2021 State of Origin III: Blues V Maroons

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Who will win?

Blues 13+
43%
Blues 1-12
29%
Maroons 1-12
29%
Maroons 13+
No votes

Total votes: 7

papabear
Steve Walters

Re: 2021 State of Origin III: Blues V Maroons

Post by papabear »

Canberra Milk wrote: July 5, 2021, 3:45 pm Utoikamanu on extended bench... he couldn't even make the Tigers side at times this year
Born in nz

Came through the grades in nsw

Qld what a **** joke of a state..
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

papabear wrote: July 6, 2021, 11:37 am
Canberra Milk wrote: July 5, 2021, 3:45 pm Utoikamanu on extended bench... he couldn't even make the Tigers side at times this year
Born in nz

He's a New Zealander on the reserves list for NSW.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

RedRaider wrote: July 5, 2021, 8:03 pm I'd like to congratulate Jack on being selected as the NSW 5/8. He will get every opportunity to showcase his talent. He has been a part of the squad all series so it did not surprise me to see him get the nod for the role. I expect him to get the job done.
I expect him to **** it up spectacularly and never play a starting role in the halves again.

I predict at least two droppsies, a kick out on the full, an intercept, two kicks dead, two bad missed tackles leading to tries, plus zero tries and zero try assists. He sucks.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I'll be cheering for Jack and the rest of the Blues, Finchy.

I hope they all go well. Lots of disruption to the NSW side though.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

greeneyed wrote: July 6, 2021, 11:43 am
papabear wrote: July 6, 2021, 11:37 am
Born in nz

He's a New Zealander on the reserves list for NSW.
I really hope papabear was being ironic. If not it's an absolute shocker. :lol:
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

RedRaider wrote: July 6, 2021, 1:04 pm I'll be cheering for Jack and the rest of the Blues, Finchy.

I hope they all go well. Lots of disruption to the NSW side though.
Oh don't get me wrong, I hope he goes well. It's a 'realistic expectation' vs 'hopes and dreams' thing though.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Jack will be fine with the talent that will be playing with him. He's generally been the type of guy to shine when things are going well for the team and struggle when things aren't throughout his career.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

Raiders_Pat wrote: July 6, 2021, 1:49 pm Jack will be fine with the talent that will be playing with him. He's generally been the type of guy to shine when things are going well for the team and struggle when things aren't throughout his career.
Except - first game for the blues, he throws the intercept that loses them the game. Last year, his defence was diabolical, and a large part of the reason the blues lost the series. He won't play centre again (unless through injury) he was that bad. Gagai and others gave him an absolute bath. This year he's come on with a few minutes to go, drops it. He's hardly set the world on fire surrounded by gun players in a winning team.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Jack will have a blinder and we’ll be like..**** !!!!
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

Venue change to Newwy confirmed. New South Wales will have a hostile home crowd behind them for the first time in 40 years.

Sydney lockdown prompts Origin III switch to Newcastle

With the Greater Sydney region's COVID-19 lockdown extended another week, the third State of Origin match has been switched to Newcastle' Hunter Stadium.

The match will be played in front of up to 20,000 fans or 75% of seated capacity. Fans located in Greater Sydney, including the Blue Mountains, Central Coast, Wollongong and Shellharbour will not be permitted to purchase tickets.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/07/07/syd ... newcastle/
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

I’m tipping Jack to have a cracker - I reckon he will be at juicy odds for MOTM as well. Hmmm :hmmm
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

First 2 games I looked at both teams and said the outcome is entirely up to NSW. If that team played anywhere near their best they would win, regardless of how well QLD played. I look at both teams this match and its lot more level playing field. A couple of key outs for NSW and some big ins for QLD (along with better positional selections) and we're back to a really good contest. Lets see if that transfers to what happens on the park.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Northern Raider wrote: July 7, 2021, 1:00 pm First 2 games I looked at both teams and said the outcome is entirely up to NSW. If that team played anywhere near their best they would win, regardless of how well QLD played. I look at both teams this match and its lot more level playing field. A couple of key outs for NSW and some big ins for QLD (along with better positional selections) and we're back to a really good contest. Lets see if that transfers to what happens on the park.
I agree - if the bookies don’t take those factors into consideration there might be some opportunities for the adventurous punter in this one. I could see NSW running up 50 or Qld getting one back. My tip would be NSW by 8 -12 but anything could happen here - looking forward to this one.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Billy Walker wrote: July 7, 2021, 1:09 pm
Northern Raider wrote: July 7, 2021, 1:00 pm First 2 games I looked at both teams and said the outcome is entirely up to NSW. If that team played anywhere near their best they would win, regardless of how well QLD played. I look at both teams this match and its lot more level playing field. A couple of key outs for NSW and some big ins for QLD (along with better positional selections) and we're back to a really good contest. Lets see if that transfers to what happens on the park.
I agree - if the bookies don’t take those factors into consideration there might be some opportunities for the adventurous punter in this one. I could see NSW running up 50 or Qld getting one back. My tip would be NSW by 8 -12 but anything could happen here - looking forward to this one.
2 game Multi. Raiders and QLD paying $20. Get on!!!
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Not much love for the Jack and Moses combo on talk back radio. Make em eat their words Jackie Boi
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders five eighth Jack Wighton heartened by vote of confidence from NSW Blues

NSW Blues five-eighth Jack Wighton is certainly relishing the opportunity to play in his preferred position for the third instalment of the 2021 State of Origin series.

“I’m one of those players, I put my best on the park each week,” Wighton said. “Obviously things aren’t flowing too well for us down in Canberra and it is something we’ve got to try and change. It’s definitely good for the confidence to be selected in this team in this team in the five-eighth position.

