Knights Consider Alcohol Ban

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Inactive

Knights Consider Alcohol Ban

Post by Inactive »

Knights players consider alcohol ban
February 22, 2005 - 7:14PM
Sydney Morning Herald

The Newcastle Knights are considering an alcohol ban for their away games as they face the prospect of losing a major sponsor over last weekend's drunken rampage in Bathurst.

** the article then goes on to discuss sacking and related sponsorship issues ***

The grim news for the side comes as the players regroup to consider what further measures can be taken to prevent repeats of such incidents, even after previous extensive education campaigns pushed by the NRL.

"At this point in time, we've discussed that we need to rethink some things but we haven't sat down and worked out what those things are," Conway said.

One such consideration included a total drinking ban for all away matches.

"The players themselves have tossed that issue up and we have told them that we'll be discussing all issues once we get through this initial period," he said.

"Our players' codes of conduct are all negotiated with the players to give the players a share of responsibility in these issues."

Coach Michael Hagan on Tuesday apologised for the players' behaviour.

"I would certainly like to apologise from the football organisation's point of view," Hagan said.

"It's not something you want to have to deal with at this early part of the year."

The coach admitted more work needed to be done to educate players about responsible drinking, including the club's senior players.

"We do have an issue with leadership and senior players within our club that have actually embarked on a leadership program in the last six months," Hagan said.

and about time someone took some LEADERSHIP regarding this issue.
hrundi99
Dean Lance

Post by hrundi99 »

Surely 3am is a little late for a curfew...

It should be 12am. They can then go to the pub for a few quiet ones and then go back to the hotel.
Canberra Raiders Supporter - Established 1982.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

12am?? come on man, it's not the 50's.
DJ Raida
David Furner

Post by DJ Raida »

12am is fine, they arnt there to party, they are there to train
Inactive

Post by Inactive »

Kris_man wrote:12am?? come on man, it's not the 50's.
Nothing wrong with the 50's K_Man.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Newcastle hit by full force of law
By Peter Kogoy and Stuart Honeysett
February 23, 2005

THE NRL season will start for the fourth time in as many years with a police investigation, after a 19-year-old woman claimed yesterday she was indecently assaulted by a Newcastle player at a Bathurst university on Sunday morning.

A six-strong unit under the command of New South Wales deputy commissioner Dave Madden will investigate the incident - the latest in a series of scandals to rock the code.

The alleged assault occurred the same night that 12 players broke a self-imposed curfew and went on a drunken rampage through a dormitory early on Sunday morning.

Knights rookie Dane Tilse was sacked by the club and banned from the sport for a year for "bringing the game into disrepute" and 12 Knights were fined a total of $50,000.

Madden said the formation of Strike Force Claine was a result of the alleged victim yesterday making a formal written complaint to police.

Madden did not release the terms of reference of the new inquiry, fearing a repeat of the Strike Force McGuigan probe into the Bulldogs' rape allegations from Coffs Harbour last year which has resulted in an internal affairs investigation into the police handling of the matter.

"The woman has made a formal statement indicating she was the victim of an indecent assault in the early hours of Sunday morning," Madden said. "She has provided a full statement and is considering her position in terms of future proceedings.

"Despite that, we are continuing with an investigation, a strike force has been formed and is working from Bathurst and Sydney investigating the allegation."

The alleged assault against the 19-year-old, whose name continues to be suppressed, took place in a block of units leased by the Bathurst campus of Charles Sturt University. The woman alleged she was groped while she slept in her dormitory.

Police and officials have not confirmed who is the subject of the allegations.

It is the fourth consecutive year the NRL season has started with a police investigation into allegations of sexual misconduct. Cronulla was investigated over an alleged incident in Auckland in 2002, while the Bulldogs attracted similar inquiries for separate incidents in Coffs Harbour in 2002 and 2003. In all cases, no charges were laid.

It has emerged that Tilse took part in the NRL's rookie camp last month which was designed to improve the off-field behaviour of young players.

"That's obviously not ideal but I believe, and many people in the game believe, the rookie camp was a great success," NRL chief executive David Gallop said yesterday.

"As far as I'm concerned it was still a great success."

Tilse apologised for his actions yesterday but maintained he had been made a scapegoat by the Knights.

"I am a bit disappointed the club hasn't supported me a bit more," Tilse said. "Some aspects have been blown out of proportion to a degree but I have some responsibility to account for.

"If you ask me, the punishment doesn't really fit the crime."

Newcastle chief executive Ken Conway said Tilse had no reason to feel hard done by over his sacking.

"He had every opportunity to defend his actions and chose not to, I give him credit for that," Conway said.

"I guess if I sat in his position I would feel hard done by but we acted on his admissions."

Conway gave Tilse a glimmer of hope about resuming his career by saying "the door was not closed" for the young prop.

