Rugby League 2021

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Rugby League 2021

Post by greeneyed »

Fans set to lap up new statewide Queensland Cup broadcast offerings in 2021

The Queensland Rugby League will become the new host broadcaster of the Queenland Cup for 2021. Fans can watch these games on a variety of platforms including 9Now, qrl.com.au, the Queensland Cup app as well as on the NRL.com. The QRL is also working closely with Foxtel, the code’s broadcast partner, on weekly streaming options for their viewers and customers. Additionally, Channel 9 and Fox Sports will simulcast the 2021 Intrust Super Cup grand final as well as one finals match during each week of the play-offs featuring the top eight teams.

Read more: https://www.qrl.com.au/news/2020/12/09/ ... s-in-2021/

That story was released on 9 December. Clearly, Nine and Fox had stepped back from broadcasting Q Cup, at that stage. Now the QRL is calling for amateur commentators, to be trained up: https://www.qrl.com.au/news/2021/02/02/ ... real-buzz/

The NSWRL followed up with its own streaming announcement for its competitions on 15 January (this should have happened long ago)... so it looks like they were expecting Nine and Foxtel to pull back too.

NSWRL TV to bring more than 100 games to fans: https://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2021/01/1 ... s-to-fans/

Hopefully, games will be actually broadcast on Nine and Fox following the "all three grades" announcement.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Meanwhile, NRL Live Pass has been taken away, “replaced” by Kayo for which you must pay extra. In Telstra speak this is “expanding” its sports streaming offering!

Email from Telstra:

From today, Telstra will expand its sports streaming offering for customers through a long-term partnership with Kayo Sports, Australia’s premier sports streaming service, replacing the Telstra Live Pass in the AFL Live App and NRL Official App.

This means you won’t be able to live stream games in the AFL Live App and NRL Official Apps from the 2021 season onwards. You’ll still have free access to match replays, live scores, highlights and other features on the apps.

If you’ve purchased an annual or monthly AFL and/or NRL Live Pass through the Apple or Google App Store which is still active on 2 February 2021, you’ll be refunded for the time remaining on the annual or monthly Live Pass. This refund will be processed by your App Store (Apple or Google) directly back to your chosen payment method. This refund may take up to 45 days to be processed.

If you want to continue streaming live games, you may be eligible for a special Kayo offer. Scroll down to find details of the offer for non-Telstra customers at tel.st/live-pass-support.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Botman wrote: February 1, 2021, 7:09 am That's a cruel blow to grass roots football
It's a potential death sentence to clubs like Mounties, Newtown, Bears, Mapgies... it's going to decimate the playing quality of the NSW Cup and QLD Cup and for what? For nostalgia and the few hundred fans who show up when gates open of NRL games.

This might be a good thing for the NRL, but it's not good for the health of RL as a sport.

Also, i would say the Raiders decision recently to completely backflip on their long held belief that running a NSW Cup team was not worth the expense is directly related to this push. There is no chance the Raiders woke up one morning with an epiphany about how valuable a NSW Cup team is. They're being forced into this by the NRL and i would be in 2-3 years when the NRL sees how this decision impact to other competitions and they back off, the Raiders NSW Cup team will be no more once again
I'm not sure I follow the logic.

It seems the NSW clubs will retain their existing links with the NRL clubs. Only NRL games played on Saturday and Sunday will have the associated NSW Cup games linked with them. Why will the quality of players be reduced?

I think the quality of football will be higher and the commercial exposure greater. The players coming through the ranks will also be better known to the NRL fans, further promoting that comp. There have been plenty of games played in recent seasons as curtain raisers to the NRL games.

This was the arrangement for 80 odd years, so I'm not sure why this move now compromises the future of those suburban clubs.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Dramatic twist in NRL’s expansion race as two leading Queensland bids unite, want Bennett to coach

Two of the groups competing for the right to become the NRL’s 17th team have joined forces in an attempt to convince the ARL commission that they can become Brisbane’s second NRL side.

The Brisbane Bombers and the western corridor bid team have teamed up in the hope that the newly-named Brisbane Jets will win favour with the NRL.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... b727481dea

https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/02/03/bom ... nsion-bid/

That makes it interesting, but that’s the worst marriage for the Bombers, of the available options.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

greeneyed wrote:Meanwhile, NRL Live Pass has been taken away, “replaced” by Kayo for which you must pay extra. In Telstra speak this is “expanding” its sports streaming offering!

Email from Telstra:

From today, Telstra will expand its sports streaming offering for customers through a long-term partnership with Kayo Sports, Australia’s premier sports streaming service, replacing the Telstra Live Pass in the AFL Live App and NRL Official App.

This means you won’t be able to live stream games in the AFL Live App and NRL Official Apps from the 2021 season onwards. You’ll still have free access to match replays, live scores, highlights and other features on the apps.

If you’ve purchased an annual or monthly AFL and/or NRL Live Pass through the Apple or Google App Store which is still active on 2 February 2021, you’ll be refunded for the time remaining on the annual or monthly Live Pass. This refund will be processed by your App Store (Apple or Google) directly back to your chosen payment method. This refund may take up to 45 days to be processed.

If you want to continue streaming live games, you may be eligible for a special Kayo offer. Scroll down to find details of the offer for non-Telstra customers at tel.st/live-pass-support.
Makes sense seeing it part owns kayo I guess

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

-TW- wrote:
greeneyed wrote:Meanwhile, NRL Live Pass has been taken away, “replaced” by Kayo for which you must pay extra. In Telstra speak this is “expanding” its sports streaming offering!

Email from Telstra:

Well that sucks. Really the only reason I stuck with Telstra. But maybe I'll just watch the game replays, but it used to take a day or two for them to be uploaded onto the site.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Queensland Maroons appoint Paul Green as State of Origin coach

Paul Green will take charge of Queensland's 2021 State of Origin campaign after his extensive experience trumped a bid for former fullback Billy Slater to make his coaching debut. The QRL confirmed Green's appointment on a one-year deal on Wednesday morning.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/02/03/gre ... ion-looms/

Queensland Rugby League statement

Queensland Rugby League has today confirmed Paul Green as the head coach of the Queensland Maroons for the 2021 Ampol State of Origin series.

Green, a former halfback who played seven Origin games for Queensland between 1999 and 2001, will start in the role immediately as the Maroons ramp up planning for this year’s campaign.

Green said he was thrilled to be given the opportunity.

“The Maroons family is immersed in history, and I’m both humbled and privileged to be in this position,” Green said.

“I think every kid who grows up loving rugby league dreams of one day pulling on the jersey, and while my playing days are well and truly behind me, to get a chance to contribute in a meaningful way as a coach is something that I’m really excited about.”

Green is looking forward to working closely with the talent coming through the state’s pathway programs.

“I think last year’s series was special for all Queenslanders and supporters,” Green said.

“Some of the young guys who put their hands up during that series … it was great to see them get the win.

“In saying that too, it was good to see players like Daly Cherry-Evans and Josh Papalii embrace their leadership positions. They’ve done a great job for the rest of the playing group.”

Green takes up the position as one of the most successful coaches in the modern game.

He led the Wynnum Manly Seagulls to consecutive Intrust Super Cup titles, before guiding the North Queensland Cowboys to their maiden National Rugby League premiership in 2015 as well as the club’s first World Club Championship.

QRL managing director Robert Moore congratulated Green on his appointment.

“Paul is a passionate Queenslander who has played the game at the highest level and he has a proven track record as a successful NRL coach,” Moore said.

“We believe he is the right fit for this group of players as we prepare for the upcoming series.

“Paul has also been involved in our pathway competitions and programs for a long time, having previously worked with athletes involved in the Queensland Academy of Sport (QAS) rugby league program as well as the Seagulls, who he took to premierships in 2011 and 2012.

“We view that experience as a major asset moving forward and have full confidence in Paul’s ability to deliver performances every Queenslander can be proud of.”

Media conference at 12:30pm today: https://www.qrl.com.au/news/2021/02/04/ ... 1590402064
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I’ve always admired Qlds pashun..

It’s unrivalled.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

gergreg wrote:
-TW- wrote:

Email from Telstra:

Well that sucks. Really the only reason I stuck with Telstra. But maybe I'll just watch the game replays, but it used to take a day or two for them to be uploaded onto the site.

I've read a little and I think I can switch over to Kayo for an additional $5 per month. Not too bad I guess. Not quite sure if this is only for mobile or whether I can also watch on smart TV but I'll read up a little more.

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

gergreg wrote:
gergreg wrote:
-TW- wrote:

Email from Telstra:

I've read a little and I think I can switch over to Kayo for an additional $5 per month. Not too bad I guess. Not quite sure if this is only for mobile or whether I can also watch on smart TV but I'll read up a little more.

It'll be $15 a month via your bill, which is a standard kayo subscription

So if you have a smart tv it will work with that

Edit: just saw the roll over deal for $5 a month, that's a steal.

