2021 State of Origin I: Maroons V Blues

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Who will win?

Maroons 13+
14%
Maroons 1-12
71%
Blues 1-12
14%
Blues 13+
No votes

Total votes: 7

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Queensland Maroons V New South Wales Blues
Wednesday 9 June, 8:10pm
North Queensland Stadium
Tickets: Click here
TV coverage: Nine
Radio: ABC, Mix 106.3, 2CC

Queensland Maroons

1. Kalyn Ponga
2. Xavier Coates
3. Kurt Capewell
4. Dane Gagai
5. Valentine Holmes
6. Cameron Munster
7. Daly Cherry-Evans (c)
8. Christian Welch
9. Harry Grant
10. Tino Fa'asuamaleaui
11. Felise Kaufusi
12. David Fifita
13. Jai Arrow

14. AJ Brimson
15. Jaydn Su'A
16. Moeaki Fotuaika
17. Joe Ofahengaue

18. Kyle Feldt
19. Reed Mahoney
20. Coen Hess

New South Wales Blues

1. James Tedesco
2. Brian To'o
3. Latrell Mitchell
4. Tom Trbojevic
5. Josh Addo-Carr
6. Jarome Luai
7. Nathan Cleary
8. Daniel Saifiti
9. Damien Cook
10. Jake Trbojevic
11. Cameron Murray
12. Tariq Sims
13. Isaah Yeo

14. Jack Wighton
15. Junior Paulo
16. Payne Haas
17. Liam Martin

18. Api Koroisau
19. Campbell Graham

Officials

Referee: Gerard Sutton
Touch judges: Todd Smith and Phil Henderson
Video referee: Ashley Klein
Standby referee: Grant Atkins
Standby touch judge: David Munro
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Re: 2021 State of Origin I: Maroons V Blues

Post by The Nickman »

I quite like that Queensland side, and I don't say that every year... everything except the coach, that is. Not convinced about Green as an Origin coach AT ALL.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Not at all sure I’d be happy with that NSW forward pack if I were a Blues supporter, but I’m happy with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote: May 31, 2021, 2:00 pm Not at all sure I’d be happy with that NSW forward pack if I were a Blues supporter, but I’m happy with it.

What are your thoughts on Paul Green as Qld coach, Ferg? He doesn't seem like an Origin coach to me, seems very much like another Kevin Walters/Brad Fittler.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

greeneyed wrote: May 31, 2021, 2:00 pm Not at all sure I’d be happy with that NSW forward pack if I were a Blues supporter, but I’m happy with it.

Agreed. That Qld pack looks very good and very balanced.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Nickman wrote: May 31, 2021, 2:20 pm

What are your thoughts on Paul Green as Qld coach, Ferg? He doesn't seem like an Origin coach to me, seems very much like another Kevin Walters/Brad Fittler.
I'd have preferred last year's coaches.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Townsville to host State of Origin opener

The 2021 State of Origin series opener will be played at Queensland Country Bank Stadium in Townsville next Wednesday, 9 June.

The Australian Rugby League Commission and the Victorian Government today approved the relocation of the game from the Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG) after the COVID-19 outbreak in Melbourne.

Melbourne will now host games in 2024 and 2026.

National Rugby League (NRL) Chief Executive Officer Andrew Abdo said relocating to Townsville was the best option for the game.

"We’re operating in a pandemic and our absolute priority is ensuring the continuity of the competition and our Major Events,’" he said.

"Townsville has the lowest risk of a COVID outbreak impacting the game and the least financial fallout of the available venues.

"Townsville is also a new, state of the art venue, with the capabilities to host an event with a global audience like Origin, placing it ahead of alternate regional locations."

Mr Abdo said the game was excited to create history in Townsville.

"Despite the challenges, COVID has also presented some unique opportunities, and playing State of Origin in Townsville for the very first time is another one of those occasions. The passion North Queenslanders have for our game is something special and we’re really excited to reward the region with an Origin game.

"I understand some fans will have wanted a neutral venue but the reality is we are working within a pandemic and we have to make decisions that ensure Origin proceeds as scheduled and with the lowest financial impact on the game.

"I want to thank the Queensland Government, in particular Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk, for her ongoing support of rugby league. We partnered together to have 130,000 fans at Magic Round and we are looking forward creating a special Origin next Wednesday."

Mr Abdo also thanked the Victorian Government and Visit Victoria for their support of State of Origin.

"We’re very disappointed that we can’t open the series at the MCG. We really wanted to bring a major event to Melbourne after everything Victorians have been through over the last year," he said.

