Young and Furner Jnr to be co-managers for NSW SOO

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Young and Furner Jnr to be co-managers for NSW SOO

Post by greeneyed »

From news.com.au:

Young the new enforcer
By Dean Ritchie
February 9, 2005

HE is an ex-copper and rugby league hard-head, playing prop for St George in 234 first grade games during the blood-and-thunder of the 1970s.

Now former NSW and Australian prop Craig Young has been brought into the NSW State of Origin camp to ensure the highly publicised off-field dramas of 2004 are not repeated this season.

The NSWRL board yesterday named Young and Don Furner Jr as co-managers of coach Ricky Stuart's side for this year's Origin series against Queensland.

Last year's managers, Chris Johns and Gerard Raper, were not re-appointed.

Two players - Anthony Minichiello and Mark Gasnier - were sacked from the NSW squad last season for their part in the infamous mobile phone scandal while five others were fined, including Willie Mason, who returned to camp on a public bus one morning and signed another player's name at a shopping centre autograph session.

Young will be there this year to enforce a hard-line approach.

"Craig has played Origin for NSW and will bring a hard edge and no-nonsense style into our camp," Stuart told The Daily Telegraph.

Young said last night that he did not anticipate any more problems with the Blues.

"I don't envisage any dramas," Young said. "We have to look toward tomorrow - what's happened has happened."

Asked why he thought he was appointed, Young said: "I suppose it was experience and maturity.

"I have dealt with the NRL players and know what they are like.

"But it is a matter of whether I can get their respect and I'm confident I can do that - I'm looking forward to it.

"It is a tremendous honour. I am there to support the coach and help in preparations."

Stuart backed the two appointments. "I fully support the appointment of Craig Young and Don Furner," he said.

"Don is an up-and-coming administrator who has been a friend of mine for years.

"But it was a tough decision for the board. There were a number of worthy applicants for the position."

Raper said: "I am disappointed but I wish the new managers and coach success this year and hope they can continue NSW's dominance."

Laurie Daley, John Cartwright and Dean Pay are expected to be named NSW assistant coaches.

Daley, the former NSW captain, will also be a selector.

Meanwhile, Melbourne's Craig Bellamy will this Friday be formally named this season's Country coach.

A board meeting will confirm the appointment with Bellamy edging out St George Illawarra's Nathan Brown.

Bellamy takes over from Stuart, who is the new NSW coach.

And Cowboys coach Graham Murray said last night he was thrilled to have been re-appointed for a fifth term as City coach.

"I'm proud and privileged. The players make it a great week," Murray said.

The City-Country match will be played on May 6 in Lismore.

The ARL board will meet on February 23 to confirm both the coach and the international schedule for 2005.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

A lot of Raiders and ex Raiders here...... I still can't believe it is Don Furner Jnr..... he seems to be floundering in managing the Raiders....... but Stuart's comments are interesting.....

Theories can be posted below...... :)
Nick
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by Nick »

Thoerys heres one for ya:

Stuart is coming home to canberra the the end of his current roosters contract in 07, he relises that we struggle to attract name players due to a lot of thing, but mainly the idea that our management is inept, which it is, so by appoint Don Furner Jr manager people will get the assumption that we have good management, if they are recomended by NSW coach and champion player Ricky Stuart who are they to argue. and are more likely to sign big name players like SBW and alike, hence making his job apon return a whole lot easier

hows that?
Inactive

Post by Inactive »

I like the bit from Ricky ...

"Don is an up-and-coming administrator who has been a friend of mine for years"

that's it young don gets my support from here on end :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Sasha
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Woodgers

Post by Sasha »

Raider_69 wrote:Thoerys heres one for ya:

Stuart is coming home to canberra the the end of his current roosters contract in 07, he relises that we struggle to attract name players due to a lot of thing, but mainly the idea that our management is inept, which it is, so by appoint Don Furner Jr manager people will get the assumption that we have good management, if they are recomended by NSW coach and champion player Ricky Stuart who are they to argue. and are more likely to sign big name players like SBW and alike, hence making his job apon return a whole lot easier

hows that?
I LIke IT!! :D
tonio
David Furner

Post by tonio »

Bay56 wrote:I like the bit from Ricky ...

"Don is an up-and-coming administrator who has been a friend of mine for years"

that's it young don gets my support from here on end :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:shock:

You'll Never Walk Alone!
RAIDERS MEMEBER #1919 - Bay 53 - Row S - Seat 18
Former Canberra Raiders #1 Season Ticket Holder 2004 :)
hrundi99
Dean Lance

Post by hrundi99 »

I think Furner Jr may have a had a lot to do with Stuart's appearance at that charity event a few months ago.
Canberra Raiders Supporter - Established 1982.
thickos
Laurie Daley

Post by thickos »

Go Don you champion... while you're in SOO camp you should tell all the Blues players how good the weather and lifestyle is in Canberra, and how good the price of living is :mrgreen:
Nick
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by Nick »

thickos wrote:Go Don you champion... while you're in SOO camp you should tell all the Blues players how good the weather and lifestyle is in Canberra, and how good the price of living is :mrgreen:
:lol: damn straight