2020 NRL Grand Final: Teams and Game Day

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Who will win?

Panthers 13+
No votes
Panthers 1-12
17%
Storm 1-12
67%
Storm 13+
17%

Total votes: 6

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Penrith Panthers V Melbourne Storm
Stadium Australia
25 October, 7:30pm EDT
TV coverage: Nine, Fox League Channel 502

Penrith Panthers

1. Dylan Edwards 2. Josh Mansour 3. Brent Naden 4. Stephen Crichton 5. Brian To'o 6. Jarome Luai 7. Nathan Cleary 8. James Tamou 9. Apisai Koroisau 10. James Fisher-Harris 11. Viliame Kikau 12. Liam Martin 13. Isaah Yeo 14. Tyrone May 15. Kurt Capewell 16. Moses Leota 17. Zane Tetevano 18. Mitch Kenny 19. Dean Whare 20. Matt Burton 21. Spencer Leniu

Melbourne Storm

1. Ryan Papenhuyzen 2. Suliasi Vunivalu 3. Brenko Lee 4. Justin Olam 5. Josh Addo-Carr 6. Cameron Munster 7. Jahrome Hughes 8. Jesse Bromwich 9. Cameron Smith 10. Christian Welch 11. Felise Kaufusi 12. Kenneath Bromwich 13. Nelson Asofa-Solomona 14. Brandon Smith 15. Tino Fa'asuamaleaui 16. Dale Finucane 17. Nicholas Hynes 18. Tom Eisenhuth 19. Paul Momirovski 20. Tui Kamikamica 21. Ryley Jacks

Officials:

Referee: Gerard Sutton
Review Official: Steve Chiddy
Touch Judges: Chris Butler and Todd Smith
Standby Referee: Ashley Klein
Standby Touch Judge: David Munro

NRLW Grand Final

Brisbane Broncos V Sydney Roosters
Stadium Australia
25 October, 4:05pm EDT
TV coverage: Nine, Fox League Channel 502

Brisbane Broncos

1. Tamika Upton 2. Shenae Ciesiolka 3. Julia Robinson 4. Jayme Fressard 5. Meg Ward 6. Raecene McGregor 7. Ali Brigginshaw 8. Millie Boyle 9. Lauren Brown 10. Chelsea Lenarduzzi 11. Amber Hall 12. Tallisha Harden 13. Tarryn Aiken 14. Annette Brander 15. Jessika Elliston 16. Shannon Mato 17. Chante Temara 18. Romy Teitzel 19. Tyler Birch 20. Zara Canfield 21. Lavinia Gould

Sydney Roosters

1. Shanice Parker 2. Taleena Simon 3. Corban McGregor 4. Yasmin Meakes 5. Brydie Parker 6. Melanie Howard 7. Zahara Temara 8. Simaima Taufa 9. Nita Maynard 10. Filomina Hanisi 11. Vanessa Foliaki 12. Sarah Togatuki 13. Hannah Southwell 14. Quincy Dodd 15. Kennedy Cherrington 16. Grace Hamilton 17. Jocelyn Kelleher 18. Amelia Mafi 19. Botille Vette-Welsh 20. Bobbi Law 21. Kaitlyn Phillips

Officials:

Referee: Belinda Sharpe
Review Official: Jared Maxwell
Touch Judges: Liam Kennedy and Drew Oultram
Standby Referee: Ziggy Przeklasa-Adamski

Match Hashtags: #NRL #NRLGF #NRLPanthersStorm

NRL teams: All the NRL Preliminary Final teams for this weekend: http://ow.ly/ltRj50BQMmn

Plus follow us on Twitter: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders
gerg
Laurie Daley

Re: 2020 NRL Grand Final: Teams and Game Day

Post by gerg »

Panthers have won 3 of the last 19 games against the Storm.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Carn Penrith!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Dr Zaius wrote: October 18, 2020, 11:34 am Carn Penrith!
Last thing I’d want to see is Penrith win.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

**** Penrith

Carn Storms

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Brandy will be unbearable..

Cmon Storm.

Now I need to vomit..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

The notion that Penrith in any way, shape or form are less palatable than Melbourne is entirely laughable.

They've built their team from the ground up. They play an entertaining (not spoiling) style of football. They come from a rugby league heartland where people give a **** about the team, and have been the best team all season. Clearly deserved premiers.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

As I said, **** Penrith.