"Public safety is our absolute priority and given the current outbreak, it remains uncertain whether we could host a mass gathering in Melbourne next week.

"We’re excited to confirm that Origin will return to Melbourne in both 2024 and 2026."

Mr Abdo thanked all governments who offered to host Origin next Wednesday.

"The interest in hosting Game I next week has been remarkable. It shows the strength of State of Origin and I want to genuinely thank all governments for their ongoing support."

Tickets for Game I in Townsville will go on sale to North Queensland Cowboys Members, Maroon Members and Blatchys Blues at 1pm on Wednesday. General admission tickets will be available at 3pm on Wednesday from $49 via nrl.com/tickets.

NRL media release
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote: May 31, 2021, 4:01 pm
The Nickman wrote: May 31, 2021, 2:20 pm

I'd have preferred last year's coaches.
Yup, me too. Wayne Bennett up against Freddy Fittler until the end of time.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

I worry that Tupou isnt defending Coates in the air, but Freddy got his back 5 100% right.

Luai deserves his shot, and while I really hope I'm wrong, I don't think he succeeds. Cody Walker 2.0 if you will.

Cleary is obvious.
Cook is obvious.
DSaf and Haas obvious.

This is where injury and suspension get in the way...

Yeo is an incumbent, and was solid last yr. He is in the best team in the comp. Also a combo pick with his halves. I'm ok with it, but not sure about a starter.

Jurbo... is DAMN lucky his bro came back. He was trash for 4-6wks to start the yr. Again, not sure about starting prop, but I smell a change for 1 of the benched big boppas.

Paulo... sorry, but while he came out the gate, he hasn't been that great lately. I reckon NBrown is more suited to origin. And while his form isn't awesome either, he is bat poop crazy, and will run into a brick wall all day for fun. Not the penalty magnet he once was either.

Martin is another built for origin. Doesnt seem to feel pain. Happy to dish it out. Not too bright though, and that worries me. But again, a panthers combo guy. He is Frizell if not for an ankle injury yesterday.

Sims... I used to think this bloke was made for origin. He is old skool origin though. #Thuglife. He is Gus if not for suspension.

Now... if im TPJ or Matterson, what are they thinking?!?

As for Jack... he doesn't deserve to be there on this yrs form. Not even close. But he is a handy insurance policy for the blues back 7
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Junior Paulo will shock me if he plays well. Looked too heavy last year, looks too heavy again this year. Blokes who are that immobile deserve to be torn up at origin level.

Blues backline is outstanding though. Best 1-7 NSW have had in a while.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I think Penrith could easily have had another couple of backs in the Blues line up. Stephen Crichton as a left side center where he played most of last year and the versatile Matt Burton on the bench. The Panthers halves are leading an undefeated side this year so I like that they have been kept together. Their kicking games will go a long way to provide the field position needed. Lots of pace and skill and leaping ability in the Blues three quarter line.

The Blues pack is full of workers but there are few dominant forwards in the line up. Safiti has good go forward, but the named starting line up I think will change before game day. There is need for another big bopper on the field to start and I would select Haas for the role as he can also play long minutes. Jurbo to lock and Yeo to the bench. The Qld pack looks to have a clear edge in strike players. Blues will have to face the first two matches in Qld and I think that will be a Qld advantage to play in front of home Qld crowds.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

True Blue legends inducted into Hall of Fame

True Blues Billy Smith, Brett Kenny and Glenn Lazarus have been unveiled as the latest inductees into the NSWRL The Star Hall of Fame during the annual True Blues dinner on Monday 31 May.

Read more: https://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2021/05/3 ... l-of-fame/

VIDEO: Glenn Lazarus reflects on admission to NSW Hall of Fame: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/06/01/ken ... l-of-fame/
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Not a Queenslander but I think QLD is gonna win this year
Scared Hitless
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Scared Hitless »

Although they both deserve their spots, I have a feeling Luai and To'o are both going to get schooled by QLD.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Felise Kaufusi free to play Origin I after not guilty verdict

Felise Kaufusi will lend his invaluable experience to the Maroons pack in the State of Origin opener after beating a tripping ban at the judiciary.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/06/01/fel ... y-verdict/
gerg
Laurie Daley

Re: 2021 State of Origin I: Maroyons V Blues

Post by gerg »

So if he wasn't tripping what was he doing?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 2021 State of Origin I: Maroyons V Blues

Post by greeneyed »

gergreg wrote: June 1, 2021, 7:36 pm So if he wasn't tripping what was he doing?
The story explains. I'm not surprised. Murray and Yeo didn't even get charged. It's Origin time.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

The 'chewbacca' defence wins again.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

That Palaszczuk gronk really epitomizes Queensland, and that **** low brow runs the state.
This place is woke.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Queensland Maroons star Kalyn Ponga ruled out of Origin I

Queensland Maroons coach Paul Green has today confirmed Kalyn Ponga has been ruled out of the opening game of this year’s State of Origin series.

