Rugby League 2021

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Re: Rugby League 2021

Post by Rick »

Don’t let the door hit you on the ass two contracts cam.

Absolute grub of the game, cheats off the field, dirty on the field, and leaves a legacy of yelling at a paraplegic to get up and play the ball and blaming his second contract on his manager (when he managed himself). Not even he best mate Cooper could put up with him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

SBW announces retirement

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-11/ ... r/13240062

Will we ever wonder what he’s thinking again?
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:SBW announces retirement

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-11/ ... r/13240062

Will we ever wonder what he’s thinking again?
Looking forward to the 5 minute monologue of Victor Radley's thoughts during the game he returns back. I guess the roosters will have to resort to buying RTS for the finals run this year, would go okay at centre

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Back on the request for exemption to play Sualii before he is 18, I'd be pissed if I were the Rabbitohs and it is granted. I dare say Rabbitohs would have offered more to retain Sualii had they known he'd been available to be used in first grade before he is 18.

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Sid wrote: March 12, 2021, 8:48 am Back on the request for exemption to play Sualii before he is 18, I'd be pissed if I were the Rabbitohs and it is granted. I dare say Rabbitohs would have offered more to retain Sualii had they known he'd been available to be used in first grade before he is 18.

Why is it that the rules are so pliable when certain people ask?
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I think the thing i love MOST about Cameron Smith is how pissy he makes everyone

Best player to ever play, wonderful bloke and the game and it's fans will dearly miss him
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Botman wrote:I think the thing i love MOST about Cameron Smith is how pissy he makes everyone

Best player to ever play, wonderful bloke and the game and it's fans will dearly miss him
Agree I think he’s the most outcome influencing player I’ve ever seen, but he was never a player I enjoyed watching.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I''ll never understand people who didnt enjoy watching him play
All jokes aside, i do understand people who don't like him, who hated/envy his success, don't like the way he conducts himself at times

but to be a rugby league fan, to love this game and be passionate about it, and to not enjoy see it played intellectually at a level we've never seen before and may never see again? For me personally, i just cant actually make sense of that mindset. Which isn't to say it's not a completely reasonable and valid mindset to have btw, it's just not one that i understand myself.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Put it this way, I enjoyed watching Frank Paul Nuasala play for the Raiders against the Titans more than any Cam Smith game.

But I still think he’s probably the best player ever.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

What I like most about Cam Smith was how much press he generated this last 6 months by saying absolutely nothing. :lol:
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Botman wrote:I''ll never understand people who didnt enjoy watching him play
All jokes aside, i do understand people who don't like him, who hated/envy his success, don't like the way he conducts himself at times

but to be a rugby league fan, to love this game and be passionate about it, and to not enjoy see it played intellectually at a level we've never seen before and may never see again? For me personally, i just cant actually make sense of that mindset. Which isn't to say it's not a completely reasonable and valid mindset to have btw, it's just not one that i understand myself.
it was the crappy, niggly, garbage on the face, chicken wing, grapple tackle, WWE moves that are the yang to his ying.
Moments that will stick with many were his onfield antics whilst McKinnon was being stretchered off, kneeing the back of Croker's leg while his back was turned in a semi, ruck wrestle and arguing every single decision with the ref's off the top of my head

Edrick The Entertainer
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: March 12, 2021, 10:24 am What I like most about Cam Smith was how much press he generated this last 6 months by saying absolutely nothing. :lol:
It's an interesting thing i've noticed happen a lot in sports across the globe
So few sports stars get to the right to retire on their own terms, most are retired by injury or by lack of interest

And we get a rare guy who's fit, healthy and clearly still good enough to play at an age where they're not sure if its worth it, we the sports loving general public want them to do it in a certain way or in a convenient time frame... these are very hard life decisions, to put your body on the line for another year, to take that time away from family or to forego substantial sums of money when you've got the physical capability to earn it... that's not easy.