IBG
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by IBG »

What did I miss? Why is everyone anti-Penrith all of a sudden?
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I've never liked Penrith, but there's something fishy about them this year

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Dr Zaius wrote:The notion that Penrith in any way, shape or form are less palatable than Melbourne is entirely laughable.

They've built their team from the ground up. They play an entertaining (not spoiling) style of football. They come from a rugby league heartland where people give a **** about the team, and have been the best team all season. Clearly deserved premiers.
Agreed. I have a feeling that Storm will be too good, with one last refereeing masterclass from Cam.

Damoni
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Too Easy

Post by Damoni »

-TW- wrote:I've never liked Penrith, but there's something fishy about them this year

Like the considerable uplift in performance where they appear faster and stronger than everyone else?
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Come on anyone but Smith!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Dr Zaius wrote: October 18, 2020, 11:51 am The notion that Penrith in any way, shape or form are less palatable than Melbourne is entirely laughable.

No it’s not. Their coach lied about walking to Penrith and he then he did exactly that, treating the Tigers, a club that gave him a second chance, disgracefully. His son nearly was one cause of the NRL being placed at risk of being shut down, and then misled the NRL about it. Bald faced lied to them and everyone. They are arrogant and unlikable. They carry on like they’ve already won. And then there’s Greg Alexander. 1991.

Neither are likeable, but the Storm are preferable... and that’s saying something.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Damoni wrote:
-TW- wrote:I've never liked Penrith, but there's something fishy about them this year

Like the considerable uplift in performance where they appear faster and stronger than everyone else?
Correct

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

-TW- wrote: October 18, 2020, 2:48 pm
Damoni wrote:

Correct

With almost identical personnel to last year when they were quite ordinary.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Damoni
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Too Easy

Post by Damoni »

Northern Raider wrote:
-TW- wrote: October 18, 2020, 2:48 pm
Damoni wrote:

Correct

With almost identical personnel to last year when they were quite ordinary.
It’s all due to Api K apparently

Cleary certainly looked bigger and stronger and Yeo is the new Boyd Cordner
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

I travelled more taking the bins out then the Riff have all season.
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

greeneyed wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: October 18, 2020, 11:51 am The notion that Penrith in any way, shape or form are less palatable than Melbourne is entirely laughable.

No it’s not. Their coach lied about walking to Penrith and he then he did exactly that, treating the Tigers, a club that gave him a second chance, disgracefully. His son nearly was one cause of the NRL being placed at risk of being shut down, and then misled the NRL about it. Bald faced lied to them and everyone. They are arrogant and unlikable. They carry on like they’ve already won. And then there’s Greg Alexander. 1991.

Neither are likeable, but the Storm are preferable... and that’s saying something.
Haha, sure, sure Fergus! Image
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Ivan did nothing that Sticky didn't do.

The Fox (along with Latrell) did far worse than Nathan, travelling half way across the state at the time. Nathan never left home. He didn't put the NRL at risk, there was no bubble at the time.

I'm sure Penrith find your tears salty and and delicious.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Dr Zaius wrote: October 18, 2020, 4:55 pm Ivan did nothing that Sticky didn't do.

The Fox (along with Latrell) did far worse than Nathan, travelling half way across the state at the time. Nathan never left home. He didn't put the NRL at risk, there was no bubble at the time.

I'm sure Penrith find your tears salty and and delicious.
Ricky Stuart didn’t break his contract to come to Canberra. Cleary did. He’s shifty.

Nathan Cleary certainly put the game at risk:

Pictures emerged after Anzac Day of Cleary hanging out with five women on a couch, a clear breach of social distancing restrictions.

The Penrith player made his excuses — the women were friends of his sister who had just popped round to wait for an Uber and he had been foolish enough to pose for a photo with them. He was given a slap on the wrist by the NRL and excused by police.

It was all lies. TikTok videos soon came to light showing Cleary performing a synchronised dance routine with the women. And it was revealed it was not his house, but that he had travelled to a friend's.

The NRL was not happy and neither were the cops. Cleary was suspended for two rounds of the NRL and fined $30,000 — and police hit him with an additional $1,000 fine.

Australian Rugby League Commission chairman Peter V'landys said Cleary and other recalcitrant players were "putting the game and the community at risk by their actions".

