2020 State of Origin III - Teams and Game Day

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Who will win?

Maroons 13+
No votes
Maroons 1-12
67%
Draw
No votes
Blues 1-12
33%
Blues 13+
No votes

Total votes: 6

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Queensland Maroons V New South Wales Blues
Wednesday 18 November, 8:10pm
Lang Park
TV coverage: Channel Nine

Queensland Maroons

5. Corey Allan 1. Valentine Holmes 4. Dane Gagai 21. Brenko Lee 19. Edrick Lee 6. Cameron Munster 7. Daly Cherry-Evans 8. Christian Welch 9. Jake Friend 10. Josh Papalii 11. Felise Kaufusi 3. Kurt Capewell 13. Tino Fa'asuamaleaui

12. Jaydn Su'A 14. Harry Grant 15. Lindsay Collins 16. Jai Arrow

17. Dunamis Lui 18. Ben Hunt

Coach: Wayne Bennett

New South Wales Blues

1. James Tedesco 2. Daniel Tupou 3. Clinton Gutherson 4. Jack Wighton 5. Josh Addo-Carr 6. Cody Walker 7. Nathan Cleary 8. Daniel Saifiti 9. Damien Cook 10. Payne Haas 11. Angus Crichton 12. Tyson Frizell 13. Jake Trbojevic

14. Dale Finucane 15. Junior Paulo 16. Nathan Brown 17. Isaah Yeo

18. Ryan Papenhuyzen 20. Cameron McInnes

Coach: Brad Fittler

Officials

Referee: Gerard Sutton
Touch judges: Chris Butler and Todd Smith
Video referee: Steve Chiddy
Standby referee: Ashley Klein
Standby touch judge: David Munro

Women's State of Origin

Queensland Maroons V New South Wales Blues
Friday 13 November, 7:45pm
Sunshine Coast Stadium
TV coverage: Fox League, Channel Nine

Queensland Maroons

1. Tamika Upton 2. Shenae Ciesiolka 3. Julia Robinson 4. Lauren Brown 5. Karina Brown 6. Tarryn Aiken 7. Zahara Temara 8. Chelsea Lenarduzzi 9. Brittany Breayley 10. Stephanie Hancock 11. Tallisha Harden 12. Tazmin Gray 13. Ali Brigginshaw

14. Rona Peters 15. Annette Brander 16. Shannon Mato 17. Shaniah Power

18. Jessika Elliston 19. Chante Temara 20. Brianna Clark

New South Wales Blues

1. Botille Vette-Welsh 2. Jessica Sergis 3. Tiana Penitani 4. Isabelle Kelly 5. Shanice Parker 6. Corban McGregor 7. Melanie Howard 8. Simaima Taufa 9. Keeley Davis 10. Millie Boyle 11. Kezie Apps 12. Shaylee Bent 13. Hannah Southwell

14. Quincy Dodd 15. Filomina Hanisi 16. Sarah Togatuki 17. Yasmin Meakes

18. Brydie Parker 19. Kennedy Cherrington 20. Kylie Hilder

Officials:

Referees: Belinda Sharpe
Touch judges: Liam Kennedy, Ziggy Przeklasa-Adamski
Video referee: Shayne Hayne
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 2020 State of Origin III - Teams and Game Day

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders Jack Wighton learns how tough it is to win State of Origin in Queensland the hard way

NSW Blues centre Jack Wighton knows better than most how tough State of Origin is at Lang Park. Last year he threw an intercept for Dane Gagai to race almost the length of the field to spark a Maroons win.

"Yeah I threw the intercept. I've played there, I've been there," Wighton said. "I make it hard for myself. I do things the hard way. It's going to be very tough. They're a great side in Queensland and we'll just see how it plays out.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Dunamis Lui hopes for emotional return home to Queensland for State of Origin decider

A loss in his Origin debut. Now Queensland prop Dunamis Lui hopes for an even more emotional affair in front of family and friends in Brisbane.

"It was a feeling I'll never forget. I'll cherish that moment for ever. It was pretty emotional running out. It's going to be even better [at Lang Park]. Hopefully I get to run out there again and this time I'll have my family there."

