Rugby League 2021

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Rugby League 2021

Post by greeneyed »

Wayne Bennett gives up Queensland Maroons reins as Paul Green shapes to take over

Wayne Bennett has relinquished the Queensland Origin coaching reins to focus on South Sydney's 2021 premiership tilt, putting former Cowboys coach Paul Green in the box seat to take over. Bennett told the QRL he would not be returning to the interstate arena within a fortnight of masterminding their stunning 2020 series upset.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/01/14/ben ... take-over/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Rugby League 2021

Post by greeneyed »

Bombshell Maroons coaching plan revealed after Wayne Bennett steps down as Queensland coach

Wayne Bennett won’t return to coach Queensland in 2021, and the Maroons are considering a shock succession plan involving a group of retired legendary players.

The QRL may install someone like Paul Green in the role for 2021, but then replace him with one or a combination of Cameron Smith, Billy Slater, Justin Hodges, and Cooper Cronk before the 2022 series.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/state- ... 00ae63a46a
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Is it really a bombshell if the series goes back to mid year? He literally only did it cause it was in the off season

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

All Stars clash in jeopardy as NRL players face early bubble due to COVID clusters

State border restrictions due to the coronavirus pandemic threaten the build-up to the All Stars game, which could see the NRL enforce a bubble earlier than originally planned. NRL players could be forced to enter a bubble as early as the next couple of weeks as the game awaits the progress of COVID-19 outbreaks around the country.

Under current government enforced protocols players from Greater Sydney would not be allowed into Queensland for the All Stars game scheduled for Townsville on February 20.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... ccf85e92dd
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Don’t play Allstars this season.

Need to limit the season. Last year started to drag as the season went on.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

BJ wrote:Don’t play Allstars this season.

Need to limit the season. Last year started to drag as the season went on.
I didn't think the season dragged at all, normal years with 25 rounds get a bit stale but 20 rounds was a decent number.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Yeah, I felt it was drawn out too. I think it was Origin after the GF, and the fact the season was still going well into October.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Think that was more a reflection that the year dragged on

It was one of the better comps I can remember

BJ
Steve Walters

Rugby League 2021

Post by BJ »

I grew increasingly less interested in non Raiders games as the season went on.

But family and colleagues who are usually strong fans of the sport, really switched off late in the season. Some didn’t even watch State of Origin.

I think some of this was backed up with viewership declines and a drop in media click data.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

BJ wrote: January 17, 2021, 9:20 pm I grew increasingly less interested in non Raiders games as the season went on.

But family and colleagues who are usually strong fans of the sport, really switched off late in the season. Some didn’t even watch State of Origin.

I think some of this was backed up with viewership declines and a drop in media click data.
Yeah I didn't watch Origin this year. After the GF I was done
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL and RLPA agree on six per cent reduction in salary cap for 2021 and 2022

The National Rugby League (NRL) and the Rugby League Players' Association (RLPA) have agreed to a revised CBA which will secure the long-term sustainability of players, clubs and the game.

Players have agreed to a 6 per cent reduction in the salary cap for 2021 and 2022. However, unlike other sports, the revised CBA deal ensures job security for players with every club to retain a Top 30 squad, plus a minimum of three development list players.

The NRL Premiership salary cap in 2021 will be $9.02 million and $9.11 million in 2022. State of Origin match payments will be set at $15,000 for 2021 and 2022.

Other significant reductions to player benefits and entitlements under the CBA will also take effect as part of the revisions.

The NRL, RLPA and Clubs have also committed to collaborate on a number of key projects this year, including a review of the player contracting system, ensuring the game continues to listen to its fans and corporate partners.

NRL Chief Executive Andrew Abdo thanked the players and the leadership of the RLPA for their commitment and sacrifice to the NRL, its clubs and our fans.

"2020 proved when we do things together, we get a better outcome for everyone. Today is another example of that,'' he said.