Read more: https://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2021/07/0 ... onfidence/
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Billy Walker wrote: July 7, 2021, 6:46 pm Not much love for the Jack and Moses combo on talk back radio. Make em eat their words Jackie Boi
Fair enough too. Both players are there on reputation and not on form.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Northern Raider wrote: July 8, 2021, 9:00 am
Billy Walker wrote: July 7, 2021, 6:46 pm Not much love for the Jack and Moses combo on talk back radio. Make em eat their words Jackie Boi
Fair enough too. Both players are there on reputation and not on form.
I don’t think the south’s halves are a patch on the Panther lads, but I would have put that combo in ahead of Jack and Moses. That said I hope Jack shows us all what he can do and despite him being horribly out of form I wouldn’t put it past him. Qld win and Jack MOTM must be paying a little….
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Jai Arrow fined $35,000, banned from Origin over biosecurity breach

Jai Arrow is out of the third State of Origin match after he was found to have breached biosecurity rules. He is facing a two match ban and a $35,000 fine. It is alleged he allowed an unregistered guest into the team hotel. Arrow has been isolated from the squad and will leave the camp to begin 14 days of home isolation.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/07/08/arr ... ty-breach/

Maroons star kicked out of Origin, fined after ‘bringing a female into camp’: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/07/08/arr ... ty-breach/
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Hope he showed some Queensland spirit

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Wonder if it was his partner.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

He's really let his state down big time. Not because he's been banned. It's because his replacement is Tom Flegler.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

At least someone from the maroon's scored

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Sid wrote:At least someone from the maroon's scored

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Was it a bullseye?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Shoving it in your face since 2017
radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by radicalraider »

Next week the entire state will realise Jack is not a 6.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

radicalraider wrote:Next week the entire state will realise Jack is not a 6.
Even though he won both the Clive Churchill and Dally M as a 6

Ok champ

dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

gergreg wrote:Mitchell **** Moses and Wighton? Reynolds and Walker unlucky imo.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
They're over 30. And the non singer is a flat track bully

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

-TW- wrote:Hope he showed some Queensland spirit

That's a myth and we all know that

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by radicalraider »

-TW- wrote: July 9, 2021, 5:17 pm
radicalraider wrote:Next week the entire state will realise Jack is not a 6.
Even though he won both the Clive Churchill and Dally M as a 6

Ok champ

Both illegitimate
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

SOO 3 moved to the Gold Coast. I have to say GOOD. Sydney has lost control of this Covid outbreak and it’s not ending well.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Origin finale moved to Gold Coast after NSW Covid chaos

Game Three of State of Origin 2021 has been moved to the Gold Coast after the NSW Government banned Newcastle from hosting a major crowd event in the wake of the Sydney Covid-19 outbreak.

While there has been no community transmission in Newcastle, the NSW Government informed the NRL that no fans would be allowed if the game went ahead in the Hunter. An emergency ARLC meeting on Saturday night then decided to shift the game moved north of the border.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 3b4ac75734

Gold Coast to host State of Origin III

The Gold Coast will host Origin III after the ARLC was advised by the NSW Government on Saturday that it would not allow a major event with a crowd to be held in Newcastle next Wednesday.

The NSW Government was ensuring the current outbreak does not spread to regional NSW. While there is no community infection in Newcastle, the worsening COVID situation in Sydney over the last couple of days caused the NSW Government to believe hosting a major event in a regional community with a crowd could create additional risk to the community.

Given that there will be no live crowd permitted for the event the Commission held an emergency meeting this evening and decided to move the match interstate to ensure a viable event and live match atmosphere for the final Ampol State of Origin match in the series.

The decision means the Gold Coast will host State of Origin for the first time in the city’s history. A capacity crowd of over 27,000 will be allowed to attend Wednesday night’s game.

NRL Chief Executive Andrew Abdo said the game wanted to reward Newcastle’s support of rugby league, but needed to respect the NSW Government’s decision.

“We are disappointed not to be able to give Newcastle the city’s first State of Origin, but we must operate within all State Public Health Orders and not having a crowd in Newcastle negates the opportunity for our fans from the region,’’ he said.

Mr Abdo said relocating to the Gold Coast presented a low risk option and would not impact either camp.

“The Gold Coast has a very low infection rate and both Origin camps are currently located within driving distance of Robina Stadium. It means neither team will be disadvantaged by travel,’’ he said.

“This is an exciting outcome for the Gold Coast. It will be the first time in history that the Gold Coast has hosted State of Origin.

“The Gold Coast is an important market for us and in the current circumstances presents a safe outcome for the community and a great outcome for our fans in southeast Queensland.

“It does mean all three games are played in Queensland, but our priority is ensuring the safety of the community and the continuity of the competition.”

“I want to thank the Queensland Government for yet again providing their support rugby league.

“I’d also like to thank Gold Coast Mayor Tom Tate for his strong advocacy for State of Origin to come to Robina Stadium and the support of the Gold Coast.”

NRL media release
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

3 - 0 series away from home will be hard to live down and unlikely a record that will ever be squared up.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Happy Jack: The simple message Wighton is giving himself for Origin III

Jack Wighton knows he has to be Jack Wighton to get back to his best.

“I just have to be me, I have to be Jack Wighton and not try to imitate anyone else,” Wighton said. “I just have to run the ball and enjoy my footy again. Consistency is probably the biggest thing for me. I’ve been consistent the last few years but I’m missing a bit of that at the moment.”

Read more: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/happy- ... 588kb.html
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Jack’s son has been named Kayce after a character in Yellowstone.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

greeneyed wrote: July 11, 2021, 12:27 am Jack’s son has been named Kayce after a character in Yellowstone.
On topic please.