Dual-code star Millie Boyle facing tough decision after State of Origin: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14237
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Have we got the 27 man squads somewhere? I imagine there will be changes in the Qld side but not sure what their options are? I suspect Edrick Lee will come in for Sami.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Found it.

The others for Qld who didn’t play last night - Allan, Brimson (inj), Carrigan, Grant, Hess, Hymel Hunt, Kerr, B Lee (not sure if fit) E Lee, Welch (not sure if fit)

Welch will play if fit, I think Sami looks out of depth but whether they go with Allan, H Hunt, B or E Lee will be interesting. Will they drop friend for Grant? Friend is massive defensively but they need a spark and Grant might give them that. Perhaps they will both play if Munster is not fit.

Don’t think NSW will change their team.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Papa won't preach to Tino about toning down aggression

Maroons pack leader Josh Papalii will not tell young tyro Tino Fa'asuamaleaui to tone down his aggression but wants him to channel it into his hit-ups and tackles in the Origin series decider.

"I got into a little bit of red [in my] head, I lost control of the sense of where the game was," Papalii said. "[So] I don't want to sound like a hypocrite because I was borderline there. That's probably something we want out of Tino. He's a big man and you've got to let him go. The fighting bit is not what we're after but his running game and putting that aggression in defence like he does at Melbourne."

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/11/13/pap ... ggression/

Three Canberra Raiders named for Origin III

The Maroons have turned to rookie hooker Harry Grant to spark them from the bench in the series decider in Brisbane while also calling up another debutant in Corey Allan to fix their winger woes.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/11/13/har ... rom-bench/

Canberra Raiders prop Dunamis Lui drops to Queensland Maroons bench for State of Origin decider: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Maroons get fantastic boost with crowd limit removed at Lang Park: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/11/13/mar ... t-suncorp/

@TheGHRaiders on Twitter

THE DECIDER: Canberra Raiders Josh Papalii, Dunamis Lui and Jack Wighton retain places in top 17 squads for Origin III! Full team lists for Maroons V Blues: http://ow.ly/F2HZ50Cjo8y

#Origin #NRL #WeAreRaiders #Queensland #Maroons #NSW #Blues
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

A better looking side for QLD. Still question marks. Sami had to go but I'd have gone for Edrick. Allen is OK though.

I'd prefer to see Brenko starting and Capewell on the bench. Gives a bit more pace which was the problem with that left side defence.

Grant had to be included. Friend is Mr Reliable but not much of a threat in attack. Makes it harder to get Grant into the game though. I guess from the bench Bennett can choose the right moment.

Welch returning for Fotuaika was a no brainer. Mo looked to struggle with the pace. Great to see Lui hold his spot. Hopefully gets more minutes this time.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

I didn't know hunt and sami were injured..

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Queensland have done their normal pick and stick - however I am not sure this time it is loyalty - it is simply there is no one better. Sami's confidence was shot to pieces - not surprised they have gone with Allan - Bennett is a big fan. He brought him from the Broncos to Souths.

Welch was always coming back if fit. Fotuiaka was the man to miss out - really had no impact last Wednesday.

NSW were always going to stick with the team that won.

Big news today was the full crowds are back - lets hope other states follow and 2021 rugby league is back to normal - only better!!
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I thought Allen left the Broncos for Souths - before Bennett - because he couldn't get a go at the Broncos?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

gergreg wrote: November 13, 2020, 4:23 pm I thought Allen left the Broncos for Souths - before Bennett - because he couldn't get a go at the Broncos?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
After doing a few searches, I think you might be right.
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

Welcome to our coverage of tonight's Women's State of Origin clash between the Queensland Maroons and New South Wales Blues at Sunshine Coast Stadium! We will have live scores from 7:45pm! Watch the coverage on Fox League and Nine and chat right here.