“Kalyn has been progressing with his rehab but time is against us and the decision has been made for him to return to the Newcastle Knights where he can focus on further recovery," team doctor Matt Hislop said.

Read more: https://www.qrl.com.au/news/2021/06/02/ ... lyn-ponga/
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Qld to move Holmes to Fullback and Feldt to the Wing to play in front of their home NQld crowd. Saw a brief part of an interview with Freddy Fittler and he was not looking particularly confident. Not sure why, but there was no larrikin to him as is more usual.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Love seeing Feldt get a game.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

zim wrote: June 2, 2021, 9:23 pm Love seeing Feldt get a game.
Expect an aerial attack with two shorties on the wings for the blues. Tommy and Lattrell are going to have to do a lot of blocking.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Relax gerg. We're going to score so many points a bomb or 2 won't matter.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders star Jack Wighton says Luai deserves NSW Blues No.6 jersey

Canberra playmaker Jack Wighton concedes Jarome Luai deserves the NSW No.6 jersey for the Origin series opener as he prepares to play in the back row for the first time.

"It is no secret that Romie and Clears have been one of the best halves combinations in the whole comp. Everyone can see that, and I am stoked for Romie to make his debut also. Every time I get picked for this team I truly count it as a blessing so I am just happy to be able to do my part and help out wherever I can."

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/06/03/wig ... .6-jersey/

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 7518da5d3d
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

State of Origin to recharge Jack Wighton for Canberra Raiders

Origin. It's a chance for NSW Blues utility Jack Wighton to recharge.

"It's not about putting the Raiders problems behind me, but I'm definitely using it to recharge and get a good vibe off all the other boys," he said. "We're all here on the same kind of task. It'll definitely be good to recharge the batteries and then get back into it when I get back to my Raiders boys."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Josh Papalii to watch State of Origin opener from afar as he serves final game of three-match suspension

Josh Papalii will be forced to watch Origin I from Canberra as he serves the tail end of a suspension.

"It's going to be hard [to watch] but then obviously those boys that have been picked, they've been picked for a reason, they've been doing their job and they've been playing well. I've been in up and down kind of form this year, and I probably speak on behalf of the whole club as well."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

'Copping it on the chin': Papalii out to make amends after ban

Josh Papalii's shoulder to the jaw of Canterbury's Tui Katoa put him out for three weeks, including Origin, but he's copped the ban "on the chin", so to speak, as he returns to the field this Saturday.

"I'm all good, I had a three-week holiday there," Papalii said. "I got to spend more time with family, did a bit of running as well and got to watch footy from the outside. I am [refreshed], pretty pumped. Just a shame I can't play on Wednesday but it is what it is, that's footy, I have to learn how to adapt to the new rules."

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/06/08/cop ... after-ban/

VIDEO: Papalii Origin prediction: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/06 ... nd-origin/
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

The NSW 1 to 7 look insanely overpowered on paper...
whether that translates onto the pitch is another story...
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Wighton’s surprise role for Origin

Raiders coach Ricky Stuart has tipped Jack Wighton to be used as a forward off the bench in tonight’s Origin.

Brad Fittler told the Sydney Morning Herald that Wighton “covers everything from backrow out [to the wing]” and that he could even “play fullback” if injuries strike. Stuart also floated the idea of playing Wighton in the middle or on the edge, telling the Herald: “If needed for a shorter stint he could play on an edge or even play in the middle.”

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... c6851b5a96
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I just hope Jack puts in and plays for NSW just like he has been for the Raiders this season.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Can't see Jack covering fullback with Mitchell and Trbojevic there, or the edge with Martin on the bench. The three bench players will all be ahead of him to play in the middle too, and Haas can do big minutes.

Think he's there primarily to cover 2 to 6 and *gulp* possibly hooker, if Cook were to go down - the latter being firmly as a result Fittler's space cadetship.
Last edited by afgtnk on June 9, 2021, 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Jack just needs to come on and kick it on fifth every set and kick it as **** hard as he possibly can.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Easy win for N.S W
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Raiders666 wrote: June 9, 2021, 3:31 pm Easy win for N.S W
I hope your form holds true, old friend!
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

So much attention on the blues backline but I think the QLD pack looks superior and Origin is often won in the forwards.