks/

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed » November 20, 2019, 8:18 pm

Canberra Raiders Cup: Gungahlin Bulls sign Tre Williams for 2020

The Gungahlin Bulls have continued to build for 2020, signing half/fullback Tre Williams to the club. Williams was a Canberra Raiders junior, playing in the NYC and played 13 matches with the Queanbeyan Kangaroos in 2019. He’s also played on the Gold Coast with the Titans NYC team and with Tweed Heads.

Welcome to the club, Tre Williams!

Tre is a natural leader who brings a wealth of experience and a winning culture to the Bulls. Tre is a previous Australian Schoolboy representative who has also represented the Canberra Raiders and Gold Coast Titans in the U20’s competition.

Tre is equally damaging playing in the halves or at fullback and is looking forward to playing with the Bulls next season. And we certainly can’t wait to see him in action in the 2020 season!

#wearegungahlinbulls

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed » November 27, 2019, 7:03 am

Gungahlin Bulls sign Jacob Field for 2020

The Gungahlin Bulls would like to welcome Jacob Field to the club for next season! Jacob is returning to league following knee surgery last season and has previously represented the Canberra Raiders in its junior pathway teams right through to the strong U20s competition. Jacob is looking forward to getting back on the field and representing the Bulls in 2020.

#wearegungahlinbulls

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed » November 27, 2019, 7:29 am

Canberra Raiders Cup: Matt Gafa to coach West Belconnen Warriors in 2020

The West Belconnen Warriors are pleased to announce the appointment of Matt Gafa as the clubs First Grade Head Coach for 2020. Matt has a wealth of experience and knowledge, Matt played NRL for the Canberra Raiders along with a stint in the English Super League with the Harlequins.

Please join us in congratulating Matt on his appointment, the club is very excited for 2020.

West Belconnen Warriors club statement

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed » December 1, 2019, 2:18 pm

Queanbeyan Kangaroos sign Gundagai Tigers hooker James Luff for 2020

Group 9’s reigning Weissel medalist James Luff won’t be turning out for the Gundagai Tigers next season after committing to the Queanbeyan Roos for 2020. He will commute to Queanbeyan to train and play.

"I feel like I’ve achieved everything I can for the Tigers and in Group 9 and I really wanted to challenge myself," he said.

"I think he will add that touch of class; we have good young halves and he will offer some experience," Roos president Leigh Keiley said. "We also have Travis and Reece Robinson backing up again next season, so we should be in with a big chance again to feature."

Read more: https://www.tatimes.com.au/luff-departs ... ueanbeyan/

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed » December 4, 2019, 7:18 pm

Canberra Raiders Cup: Gungahlin Bulls junior Jack Williams returns

Gungahlin Bulls junior Jack Williams returns to the Bulls. Jack is another who has already won a first grade premiership and at only 17, has already achieved a great deal.

A junior Raider, Jack has also represented NSW in the U16’s and was selected in the Australian U15 merit team.

Jack is currently training with the Raiders U20 team, although still eligible to play SG Ball next season.

Jack is looking forward to returning to the Bulls, playing with his cousins and getting the Bulls back to playing finals football.

Welcome Jack!

#wearegungahlinbulls

Read more: http://ow.ly/is4I50xrnj8

Jordan and Corey Williams join their brother Tre and cousin Jack at the Gungahlin Bulls for 2020

Jordan and Corey Williams join their brother Tre and cousin Jack at the Gungahlin Bulls for 2020.

Jordan, although only 18, brings two years of first grade experience and already has a first grade premiership to his name. Jordan is a talented halfback who has come through the Raiders pathway programs and is currently a member of the Raiders U20 squad.

Corey has also been a part of the Raiders pathway teams and is returning to league following injury.

Both are looking forward to the season ahead.

Read more: http://ow.ly/ATxA50xrn8B