Kennedy to end rep career

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Frawley's PopTart
Simon Woolford

Kennedy to end rep career

Post by Frawley's PopTart »

Fox Sports wrote:Kennedy to end rep career
By Dean Ritchie
February 8, 2006

TEST forward Ben Kennedy is planning to quit representative football after being named Manly captain in place of the sacked Michael Monaghan.

Kennedy, a New South Wales and Australia player last season, said yesterday skippering the Sea Eagles could see him end his stellar representative career.

"That's the way I'm leaning. I really enjoyed it last year but with Sticky (former NSW coach Ricky Stuart) leaving the Blues and a new coach coming in, it might be time to give the rep stuff away," Kennedy said.

"After this (Manly appointment), I want to show a bit of loyalty to the club so I'd pretty much say, yeah, I've played my last Origin."

New Blues coach Graham Murray was disappointed to hear of Kennedy's plans.

"I haven't heard anything formal, but if Ben does quit rep football it will be a blow because he has been such a tremendous player for NSW and Australia," Murray said.

Kennedy was formally anointed Manly captain yesterday, ending months of speculation about whether Monaghan would retain the honour or new buy Matt Orford be given the leadership.

"I expected it (to lose the captaincy) but I'm definitely disappointed," Monaghan said. "It's what the club wants and I'll have to get over it. I have a few other challenges this year to worry about like changing positions (from halfback to hooker)."

Manly officials discussed Kennedy's sometimes awkward relationship with the media before announcing his appointment.

Advertisement:
But Sea Eagles coach Des Hasler said: "Ben Kennedy is an inspirational player and an obvious choice as captain."
Kennedy, who will be 32 when the competition starts, has a dream of pushing Manly towards their first premiership in 10 years - and he will use the Wests Tigers' triumph last year as proof it can be done.

Kennedy believes a new-look Manly side - with star recruits Matt Orford and Steven Bell - can trouble the competition's elite teams.

"I'll certainly be disappointed if we don't go better than last year (finishing eighth)," Kennedy said.

"There were three games last year we should have won and that would have put us near the top, but we're a lot better this year.

"Matt Orford's kicking game and his general game will allow us to build pressure. Last year we couldn't build pressure and let teams off the hook.

"I rate Steven Bell too. He is so strong and creates things out wide."

Kennedy said the Tigers' grand final win had inspired the Sea Eagles.

"It was bloody great to see the higher teams get rolled," Kennedy said.

"It just shows that anyone who turns up to play attractive and enthusiastic footy can win. It has a snowball effect.

"The Tigers were running hot. They played to 100 per cent each week."

Kennedy was planning to retire after this season but with renewed vigour and now the captaincy, may continue into 2007.

"When I first came here (12 months ago) I thought this would be my final year," he said. "But I could go for another year. I'll let Manly know sooner rather than later."

The decision to name Kennedy as captain ended Monaghan's turbulent one-year reign as skipper.

"Any time you captain a club like Manly, with so much history, it is disappointing to lose such a position (captain)," Monaghan said. "It was a job I was pretty proud to have."

Asked did he think his outspoken views counted against him, Monaghan said: "It might have had something to do with it ... I don't know.

"You'd have to ask the club that. But if I get asked a question I'm going to give an honest answer - that's just the way I am."

The Daily Telegraph

This Inner Peace Stuff Is Tough On The Old Coconut!
HOMER SIMPSON 1999