Parramatta press conference

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Parramatta press conference

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

It appears that Ray Hadley has revealed on his news program that Michael Vella may well be battling cancer. This has not yet been confirmed but we will know more at the press conference it appears.

Theres a press conference set down for later in the day.

I expect this to be 100% accurate from Hadley, pretty sad news. Never like Vella at all as a player, but you hate to see this happen to anyone. Good luck with it Mr Vella!!!!
DJ Raida
David Furner

Post by DJ Raida »

FORMER rugby league international Michael Vella will reveal this afternoon he's battling cancer.

The Parramatta Eels stalwart, who turned 25 just last weekend, will go public with the devastating news at 2pm this afternoon, the club confirmed today.

Details of the type of cancer from which he is suffering or when he was diagnosed will remain under wraps until then.

The club said it was keen to allow Vella the opportunity to break what would be difficult news in his own time.

Vella, who has played representative football for both Australia and Queensland's State Of Origin team, recently turned down a lucrative contract to play with Wigan Warriors in the English Super League. It is unclear whether or not his diagnosis came before that decision and if it had any bearing on it. The official reason for the snub to the former Super League champions was that he was happy at home. "Wigan are talking about me going over straight away but I'm contracted to Parramatta for the rest of this year," he told The Daily Telegraph at the time. More to follow

damn man- thats terrible
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

:o :nooo

well, glad to hear that he'll recover. but still, you don't wish this on your worst enemy. unless they're a real bad enemy.
thickos
Laurie Daley

Post by thickos »

Terrible shame for him, I wish him well.

Crap article though - he played for NSW. :roll:
Sasha
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Woodgers

Post by Sasha »

Poor guy, :cry:

hopefully he will recover soon.
DJ Raida
David Furner

Post by DJ Raida »

now he will miss the start of the season as well :doubt:
Nick
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by Nick »

dont rate him as a player but still wish him all the best and hope he makes a speedy recovery :)
llab yob
Brett Mullins

Post by llab yob »

He is a cat player but best wishes to him hope he gets well soon.
Inactive

Post by Inactive »

Best wishes for a speedy recovery ... having lost my mum from the disease when she was at her prime I can empathise with the Vella family.
Inactive

Post by Inactive »

I'll be back, vows Vella
By Dean Ritchie
February 25, 2005

PARRAMATTA forward Michael Vella has vowed to beat a cancer which has dramatically stalled his career.

Vella ... will miss at least two months.

A former NSW and Test player, Vella was discharged from Westmead Private Hospital yesterday after surgeons removed a thyroid cancer which was diagnosed last week.

It is expected Vella, 27 last Saturday, will miss at least two months of the NRL premiership but will play again this season.

Eels doctor Michael Johnson claimed the cancer was non-aggressive and said Vella should make a full recovery.

An upbeat Vella will next week undergo radioactive-iodine treatment but will not need chemotherapy. Doctors claim the radioactive-iodine treatment will kill off Vella's remaining thyroid cells.

Vella, who has played 132 first grade games and was in Parramatta's 2001 grand final squad, will start a program of thyroid replacement hormones.

He will take thyroid tablets for the rest of his life.

"I want to make it perfectly clear that I do not have cancer," said Vella, who appeared at a press conference with a bandage across his throat.

"I had cancer and it's been removed.

"It is an illness not an injury and it is an illness that I will recover from.

"Whilst I don't know at this stage when I'll be back on the field, I do know it will be sooner rather than later."

Vella had sought medical advice for a hoarse voice - which he has had for two years - when doctors took X-rays and found lumps in his neck.

Doctors claim thyroid cancer is usually cured for a person of Vella's age.

Vella withheld the news from his parents for four days until he had gathered more information and was told when he could undergo surgery.

He did not want to ruin his niece's birthday on Sunday - another reason Vella held back his shocking news.

Vella played a trial against the Sydney Roosters last weekend knowing he had the cancer.

Eels coach Brian Smith knew his player had been diagnosed and asked Vella if he wanted to play - which he did.

Vella's surgery took about 90 minutes and saw surgeons cut a 5cm incision in his throat.

"It obviously came as a shock to me when I was told the news, but I've had the operation and I'm feeling fine now," Vella said.

"I'm fit and this is something you don't think will happen to you.

"When you hear you have cancer, it would scare anyone.

"Parramatta has bought well this year and I wanted to be part of it and wanted to play every game. I know myself I can still play at the elite level.

"But this does make you sit back and look at the big picture."

Vella's treatment will weaken him and he will spend time in isolation.

"It was localised to the thyroid and some small glands behind it have been removed," said Parramatta club doctor Michael Johnson.

"The general side-effect will be fatigue."

Teammates claimed they were floored by the news and revealed Vella was unusually subdued last weekend.

"I just thought he was nervous about the trial game - the main thing is he is healthy and will be able to lead a normal life," said Eels captain Nathan Cayless. "I don't think he will be away too long."

Test forward Nathan Hindmarsh said: "Michael will get through this - he is a strong bloke. It just shows you no one is safe [from cancer]."

NRL chief executive David Gallop said: "Everyone in rugby league wishes Michael well. The rugby league community will be supporting him."

Johns wants Origin farewell

The Daily Telegraph

A good attitude .... best of luck Michael in your recovery but not in your team's exploits on the field :D
Nick
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by Nick »

yep, well said bay