Read more: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-09-04/ ... k/12624758
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Double standards Fergus

"NRL 2020: Latrell Mitchell, Josh Addo-Carr, shooting, gun, firearm, police investigation, caught breaking COVID-19 rules | FOX SPORTS" https://coupler.foxsports.com.au/api/v1 ... 6a1f2f46b4
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

And the tik tok fiasco was a month before the season resumed.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Dr Zaius wrote:And the tik tok fiasco was a month before the season resumed.
Yep and it put the season at risk because at the time community sentiment was against sport restarting and these events lived up to everyone’s expectations that NRL players sticking to strict COVID restrictions was a huge risk
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

zim wrote: October 18, 2020, 1:58 pm Come on anyone but Smith!
Couldnt be more opposed to this.
Smith is the best player i've ever seen play, he's a joy to watch... a true master of his craft, brilliant footballer who excels not because of his physical attributes but his mental.
I hope he retires the way all greats should, holding the trophy above his head.

Sport tends to continue to produce players of higher and higher quality every generation, but you may never see a player of Cam Smith's quality again in your life.

This is kind of the perfect GF for me that doesnt involve the Raiders.
I'd be perfectly happy to see the panthers win, it's my home town, i've got a lot of mates who support them. Their club ethos are building around a strong nursary that produced a lot and none better than the greatest poster the GH has ever seen, they play a fun brand of footy and they're talented across the board.

Melbourne are a testiment to brilliant coaching and how truly great Cam Smith is. As above, i'd love to see him go out with another premiership. I love watching melbourne play, the nonsense about spoiling tactics etc is all just narrative Bull, their brand of footy is superb to watch. Elite talent being maximised every step of the way and stunning execution.

I'll be sitting back watching the GF and enjoying every moment of it. Heart says Penrith win, head says Storm.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

gangrenous wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:And the tik tok fiasco was a month before the season resumed.
Yep and it put the season at risk because at the time community sentiment was against sport restarting and these events lived up to everyone’s expectations that NRL players sticking to strict COVID restrictions was a huge risk
More so than the Fox driving across the state to go hunting in a large group? You see the double standards here?
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I’m not in that side of the argument. Can take that up with GE
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Botman wrote:
Their club ethos are building around a strong nursary that produced a lot and none better than the greatest poster the GH has ever seen,

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

gergreg wrote: October 18, 2020, 8:45 pm
Botman wrote:
Their club ethos are building around a strong nursary that produced a lot and none better than the greatest poster the GH has ever seen,

I know, right?

Fui copping strays :lol:
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

gangrenous wrote:I’m not in that side of the argument. Can take that up with GE Image
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

I personally hope Penrith win. They have been the best side all season and deserve to take home the crown.
Mercury
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Mercury »

greeneyed wrote: October 18, 2020, 11:39 am
Dr Zaius wrote: October 18, 2020, 11:34 am Carn Penrith!
Last thing I’d want to see is Penrith win.
Damn straight. It kills me to say it, but I'd rather Melb than the Panthers.
This is the equivalent of hemlock or arsenic.
moto748
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: George Williams

Post by moto748 »

Opinions split, then.

As I said on another thread, I hope Penrith win, for all the reasons people have already mentioned: they have been the best team in the comp, that's a matter of record, they play entertaining footy that is a joy to watch. Frankly I think if you're reduced to picking on off-field behaviour by players to bolster your argument against some team, you're on pretty weak ground. Cos someone can always say, yes, but what about so-and-so? And because for me, Brandy Alexander is just another commentator (and, FWIW, we (Wigan) beat then in the 1991 WCC at Anfield; I was there to see it! :D ). And also because a former Wigan and Penrith player who lives round the corner will, I know, be delighted if they do.

And of course Cam Smith is an all-time great, and a joy to watch. And so were Cronk and Slater. But it doesn't stop me (and many,many others, it seems) cordially disliking them and their team.

That's the great thing about sport; we can all have our prejudices, and we are not required to justify them.
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

Cameron Smith is a grub. - will never forget his targeting of Croker’s knee off the ball in the 2016 preliminary final. Doing that to a fellow professional, off the ball, speaks volumes about the type of human he is, let alone the Alex McKinnon saga or his role in the salary cap scandal. He is an incredible player, but also one of the biggest grubs the game has produced.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

TongueFTW wrote: October 19, 2020, 6:55 am Cameron Smith is a grub. - will never forget his targeting of Croker’s knee off the ball in the 2016 preliminary final.
The GH has had some wonderful completely fabricated narratives over the years, but the Zapruder film people did on that to convince themselves that Smith practically stormed the field with a crow bar to tried to take out Croker's knee on what was actually innocuous and incidental contact is easily my favourite.

And that it not just survives but THRIVES 4 years later speaks to it's quality.