2021 NRL Round 9: Teams and Game Day

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Re: 2021 NRL Round 9: Teams and Game Day

Post by Makaveli »

So we're back to only eyes for the ball..

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Wow, Mahoney to Paulo who offloads back to Mahoney who holds up beautifully and finds Cartwright. That is classic rugby league.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

greeneyed wrote: May 7, 2021, 7:51 pm The way the Panthers carried on at the end of that game, it was as if they won the Grand Final. I really, really hope that at least the Storm can beat them.
Heaven forbid we would have people enjoying their sport. Why can’t they all just be robots who are only in it for the money??
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

We had Cronk a few weeks ago complaining about players running others off the ball on kick chases.

Now we have Slater complaining about players coming in with the knees in try scoring situations.

What are these two smoking?
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

What are peoples thoughts on the Niukore hit on Tedesco? In rugby that would be a red card and three weeks. There was a very similar incident with the Brumbies captain a few weeks ago and he got sent off and got three weeks. There was a similar one for a Force guy last week and he also got a red card.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

For those that are saying the footy is not fantastic this year, I would like to submit to the jury the first half of Eels v Roosters.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gergreg wrote: May 7, 2021, 8:21 pm I prefer rugby league over wrestling.
The issue is, the athletes can't keep up. The officiating is producing waves of momentum and the balance has shifted far too much in favour of attack. It can't last like it is. People are going to switch off, because watching blow out after blow out isn't entertaining. We've seen it happen before. The world will turn on it.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Dr Zaius wrote: May 7, 2021, 8:56 pm We had Cronk a few weeks ago complaining about players running others off the ball on kick chases.

Now we have Slater complaining about players coming in with the knees in try scoring situations.

Inside knowledge.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Dr Zaius wrote: May 7, 2021, 8:56 pm We had Cronk a few weeks ago complaining about players running others off the ball on kick chases.

Incredible that the knees have been missed. It required being put on report at least, even if the prior offence drew the penalty.
Vintagecrop
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs

Re: 2021 Rd 9 V Knights: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by Vintagecrop »

Have rarely, for far this season on the few matches I've seen, seen more 'drifting' forward passes than in the Parra/Easts game tonight.

Ferguson and Paulo have been solid.

Wasn't going to happen with Fergo - even without Duges - but shame we didn't get more from Paulo.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

greeneyed wrote: May 7, 2021, 9:01 pm
The issue is, the athletes can't keep up. The officiating is producing waves of momentum and the balance has shifted far too much in favour of attack. It can't last like it is. People are going to switch off, because watching blow out after blow out isn't entertaining. We've seen it happen before. The world will turn on it.
Or the fitness and sports science staff who are paid very good money, might have to adjust the training loads so the players are leaner and more endurance athletes than simply power athletes.

I disagree the athletes can’t cope. We have three contact football codes in this country. RL no longer has anyone that looks like a rugby front rower, 13 men on the field and the pace of the game doesn’t allow it. Conversely we have athletes in AFL that are far less stronger than than rugby league but have far greater aerobic capacity. Maybe our players need to move to closer to that.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

So Drew Hutchison has gone to hospital with a punctured lung and a broken rib. Dylan Brown was put on report, not that anyone could tell from what happened on the field. But you'd think the sin bin would have been used for that.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

greeneyed wrote: May 7, 2021, 9:02 pm

Incredible that the knees have been missed. It required being put on report at least, even if the prior offence drew the penalty.
Apparently it has been put on report but because it wasn’t a sin bin, Hutchison can’t be replaced by the 18th man.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I still to this day think about Cronk consistently getting away with clear offsides on the line. So so many times.

I remember someone on here posting a screenshot of Cronk defending on the 5m line as we were playing the ball a metre out. Ref didn’t call it.

The grand final of 2019 had him with the Papa sinbin that everyone remembers. But at the ground and side on there was a play when Whitehead was caught at dummy half on the last tackle because Cronk was out of the line blocking his pass. Ref again didn’t want to call a last tackle penalty on Cronk.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Bay53 wrote:
Or the fitness and sports science staff who are paid very good money, might have to adjust the training loads so the players are leaner and more endurance athletes than simply power athletes.

I disagree the athletes can’t cope. We have three contact football codes in this country. RL no longer has anyone that looks like a rugby front rower, 13 men on the field and the pace of the game doesn’t allow it. Conversely we have athletes in AFL that are far less stronger than than rugby league but have far greater aerobic capacity. Maybe our players need to move to closer to that.
That's an interesting point.

