2021 State of Origin III: Blues V Maroons

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Who will win?

Blues 13+
43%
Blues 1-12
29%
Maroons 1-12
29%
Maroons 13+
No votes

Total votes: 7

yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Re: 2021 State of Origin III: Blues V Maroons

Post by yeh raiders »

Billy Walker wrote: July 15, 2021, 6:58 am
Scared Hitless wrote: July 15, 2021, 12:35 am
Canberra Milk wrote:1 try assist... you're not taking that seriously? Are you?
The NRL's stats, not mine. And the point still stands; he may not have set the world on fire but 4.5 is harsh.

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk
Nah 4.5 is fair. The blues players 1-5 were unstoppable in games 1 and 2 but last night they looked short of space and had no opportunities. You can say Qld stepped it up, you can point to the ref, but you can’t overlook a halves pairing that failed to give early ball or create chances. Makes you wonder how good the raiders back 5 might actually be??? Additionally Jack conceded at least two 7 tackles sets in the first half that destroyed all opportunity to build pressure. 4.5 is more than fair - he will never play in the halves for NSW again and will do well to keep the utility role with Hynes and Papenhausen (sp) nipping at his heels.
Yep the inability to provide early ball to the outside backs was a real failure of the halves.

I thought Moses could do it, I hope Jack would do it. Neither were good.

Throw in the number of crash balls to our forwards, when a crash ball was simply not on, and you’ve got yourself a grind and a tight scoreboard.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Botman wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: July 14, 2021, 10:29 pm
-TW- wrote:Yet still lost the series, shame

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
And were completely embarrassed in Games 1 and 2

So I guess going off GEs post, Origin is about getting absolutely humiliated twice at home, before salvaging some pride in a scrappy affair against an injury depleted team well off their game.
IN fairness QLD Spirit was built on the back of Barry Gomersall flat out match fixing, and we saw a little bit of that last night
QLD being managed into very advantageous positions by a referee hell bent on avoiding a clean sweep... a cynic might think a little more of that refereeing performance
I thought it was based on a 35 year old Arthur Beetson striking Mick Cronin? Or whatever.

They're a different species north of the border.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

dubby wrote: July 15, 2021, 8:00 am Joey Johns is s terrible commentator. Putrid.

He seemed in a foul mood right from kick off
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Imagine my surprise to come into this thread and read all these posts about the ref handing QLD the win. Blues had every opportunity to win that game but didn't.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

NSW didn't win because their halves sucked and QLD played better.

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

dubby wrote: July 15, 2021, 9:19 am NSW didn't win because their halves sucked and QLD played better.

Correct. Also don't believe QLD halves were great either. Munster was good in patches. DCE continued his ordinary form through the series. Only a matter of time before he makes way for Sam Walker.

Hunt and Ponga were the difference makers. By contrast Tedesco was quote poor for NSW. Tried hard as usual but kept going sideways and cutting back. Wasn't in sync with his team mates.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

greeneyed wrote: July 14, 2021, 10:21 pm Great performance from the Maroons! Courageous and gritty. They showed that they understand what Origin is all about and showed some true Queensland spirit. Great game from Josh Papalii.
:lol:
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
hrundi89
Brett Mullins

Post by hrundi89 »

dubby wrote: July 15, 2021, 8:00 am Joey Johns is s terrible commentator. Putrid.

His agenda against 6 agains is just plain dumb.

You have Fittler complaining about them siting on us in the ptb so the ref starts pinging them then Johns says "let the players decide the outcome of the game".
hrundi89
Brett Mullins

Post by hrundi89 »

Northern Raider wrote: July 15, 2021, 10:09 am
dubby wrote: July 15, 2021, 9:19 am NSW didn't win because their halves sucked and QLD played better.

Correct. Also don't believe QLD halves were great either. Munster was good in patches. DCE continued his ordinary form through the series. Only a matter of time before he makes way for Sam Walker.

Hunt and Ponga were the difference makers. By contrast Tedesco was quote poor for NSW. Tried hard as usual but kept going sideways and cutting back. Wasn't in sync with his team mates.
Yeah Tedesco was overplaying it. Even in the last minute or so he stutter steps around in circles when he should have just run wider and released the ball.
Scared Hitless
Peter Jackson

Post by Scared Hitless »

I think the newspaper/website headlines and general response from QLD players and fans after last night's game really highlights the difference in approach to Origin between the two states.