I get it's easy to be cynical and say stuff like Smith was just milking as much out of his second year as possible, or he was just wanting the attention or whatever... and maybe one of those theories is correct.
My bet?
This is a world class athlete, that has achieved everything there is to achieve and could retire, but he is physically capable of playing on, and at a very high level and making a ton of money to do what he loves and i would bet he's been genuinely unsure about what he wanted to do, be that retire, play on with the storm, or play on with another club. I think downplaying the difficulty of decision is more about people wanting to think the worst of him.

Athletes who get the opportunity to make this decision on their own terms have earned the right to take as much time to make that call as they like. They're not on anyone's timeline but themselves. The only party that could be aggrieved by it would the Storm and whilst im sure they'd have liked the clarity sooner than they go it (and frankly, ill wager good money they had that clarity a lot longer than the day he announced it), im certain they hold no ill feelings about the time he took to make that call
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

bonehead wrote: March 12, 2021, 12:07 pm
Botman wrote:I''ll never understand people who didnt enjoy watching him play

it was the crappy, niggly, garbage on the face, chicken wing, grapple tackle, WWE moves that are the yang to his ying.
Moments that will stick with many were his onfield antics whilst McKinnon was being stretchered off, kneeing the back of Croker's leg while his back was turned in a semi, ruck wrestle and arguing every single decision with the ref's off the top of my head
Pretty much. Immortal player but far less enjoyable to watch than some of the other greats that probably won't become immortals. Thurston for instance. He never had to treat everything like he was the victim.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Yeah, hard to enjoy watching any player who spent the majority of his career trying to injure players with dubious tackling techniques and at the same time get as much airtime with the refs...until some of them started telling him to **** off over the last few seasons. The salary cap cheating was just the icing on the cake.

I give him a lot of credit for his obvious intellect and on-field intuition. His longevity and what he achieved in the game was remarkable, particularly given his physical build in this era of professional athletes. I doubt I'll ever see that again.

Can carry on like a douchebag though. Different kind of unlikeable to Andrew Johns.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Joseph Suaalii given exemption to play before turning 18.

Oh yeah !!!!
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Haha boy, looks like I just walked into the salty Cameron Smith haters thread. Tell me how much Smith hurt you, fellas.

I'll absolutely miss the bloke, greatest player I've ever seen the game and a true gentleman of the sport, despite the rampant tall poppy syndrome.

He will be missed.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

-PJ- wrote: March 15, 2021, 4:26 pm Joseph Suaalii given exemption to play before turning 18.

Oh yeah !!!!
May as well not have the rule of they grant exemptions as soon as one is requested.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Northern Raider wrote: March 15, 2021, 5:37 pm
-PJ- wrote: March 15, 2021, 4:26 pm Joseph Suaalii given exemption to play before turning 18.

Oh yeah !!!!
May as well not have the rule of they grant exemptions as soon as one is requested.
All applications for exemption are considered case by case they say..

This has Nick Politis’s fingerprints all over it.

It’s all falling into place down at NRL hq.

The next bending of the rules will be when they brush the 5yr wait on becoming an immortal.

Cameron Smith front and centre..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

-PJ- wrote:
Northern Raider wrote: March 15, 2021, 5:37 pm

Oh yeah !!!!
All applications for exemption are considered case by case they say..

This has Nick Politis’s fingerprints all over it.

It’s all falling into place down at NRL hq.

The next bending of the rules will be when they brush the 5yr wait on becoming an immortal.

Cameron Smith front and centre..
Like I said, I’m waiting for the NRL to bring the rule back next year, after he’s turned 18
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Mick Fuller the NSW cop that I think V’landys wanted on the NRL board wants a Phone App to capture sexual consent from both partners.

Some NRL players would blow out the 64gb storage on their phone with all the names and data stored on the App.

Unless of course their Jarrod Hayne or Jack DeBellin (allegedly).
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

BJ wrote:Mick Fuller the NSW cop that I think V’landys wanted on the NRL board wants a Phone App to capture sexual consent from both partners.