There are faster sports out there. If the players "can't cope" perhaps they have the wrong body type for these rules. If so, you will find that the type of athlete changes.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Vintagecrop wrote:Have rarely, for far this season on the few matches I've seen, seen more 'drifting' forward passes than in the Parra/Easts game tonight.

Wasn't going to happen with Fergo - even without Duges - but shame we didn't get more from Paulo.
I was side on 10m out at the Souths game. Both of Benji’s passes for tries were forward but no one seemed to notice other than the fans around us.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

BJ wrote: May 7, 2021, 9:13 pm I still to this day think about Cronk consistently getting away with clear offsides on the line. So so many times.

I remember someone on here posting a screenshot of Cronk defending on the 5m line as we were playing the ball a metre out. Ref didn’t call it.

The grand final of 2019 had him with the Papa sinbin that everyone remembers. But at the ground and side on there was a play when Whitehead was caught at dummy half on the last tackle because Cronk was out of the line blocking his pass. Ref again didn’t want to call a last tackle penalty on Cronk.
Sometimes I wish Cronk never got binned. The Roosters grew an extra leg when that happened. We will never know, but just maybe, that doesn’t happen we win the premiership.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Dr Zaius wrote: May 7, 2021, 9:14 pm
Bay53 wrote:

That's an interesting point.

There are faster sports out there. If the players "can't cope" perhaps they have the wrong body type for these rules. If so, you will find that the type of athlete changes.
That is my point. If you look at the ultimate power athlete in contact football, it is NFL players, who only have to perform for a few seconds at a time. If you want to look at the ultimate endurance athlete in contact football, it is AFL or maybe even Gaelic football which isn’t strictly contact.

Every rugby league athlete is going to be somewhere in the middle of that. Where on the pendulum is up to the fitness guys.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I just wished the ref hadn’t incorrectly waved 6 again and then changed his mind; hadn’t incorrectly called a 20m tap to the Roosters when Cordner touched the ball; had penalised the Roosters for clear offside play on a number of occasions; had called some Roosters forward passes; had penalised the Roosters trainer for getting in the way of the play.

That grand final certainly mounted a case for Greeneyed’s calls around unconscious bias and the referees shock that the Roosters were unexpectedly off their game and the Raiders were on their game.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

greeneyed wrote:
C'mon mate. The irony isn't lost on me and it most definitely shouldn't be lost on you.

Cast your mind back a bit over 30 years. We had an open and enjoyable brand of rugby league - some claim it as the golden era. Teams were rewarded for playing fast and open rugby league. The playmakers were regarded as being more creative than current players. You had locks that made it to legendary status - Clyde and Pearce etc - based on their amazing cover defence. The defence had to learn how to effectively scramble because when you tackled a player you just tackled them to the ground. You didn't try to stop them, wrestle them and then when the referee called held - throw him to the ground. You have just forgotten what rugby league should look like.

The key difference is, back in the 90s we had the side to take advantage of it. Big boppas up front, mobile / athletic backrowers, creative half back, powerful centres and fast back 3. If we had that mix now you wouldn't be complaining imo because we would be good to watch. Like the Storm and Panthers line ups and style.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

If you want to see where the six again needs to change watch those last couple of mins. Papali’i gets a six again on the last tackle then the Roosters give away a penalty. THAT HAS TO BE A SIN BIN.

Instead of play continuing with another six tackles five metres from the Roosters line, they are allowed to reset their line. That is exactly what that rule is trying to avoid.

(Eventually Parra score anyway but it is taken away)
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gergreg wrote: May 7, 2021, 9:28 pm
greeneyed wrote:
C'mon mate. The irony isn't lost on me and it most definitely shouldn't be lost on you.

Cast your mind back a bit over 30 years. We had an open and enjoyable brand of rugby league - some claim it as the golden era. Teams were rewarded for playing fast and open rugby league. The playmakers were regarded as being more creative than current players. You had locks that made it to legendary status - Clyde and Pearce etc - based on their amazing cover defence. The defence had to learn how to effectively scramble because when you tackled a player you just tackled them to the ground. You didn't try to stop them, wrestle them and then when the referee called held - throw him to the ground. You have just forgotten what rugby league should look like.

The key difference is, back in the 90s we had the side to take advantage of it. Big boppas up front, mobile / athletic backrowers, creative half back, powerful centres and fast back 3. If we had that mix now you wouldn't be complaining imo because we would be good to watch. Like the Storm and Panthers line ups and style.
If you have followed what I've been saying about the wrestling tactics, I have never supported that. But also cast your mind back to the 1990s... we had big men, small men, there was a place for big, powerful, tough forwards, as well as fast thinkers and runners. There was a place for a variety of athletes. I like that about our sport. I don't want to see a mob of robots with the same body types. I like seeing a balance between attack and defence. Tries being scored willy nilly isn't much fun to watch. We found that out during Super League when they last tried to significantly speed up the game... and people understandably found it dissatisfying.

