Brisbane Broncos 2021

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Brisbane Broncos 2021

Post by greeneyed »

Brisbane Broncos: 2021 round 1 predicted team

Youngster Tesi Niu was first-choice fullback before being injured last year and looks the most dynamic option at the back, although new coach Kevin Walters has hinted Jamayne Isaako may get another crack at the No.1 jersey to start 2021. Three into two in the halves doesn't go but there will be pressure on Anthony Milford if he does start the season over Brodie Croft.

1. Tesi Niu
2. Xavier Coates
3. Jesse Arthars
4. Herbie Farnworth
5. Jamayne Isaako
6. Anthony Milford
7. Tom Dearden
8. Matt Lodge
9. Jake Turpin
10. Payne Haas
11. Alex Glenn
12. Tevita Pangai Jr
13. Patrick Carrigan

14. Cory Paix
15. Thomas Flegler
16. Corey Oates
17. Rhys Kennedy

Others: Dale Copley, Brodie Croft, Andrew McCullough, Keenan Palasia, Jordan Riki, Kotoni Staggs

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/01/03/bri ... cted-team/
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Re: Brisbane Broncos 2021

Post by Seiffert82 »

Wow.

Forgot about Staggs' injury.

That's, umm, that's one hell of a backline right there.

With the likes of Milford and Pangai on the books they are in the unenviable position we were a few years ago, where their most talented players are the pits when it comes to leadership.

If it goes pear shaped early for them it would almost certainly be another train wreck.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

LOL Broncos!
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

🦄
Go Donks
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Obligatory **** the Broncos.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Back to back spoons?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

We dare to dream.

Thursday nights were just about the highlight of 2020...
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Brisbane Broncos star Payne Haas arrested, charged with intimidating police

Brisbane Broncos star Payne Haas was arrested on Saturday night after an alleged incident at Tweed Heads. NSW Police issued a statement confirming the arrest of a 21-year-old.

“About 10pm Saturday 16th January, officers from Tweed-Byron Police District arrested a 21-year-old man on Coral Street at Tweed Heads after the man allegedly became abusive towards police. He was taken to Tweed Heads police station and charged with offensive language and intimidate police. He is due to appear at Tweed Heads Local Court on Tuesday the 2nd of February.”

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 4dfba9e372

Brisbane Broncos club statement

The Brisbane Broncos can confirm player Payne Haas was involved in an incident with police last night at Tweed Heads.

He was arrested and charged with offensive language and intimidate police, before being released.

The Club has spoken at length with Payne, who is ashamed and extremely remorseful for his actions.

Broncos CEO Paul White said: “It’s disappointing and not acceptable - we do set the highest standards for the behaviour of our players, they understand that and Payne knows this is well short of those standards.

“Payne knows he has done the wrong thing and is prepared to take ownership of his actions.

“As a Club, we will continue to work with Payne to ensure he understands what he must do to improve, and also ensure he continues to receive the support and education that he needs.”

The Broncos are working with the NRL Integrity Unit on the matter.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

"Intimidating Police". Is that actually a thing?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Northern Raider wrote:"Intimidating Police". Is that actually a thing?
Hightower on the dopey cops in Police Academy 1
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Lolz Broncos
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Brisbane Broncos star Kotoni Staggs handed NRL breach notice for homophobic slur towards a fan

Bronco centre Kotoni Staggs has been breached by the NRL Integrity Unit for his use of a homophobic slur towards a fan.The insult occurred after a fan asked Staggs for a photo on a night out in Dubbo.

Court documents revealed the Broncos centre refused the photo request and said “nah you walk like a f*****”. The exchange led to an altercation, which involved Staggs’ friends Brogan Black and Brad McCarroll who punched the man in the head multiple times.

Read more: https://www.zerotackle.com/broncos-star ... ted-97518/
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Kevvie is definitely fixing that kulchure up there.

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

hey hey we're the Broncos..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Why there’s no room for Lodge or Croft in Brisbane’s Kev-olution: Broncos Best 17

Well, Broncos fans, rejoice: the 2020 season is now in the past.