Queensland Maroons

1. Tamika Upton 2. Shenae Ciesiolka 3. Julia Robinson 4. Lauren Brown 5. Karina Brown 6. Tarryn Aiken 7. Zahara Temara 8. Chelsea Lenarduzzi 9. Brittany Breayley 10. Stephanie Hancock 11. Tallisha Harden 12. Tazmin Gray 13. Ali Brigginshaw 14. Rona Peters 15. Annette Brander 16. Shannon Mato 17. Shaniah Power 18. Jessika Elliston 19. Chante Temara 20. Brianna Clark

New South Wales Blues

1. Botille Vette-Welsh 2. Jessica Sergis 3. Tiana Penitani 4. Isabelle Kelly 5. Shanice Parker 6. Corban McGregor 7. Melanie Howard 8. Simaima Taufa 9. Keeley Davis 10. Millie Boyle 11. Kezie Apps 12. Shaylee Bent 13. Hannah Southwell 14. Quincy Dodd 15. Filomina Hanisi 16. Sarah Togatuki 17. Yasmin Meakes 18. Brydie Parker 19. Kennedy Cherrington 20. Kylie Hilder

Referee: Belinda Sharpe
Touch judges: Liam Kennedy, Ziggy Przeklasa-Adamski
Video referee: Shayne Hayne
The Greenhouse score update service
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

The Blues are playing their 44 year old assistant coach, Kylie Hilder, at hooker, late replacement... Blues on the field. Now the Maroons. Now the national anthem.
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

There's quite a bit of wind and some rain at Sunshine Coast Stadium. It is a sell out, maximum crowd permitted just under 5,000. Blues kick off, we are underway.
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

15th min TRY MAROONS to fullback Tamika Upton. She goes 80 metres, that's impressive. Easily shugged off Vette-Welsh in the last line of defence. Lauren Brown converts.

Maroons 6-0
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

25th min TRY BLUES to Kezie Apps, following the kick ahead from Howard. The bounce was horrible for the Maroons' fullback Upton. Obvious forward pass from the Blues missed in the lead up. Apps converts. Queensland has been in control, so the scoreline not an indication of the run of play.

Maroons 6
Blues 6
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

29th min The Blues let the kick off go dead... and now the Maroons held up over the line. Lots of tackles left in the set. But now a Maroons error. That is three errors from the Maroons in try scoring position.
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

HALF TIME

Maroons 6
Blues 6
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

Maroons kick off to start the second half.
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

44th min TRY MAROONS to Tamika Upton under the posts, it is her second of the game! Set up by five eighth Tarryn Aiken. Converted Brown.

Maroons 12
Blues 6
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

52nd min TRY MAROONS to Tarryn Aiken, simple one pass off the ruck, she dummies and steps and goes through. It is off the back of a penalty for a shoulder charge on the kicker, Brigginshaw. Brown converts from out wide.

Maroons 18
Blues 6
Last edited by The Greenhouse on November 13, 2020, 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Saw the NRL issued a finding that Cordner should not have been allowed back onto the field, as was obvious to everyone.

Andrew Johns should go stick his view that people shouldn’t have stated the obvious.
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

58th min TRY MAROONS to Steph Hancock! Great dummy at dummy half and then crashes over the line! Impressive from the big prop! Well deserved for the legendary veteran! Brown converts.

Maroons 24
Blues 6

Just 12 minutes remain.
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

60th min TRY BLUES to centre Tiana Penitani. It followed a nasty head clash for Millie Boyle, with lots of claret flowing. She goes off after the try is scored. No conversion.

Maroons 24
Blues 10

Now nine minutes remaining.
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

68th min TRY BLUES to Filomina Hanisi. It is all too late. Horrible conversion attempt... Steph Hancock leaves the field in what is surely her last Origin.

Queensland Maroons 24
New South Wales Blues 14
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

70th min TRY BLUES to Vette-Welsh in the corner. No conversion. That's the end of the match. Seven seconds left.

Queensland Maroons 24
New South Wales Blues 18

New South Wales kick off goes over the sideline.

FULL TIME

The Maroons are State of Origin champions!

Maroons five eighth Tarryn Aiken is the Player of the Match.

MATCH REPORT: Upton stars as Maroons win women's Origin

Tamika Upton completed her rise into the top realm of women’s rugby league stars as her Queensland side ended their State of Origin hoodoo with a 24-18 win over NSW on Friday night at Sunshine Coast Stadium.

Upton scored a pair of long-range tries as Queensland registered their first win in the Origin format, after Queensland held the champions title for 17 years straight between 1999 and 2015. They broke the Blues' winning streak of four games.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/11/13/upt ... ns-origin/
ALX22
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by ALX22 »

The big surprise was the young prop Hanisi from the Blues.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Unfortunate for NSW to lose their No9 before the game and having to put an assistant coach at 44 years of age into that crucial position. Still, good luck to the Qld side in securing their win on home soil. Lots of debutants at this level on both sides so the future is looking strong.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart at Origin of NSW Blues' Queensland wins

The NSW Blues have only ever won an Origin decider at Lang Park on two occasions and the Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart was involved in both. In 1994 Stuart was the Blues halfback and 11 years later he returned as the NSW coach.

"I'm sure after that game two, I think we corrected a lot of wrongs from game one and I feel as though that team can get a lot of belief out of their performance. They were very dominant and that's a key element.

‘Very disappointed’ Josh Papalii accepts blame in State of Origin defeat

Queensland Maroons prop Josh Papalii concedes he was “very disappointed” with his performance in Wednesday evening’s loss to the New South Wales Blues.

“We started well, but I felt like we let them off the hook pretty easy. You can’t give Teddy and Walker the easy ball they had. We were always going to pay,” Papalii said.

Read more: https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/very- ... 9eb0452180

‘I lost control’: Papalii regrets ’redhead’ hair pull; lashes Origin II display for Maroons

Queensland prop Josh Papalii has apologised for his below-par performance against NSW in Origin II and expressed his regret at yanking at the hair of Blues back-rower Angus Crichton.

"I just went into a bit of, they call it redhead sense there," Papalii said. "I lost control of the sense of where the game was. As an older bloke, little examples of that are not fair enough for the young boys coming through. I definitely need to be better.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/state- ... f72045704f
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

I'm not sure it's necessary for NSW to carry four middles on the bench... I would have preferred three middles plus Papenhuyzen for sure
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

'Embrace it': Ricky backs Blues to overcome Queensland's huge advantage

As the only New South Welshman to win an Origin decider in Brisbane as both a player and a coach, Ricky Stuart is perfectly equipped to know what the Blues will face on Wednesday night.

"When you go there it is not just you against the 17 blokes in the Queensland team – it’s you against them all," Stuart said of the crowd.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/11/16/emb ... advantage/

LATE MAIL: Canberra Raiders prop Dunamis Lui likely to miss out on Origin III team

Coach Wayne Bennett says Cameron Munster had passed his concussion protocols, while Xavier Coates is a 50-50 proposition due to a groin problem and Edrick Lee would replace him if the young Bronco is ruled out. Brenko Lee is likely to play at centre with Corey Allan shifting to fullback and Valentine Holmes reverting to the wing.

Kurt Capewell will move from centre to the back row with Jaydn Su'A dropping to the bench and interchange forward Dunamis Lui missing out on the final 17.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/01/23/cas ... jury-news/

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/state- ... f8f58da84c
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Boooo, sad news for dunamis, thought he did well in game 2. What happened to pick and stick?!?

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

If somebody has to drop out it should be Collins... average af
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Queensland Maroons' Origin Raiding party

It's the Maroons' coaching trinity that's looking to deliver Queensland the Holy Grail. All former coaches of the Canberra Raiders, Wayne Bennett, Mal Meninga and Neil Henry.

"When Wayne had the job Gene Miles rang me, 'Would you be interested in Origin?' I live on the coast anyway," Henry said. "There was some talk of Mal doing the job as well and I'd worked with Mal before in 2006-2009. And then he rang me up and said, 'I'm on board too'. It ended up being all three of us.

Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Nami has missed out in the updated teams tonight. Bad luck for him but I think they are probably a bit more balanced with their side. Capewell had a great first game and is very versatile but you wouldn’t normally start him in the centres.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Lindsay Collins defence is certainly good news for NSW.

The guy runs good lines in attack, but he doesn’t hold the line and structure in defence.