University research on fans' views of racism in the NRL

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

theacademic
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Matt Frawley

Post by theacademic »

Dear all,

I have The Administrators support to make this post.

I am an academic at the University of South Australia (my details are included at the beginning of the survey) and I am conducting some research on fans’ views of racism in the NRL. To do so, I have constructed an anonymous survey and it should only take a few minutes of your time to complete:

https://doit.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form ... GYzfreMd6u

Completing the survey is voluntary, but I hope you agree it is a topical study and I thank you in advance for your time.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Re: University research on fans' views of racism in the NRL

Post by The Nickman »

Done!
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I've never witnessed racial abuse at a game, but I've seen it on Facebook and the Greenhouse WAY too many times for it to be acceptable.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

The Nickman wrote:I've never witnessed racial abuse at a game, but I've seen it on Facebook and the Greenhouse WAY too many times for it to be acceptable.
What race is Gerard Sutton?
theacademic
Gerry De La Cruz

Post by theacademic »

Many thanks The Nickman, Simo and anyone else who has completed the survey. I really appreciate your time and thoughts.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Done
Interested to see the results
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

Unless you count ref's as a race I think I'm OK. Also done, GL.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Done
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Done. I can honestly say I have never heard any real racist remarks at NRL games.

Maybe the Sports Ears and my focus on the game just blocks it out.
theacademic
Gerry De La Cruz

Post by theacademic »

Many thanks to those who have completed the survey. I will post the results once the project has finished and the data has been analysed.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I've heard a fair amount of racism at games in my time
Im interested in hearing what people thought the NRL could do... i sat on those questions for a while and i really dont know what they can do that isnt being done... working hard to identify them, providing avenues to report, life time bans, etc

But the NRL fanbase is a microcosm of soceity, i dont think there is much the NRL can do to stop racism from fans in stadiums and certainly not on social media where they have no control or authority.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Very interesting survey. I'd love to see a similar study conducted at junior level. While attitudes have changed remarkably over the last ten years or so, the incidences of 'casual racism' at junior games seem to me to be higher than you see in NRL stadiums.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Botman wrote: April 20, 2021, 7:30 pm I've heard a fair amount of racism at games in my time
Im interested in hearing what people thought the NRL could do... i sat on those questions for a while and i really dont know what they can do that isnt being done... working hard to identify them, providing avenues to report, life time bans, etc

But the NRL fanbase is a microcosm of soceity, i dont think there is much the NRL can do to stop racism from fans in stadiums and certainly not on social media where they have no control or authority.
Yeah, same. I started off agreeing that there has been a serious issue there, but ended up clicking that I didn't think the NRL needed to do more. As with Cricket Australia and other bodies, they have made it pretty clear that some behaviours are not accepted, and have shown themselves prepared to act.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I got a fair way through... and team news started filtering in... and I got way too busy... and by the time I returned it said session had expired and it was submitted as I'd left it. I might try again.
rayden83
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by rayden83 »

greeneyed wrote: April 20, 2021, 8:05 pm I got a fair way through... and team news started filtering in... and I got way too busy... and by the time I returned it said session had expired and it was submitted as I'd left it. I might try again.
Life gets in the way of our goals sometimes. Chin up, and never ever give up.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

rayden83 wrote: April 20, 2021, 8:48 pm
greeneyed wrote: April 20, 2021, 8:05 pm I got a fair way through... and team news started filtering in... and I got way too busy... and by the time I returned it said session had expired and it was submitted as I'd left it. I might try again.
Life gets in the way of our goals sometimes. Chin up, and never ever give up.
:roflmao :roflmao
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Botman wrote:I've heard a fair amount of racism at games in my time

I’ve never seen it at a live event, but I’ve encountered plenty of online racism, both on this forum and Facebook in general.

And my advice to combat it is to ban and block the offenders, unfortunately that hardly ever happens.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Although this isn't a observation or complaint about racism, I feel what the NRL could do a lot more to make the game more inclusionary at junior levels. I think there are lots of minority background kids out there that want to play the game but are impeded by their parents and family, based on concerns (founded or unfounded) around the nature of the sport and perhaps those who associate with it.

You've got all these huge ethnic communities/enclaves in Sydney, yet the game doesn't really seem to be permeating many of them, or even attempting to. Having more diversity all the lower levels will slowly travel towards the higher ranks and facilitate greater levels of tolerance all round IMO.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

Done
Last racist slur called out was a few weeks ago at a dogs game
John Hopoate was sitting near by ( not aimed at him) it could of turned messy! They stopped when Hoppa looked their way lol

In terms of what can/should be done it comes down to education, educating the fans on what it means to be different cultures, what different language means to them etc
I think papa and co asking for their names to be said the proper way not the " Aussie way" and them sharing their cultures through instagram stories, interviews , the all stars etc all help educate the public
Vaccinated
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

afgtnk wrote: April 20, 2021, 9:07 pm Although this isn't a observation or complaint about racism, I feel what the NRL could do a lot more to make the game more inclusionary at junior levels. I think there are lots of minority background kids out there that want to play the game but are impeded by their parents and family, based on concerns (founded or unfounded) around the nature of the sport and perhaps those who associate with it.

You've got all these huge ethnic communities/enclaves in Sydney, yet the game doesn't really seem to be permeating many of them, or even attempting to. Having more diversity all the lower levels will slowly travel towards the higher ranks and facilitate greater levels of tolerance all round IMO.
Fair call I reckon. I think rugby league has always had a fair following with Middle Eastern or Polynesian communities but I am not sure there is the same cut through with other communities and I think the Giants and the AFL are leading the way there.

Of course one of the things that needs to be juggled, and this is a generalisation, is that some of those communities could be argued to be less tolerant in other ways that the rest of the community.

Have a look at where the biggest no votes were in the survey to change marriage laws.
Finite
David Furner

Post by Finite »

Done. Some good points all through this thread.

I've haven't heard anything that really stands out for a long time but unfortunately it does depend what game and where you sit. When I was a poor uni student sitting in the "cheap seats" at various venues I heard a lot more dodgy stuff than I do in the Meninga stand sipping on a house red. That being said I've heard way worse racism at a pub or at the coal mines than a footy game to be honest.

I don't think anyone would chastise the NRL for doing more but perhaps more promotion on ways to report it are a good start. I wasn't aware of the hotline. Lifetime bans etc go without saying for me.

Social media is a cesspool and I've seen terrible words on there in the past, way way way more than at games and I've deleted accounts from all platforms years ago. The repercussions should be the same on those platforms as "real life" for me. People treat it as a get out jail free card.
theacademic
Gerry De La Cruz

Post by theacademic »

Thanks for the comments and thanks to those sharing their views in the survey. I really appreciate it.
theacademic
Gerry De La Cruz

Post by theacademic »

Last shout for the survey if anyone has a spare few minutes: https://doit.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form ... GYzfreMd6u