BRONCOS BEST 17

1. Jamayne Isaako
2. Xavier Coates
3. Herbie Farnworth
4. Kotoni Staggs*/Tesi Niu
5. Jesse Arthars
6. Anthony Milford
7. Tom Dearden
8. Tom Flegler
9. Jake Turpin
10. Payne Haas
11. Alex Glenn
12. Tevita Pangai Jr
13 Patrick Carrigan

14. Cory Paix
15. John Asiata
16. Rhys Kennedy
17. Corey Oates

* Staggs is not expected to be fully fit until Round 12 at the earliest

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 19d3e7b601
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

I think Lodge is overrated but come on he's got to be there ahead of Kennedy.
2 of their more exciting players for next year not listed: Jordan Riki, Ethan Bullemor. Both should be first grade mainstays for 2022.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Brisbane Broncos half Anthony Milford out for 4-6 weeks with fractured hand

The Brisbane Broncos have suffered a big blow just weeks out from the 2021 NRL season, with five-eighth Anthony Milford fracturing his hand.

Brisbane’s $1 million man, who will undergo surgery later this week, went for scans which revealed a displaced right transverse 4th metacarpal fracture, the club confirmed on Tuesday.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 4859afc51b
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Brisbane Broncos 2021

Post by Sid »

Milford has broken his hand (allegedly biting his finger eating a pie). One fan on Facebook commenting that he should be medically retired so he can bugger off to go play in England.

Source Fox League on Facebook
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

trying to work out if missing Milford is good or bad for the Broncos.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

It is potentially good but any further injury in the halves and they're in trouble.

Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Brisbane Broncos 2021

Post by Sid »

Won’t he be back by round 1?
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Broncos name Donaghy as next CEO

The Brisbane Broncos have announced Dave Donaghy as the Club’s new Chief Executive Officer. Originally from Gladstone in central Queensland, Mr Donaghy began his career as a journalist for Australian Associated Press and the Herald Sun newspaper in Melbourne, prior to holding senior and executive positions at the Brisbane Lions and Melbourne Storm. Mr Donaghy most recently held the role of Melbourne Storm CEO from 2015 to the end of the 2020 season.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/02/04/bro ... -next-ceo/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

‘Cause you’re a woman you think I won’t touch ya?’ Brisbane Broncos Payne Haas’ rant at female cop revealed

The details of the spray Broncos prop Payne Haas directed at NSW Police can be revealed after the forward was handed a two-year good behaviour bond for intimidating officers.

When asked for ID by officers while at Tweed Heads, Haas replied “**** the ID, I don’t need to give you ID. You got a badge on you and you think you’re a **** tough ****. You put my family in jail you ****. Don’t come near me bro, I’ll **** jab ya, on my mother’s life I will. Get the **** out of here bro, get the **** out of my face or I’ll take all of you on myself you ****.”

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 797190e75c
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Is Lodge still in the leadership group? Needs to take control of the young buck and set him on the right path.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

greeneyed wrote:‘Cause you’re a woman you think I won’t touch ya?’ Brisbane Broncos Payne Haas’ rant at female cop revealed

The details of the spray Broncos prop Payne Haas directed at NSW Police can be revealed after the forward was handed a two-year good behaviour bond for intimidating officers.

When asked for ID by officers while at Tweed Heads, Haas replied “**** the ID, I don’t need to give you ID. You got a badge on you and you think you’re a **** tough ****. You put my family in jail you ****. Don’t come near me bro, I’ll **** jab ya, on my mother’s life I will. Get the **** out of here bro, get the **** out of my face or I’ll take all of you on myself you ****.”

Haas looked at the female officer and said: “Why you looking at me like that? Cause you’re a woman? Cause you’re a woman and you think that I won’t touch ya?”

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 797190e75c
Image but they'll taser a bloke catching zzzz in the loving embrace of a ficus tree?

zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Walters wants to bring his son home, but the Tigers are playing hardball

Broncos coach Kevin Walters is keen to sign his son Billy and bring him to Red Hill, but the Wests Tigers want something in return for the talented utility.