Some NRL players would blow out the 64gb storage on their phone with all the names and data stored on the App.

I’m thinking this app was his solution to cleaning up player behaviour

Nickman's love of NSW
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

And V’landys wanted this bloke on the ARLC.
Elcaptcroker
David Grant
Favourite Player: Jarrod croker

Post by Elcaptcroker »

BJ wrote:Mick Fuller the NSW cop that I think V’landys wanted on the NRL board wants a Phone App to capture sexual consent from both partners.

Well in a way it would help against false rape claims, but it would push the solicitors more towards using intoxication on why she didnt know what she was consenting to.

But id doubt it would lower actural rape, cause well they dont usually ask for consent any way so doubt theyd stop ask for them to sign an app before they do it.

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Rugby League 2021

Elcaptcroker wrote:

Well in a way it would help against false rape claims, but it would push the solicitors more towards using intoxication on why she didnt know what she was consenting to.

But id doubt it would lower actural rape, cause well they dont usually ask for consent any way so doubt theyd stop ask for them to sign an app before they do it.

From what I understand, it stores who you’ve consented to. So if an NRL player has a girlfriend, gets the consent on the app, then attacks her at a later date, would it show them as being on the consent list?

Nickman's love of NSW
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Elcaptcroker wrote: March 19, 2021, 8:24 am

It wouldn't help fake rape claims at all, what an absolute load of garbage. This app would only protect men, and would do absolutely nothing for women in the slightest.

It's disgusting.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

If you're going to use fear, intimidation and force to engage in a sexual act without consent, it stands to reason you'd happy use the same tactics of fear, intimidation and force to have that person "consent" with their phone app.

That app idea is utterly ridiculous and as Nickman said, would only serve to protect men and make it more difficult for women to achieve justice
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

What the **** is this idea? The entire concept sounds horrendous. :shock:
Elcaptcroker
David Grant

Post by Elcaptcroker »

The Nickman wrote:

It wouldn't help fake rape claims at all, what an absolute load of garbage. This app would only protect men, and would do absolutely nothing for women in the slightest.

It's disgusting.
How wont it help against false rape claims? False rape claims are very common and have affect a lot of people but due to how serious real rape is people just believe the girl, some times the courts see through the rubbish but most of the time they dont. Theres been people who were accused of rape spent time in jail for them to be released when the truth came out that they didnt.

False rape claims are just as serious as real rape, and trust me im 100% against rape no one should do it either male or female neither should rape. Believe it or not nickman but people do claim false rape claims and it is very common. The world is full of monsters and a lot of them dont have a little dangly thing between their legs.

This app would help protect people who have a an actual consensual hook up from the second party for what ever reason turning around and saying that it wasnt consentural and claiming rape.

zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

The same way it won't help against real rape claims. From both sides of the argument someone that is ok with raping is going to be ok with falsifying consent.
You can then argue that was either done or wasn't done and you're right back where you started.
Even from your side where you somehow think false claims are as bad as the real thing... if you forgot to get the consent signed on the app what now?
Elcaptcroker
David Grant

Post by Elcaptcroker »

zim wrote:The same way it won't help against real rape claims. From both sides of the argument someone that is ok with raping is going to be ok with falsifying consent.
You can then argue that was either done or wasn't done and you're right back where you started.
Even from your side where you somehow think false claims are as bad as the real thing... if you forgot to get the consent signed on the app what now?
How isnt false rape claims as bad as the real thing? Please explain? Cause the affect of being falsely claimed of rape is huge and the more profile someone has the bigger it affect them, being dragged over the ashes being accuse of rape, your face and name in the news all while her name and face is hidden and when it comes out theyve falsely accused their names and faces are still hidden while the bloke is forever known for that time someone accused him of rape, for sports stars, and this has happened, there was an anerican football player that is best evidence of this, where he was the next big thing, he lost his player contract, lost all his sponsers, was accused of rape by a lady, was Sentenced and spent time in jail for it, all for it to come to light that he was innocent all along. And she is still being protected.

