2021 NRL Round 10: Teams and Game Day

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Re: 2021 NRL Round 10: Teams and Game Day

Post by gangrenous »

If you make it a judgement it’ll just slide back to what it is now again. Crack down hard on it and people will change how they approach tackles to reduce the chance. Just show some fortitude.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The number of rule changes... it’s a shambles what’s going on, let’s face it. And we’ve just about got OzTag.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Why do people keep saying that like it’s a bad thing?

Dammit! We’ve just about got a big bowl of strawberry ice cream on a warm day!
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

These blow out scores do not make the game entertaining. Really, really sad to see. The amount of games I have turned off this season due to a thumping score is ridiculous.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Most of that is the fault of the Broncos being **** to be fair
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Wild opening rounds
how many sin bins? Both games had teams defend with 11 on the field at a time

this bodes ill for our **** unfit football team
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Mickey_Raider wrote: May 14, 2021, 9:15 pm
Botman wrote: May 14, 2021, 8:26 pm Saab is a perfect example of angle breaking speed

Broncos defender gave him space thinking he had the angle on him... never had a **** prayer
We need some of that desperately
Yep.

I can’t remember the last time we had an out an out speedster in our team...was it Phil Graham?

There is nothing quite like the excitement of seeing them in space and knowing that no one or very few players can catch them.

We need that ASAP.
Yeah i dont even know that Graham was on this level, he was definitely quick, Best in that season was similar. Probably 8/10 speed guys. Our last 10/10 broken speed player might have been Mullins/Nagas :roflmao
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Botman wrote: May 14, 2021, 10:12 pm
Mickey_Raider wrote: May 14, 2021, 9:15 pm
Botman wrote: May 14, 2021, 8:26 pm Saab is a perfect example of angle breaking speed

Broncos defender gave him space thinking he had the angle on him... never had a **** prayer
We need some of that desperately
Yep.

I can’t remember the last time we had an out an out speedster in our team...was it Phil Graham?

There is nothing quite like the excitement of seeing them in space and knowing that no one or very few players can catch them.

We need that ASAP.
Yeah i dont even know that Graham was on this level, he was definitely quick, Best in that season was similar. Probably 8/10 speed guys. Our last 10/10 broken speed player might have been Mullins/Nagas :roflmao
I dunno I definitely remember Graham being regarded as one of if not the quickest player in the comp at a certain stage of his career.

In any case, get me some speed immediately.
Up The Milk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Eight sin bins in two games... it's ridiculous because some of them at the very least were not sin bin offences.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

greeneyed wrote:Eight sin bins in two games... it's ridiculous because some of them at the very least were not sin bin offences.
I don't care what changes are made, so long as they are consistent. And that is where the NRL fails every year. We'll probably see 4 sinbins a game this weekend but there will be a backflip somewhere. The top 5 teams of course won't be affected.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gergreg wrote: May 14, 2021, 11:02 pm
greeneyed wrote:Eight sin bins in two games... it's ridiculous because some of them at the very least were not sin bin offences.
I don't care what changes are made, so long as they are consistent. And that is where the NRL fails every year. We'll probably see 4 sinbins a game this weekend but there will be a backflip somewhere. The top 5 teams of course won't be affected.
Tonight showed there’s something very wrong with the administration of rugby league.

The referees only did what they’ve been told to do.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Ha Ha Donkeys..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

greeneyed wrote:
gergreg wrote: May 14, 2021, 11:02 pm
Tonight showed there’s something very wrong with the administration of rugby league.

The referees only did what they’ve been told to do.
We won't agree on some of the changes. I hate how the ref's kept calling a player out of the play instead of just penalising them, now with the 6again they seem more willing to penalise teams/players. They do still call the player out though which I still don't like.

But this new knee-jerk is stupid. The real problem, which desperately needs fixing, is the mrc and judiciary. They want to get foul play out of the game they need to hand out lengthy suspensions. They've done exactly that in the past and it worked. How Kaufisi got 2 **** weeks for striking Matterson in the head with a clear and deliberate elbow is ridiculous. In martial arts an elbow is considered a very lethal strike. It deserved 15 weeks. You can't then give someone else 2 weeks for a crusher tackle - which is often awkward or not overly intentional.

They missed the knees from Brown on Hutchinson last week but I didn't think it was too bad. This is a collision sport. Sometimes timing is off, things go wrong and accidents happen. Slater would do much worse on a weekly basis and get away with it. But not sending Niukora was wrong. But we as a sport need to move onto the next step of the process and get that right. But they suspended him for 3/4 weeks. So they got it wrong on the field and then got it wrong at the judiciary. Like I noted earlier suspend it for longer.

So now instead of fixing the real issue they've heaped even more pressure on the referees. I'll be watching Kikau and JWH very closely this weekend to see how they go.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Doing it at the judiciary alone doesn’t solve the problem.

This is largely because of concussion rules which means teams are losing players in game far more often. There needs to be an in game balancing mechanism that penalises the offending team at the time.

But yes, longer suspensions are part of the solution.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Also give me people who are willing to try to fix problems and adapt/refine, than people who ignore problems until someone gets royally **** by them (hello Trainers on field).