"We terminated his current contract and the NRL has said it is going to cancel his registration," Conway said. "We certainly won't be talking to him about playing at this club again until such time as there's a registration available.

"We haven't ruled anything out. He is 20 years old ... he has made a mistake."

Knights coach Michael Hagan said he felt sad for Tilse, but he had no choice but to support the decision of the board to tear up his contract.

"I feel a fair bit of sadness for Dane Tilse given he has been at the club for four or five years, he had a good future in the game," Hagan said.

"I hope he has the opportunity to rekindle his career at some later stage, but obviously the club has seen fit to issue a very, very harsh penalty to send a clear message, not only to our players, but to every player in the game."

Additional reporting by Ray Gatt

The Australian

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The bit in bold is hard to comprehend! These players get trained, told, curfewed...... nothing works......
thickos
Laurie Daley

Post by thickos »

They're young, never had a job, and have a lot more $$$ and attention than people their age normally get.

Are you really that surprised?
Inactive

Post by Inactive »

thickos wrote:They're young, never had a job, and have a lot more $$$ and attention than people their age normally get.

Probably not thickos but this sort of behaviour should no longer be tolerated. Players must start to realise that they are the custodians of our great game of RL and that their behaviour on and off the field can have a direct result on the future of the game.

I hope I never have to refer to a Raiders player in this context but imo no penalty is too small to drive home the message.

It might be part of our culture but uncontrolled excessive drinking is a blight on the professional game of RL and in fact a blight on society in general.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

I don't think its the clubs fault for these actions. Sure some rules have to be put in place, but at the end of the day if the individual makes an irresponsible decision the club will not be able to change that. I don't know what the NRL can do to ensure this sort of thing stops, maybe suspend players indefinately without pay while they're under police investigation.
thickos
Laurie Daley

Post by thickos »

Bay56 wrote:
thickos wrote:They're young, never had a job, and have a lot more $$$ and attention than people their age normally get.

Probably not thickos but this sort of behaviour should no longer be tolerated. Players must start to realise that they are the custodians of our great game of RL and that their behaviour on and off the field can have a direct result on the future of the game.

I hope I never have to refer to a Raiders player in this context but imo no penalty is too small to drive home the message.

It might be part of our culture but uncontrolled excessive drinking is a blight on the professional game of RL and in fact a blight on society in general.
I agree with you bay... i'm just not surprised any more, thats all. After the past few off seasons I'm really jaded about the whole thing now.

Imagine how great our game would be if the players didnt shoot us in the foot?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Bay56 wrote:

I am not surprised, but I am saddened. The guy concerned actually went to a 3 day camp to learn how to behave about 3 weeks ago!

The Raiders have indeed just had an alleged case of very serious misbehaviour - in relation to drugs.

The good thing about the way the Raiders and Knights responded was that they were swift in their remedial actions and transparent. The way the Bulldogs handled their situation last season was a disgrace, in this regard.
SOULS 04
Jason Croker

Post by SOULS 04 »

i just wanna know what is wrong with these ppl and the world for that matter

what on earth makes a guy think he's allowed to do this sh*t
THE GREEN MACHINE PODCAST - https://soundcloud.com/user-792269565
Inactive

Post by Inactive »

SOULS 04 wrote:i just wanna know what is wrong with these ppl and the world for that matter

what on earth makes a guy think he's allowed to do this sh*t
quite frankly the amber liquid ... footballers+drink = trouble
DJ Raida
David Furner

Post by DJ Raida »

obviously alcohol souls
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

come on guys, he was just having some fun.
SOULS 04
Jason Croker

Post by SOULS 04 »

im sorry but there is no way shape or form that alcohol is an excuse... i have been liqoured up numerous times and the worst ive come up with is to get in the occasional fight.

and thats caus i want to fight too much.... but surely most of us can restrain ourselves when on the drink and if you cant a simple message DONT DRINK!!!
THE GREEN MACHINE PODCAST - https://soundcloud.com/user-792269565
Nick
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by Nick »

Gotta go with Souls here, ive been smashed like no tomorrow and been in the bed with a shelia but i still had enough sence to relise that she was too drunk and id be taking advantage of her.
Sasha
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Woodgers

Post by Sasha »

SOULS 04 wrote:im sorry but there is no way shape or form that alcohol is an excuse... i have been liqoured up numerous times and the worst ive come up with is to get in the occasional fight.

and thats caus i want to fight too much.... but surely most of us can restrain ourselves when on the drink and if you cant a simple message DONT DRINK!!!
So true,

I've been smashed at a University and still had enough common sense not to bang down all the doors at the UNi Dorms which were metres away.

However, If players get drunk and don't hurt anyone and don't break the law I don't think it shoudl be broardcasted all over the media, .