"I want to thank the players for the professionalism, discipline and sacrifices they have made - not only to ensure the 2020 season proceeded but so the game can remain sustainable long term. I also want to thank Clint Newton for the leadership he has shown in securing a deal that provides security for his players, the game and our joint stakeholders.

"The deal is a fair reflection of the value the players bring to our game and the sacrifices they are prepared to make to ensure we remain strong in the years ahead."

Mr Abdo also acknowledged the leadership of the Commission and the contribution of the Clubs in ensuring a deal was struck in difficult circumstances.

"I would like to acknowledge the role the Commission, and in particular our Chairman Peter V'landys, in balancing the competing interests of the game to ensure a fair deal was achieved for the players. I also acknowledge the contribution of the Club working group and in particular Blake Solly and Brian Fletcher, for their role in closing out a deal that impacts multiple stakeholders."

RLPA Chief Executive Clint Newton said the players understand reductions needed to be made following the impact of COVID-19 across the industry.

"The leadership and resolve of our members during this period of great uncertainty is something that we should all be incredibly proud of," Newton said.

"This revised agreement is another example of the leadership and maturity shown during such a difficult period in our game's history.

"When you consider the finite career of a rugby league player, which is not guaranteed to be longer than their next game, we have an important role in ensuring what we negotiate on their behalf is fair and reasonable.

"By prioritising trust, transparency, and honesty during this process, we have been able to reach an agreement that we believe strikes the right balance between protecting our members and ensuring the overall health of the game.

"I want to thank our playing group for the maturity and leadership they have shown during this period, our player leaders, directors and the RLPA team for their unwavering commitment as we worked through securing this outcome, as well as Andrew, Peter and the Club representatives for their work in getting to this point."

RLPA Director and Cronulla Sharks captain, Wade Graham, said players understand their responsibility to share in the decreased revenue.

"We understand the significant impact that the COVID-19 pandemic has had on our game," Graham said.

"To help the game recover we believe it's fair that we share in that and play our part by agreeing reasonable reductions to our payments and benefits.

"I'd like to thank Clint and the RLPA team for the thorough process they have worked through in ensuring players are protected and respected in these negotiations.

"I'd also like to acknowledge my fellow players, we've continued to adapt and overcome the various challenges thrown our way during this period, which is something everyone connected to the game should all be proud of."

NRL media release

Players agree to 6 per cent cut in new pay deal: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/01/19/pla ... -pay-deal/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Masada Iosefa dies in quad-bike crash

The NRL and Samoan rugby league communities are in mourning following the tragic death of former Penrith and Wests Tigers hooker Masada Iosefa after a quad-bike accident near Darwin. He suffered fatal injuries after crashing on Monday night, the day before his 33rd birthday.

The hooker made his NRL debut for the Panthers in 2008, aged 20, and played 43 matches for the club before signing with Canberra Raiders affiliate Mounties in 2012. Iosefa did not gain a Raiders contract, before he switched to the Wests Tigers mid season in 2012.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/01/26/mas ... an-hooker/
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Terrible news. It's unbelievable how many serious accidents happen with those things.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Remembered him fondly as a young footballer, really thought he had a chance to be a special footballer.
RIP Masada
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Changes to ARLC Constitution approved

Members of the Australian Rugby League Commission (ARLC) - the National Rugby League (NRL) clubs, New South Wales Rugby League (NSWRL) and Queensland Rugby League (QRL) - have unanimously approved changes to three rules within the ARLC Constitution at a Special General Meeting today.

Three resolutions received unanimous support of members. A summary of the three rule changes are:

The period of time a person must not be involved in the game - as an officer or employee of the ARLC, NRL, an NRL Club, NSWRL or QRL, before he/she is eligible to be appointed as an independent director of the ARLC is reduced from 36 months to 12 months.

The method for removing a director from office changed to align with the Corporations Act.