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

greeneyed wrote:Two of the groups competing for the right to become the NRL’s 17th team have joined forces in an attempt to convince the ARL commission that they can become Brisbane’s second NRL side.
You heard it here first! Welcome the Brisbane Fire Dolphin Bombers!
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

-PJ- wrote: February 4, 2021, 12:36 pm I’ve always admired Qlds pashun..

It’s unrivalled.
That could make a good name for the new NRL team in Brisbane.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL cancels player agent accreditation for Isaac Moses

The National Rugby League (NRL) Appeals Committee has upheld the NRL’s decision to cancel the accreditation of player agent Isaac Moses.

Mr Moses’ accreditation is formally cancelled with effect from today.

The Committee, chaired by the Honourable Ian Callinan AC QC with panellists Mr Michael Cleary AO and Mr Max Krilich OAM, described Mr Moses’ breach as one of great seriousness, concluding that his accreditation should be cancelled.

NRL Clubs may only negotiate NRL Playing Contracts with NRL Accredited Agents.

Players represented by Mr Moses who have questions about what this means for them are advised to contact the Rugby League Players Association for more information.

NRL media statement
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

That's one parasite removed. Quite a few more still attached and sucking blood from the game.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

First Trump now Moses. 2021 is finally removing the bad people doing damage to the good.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Are his business associates/partners also banned?

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gergreg wrote: February 5, 2021, 4:44 pm Are his business associates/partners also banned?

Don’t believe so. Easy to get around.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Where was the headline “NRL sees red and parts way with Moses”.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Bravo
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL reportedly considering allowing suspended Shane Flanagan to make early return

The NRL is reportedly considering allowing Shane Flanagan to return to a head coaching job months before his suspension expires.

According to The Sydney Morning Herald , the NRL has indicated it could soften its stance on Flanagan to allow the 2016 premiership-winning coach return midway through this season.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 18ca55203e
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Given what the bloke has done, he should never be allowed back into the game in any role.
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Angry coach

Post by Finchy »

Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

We shouldn’t speculate...
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

greeneyed wrote:We shouldn’t speculate...
one of 16 candidates

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

bonehead wrote: February 9, 2021, 10:31 am
greeneyed wrote:We shouldn’t speculate...
one of 16 candidates

It didn't specifically say Head Coach. Could be an assistant.
Elcaptcroker
David Grant
Favourite Player: Jarrod croker

Post by Elcaptcroker »

How many coaches have their sons playing nrl? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Elcaptcroker wrote: February 9, 2021, 1:29 pm How many coaches have their sons playing nrl? Lol

Where did it say the coach has a son playing in the NRL?
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Now public knowledge. Adam O'Brien: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... aed9cd97fa

Edrick The Entertainer
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

“dont you know who I am”
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Elcaptcroker
David Grant
Favourite Player: Jarrod croker

Post by Elcaptcroker »

Finchy wrote:
Elcaptcroker wrote: February 9, 2021, 1:29 pm How many coaches have their sons playing nrl? Lol

Where did it say the coach has a son playing in the NRL?
Well it was more leading to them being known as an aragent family but fox has just told us it was brian

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

-PJ- wrote: February 10, 2021, 6:24 am “dont you know who I am”
"No"
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: Angry coach

Post by Botman »

Finchy wrote: February 9, 2021, 9:11 am Who do we think this could be? https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 7380e32d9a
I knew it wouldnt be stick, he prefers to do his **** on the pony's from a quiet corner of the QBN Leagues :lol:

These "next Craig Bellemy" hires never seem to work out, do they?
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Northern Raider wrote: February 10, 2021, 8:16 am
-PJ- wrote: February 10, 2021, 6:24 am “dont you know who I am”
"No"
:lol: my thoughts exactly.

I wouldn't have a clue whether or not I bumped into Adam O'Brien.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

If Adam O’Brien said “do you know who I am?” I’d probably guess and say Barnaby Joyce’s Brother.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Australian Rugby League Commission chairman Peter V'Landys confident NRL season will begin without a biosecurity bubble

The NRL season is set to begin next month without a biosecurity bubble, although ARLC chair Peter V'Landys has warned the league would return to last year's restrictive off-field rules should there be a COVID outbreak.

"We'll go back on commercial flights, we'll go back to staying overnight and the players will have a lot more freedom, however, we are prepared for the worst," V'Landys said. "If there was an outbreak in the community, we'd then go to what we call 'the medium' where we go back to chartered flights and the players would have some restrictions.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

VIDEO: V’landys confident NRL will return to normal: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/02/11/vla ... to-normal/