I cannot imagine Fittler/Tedesco taking any enjoyment from a victory in a deadrubber having so meekly conceded the series. On the flip side, I do appreciate QLD's ability to find optimism in every performance and actually buy into the oft-touted mantra that 'you are only as good as your last game.'

Personally, I think these money-grabbing games once a series has been decided are rubbish. It is strange to watch a team so comprehensively beaten in the series, celebrate a match win while the series winners - clearly disappointed in the match loss - try to get themselves up to celebrate the series win. But we seem to love playing out already decided series in a lot of sports in Australia.

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

hrundi89 wrote: July 15, 2021, 10:41 am

Yeah Tedesco was overplaying it. Even in the last minute or so he stutter steps around in circles when he should have just run wider and released the ball.
You can never knock Teddy for his effort. Sometimes he tries too hard. Almost a hangover from his Tigers days when if he didn't do something then nothing would happen.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Riaan
John Ferguson

Post by Riaan »

Billy Walker wrote: July 15, 2021, 6:58 am
Scared Hitless wrote: July 15, 2021, 12:35 am
Canberra Milk wrote:1 try assist... you're not taking that seriously? Are you?
The NRL's stats, not mine. And the point still stands; he may not have set the world on fire but 4.5 is harsh.

Disagree, he has the utility role locked down. He can pretty much play any role in the back 5 and could even be slotted into the send row if push came to shove.
I thought he out played Munster on the night but both were pretty hot and cold.

Nah 4.5 is fair. The blues players 1-5 were unstoppable in games 1 and 2 but last night they looked short of space and had no opportunities. You can say Qld stepped it up, you can point to the ref, but you can’t overlook a halves pairing that failed to give early ball or create chances. Makes you wonder how good the raiders back 5 might actually be??? Additionally Jack conceded at least two 7 tackles sets in the first half that destroyed all opportunity to build pressure. 4.5 is more than fair - he will never play in the halves for NSW again and will do well to keep the utility role with Hynes and Papenhausen (sp) nipping at his heels.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Northern Raider wrote:Imagine my surprise to come into this thread and read all these posts about the ref handing QLD the win. Blues had every opportunity to win that game but didn't.
All these posts? One post from Botman as far as I can see. Or maybe I just don't care.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Origin to propel Canberra Raiders prop Josh Papalii into big back half of season

He's feeling a bit sore after his State of Origin heroics, but Josh Papalii thinks he should be right to take on the Cronulla Sharks. The 29-year-old was put on report for a high tackle during the game, but was cleared by the match review committee.

"I'm a bit sore and tired at the moment, but knowing myself I'll be ready to go Saturday."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Dr Zaius wrote: July 15, 2021, 5:41 pm
Northern Raider wrote:Imagine my surprise to come into this thread and read all these posts about the ref handing QLD the win. Blues had every opportunity to win that game but didn't.
All these posts? One post from Botman as far as I can see. Or maybe I just don't care.
It was the first thing I saw when I jumped on and there were several supporting his view.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Northern Raider wrote:
It was the first thing I saw when I jumped on and there were several supporting his view.
There are 4 posts between yours and his, and none of them make reference to the referee
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

NRL website still claiming 6agains were 7 a piece. Nobody is buying that. I believe Gould was pissing and moaning at halftime and claiming 15 and that actually sounds like a more accurate figure.
Not blaming the ref at all for the result, it is very strange to claim those numbers though.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

From Kent's comments on NRL360, he is blaming Wighton for the loss with "his kicks that hit the fence" and "bombs not being contested". I think that is a bit harsh. There was none of that in the second half.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

There seems to be a lot of media hysteria about a 2 point loss margin. For me it was a close absorbing contest. It could have gone either way. So Origin is over for 2021 and the Blues won the series. Not much more to say except it's good to be a Blue.
Scared Hitless
Peter Jackson

Post by Scared Hitless »

Hong Kong Raider wrote:From Kent's comments on NRL360, he is blaming Wighton for the loss with "his kicks that hit the fence" and "bombs not being contested". I think that is a bit harsh. There was none of that in the second half.
I agree. One of the kicks that went dead was off the back of the left side play that broke down on the fifth. They nearly died with the ball anyhow and were lucky to even get a kick away.

