Stuart hits back at Sheens claims

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

AUSTRALIA coach Ricky Stuart hit back at claims from Tim Sheens today that only one Wests Tigers player had been considered for the Kangaroos squad.

Premiership-winning coach Sheens slammed the Australian Rugby League for failing to let him know where his players stood on the representative scene.

Sheens told radio station Triple M he had heard a rumour that only one Tigers player was considered for the 44-man national squad which went into camp in Bondi this weekend.

"No one from the ARL has bothered to ring me and say we didn't name you but this bloke, this bloke and this bloke were considered," Sheens said.

"It would've been nice to have publicly known from my players' point of view just where they stood.

"It's interesting that Brisbane players weren't considered but were named. My tip was that there was only one (Tiger considered)."

While the ARL signalled out several players, including Andrew Johns and Darren Lockyer, who were excused from the camp because of prior commitments, it did not individually name Wests Tigers players who were pardoned.

Stuart said he thought he was doing the right thing by the Tigers, who played a trial match in the NSW town of Gunnedah on Friday night.

The Tigers fly out to England tonight to prepare for their World Club Challenge match against Bradford on Saturday morning (AEDT).

Stuart said ARL boss Geoff Carr had explained the situation to both Wests recruitment manager Warren McDonnell and chief executive Steve Noyce.
"There were Tigers players considered," Stuart retorted. "I don't know how many times Tim Sheens has to be told.

"He's obviously not being told by his staff but there were Tigers players considered and selected.

"I thought I was doing the right thing by not inviting them into camp because they had a trial match in Gunnedah on Friday night.

"I also wanted to give them the best opportunity to prepare for the World Club Challenge.

"I've been there and done it and you don't need any offside distractions in regards to their preparation for the challenge in England."

Meanwhile, Stuart said he was pleased that rugby league Immortals Reg Gasnier, Johnny Raper and Graeme Langlands had chattered informally to the Kangaroos at a barbecue last night

"They spoke about the enjoyment they had on tours, the enjoyment they had playing for their country," said the Sydney Roosters mentor.

"They spoke briefly about the tradition of the Australian jersey. Chook (Raper) was very good.

"He's a very passionate and emotional person, Johnny Raper, and it was nice to hear from him."

Stuart has previously stated he wants to instil pride and passion back into the Australian jersey.

"There's pride in any national jersey," he said today.

"It's just a matter of how much you've got and how much you respect your position.

"With the Immortals, I just think it's important that players know a little bit about the history of the game.

"They were extremely great players of their time so it was nice to have them in our company."

www.news.com.au