He wont ever get that time back he spent in jail, never get those sponsers back, the playing contract, the good reputation of being innocent, imagine the strain on his mental health knowing hes innocent but hes been dragged though this, what about his familywho would have to handle this as well?

And it happens to people who aint famous too, but cant afford the legal side so they have to deal with the ruling that they were guilty do the time all while knowing their innocent and dont have that profile to bring it to light?

So please tell me how false rape claims aint as bad as the real thing?

Again rape is trucked up and no one should feel that they have the right to do it to anyone, theres a place in hell for those people but there should also a place in hell for people who falsely accuse people of rape because rape is such a serious matter.

And for your last sentence, what would happen if he didnt get the consent, then hed go through the same process as it is now.

zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

I've really never come across someone that couldn't understand why rape is worse than no rape. Think I'll leave this conversation before I have an aneurysm.
Elcaptcroker
David Grant

Post by Elcaptcroker »

zim wrote:I've really never come across someone that couldn't understand why rape is worse than no rape. Think I'll leave this conversation before I have an aneurysm.
Sounds like youve already have had one, if you believe someone accusing someone of rape and destroying their entire life all while their innocent and the knock on affect to their family members isnt as bad as actural rape.

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Elcaptcroker wrote: March 19, 2021, 9:47 am
The Nickman wrote:

It's disgusting.
How wont it help against false rape claims? False rape claims are very common and have affect a lot of people but due to how serious real rape is people just believe the girl, some times the courts see through the rubbish but most of the time they dont. Theres been people who were accused of rape spent time in jail for them to be released when the truth came out that they didnt.

False rape claims are just as serious as real rape, and trust me im 100% against rape no one should do it either male or female neither should rape. Believe it or not nickman but people do claim false rape claims and it is very common. The world is full of monsters and a lot of them dont have a little dangly thing between their legs.

This app would help protect people who have a an actual consensual hook up from the second party for what ever reason turning around and saying that it wasnt consentural and claiming rape.

Isn't the statistic that around 2% of Rape trials end in a conviction? Where are these very common claims?
zim wrote: March 19, 2021, 10:55 am I've really never come across someone that couldn't understand why rape is worse than no rape. Think I'll leave this conversation before I have an aneurysm.
Hold the door Zim, the eye's starting to twitch.

Nickman's love of NSW
Elcaptcroker
David Grant

Post by Elcaptcroker »

Vic police state about 5% a falsely accused and to get that number, their are to be proven, its not including the ones that havent been proven and if thats 5% in australia what about world wide, seeing that is a lot of people being falsely accused.

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Congrats, Elcapt... now go and do some research on the estimated number of sexual assaults that:

a) go unreported because of a well earned the lack of trust and faith in the justice system
and
b) the % of successful prosecution for sexual assault cases

Those numbers DWARF the number of falsely accessed and falsely convicted men.
The simple reality is there a TON of women who are sexual assaulted who are unable to obtain justice and hold the men who commit these crimes accountable for their actions. Even those who do report, and do go through the absolute abhorrent treatment they are subjected to the name of "defence", its exceedingly rare for those women to find justice because the cases are notoriously difficult to obtain convictions under the "beyond any reasonable doubt" mandate that the justice system is built on.

There is very few men who are falsely accused and with the aforementioned difficulty in obtaining convictions, the overwhelming likelihood is that if a man is falsely accused (or correctly accused) it is unlikely they'd be convicted anyways. So yes, whilst a false accusation is damaging, the overall impact to society is insignificant compared to the issue of physical and sexual violence.

That's why most reasonable people are far more concerned about actual sexual assault then the red herring of false accusations.

False accusations impact only an extremely small sample of people, and they are largely protected by a system stacked in their favour.
Sexual assault impacts a large number of people, and due to the system, most of them do not report and those that do are highly unlikely to find justice as the system is stacked against them.