Also, players deliberately give away six agains on the first (or second) tackle, so how is that any different?

I thought he had an above average game - all things considered.

Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Scared Hitless wrote: July 15, 2021, 6:59 pm
Hong Kong Raider wrote:From Kent's comments on NRL360, he is blaming Wighton for the loss with "his kicks that hit the fence" and "bombs not being contested". I think that is a bit harsh. There was none of that in the second half.
I agree. One of the kicks that went dead was off the back of the left side play that broke down on the fifth. They nearly died with the ball anyhow and were lucky to even get a kick away.

Also, players deliberately give away six agains on the first (or second) tackle, so how is that any different?

I thought he had an above average game - all things considered.

Some of Kent's questioning of Alexander was rude. Any regrets not picking Walker and Reynolds? Kent - Cody Walker has been tried before w/o success. 2019 (first game) and 2020.

Some journalist on the NRL website gave him 4.5 out of 10 which was the lowest mark that he gave - I think this is very harsh. I thought he got it together in the end. He did not miss Hunt close to the line (from memory Haas, Api and Dale Finucane were defending), or Ponga initially that gave the line break (Latrell) which led to the Hunt try. Sure, Ponga burnt him but he was not the cause of the line break. He also had a better game than Mitch Moses. Hopefully Jack responds to his critics this weekend by playing a blinder.

I really don't like Kent as a journalist. He's arrogant and rude.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Give it away HKR. He was trash.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

To be objective I think Jack can be a little one dimensional and not great at adapting his game on the fly. We've seen it all year, outside defenders rush up on his outside shoulder and his only option is to step of the left and go himself. If the inside defenders aren't lazy he is pretty easily shut down. I think he sometimes plays too flat and too predictable. He needs to vary his game a little. Get deeper, put a grubber in early to stop those defenders rushing up. Not to mention he and the team are out of form.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
hrundi89
Brett Mullins

Post by hrundi89 »

Northern Raider wrote: July 15, 2021, 11:39 am
hrundi89 wrote: July 15, 2021, 10:41 am

You can never knock Teddy for his effort. Sometimes he tries too hard. Almost a hangover from his Tigers days when if he didn't do something then nothing would happen.
Yep that's true.

He has an amazing motor. He's a bit of a freak really.
hrundi89
Brett Mullins

Post by hrundi89 »

I would have given Jack a 6. Kicks and ball-play were ordinary but he worked hard in defence and he scored with a bit of effort still left to do.

I'm not going to lose any sleep. With Cleary and Luai we win this comfortably.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

hrundi89 wrote: July 15, 2021, 9:42 pm I would have given Jack a 6. Kicks and ball-play were ordinary but he worked hard in defence and he scored with a bit of effort still left to do.

I'm not going to lose any sleep. With Cleary and Luai we win this comfortably.
Freddy gave Jack a 6 and that didn’t work out well for anyone…. :cmon
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Qld won by bounce of the ball luck,
2mins to go KP gets a hand on the matchwinner.
Qld's final try comes from a break where the ball is bounced around and goes qld's way.
Those are the 2 matchwinning plays, either goes the other way NSW blue rinse.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Qld cheated.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Dr Zaius wrote: July 15, 2021, 6:25 pm
Northern Raider wrote:
There are 4 posts between yours and his, and none of them make reference to the referee
It should also be noted that almost nothing I say about origin is designed to do anything but annoying the losing side :lol:

Big shouts to NR. Tremendous stuff all around
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

I don't usually consider myself bias, but I am starting to think I am given the commentary on Twitter/Reddit regarding Wighton. I thought he was OK. His first half was not great, but I thought he was good in the second half. He tried to give Mitchell early ball, was very solid in defence, scored a nice try where he had a lot left to do, and put a couple of nice bombs up (Tom should have scored from one). This is as opposed to Moses who was invisible in the first half, and got a lucky try assist in the second from a rushed kick (and who rarely, if ever, gave Tom early ball when he was up against AJ Brimson in the second half). I would rate Wighton a 6.5 or so, but I see media giving him a 4.5 and essentially blaming him for the loss. Am I missing something? I thought Moses was far, far, worse (and I am actually a fan of his).