However the Tigers confirmed that they want to keep Walters unless they can get something in return with Reece Walsh a player they have their eye on.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... c0468ff922
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

I can't believe Billy Walters is 27. I thought he was like 21.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Brisbane Broncos Payne Haas set for suspension and hefty fine over disgusting rant at police

Brisbane Broncos star Payne Haas will reportedly be suspended by the NRL and cop a fine over $20,000 in the wake of his vile and expletive-laden rant at police.

The NSW Origin forward pleaded guilty on Thursday morning to one count of intimidating police after drunkenly abusing police in a Tweed Heads incident on January 16.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... e30e33b0fb
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Geez $20k for what he did is once again a light punishment. NRL needs to pick up their act. This is a guy with bad form and repeated offences.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

BJ wrote:Geez $20k for what he did is once again a light punishment. NRL needs to pick up their act. This is a guy with bad form and repeated offences.
Depends on the length of the suspension though. Should be 5 regular season games, at least. But will probably be 3 (including trials) so he'll be back for rd 2.

BJ
Steve Walters

Brisbane Broncos 2021

Post by BJ »

gergreg wrote:
BJ wrote:Geez $20k for what he did is once again a light punishment. NRL needs to pick up their act. This is a guy with bad form and repeated offences.
Depends on the length of the suspension though. Should be 5 regular season games, at least. But will probably be 3 (including trials) so he'll be back for rd 2.

Yes the length of punishment will be key. Raiders suspended Wighton for 6 weeks, but NRL overruled and gave him 10 games for drunkingly and physically abusing people on the street. And as we saw from the footage, it wasn’t anything you don’t see every weekend outside nightclubs.

It will be interesting where Paas abusing a female police officer fits within this range. Paas has been given a 2 year good behaviour bond, whereas Jack had a 1 year.

It would be worth the NRL reviewing the Wighton footage as a benchmark. Greenberg made a bit of a song and dance about the Curtis Scott footage and talked tough. Has that scared the NRL executive off?
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

BJ wrote: February 6, 2021, 8:26 amYes the length of punishment will be key. Raiders suspended Wighton for 6 weeks, but NRL overruled and gave him 10 games for drunkingly and physically abusing people on the street. And as we saw from the footage, it wasn’t anything you don’t see every weekend outside nightclubs.
Yes, we all saw the footage and you are probably right in that this stuff happens every weekend outside nightclubs, but by "physically abusing" i assume you mean two counts of assault occasioning bodily harm and three counts of common assault.

The man was not a martyr. He was not falsely accused or dealt with unjustly. What he did do (to his absolute credit, and this should never be understated because its so very rare) was recognise his behaviour, and rectify it. And his efforts and dedicated in that has led to him establishing himself as a truly elite footballer, and without knowing him personally, it seems his home life has improved dramatically from the days of insta-fights with his ex.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

6 week suspension backdated to Dec 1
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Botman wrote:
BJ wrote: February 6, 2021, 8:26 amYes the length of punishment will be key. Raiders suspended Wighton for 6 weeks, but NRL overruled and gave him 10 games for drunkingly and physically abusing people on the street. And as we saw from the footage, it wasn’t anything you don’t see every weekend outside nightclubs.
Yes, we all saw the footage and you are probably right in that this stuff happens every weekend outside nightclubs, but by "physically abusing" i assume you mean two counts of assault occasioning bodily harm and three counts of common assault.

The man was not a martyr. He was not falsely accused or dealt with unjustly. What he did do (to his absolute credit, and this should never be understated because its so very rare) was recognise his behaviour, and rectify it. And his efforts and dedicated in that has led to him establishing himself as a truly elite footballer, and without knowing him personally, it seems his home life has improved dramatically from the days of insta-fights with his ex.
Botman I’m not saying it was the wrong charge. I’m just saying that the NRL suddenly deemed 6 weeks wasn’t strong enough and increased it to 10 weeks.

It’s a bit of an outlier amongst a plethora of bad behaviour across many players and across many clubs.

There’s perfect consistency which we can never get. But the Wighton charge and suspension was a complete outlier, when compared to other drunken fights players have been involved in.

As an aside, I certainly don’t think his legal team pleading guilty up front and Greenberg saying how terrible the footage was did him any favours.