Capping the maximum time that a director can hold office to six years, unless there are exceptional circumstances that warrant a further three-year term at the request of the Chairman. The rule is not retrospective and comes into force from the next AGM of the ARLC. Current Directors will be treated as being in the first year of their term, for the purposes of this rule.

Today is the first time changes have been made to the ARLC Constitution since the Commission was created in 2012.

ARLC Chairman Peter V’landys AM welcomed the outcome of the meeting and acknowledged the unity of members to support all three resolutions. While the Commission was not eligible to vote on the resolutions, the Commission indicated its support for the amendments.

“This is an important moment for the game. It is the first time since the creation of the Commission that members have agreed to changes to the Constitution, it is example of how united the game is to grow and improve the product for our fans and participants,’’ he said.

“These are common sense governance changes. Reducing the time a person has to be out of rugby league before being eligible to join the Commission will ensure the Nominations Committee can consider a wider range of people associated with rugby league.

“The Commission supports the changes made today. It will ensure the Commission will continue to have the very best directors to grow rugby league.”

NRL media release

Historic ARLC shake-up brings top operators into contention

The ARL Commission has opened up its election process by winding back the three-year stand-down period that has ruled the best administrators from clubland ineligible for commission roles.

Also approved on Friday was the process to remove commissioners, with more than 50% of a club and state stakeholders vote now required. Previously the support of 15 from 16 NRL clubs, and both the NSWRL and QRL was required to remove a director.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/01/29/his ... ontention/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Not sure at all about those changes, particularly the rule which allows a majority of the clubs and stakeholders to remove Commissioners... it makes the Commission less independent.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL's plans open door for reserve graders

The NRL will introduce a radical change to its eligibility rules in 2021 in a return to the halcyon days of rugby league. The NRL has rushed through a rule change to allow clubs to dip into their feeder club stocks midway through the season as injuries begin to hit.

Players outside of the a club’s top-30 roster can be called up from their Queensland Cup or NSW Cup teams from Round 11. An NRL spokesman confirmed the rule change but added that the players must be signed to club’s on a training deal to take the field.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 6d8c9b093d

Given the Raiders now have a NSW Cup side... that gives them even more flexibility.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL push to bring back all three grades on game day

NRL chief executive Andrew Abdo is aiming for the return of reserve grade and under-21s games before NRL matches in 2021. Saturday and Sunday match days have been identified as the most likely starting point.

“On a Saturday or Sunday, being able to align the draws of the NSW and Queensland Cup, makes sense and we are working on it. We want it broadcast, so we’re working with everyone, including Fox Sports and Nine, to see which games could be broadcast. We’re hoping to get up to 30 or 40 (lower grade) games this season to maximise that outcome for fans.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 1981dd280c

There were some questions in another thread on whether NSW Cup games would be broadcast. Looks like the NRL is working on that with Nine and Fox.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

That's a cruel blow to grass roots football
It's a potential death sentence to clubs like Mounties, Newtown, Bears, Mapgies... it's going to decimate the playing quality of the NSW Cup and QLD Cup and for what? For nostalgia and the few hundred fans who show up when gates open of NRL games.

This might be a good thing for the NRL, but it's not good for the health of RL as a sport.

Also, i would say the Raiders decision recently to completely backflip on their long held belief that running a NSW Cup team was not worth the expense is directly related to this push. There is no chance the Raiders woke up one morning with an epiphany about how valuable a NSW Cup team is. They're being forced into this by the NRL and i would be in 2-3 years when the NRL sees how this decision impact to other competitions and they back off, the Raiders NSW Cup team will be no more once again
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I'm not sure I'm entirely following your reasoning, and not sure why it would be a death sentence for clubs like Mounties etc.

I'd expect that any club like Mounties, Newtown, Bears, Magpies, could continue to operate as the "reserve" grade for NRL clubs, as they did in 2019 and before that. I doubt that loss of gate takings/food and drink would be major, if they play their games as a warm up for their affiliated NRL club, instead of their own home grounds. Crowds for stand alone NSW Cup games are very small. Some don't even charge admission (entry to Mounties games was free). Affiliated NSW Cup clubs were already playing some games prior to NRL games... and this probably isn't going to make it that much more common (eg Mounties played at Canberra Stadium when they were our affiliate, Blacktown play at Brookvale). Affiliation agreements could sort out any financial disadvantage for the NSW Cup teams.