I think the adjustment to the rule is:
* independent doctors gauge if player needs an HIA.
* if player needs an HIA any responsible player is sin binned.
* if the player passes their HIA both can return to the field.
* if the player fails their HIA the offending player cannot return, but the offending team may return to 13 men.
* further the referee retains the right to sin bin or send off for a dangerous high shot, or repeated infringements.

I’m also not going to cry a river for teams at disadvantage through illegal play in the meantime. Much better than earlier in the season where the recipients are the ones suffering.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

gangrenous wrote:Also give me people who are willing to try to fix problems and adapt/refine, than people who ignore problems until someone gets royally **** by them (hello Trainers on field).

I think the adjustment to the rule is:
* independent doctors gauge if player needs an HIA.
* if player needs an HIA any responsible player is sin binned.
* if the player passes their HIA both can return to the field.
* if the player fails their HIA the offending player cannot return, but the offending team may return to 13 men.
* further the referee retains the right to sin bin or send off for a dangerous high shot, or repeated infringements.

I’m also not going to cry a river for teams at disadvantage through illegal play in the meantime. Much better than earlier in the season where the recipients are the ones suffering.
I think you mean when an act of foul play is committed? Because often HIAs occur through a head clash or when the defender puts his head on the wrong side and collects a hip.

I agree with your comments and I'd like to see some data on HIA to see if sides are abusing the system. Just an eye test but it seems teams are quicker to bring off a player for an HIA if they are a 'rotation' player rather than an 80 minute player.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

gergreg wrote: May 15, 2021, 7:59 am I'll be watching Kikau and JWH very closely this weekend to see how they go.
This new standard says they should have about 3 stints each in the bin. My money is on zero however.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

gergreg wrote:I think you mean when an act of foul play is committed? Because often HIAs occur through a head clash or when the defender puts his head on the wrong side and collects a hip.

I agree with your comments and I'd like to see some data on HIA to see if sides are abusing the system. Just an eye test but it seems teams are quicker to bring off a player for an HIA if they are a 'rotation' player rather than an 80 minute player.
By responsible I’m meaning that they have caused it through foul play or carelessness. If there’s an accidental head clash I wouldn’t consider anyone responsible.

Absolutely you’re right teams are abusing HIA and when the player leaves the field. It should be independent and when the doctor nominated that player the team should have 1 minute to get them off or face large sanctions.
Thomas Raider
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Thomas Raider »

Souffs score through Koloamatangi,converted by Reynolds, Souffs 6 Gummies o
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Call the penalty at the time or **** let the game play on.

Who came up with this Bull ?

This change is atrocious.
Thomas Raider
Brett Mullins

Post by Thomas Raider »

Soft serve and Townsend off side,penalty converted by Reynolds,Souffs 8, Gummies 0 after 14 minutes
Thomas Raider
Brett Mullins

Post by Thomas Raider »

Try in the corner by Johnstone, great pass by Bunji,converted by Reynolds,Souffs 14,Gummies 0,20 minutes gone
Thomas Raider
Brett Mullins

Post by Thomas Raider »

Jaydn Su'a in bin for a supposed high shot on Sharon Woods,geez that's soft :rant
Thomas Raider
Brett Mullins

Post by Thomas Raider »

Thomas Raider wrote: May 15, 2021, 6:05 pm Jaydn Su'a in bin for a supposed high shot on Sharon Woods,geez that's soft :rant
Maybe a shoulder to the head..No idea
Thomas Raider
Brett Mullins

Post by Thomas Raider »

Souffs score through Walker,converted by Reynolds,Souffs 20,Gummies 0 after 30 minutes
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Thomas Raider wrote:
Thomas Raider wrote: May 15, 2021, 6:05 pm Jaydn Su'a in bin for a supposed high shot on Sharon Woods,geez that's soft :rant
Neck, after the Papa send off it had to be

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Thomas Raider
Brett Mullins

Post by Thomas Raider »

Jack Williams for the Gummies held up over the line
Thomas Raider
Brett Mullins

Post by Thomas Raider »

-TW- wrote: May 15, 2021, 6:10 pm
Thomas Raider wrote:
Neck, after the Papa send off it had to be

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
No idea TW,looked like nothing to me
Thomas Raider
Brett Mullins

Post by Thomas Raider »

Gummies score through Kennedy,converted by Townsend,Souffs 20,Gummies 6,after 38 minutes
Thomas Raider
Brett Mullins

Post by Thomas Raider »

Half time score,Souffs 20,Gummies 6
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Appreciate the updates Tom!
Thomas Raider
Brett Mullins

Post by Thomas Raider »

gangrenous wrote: May 15, 2021, 6:22 pm Appreciate the updates Tom!
Cheers Gangers
Thomas Raider
Brett Mullins

Post by Thomas Raider »

Try to Sharon Woods near the posts,converted by Townsend, Souffs 20,Gummies 12. 19 minutes to go
Thomas Raider
Brett Mullins

Post by Thomas Raider »

Souffs looking very bored in the 2nd half :lol:
Thomas Raider
Brett Mullins

Post by Thomas Raider »

Gummies score through Nikora,conversion missed by Townsend,Souffs 20,Gummies 16. 11minutes to go