North Sydney Bears

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

North Sydney Bears

Post by Lui_Bon »

Just catching a bit of the Newcastle/Parra grand final, the one where Ben Kennedy was the mvp (not Joey - spoiler alert); and it made me wonder, seeing Jason Taylor and I think Michael Buettner as well - apart from Ikin did anyone who played for Norths in living memory ever win anything? I mean, after they left the Bears. I've just remembered that I think Cliff Lyons started with them as well, but is there anyone else?

It's not a quiz...
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Re: North Sydney Bears

Post by yeh raiders »

I thought maybe Brett Dallas, but apparently not. Also he is very unwell now.

Mark O’Meley had a season at the Bears. Went on to much bigger and better things.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Daryl Halligan is the first one off the top of my head.

Ivan Cleary also played a large part of his career at the Bears.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Good call. A few names sprung to mind who went to clubs who had some success around that time but...

Fairleigh at Knights... nope, missed by a year.

Surely Marty Bella at the dogs... nope, missed by a year.

Kerry Boustead anywhere- I don't think so.

Scotty Gale at the Raiders... nope, missed by a year and we didn't win in '91 (not sure he made the GF game anyway)
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

BadnMean wrote:Good call. A few names sprung to mind who went to clubs who had some success around that time but...

Scotty Gale at the Raiders... nope, missed by a year and we didn't win in '91 (not sure he made the GF game anyway)
Gale kicked the horrible short drop out didn't he in 91?

edit:- yes replaced sticky late and kicked the drop out for Simmons try

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Last edited by bonehead on December 14, 2020, 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Edrick The Entertainer
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Did Kerry Boustead start at the Bears before moving to Easts and then Manly?
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Lui_Bon wrote:Did Kerry Boustead start at the Bears before moving to Easts and then Manly?
no, finished his career at the bears

Edrick The Entertainer
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

bonehead wrote: December 14, 2020, 8:21 pm
Lui_Bon wrote:Did Kerry Boustead start at the Bears before moving to Easts and then Manly?

Ah ok. And to back up BadnMean's theme, I just saw Manly v Broncos on fox and remembered Don McKinnon, who started at the Bears. Here's what his wikipedia entry says about his subsequent career at Manly:

"He then signed to play with Manly in 1988 and played in six games, scoring one try. He was fined $10,000 for urinating on the field during the Sea Eagles clash with the Brisbane Broncos at Lang Park in round 1, 1988. While McKinnon wasn't the first player to have done this, he was the first to be caught on television. Later in the same game he dislocated his shoulder while scoring a try and upon his return from injury, couldn't force his way back into the Bob Fulton coached side and spent the rest of the season playing Reserve Grade. He went on to play in the Sea Eagles Reserve Grade Grand Final win at the end of the year. Following the Reserve Grade Grand Final, McKinnon announced his retirement from the game."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_McKin ... by_league)
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

bonehead wrote: December 14, 2020, 10:57 am
BadnMean wrote:Good call. A few names sprung to mind who went to clubs who had some success around that time but...

Gale kicked the horrible short drop out didn't he in 91?

edit:- yes replaced sticky late and kicked the drop out for Simmons try

Yeah right. I remember the Simmons try but totally blanked that Gale ever got on, let alone kicked the short one.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Lui_Bon wrote:

Ah ok. And to back up BadnMean's theme, I just saw Manly v Broncos on fox and remembered Don McKinnon, who started at the Bears. Here's what his wikipedia entry says about his subsequent career at Manly:

"He then signed to play with Manly in 1988 and played in six games, scoring one try. He was fined $10,000 for urinating on the field during the Sea Eagles clash with the Brisbane Broncos at Lang Park in round 1, 1988. While McKinnon wasn't the first player to have done this, he was the first to be caught on television. Later in the same game he dislocated his shoulder while scoring a try and upon his return from injury, couldn't force his way back into the Bob Fulton coached side and spent the rest of the season playing Reserve Grade. He went on to play in the Sea Eagles Reserve Grade Grand Final win at the end of the year. Following the Reserve Grade Grand Final, McKinnon announced his retirement from the game."

I was watching that game on TV when mckinnon took a pee, funny it was clear as day what he was doing.

Edrick The Entertainer
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

bonehead wrote: December 15, 2020, 4:40 am
Lui_Bon wrote:

I was watching that game on TV when mckinnon took a pee, funny it was clear as day what he was doing.

and yet I know for a fact, from the mouth of a Qld cop, that public urination is an offence ( no it wasn't me). How ironic - McKinnon was a cop
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Danny Williams played in the 99 GF with Melbourne

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

The 2 I can think of are Craig Smith and Danny Williams.

Williams played pff the bench in the 99 grand final and Smith was famously knocked out by Ainscough for the winning penalty try.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

Bring back the Bears

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh