2020 NRL Grand Final: Teams and Game Day

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Who will win?

Panthers 13+
No votes
Panthers 1-12
17%
Storm 1-12
67%
Storm 13+
17%

Total votes: 6

Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Re: 2020 NRL Grand Final: Teams and Game Day

Post by Makaveli »

Begbie wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: October 25, 2020, 9:07 pm
The Greenhouse wrote:Ryan Papenhuyzan wins the Clive Churchill Medal.
Fantastic player, likeable bloke. Had a great game. Happy with that.
I had money on Smith to win the thing. But how do you dislike Papenhuyaz? Great player and great bloke, not a bad bone in his body.
If you had it on Sportsbet then they paid out on Smith

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Danaman137 wrote: October 25, 2020, 7:29 pm Can’t help but think that this Penrith performance comes down to that 45 min drive Nathan Cleary had to make to the Dally M presentation on Monday...
Call of the night!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

-PJ- wrote: October 25, 2020, 7:46 pm I'm picturing Brandy in fetal position sobbing uncontrollably..
I like that idea.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Makaveli wrote:
Begbie wrote:
I had money on Smith to win the thing. But how do you dislike Papenhuyaz? Great player and great bloke, not a bad bone in his body.

Oops. Somebody is going to get their **** kicked tomorrow.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Elcaptcroker wrote: October 25, 2020, 7:52 pm Panthers had become too cocky, everyone from their fans to the players to the office workers in the club had all gotten to cocky.

This is melbourne showing them you must respect finals and be humble
Absolutely.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The officiating from the bunker tonight was an absolute debacle. They basically gave the Panthers six points and the first sin binning was an absolute crime against rugby league. If you can't stand your ground... I mean honestly, there is something horribly wrong with the officiating department at the NRL.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Dr Zaius wrote:
Makaveli wrote:
Begbie wrote:

Why did they do that?..

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Sid wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:
Makaveli wrote:
Begbie wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: October 25, 2020, 9:07 pm Fantastic player, likeable bloke. Had a great game. Happy with that.

Why did they do that?..

No idea they paid out after he scored that try just before half time

Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Makaveli wrote:
Sid wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:
Makaveli wrote:
Begbie wrote: I had money on Smith to win the thing. But how do you dislike Papenhuyaz? Great player and great bloke, not a bad bone in his body.

Why did they do that?..

No idea they paid out after he scored that try just before half time

Papenhuyzen was the right call for mine. 1000m, a solo try and nice cleaning up at the back beats goal kicks from right in front and diving on a loose ball on a tryline

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
moto748
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: George Williams

Post by moto748 »

Gutted. I switched off after the final whistle; couldn't bear to watch the rest.

The officials didn't cover themselves in glory, it's certainly fair to say the Panthers didn't get the run of the ball, at the very least, in the first, but compensating for that by allowing that kick from Yeo (who had another very good game) was surely wrong wrong wrong. The penalty try I thought was fair enough. As long as it is always ruled that way. A lot of forward passes from dummy half seemed to go unpunished from both sides. A few high shots from the Storm too. I don't disagree with the first sin-binning; he changed his line, knew what he was doing. Plus a team-mate attempted a trip too.
moto748
Gary Coyne

Post by moto748 »

Papenhuyzen is a terrific player, and deserved MoM.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Old School Green wrote: October 25, 2020, 9:05 pm Storm better team. And, great call a few posts back. If cleary is fair dinkum he will say that panthers were managed back into the game cause they were.
Try from a clear rule breach; 11 players vs 13 with both bins contentious; a million 6 agains to maybe 1?
Congrats to Melbourne. Penrith had a rails run this year and it would have been a nod to the inequity of the 2020 season had they won.
Storm deserved winners of the comp with what they have dealt with and how they have played.
I don't know about being "managed back into the game", but there were some absolutely horrible calls. The first Panthers try and the sin binning of Hughes should lead to the bunker official bein stood down... disgraceful.

And I haven't even got to the Gould commentary yet. Awfully biased. Disgracefully biased. The NRL shouldn't allow their broadcaster to cover the game in such a horrible fashion.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Panthers had 48 sets to Storms 40. That tells me more about the refereeing than the other stats.
moto748
Gary Coyne

Post by moto748 »

For me, the Grand Final is about the only game where I get the Nine commentary, so never normally have to put up with Gould and Rabbits and co. All the Fox guys are better, but I can't say the commentary is such a big deal for me. You always have the option of turning the volume down. The game is the thing.
moto748
Gary Coyne

Post by moto748 »

Gould shilling for Penrith is no different to Cronk and co shilling for Roosters or the Queensland crew shilling for the Broncs.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

moto748 wrote: October 25, 2020, 10:03 pm Gould shilling for Penrith is no different to Cronk and co shilling for Roosters or the Queensland crew shilling for the Broncs.
Oh no, it's infinitely more annoying... You'd know if you have had to hear him during the season.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Dr Zaius wrote:
Makaveli wrote:
Begbie wrote:

Not really, they do that **** all the time

Like paying out on Shorten to win the election last year about 4 weeks out

Think it's as much a PR gimmick than it is getting it wrong

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

One of the worst grand final games I've seen. Melbourne's defence in the first half won it for them. They capitalised on a ton of Penrith errors and ultimately hung in there after an ordinary second half. Kikau had a shocker.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

BJ wrote: October 25, 2020, 9:56 pm Panthers had 48 sets to Storms 40. That tells me more about the refereeing than the other stats.
Penrith had a mountain of field position in the first half and were gifted a ton of posession in the second. They still couldn't do it.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Storm experience combined with Panthers inexperience a contributing factor. Storm first try because either the Panther player did not know the rule or chose to risk it. Either way inexperienced play. Same with the knock down of the ball at dummy half just before half time. If the Panther hits Smiths arm and it comes loose it is a knock on. Instead he only hit the ball so it is play on and Smith cleanly picks up the ball but then keeps a cool head for the Try under the sticks. It sure helps when your best players are available to play.

The Papenhuyzen try took me back to my pre-teens and watching Reg Gasnier. He was a center for St.George and is an immortal. They played under a 3 yard ruck rule in those days so the defenders were very close. He would take the ball and drift up to the line, there would then be a swerve or jink and an explosion of acceleration and he was through the line. One difference was Gasnier would throw his head back as he ran whereas Papenhuyzen had his head down. Either way, some similarities for me and very exciting to watch.

Storm deserved winners on the night. Papenhuyzen deserved Clive Churchill Medalist. Next year the Raiders win it!
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

All I want to say is - suck !@#$ Penrith ! Suck !@#$ Cleary, May and Tetevano ! Suck !@# Ivan the Arrogant ! Suck !@#$ Barrett !

Listening to the fat toad commentate tonight was tough. Fat toad was playing the role of a fat cheerleader - hope he doesn't burst a blood vessel and have a heart attack with his beloved losing tonight
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Enough is enough - after tonight, the Fat Toad should stop commentating on games. I'm sick of his !@#$. Lucky I only need to put up with Channel 9 once a year on GF day as I have Fox in HK
Here's a video of the Toad Style of the Fat Gould School of Bias !@#$ at 1:20:
Colk
Dean Lance

Post by Colk »

Why was everybody going for the Storm? To me, it is completely dispiriting watching the Storm or the Roosters win every year and to be honest I can’t see it any different next year.
moto748
Gary Coyne

Post by moto748 »

greeneyed wrote: October 25, 2020, 10:09 pm
moto748 wrote: October 25, 2020, 10:03 pm Gould shilling for Penrith is no different to Cronk and co shilling for Roosters or the Queensland crew shilling for the Broncs.
Oh no, it's infinitely more annoying... You'd know if you have had to hear him during the season.
I have heard him plenty, thanks. It's clear that Gould is widely disliked by Aussie league fans (except Panthers fans, and by some of them too!); a glance at this forum, and other forums I frequent, will tell you that much. Everyone is up in arms about him.

Go back a couple of years, and I'd hear him on every other commentary. Nowadays I only get the Fox coverage, except for the GF, so the first time I'd heard him in a while. He's not my favourite, but I don't have a dog in the fight, so I can't say he bothers me *that* much (Rabbits probably annoys me more). And as I said before, other commentators and summarisors have their favourites too. In many cases, there seems to be more talk about him than the actual game!

Anyway, I am gutted that Melbourne won. MoM was well deserved, though.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Colk wrote: October 26, 2020, 4:13 am Why was everybody going for the Storm? To me, it is completely dispiriting watching the Storm or the Roosters win every year and to be honest I can’t see it any different next year.
It says a lot that the Storm were preferred to the alternative. Arrogant, entitled team that had been handed a dream run by the NRL. Sydney. Greg Alexander. Cleary. 45 minutes to Artarmon.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

The amount of people on socials saying the refs favored Melbourne is crazy. I thought most of the calls, at least in the first half, were on point. And the worst calls definitely went against Melbourne.

The non shepherd call is one of the worst I’ve ever seen.

I can’t help but think the lack of faith in Naden (essentially in the winning formula) really hurt Penrith’s mindset and confidence.

That Vunivalu try is one of the all time great gf efforts for mine too. While he is the most boneheaded player I’ve seen in some instances he will he missed. He has always been an absolute freak with ball in hand and I’m glad Canberra won’t have to play against him again.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Colk
Dean Lance

Post by Colk »

greeneyed wrote: October 26, 2020, 5:37 am
Colk wrote: October 26, 2020, 4:13 am Why was everybody going for the Storm? To me, it is completely dispiriting watching the Storm or the Roosters win every year and to be honest I can’t see it any different next year.
It says a lot that the Storm were preferred to the alternative. Arrogant, entitled team that had been handed a dream run by the NRL. Sydney. Greg Alexander. Cleary. 45 minutes to Artarmon.
I agree with the entitlement part and geez Gould was annoying last night but I just want to see a changing of the guard. I can’t help but think that Melbourne or the Roosters will win again next year which dampens my enthusiasm for the game a lot.
Leebola
Brett Mullins

Post by Leebola »

Colk wrote: October 26, 2020, 6:01 am
I agree with the entitlement part and geez Gould was annoying last night but I just want to see a changing of the guard. I can’t help but think that Melbourne or the Roosters will win again next year which dampens my enthusiasm for the game a lot.
Fear not, Parramatta will be given another rails run next year.
Colk
Dean Lance

Post by Colk »

Leebola wrote: October 26, 2020, 6:07 am
Colk wrote: October 26, 2020, 6:01 am
Fear not, Parramatta will be given another rails run next year.
Haha they will need more than that. I have them dropping out of the 8 particularly if they want to buy French and move their best player to accomodate him. How dumb.

I am obviously crossing my fingers for us but the manner in which we got beat in the preliminary final worries me.
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

julian87 wrote: October 26, 2020, 5:50 am The amount of people on socials saying the refs favored Melbourne is crazy. I thought most of the calls, at least in the first half, were on point. And the worst calls definitely went against Melbourne.

The non shepherd call is one of the worst I’ve ever seen.

I can’t help but think the lack of faith in Naden (essentially in the winning formula) really hurt Penrith’s mindset and confidence.

That Vunivalu try is one of the all time great gf efforts for mine too. While he is the most boneheaded player I’ve seen in some instances he will he missed. He has always been an absolute freak with ball in hand and I’m glad Canberra won’t have to play against him again.
Couldn’t agree more. What was interesting to me was the justification for May in place of Naden - he mentioned it was due to defence, yet May hardly covered himself in glory last week against Souths, and he was exposed again in the GF. Some Panthers fans are convinced it was Nathan pressuring to get his mate into the starting team - not convinced that’s the case, but changing a team that won 16 in a row (for the South’s game) was very strange. Why take a risk? May was also providing them a nice third ball playing option when he would come on in the middle.

Overall, it was a pretty frustrating game, probably the worst GF in terms of quality for a long time. In saying that, the Storm deserved the win. They are so well coached. Their tactics were spot on - their forwards really targeted Mansour and To’o on the first 2 tackles, and they rushed on the edges to force the Panthers halves in to making decisions. Kikau had an absolute shocker - just trying too hard to have an impact.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

greeneyed wrote: October 25, 2020, 9:27 pm The officiating from the bunker tonight was an absolute debacle. They basically gave the Panthers six points and the first sin binning was an absolute crime against rugby league. If you can't stand your ground... I mean honestly, there is something horribly wrong with the officiating department at the NRL.
I agree. The match was poorly officiated on the whole.

Congrats to the Storm. Thoroughly deserved Premiership. They did it the tough way this season and showed true grit. As a Raiders fan I am a touch disappointed as I think we would have also beaten the Panthers and won the GF had we made it - but all credit to the Storm.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Well deserved win for the Storm. Panthers received some dubious decisions but I'm a little sick of seeing the team that wins the ruck win again. The 6again disappeared for much of the game with storm just holding the ball or trapping the ball carrying arm for the first 60 minutes. Why introduce a rule to eradicate that type of nonsense from the game and then pretend it's not happening come finals time?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

greeneyed wrote: October 25, 2020, 9:20 pm
Danaman137 wrote: October 25, 2020, 7:29 pm Can’t help but think that this Penrith performance comes down to that 45 min drive Nathan Cleary had to make to the Dally M presentation on Monday...
Call of the night!
Call of the night x 2. The Panthers were so entitled this season. How will they handle the adversity of losing a Grand Final next season? We will see how much ticker they have then.
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

greeneyed wrote:
Don't forget about Phillip "ignore the scoreboard, Penrith are on top here" Gould.

His commentary on the Vunivalu try was disgraceful. All he could talk about was Penrith's defence.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

FWIW I think the Hughes sin bin was fair. At the ground I thought it was a harsh call, but on replay he wasn't subtle enough and shouldn't have dropped his hip into Kikau. Penriths first try was an obstruction though. Bad call there IMO.