The issue of being able to call up NSW Cup players? I doubt it'll happen that often. For a start, it can only happen after Round 11. The NRL clubs are going to have their top players in the top 30 or on their development list. It might be the case that there is a gun youngster that clubs will want to promote who isn't in their top 33-36, or injuries mean that they need to bring up a reserve grader in a particular position. That's not too different to what happens now with the development players.

I agree that the rule change would have been a factor in changing the Raiders' view on NSW Cup. If all their players were playing in Flegg or Canberra Raiders Cup, they wouldn't have the same flexibility as other clubs, who had affiliated NSW or Queensland Cup teams. The Raiders were prospectively the only club without an affiliated club or their own team at that level in 2020. Add in the fact that our juniors get much better development playing against open age players, and it is a no brainer.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Botman wrote: February 1, 2021, 7:09 am That's a cruel blow to grass roots football
It's a potential death sentence to clubs like Mounties, Newtown, Bears, Mapgies... it's going to decimate the playing quality of the NSW Cup and QLD Cup and for what? For nostalgia and the few hundred fans who show up when gates open of NRL games.

This might be a good thing for the NRL, but it's not good for the health of RL as a sport.

Also, i would say the Raiders decision recently to completely backflip on their long held belief that running a NSW Cup team was not worth the expense is directly related to this push. There is no chance the Raiders woke up one morning with an epiphany about how valuable a NSW Cup team is. They're being forced into this by the NRL and i would be in 2-3 years when the NRL sees how this decision impact to other competitions and they back off, the Raiders NSW Cup team will be no more once again
It will relegate those comps to a definite 3rd tier. Not so bad in Sydney where every game is a bus trip away. Will make it tough to keep the Q-Cup viable with teams scattered across the state, not to mention the PNG Hunters.

Also havento consider the costs and logistics for the NRL. Consider a Raiders vs Cowboys round. 3 full squads plus support staff having to make the trip between Canberra and Townsville. Same issue for any team outside Sydney.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: February 1, 2021, 9:42 am
I'd expect that any club like Mounties, Newtown, Bears, Magpies, could continue to operate as the "reserve" grade for NRL clubs, as they did in 2019 and before that. I doubt that loss of gate takings/food and drink would be major, if they play their games as a warm up for their affiliated NRL club, instead of their own home grounds. Crowds for stand alone NSW Cup games are very small. Some don't even charge admission (entry to Mounties games was free). Affiliated NSW Cup clubs were already playing some games prior to NRL games... and this probably isn't going to make it that much more common (eg Mounties played at Canberra Stadium when they were our affiliate, Blacktown play at Brookvale). Affiliation agreements could sort out any financial disadvantage for the NSW Cup teams.
This is effectively going to force most, if not all NRL clubs to have their own reserve grade team because if they're going to wear the costs of getting the Newtown Jets up and down the east coast and across the ditch, as we've seen immediately with the Raiders, it's easier and probably then more cost effective to just run your own team, so those affiliation agreements are simply going to dry up, and so is most of the talent at those clubs.

Can they survive that? Maybe they can. We'll find out. I like gambling as much as anyone, but the stakes here are too high and again, for what pay off? Nostalgia and something to look at for the few hundred fans who show up when gates open of NRL games.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I'm pretty confident this is to set up for the next tv deal, to promote to broadcasters that they have more content to offer.

If the NRL bears the cost of funding the teams, then it might end up making a return in a couple of years time

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

-TW- wrote: February 1, 2021, 10:59 am I'm pretty confident this is to set up for the next tv deal, to promote to broadcasters that they have more content to offer.

If the NRL bears the cost of funding the teams, then it might end up making a return in a couple of years time

While it's logical that more content makes it more appealing for broadcasters the opposite has been true to date. Ch9 have always worked on showcasing the game as little as possible. It's only in recent years they started showing one than 1 live game a week. On the limited number of games they do show we get one team (Broncos) 80% of the time. The balance really only show Sydney teams. Of they had their way with would only be a 6 team comp.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

As is often the case with the NRL, the stories involve a lot of "spin". They have admitted it'll only happen on Saturdays and Sundays... and maybe for 40 games in 2021. Given there are 192 games in a regular season, that means only about 20 per cent of game days will have "all three grades" (or two).

Add in the fact that the draw sees Sydney clubs play each other predominantly, there is not going to be any more travel for NSW Cup clubs than across town in those cases. I wouldn't mind betting that NSW Cup games in Sydney take up most of the 40 games. But it should be easy for the clubs like the Knights, Dragons and Raiders to host NSW Cup games at home too.

That's not to rule out Queensland Cup. In the case of Queensland Cup, those clubs already travel (fly) long distances to games.

It should be pretty easy for the Cowboys, Broncos and Titans to organise. The Cowboys have three Queensland Cup teams (Mackay Cutters, Townsville Blackhawks, Northern Pride in Cairns). The Broncos have four clubs affiliated in Brisbane (Wynnum Manly Seagulls, Norths Devils, Ipswich Jets and Souths Logan Magpies... they mostly play Thursdays and Fridays anyway, so it won't happen much). The Titans have three Queensland Cup teams (Burleigh Bears, Tweed Heads Seagulls, Central Queensland Capras).

The Warriors have just switched to Queensland Cup and affiliated with the Redcliffe Dolphins, while the Storm are affiliated with the Brisbane Tigers and Sunshine Coast Falcons.

Aside from Magic Round, the Warriors play at Townsville (Friday V Cowboys), Sunshine Coast (Saturday V Rabbitohs), Brisbane (Sunday V Broncos) and Gold Coast (Sunday V Titans... though that one might be too late in the season), so it should be possible to get Redcliffe playing one or two matches on those days.

The Storm play twice in Queensland (against Cowboys and Titans), but on a Thursday and Friday... so those games are probably ruled out.

In terms of the broadcasters, having the NSW Cup and Queensland Cup games at the same venue as NRL matches should make it easier to cover the games. Channel 9 was only broadcasting NSW Cup games that took place in Sydney in 2019 (one per round). They were also doing Queensland Cup games (one per round) but Nine Queensland seemed to be prepared to travel more for those matches. But if the cameras are already set up for the NRL, it should be easier for them to cover the lower tier games going forward.

It wouldn't surprise me if the NRL was doing this to make it easier to get the lower grades on TV... but the likes of Phil Gould has probably also pushed V'landys in that direction. The Panthers have tried to have "all three grades" whenever they could in the past, so as to allow the fans to follow the players coming through the grades. On this, I agree with Phil Gould.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Yep. Still amazes me that regional teams aren’t shown into regional areas on delay free to air.

You can see interest in the Raiders grow amongst everyday colleagues when Raiders get a cluster of free to air games (it’s not just about winning or losing, although winning obviously helps).

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

V’landys wants the return of all three grades on NRL game day. This is how it could work

The governing body has got the backing of New South Wales Rugby League CEO Dave Trodden says a return to :all three grades" on game day is a great move.

“I don’t think it will be difficult at all,” he said. “We started working in December with the NRL on the draws so this year there’s something like 80 of our second tier games which are already aligned and over 70 of our under 21s games are already aligned with the NRL club draws.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 0a0215c996
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

‘They’d be ready’: V’landys drops bombshell on second Brisbane team

Peter V’landys has made the stunning claim that the NRL could have a second team in Brisbane by 2023 as the league eyes the next step in expansion - and a decision will be made in June.

"It’s very realistic to say that we’ll have a second team in Brisbane in 2023," he said. "From what I’ve seen and the presentations that have been given to me, they are well advanced. If I said 2022 they’d be ready. They’ve been doing work for years. There’s no reason why we can’t be up and running in 2023."

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 356e885e52
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

If the Bombers linked up with the three southern Brisbane Queensland Cup teams (Tigers, Seagulls and Magpies), it'd be an unbeatable proposition.

The Tigers and Dolphins are the richest licensed clubs in Queensland and the Dolphins have what you'd call a boutique stadium (10,000) of their own. Not that the stadium should matter. They shouldn't be playing at that venue when Lang Park is a 50,000 stadium that is empty every second week.

I think Redcliffe is a poor option, as they are in a very limited georgraphic region, and would not appeal broadly to Brisbane people.

The Tigers have the best chance of doing that, as they are in the middle of the southern Brisbane region... so could market themselves more broadly and a north (Broncos) versus south (Firehawks) rivalry. It is a shame the Tigers feel they can't adopt the "Brisbane Bengals" name... it'd be much more marketable than "Firehawks".

The Ipswich/Western Corridor" is the weakest option in my view. It is marketing itself as the "western corridor", but that is just an imaginary region based on a road from Ipswich to Logan. Ipswich suffers, like Redcliffe, from a small population base and can't really market to Brisbane. Logan has a much clearer link to southern Brisbane (or the Gold Coast). That's why Souths Logan Magpies made a lot of sense. They don't have the backing of a big licensed club either.

The problem for Redcliffe, Easts and Ipswich is that no one Queensland Cup team has enough of a support base by themselves, to rapidly build support across a broad range of Brisbane people. But if the three south Brisbane teams got together under a new moniker, they'd be much more powerful and have a much better chance.

I'd rank them in this order:

Brisbane Bombers
Brisbane Firehawks
Redcliffe Dolphins
Ipswich/Western Corridor
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

This is what makes V'Landys such a weird leader for me
Some of things he's trying to do, are imo, really damaging, be that on the on the whim changes in how the game is run, the structure of how the game is officiated, the direction of grass roots NRL footy... but the full steam ahead into Brisbane 2 is absolutely the right move.

expansion is the right move. Cut Cronulla, introduce Perth, Brisbane 2.0 and the next best bid. The league is ready to move on from Cronulla and it's ready to be an 18 game competition.

V'Landys really feels like he flying by the seat of his pants and flinging darts. It's strange
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

V'landys shoots from the hip, far too often. It often reflects who he talked to last. Sometimes it works out brilliantly, sometimes not.

The decision on two point field goals, reputedly based on a letter from a fan, is a classic case of a really poor decision, with no or limited consultation... and asked for by no one, other than the reputed letter writer.

I agree expansion has been put off for far too long. For some reason V'landys is dead against Perth (I expect because Gould is dead against new teams in non traditional rugby league States), but it makes so much sense.

Their choice about which bid wins the Brisbane franchise is going to tell us a lot about how savvy they are... whether they understand that market... and whether they are taking sensible long term decisions (rather than grabbing the team that has cash right now).

For example, selecting Redcliffe would be just like adding another Cronulla Sharks to the NRL. They may have money, but they have a small population base in a geographic pocket, with no room for expansion of support.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

greeneyed wrote: Brisbane Bombers
Brisbane Firehawks
Redcliffe Dolphins
Ipswich/Western Corridor
Joint venture? The Brisbane Fire Dolphin Bombers.

On inception they’d become my favourite Brisbane team.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gangrenous wrote:
Brisbane Firehawks
Redcliffe Dolphins
Ipswich/Western Corridor

If the Bombers and Easts Tigers formed a joint venture it’d be very hard to turn them down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

gangrenous wrote:
Brisbane Firehawks
Redcliffe Dolphins
Ipswich/Western Corridor

The JerkFace! The jerky team for jerks

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

If you’re renaming the Broncos dubby then I’m in!