Now, if people like, say basketball or ping pong or Australian Rules or the 100 metres... then great, watch that. But that's not rugby league. And I don't want to see our sport turned into other sports. That's not the sport I grew up loving. Sadly, we've got people with very little background in the game, like television executives, trying to dictate how our sport should be played. People who don't understand the culture of our game. The changes have been too fast, and the balance between attack and defence is out of kilter, to the sport's detriment. I want to see good defence. The attack that overcomes it is more sublime when defences are good.

I'm not alone in that view. People like Peter Sterling and other players... from those "golden times" of the 1990s have expressed the same view.

The issues the code is facing at the moment don't only relate to rule changes. I think what we're seeing with blowouts reflects the unevenness of the competition due to other factors... like the ineffectiveness of the salary cap, and other deliberate policies which favour some clubs over others.

But the changes in the rules in the past two years have been too quick, have not been properly thought through (the on the run changes highlight how little thought had been given to them), have not been properly tested, and have not be consulted upon properly.

In any event, I've seen the swings before... and I'll suspect I'll see them again.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Best game of the season.
Vintagecrop
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs

Post by Vintagecrop »

BJ wrote: May 7, 2021, 9:16 pm
Vintagecrop wrote:Have rarely, for far this season on the few matches I've seen, seen more 'drifting' forward passes than in the Parra/Easts game tonight.

I was side on 10m out at the Souths game. Both of Benji’s passes for tries were forward but no one seemed to notice other than the fans around us.
Referees do a thankless job, but I thought the Souths match was policed much, much harder than anything I saw tonight.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Trent Robinson saying that the officials didn't put the Hutchison incident on report until after the fact. And they didn't tell Robinson it was on report until the teams were running back out for the second half.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

greeneyed wrote:
gergreg wrote: May 7, 2021, 9:28 pm
greeneyed wrote:

If you have followed what I've been saying about the wrestling tactics, I have never supported that. But also cast your mind back to the 1990s... we had big men, small men, there was a place for big, powerful, tough forwards, as well as fast thinkers and runners. There was a place for a variety of athletes. I like that about our sport. I don't want to see a mob of robots with the same body types. I like seeing a balance between attack and defence. Tries being scored willy nilly isn't much fun to watch. We found that out during Super League when they last tried to significantly speed up the game... and people understandably found it dissatisfying.

Now, if people like, say basketball or ping pong or Australian Rules or the 100 metres... then great, watch that. But that's not rugby league. And I don't want to see our sport turned into other sports. That's not the sport I grew up loving. Sadly, we've got people with very little background in the game, like television executives, trying to dictate how our sport should be played. People who don't understand the culture of our game. The changes have been too fast, and the balance between attack and defence is out of kilter, to the sport's detriment. I want to see good defence. The attack that overcomes it is more sublime when defences are good.

I'm not alone in that view. People like Peter Sterling and other players... from those "golden times" of the 1990s have expressed the same view.

The issues the code is facing at the moment don't only relate to rule changes. I think what we're seeing with blowouts reflects the unevenness of the competition due to other factors... like the ineffectiveness of the salary cap, and other deliberate policies which favour some clubs over others.

But the changes in the rules in the past two years have been too quick, have not been properly thought through (the on the run changes highlight how little thought had been given to them), have not been properly tested, and have not be consulted upon properly.

In any event, I've seen the swings before... and I'll suspect I'll see them again.
Really? The game over the past 20 years has turned into athletes over football players because of interchange and wrestling. The current more open game will hopefully bring more creativity back into the game.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Are the Tigers going to dedicate every game for Tommy until they win one?
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: May 8, 2021, 5:03 pm Are the Tigers going to dedicate every game for Tommy until they win one?
Yes, that’s exactly how we roll..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

That try is hilarious!
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

That was an unbelievable put down by Feldt
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Close match between teams almost equal in their lack of ability. Cowboys in front by a point now.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

greeneyed wrote:Close match between teams almost equal in their lack of ability. Cowboys in front by a point now.
If only our team put in half the effort of them though.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Now leaves Raiders in 11th, behind the Cowboys. It could get worse, as the Sea Eagles have yet to play.
Thomas Raider
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Thomas Raider »

Gee the May premiers and the Pups is a awful game,if we don't beat the Pups next week, Rocky can just go away :rant
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Who's ready for the Bulldogs to beat us next week

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk