St George Illawarra Dragons 2021

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

St George Illawarra Dragons: 2021 round 1 predicted team

There are four wingers vying for two spots, with Max Feagai and Jordan Pereira also in the frame. Jack Bird could play a number of spots but is likely to start off at either centre or via the bench, which could hand Brayden Wiliame a chance. Whether new coach Anthony Griffin sticks with Ben Hunt at hooker or returns he and skipper Cam McInnes to their preferred roles will become clear through the pre-season.

1. Matt Dufty
2. Mikaele Ravalawa
3. Jack Bird
4. Zac Lomax
5. Cody Ramsey
6. Corey Norman
7. Ben Hunt
8. Josh Kerr
9. Cameron McInnes
10. Paul Vaughan
11. Tariq Sims
12. Jackson Ford
13. Blake Lawrie

14. Tyrell Fuimaono
15. Poasa Faamausili
16. Kaide Ellis
17. Trent Merrin

Others: Eddie Blacker, Billy Brittain, Adam Clune, Jack de Belin, Matthew Feagai, Max Feagai, Jordan Pereira, Jayden Sullivan, Brayden Wiliame

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/12/30/st- ... cted-team/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL investigate St George Illawarra Dragons star Corey Norman over alleged street brawl

St George Illawarra player Corey Norman is being investigated by the NRL over an alleged street fight in Sydney. The alleged incident was filmed on a mobile phone in Cronulla last Friday night.

It is unclear at this stage what role Norman had in the alleged incident. Former NRL player James Segayaro is also understood to be part of the investigation.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 224b9f7751

‘Threatened to pull a knife’: Norman, Segeyaro break silence on alleged street brawl: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 224b9f7751
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Re: St George Illawarra Dragons 2021

Post by -TW- »

They've released a statement via their clothing line.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Riaan
John Ferguson

Post by Riaan »

Are the females alright???
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

“Threatened to pull a knife”

Stop punching me in the face or I’ll get my knife out of my pocket and may use it...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Gee that's a likely story isn't it.

They were just minding their own business when 4 blokes descended upon them instantly racially vilifying Segeyaro.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Great chance for the Dragons to offload Norman, but they won't. One of the most overrated (and overpaid) players in the game over the past decade.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

It feels like the Dragons have had roughly the same squad for the last 4 seasons. At what point do they realise that that squad isn’t getting it done?
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Find it odd they’re saying the fight started because someone racially attacked Seg, while also calling him by a pretty racist nickname
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I could go a chiko roll..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

julian87 wrote: January 26, 2021, 9:37 am Gee that's a likely story isn't it.

They were just minding their own business when 4 blokes descended upon them instantly racially vilifying Segeyaro.
I haven't followed this one at all but why do they always report that there were females present... kind of but not quite outright hinting that there should be different standards of behaviour?

The threat to pull a knife sounds absurd... until you consider that a lot of people might try to bluff if they end up in some aggro with a footy player type person, "**** off ya **** or I'll stab ya!"
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Former Rugby Player on the verge of NRL return as Dragons submit application for two-year deal

St George Illawarra have submitted a formal application to the NRL in the hope of signing Israel Folau on a two-year deal.

The Herald can reveal the Dragons have formally approached the NRL about acquiring Folau's services from this season to play in the centres, with the governing body set to consider allowing the dual international to return to the sport.

Read more:
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/israel ... 1612228888
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Hahahaha! Along with McInnes leaving what the **** Dragons. I think we are getting our spoons in a row for the next 2 years.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

St George Illawarra Dragons ask NRL for permission to sign Israel Folau on two-year deal

The Dragons have sought NRL approval to sign cross-code star Israel Folau on a two-year deal for the coming NRL season. The club has confirmed it is pursuing Folau to play centre, starting this season.

The Dragons proposal is being considered by the NRL, however ARL Commission chairman Peter V'landys has previously indicated Folau's controversial views would prevent a contract from being registered.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/02/02/dra ... year-deal/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

And hopefully, the NRL will continue to refuse to register him.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Why the **** would you give McInnes the **** for Folau.

He's not solving their abhorrent attack

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

McInnes gave the Dragons the flick. Reportedly not happy about the coach.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Fair, Griffin would bore anyone to tears

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Yet he stayed through McGregor?
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

He's all about Mary. They maintain a very close relationship.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

St George Illawarra Dragons end 30-hour circus by cutting all ties to controversial Israel Folau return

Israel Folau’s potential return to the NRL appears to be dead in the water after St George Illawarra withdrew interest in signing the controversial star. The Dragons made the decision at an extraordinary general meeting on Wednesday afternoon.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... e4fcc3a302

https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/02/03/dra ... for-folau/

NRL’s first openly gay man says Folau should not return: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 5e77b86022

Dragons club statement

St George Illawarra have provided the following update in relation to Israel Folau. While the Dragons did enquire about signing Folau, the club can confirm that such discussions have now ceased. The Dragons will make no further comment.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

It is hard to imagine that anyone in rugby league administration could think this was a good idea. It’d be nice to think that the NRL eventually saw the light... at the least St George Bank seemed to be doing the right thing, as the Dragons major sponsor, and opposing it. But perhaps the $200,000 transfer fee being demanded by Catalans was the decisive factor. It’d be sad if it wasn’t the principle involved. Some like James Hooper and to a lesser extent Brad Fittler, showed their true colours. Sadly, I believe there are a lot of players who actually support Folau.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

It boggles the mind...
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote:It is hard to imagine that anyone in rugby league administration could think this was a good idea. It’d be nice to think that the NRL eventually saw the light... at the least St George Bank seemed to be doing the right thing, as the Dragons major sponsor, and opposing it. But perhaps the $200,000 transfer fee being demanded by Catalans was the decisive factor. It’d be sad if it wasn’t the principle involved. Some like James Hooper and to a lesser extent Brad Fittler, showed their true colours. Sadly, I believe there are a lot of players who actually support Folau.
I reckon you’ll find there’s admins on this very site that support him
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

greeneyed wrote:It is hard to imagine that anyone in rugby league administration could think this was a good idea. It’d be nice to think that the NRL eventually saw the light... at the least St George Bank seemed to be doing the right thing, as the Dragons major sponsor, and opposing it. But perhaps the $200,000 transfer fee being demanded by Catalans was the decisive factor. It’d be sad if it wasn’t the principle involved. Some like James Hooper and to a lesser extent Brad Fittler, showed their true colours. Sadly, I believe there are a lot of players who actually support Folau.
To be fair Fittler made it clear he didn't take any notice of his views, he only wanted to see him as a footballer

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

-TW- wrote: February 4, 2021, 10:52 pm
To be fair Fittler made it clear he didn't take any notice of his views, he only wanted to see him as a footballer

It’s a cop out, though isn’t it? He said something like... I don’t have social media, don’t take notice of all that, and I like to watch him play and would like him back. The thing is, he knows exactly what Folau has said and done. Yet he still wants him in the game, and for someone in a high position in the sport, that’s not leadership, that’s acceptance that Folau’s behaviour is OK. And that’s the problem.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Hear, hear GE

I mean, I don’t follow what goes on in the courts. I just want to see de Belin play...
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

If past experience is anything to go by Folau would have needed to go to a club that gets FTA exposure for Fittler to watch him play. He only watches '9' games, in between being a turnip on the sideline.

I mean who asks for instructions for a Viking clap?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Failed star punted in $2m halves headache Hook must solve: Dragons’ Best 17

If we are speaking kindly, it’s been an interesting week for St George Illawarra and the club’s fans.

DRAGONS’ BEST 17

1 Matt Dufty
2 Cody Ramsay
3 Zac Lomax
4 Max Feagai
5 Jordan Pereira
6 Jack Bird
7 Adam Clune
8 Paul Vaughan
9 Ben Hunt
10 Blake Lawrie
11 Tariq Sims
12 Jackson Ford
13 Cameron McInnes

14 Tyrell Fuimaono
15 Kaide Ellis
16 Josh Kerr
17 Poasa Faamausili

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-te ... 23b6b3e254
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

That there is surely a wooden spoon team?

Actually I see the Bulldogs are wooden spoon favourites and the Broncos equal second with the Dragons. Tigers, then Sharks next.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

I’m already seeing a few contenders for Pigman’s edition of WTFITG?!
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Can't imagine that list would give confidence to Dragons fans.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote: February 5, 2021, 6:02 am
-TW- wrote: February 4, 2021, 10:52 pm

It’s a cop out, though isn’t it? He said something like... I don’t have social media, don’t take notice of all that, and I like to watch him play and would like him back. The thing is, he knows exactly what Folau has said and done. Yet he still wants him in the game, and for someone in a high position in the sport, that’s not leadership, that’s acceptance that Folau’s behaviour is OK. And that’s the problem.
Agree 100%.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

gangrenous wrote:Hear, hear GE

I mean, I don’t follow what goes on in the courts. I just want to see de Belin play...
I don’t read history books, but I just want to see Adolf Hitler recognised for how successful the 1936 Olympics were.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Let’s not leave out Paul Gallen. He actually backed the return of Israel Folau on the basis that not allowing him back, would go against the NRL’s policy of inclusiveness. Seriously.

Paul Gallen backs Israel Folau’s return to the NRL: https://www.2gb.com/ben-fordhams-gut-fe ... -a-return/