2020 NRL Grand Final: Teams and Game Day

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Who will win?

Panthers 13+
No votes
Panthers 1-12
17%
Storm 1-12
67%
Storm 13+
17%

Total votes: 6

TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Re: 2020 NRL Grand Final: Teams and Game Day

Post by TongueFTW »

Botman wrote: October 19, 2020, 7:34 am
TongueFTW wrote: October 19, 2020, 6:55 am Cameron Smith is a grub. - will never forget his targeting of Croker’s knee off the ball in the 2016 preliminary final.
The GH has had some wonderful completely fabricated narratives over the years, but the Zapruder film people did on that to convince themselves that Smith practically stormed the field with a crow bar to tried to take out Croker's knee on what was actually innocuous and incidental contact is easily my favourite.

And that it not just survives but THRIVES 4 years later speaks to it's quality.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/sport ... roker.html

Pretty clear to me. Your constant contrarian trope is boring. It doesn’t make you look smart or less bias, it makes you just as silly as the one eyed supporters.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Botman wrote:
zim wrote: October 18, 2020, 1:58 pm Come on anyone but Smith!
Their club ethos are building around a strong nursary that produced a lot and none better than the greatest poster the GH has ever seen,
Thanks mate, but I don't know if I can take that mantle. I came from Bega.

I'll be cheering Penrith, they're the closest thing to my 2nd favourite team. Best memories with the RA were against Penrith and at Panthers. I always fouund we had decent matches against them, and living in the 2765, they're the local team
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Pretty clear to me too! :lol:
Its quite incredible that people could honestly think Cam Smith is trying to take out Croker's knee on that footage. Speaks how salty people are at his sustained level of succcess.

I dont try to look smart, less bias or be contrarian... i just call it how i see it, which often puts me at odds with the people who are so desperate to find slights against the Raiders by everyone connected to the game. The good thing? That trope NEVER gets boring :lol:
It's a good fun time, every time
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Thats why you're a fave poster of mine Botman. You're the truth. The canary guiding us through this often dark and dangerous mineshaft that is the GH psyche
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Since that was a pre-existing injury I think it would be naive to suggest Smith wasn't have a niggle at it. Completely unnatural movement to come in as he did. Same thing we would have done to Munster on the weekend if the game wasn't gone after 7 minutes.

I expect the Panthers to win this one fairly comfortably.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

I know botpig likes to cultivate a certain persona on here but it's pretty obvious the cats out of the bag, Mrs Smith.
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: October 19, 2020, 10:17 am Since that was a pre-existing injury I think it would be naive to suggest Smith wasn't have a niggle at it. Completely unnatural movement to come in as he did. Same thing we would have done to Munster on the weekend if the game wasn't gone after 7 minutes.

I expect the Panthers to win this one fairly comfortably.
This wasn't a little niggle on the ball, or in a tackle. This was a deliberate attempt to injure a fellow player on an already injured leg, but Botman says we are all seeing things, despite Smith/Storm's record of introducing grapple tackles, chicken wings, the rolling pin, crushers, and others. Apparently, the footage doesn't show Smith dropping his leg into the back of Croker's already injured knee :roflmao
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: October 19, 2020, 8:16 am Thats why you're a fave poster of mine Botman. You're the truth. The canary guiding us through this often dark and dangerous mineshaft that is the GH psyche
I do not what i can. But what i must
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

No doubt Smith has tried to push the limit and bend the rules as much as he can throughout his career. That's part of what makes him so great though, and he wouldn't be as good as he is if he didn't do those thing.

Agree with Botman's sentiments - people largely hate on him because he's so good and that's it. He has been an incredible footballer. I've been embarrassed anytime that Hodgo has been touted as better than him - not because I don't rate Hodgo, but because Smith is just simply so much better than anyone else.
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

There's a difference between bending the rules and pushing the limit, as opposed to the sorts of things Smith has done in his career. I don't buy the "people hate him because he is so good" - Thurston/Inglis are well liked players that consistently dominated. The vitriol for Smith is due to actions like Croker's knee above, complaining about a penalty while Alex McKinnon lay paralysed on the ground, helping introduce the wrestle, his general arrogance and treatment of referees. You can't understate what Smith pulled on Croker that night - to target a fellow professional like that, off the ball, when they could play a GF the following week, is not just "pushing the rules to the limit".
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Hes a Queenslander that doesnt play for the raiders hes a dead set grub.
This place is woke.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I think a decent barometer of Smith's act on Croker was GEs reaction at the time. Now GE had been a Smith apologist for 30 or 40 years. I remember even the great one conceded it was grubby.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I still think it was grubby. Low act. I don’t like the bloke, not one bit.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Botman calling that incidental contact? In other news the sky is green.

If he’s your canary in this instance I question the value of using one that’s already dead
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

greeneyed wrote:I still think it was grubby. Low act. I don’t like the bloke, not one bit.
Exhibit A your ... your... I hesitate to say your honour because that would be downright offensive to some of the fine judges we have in this country.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Daily Telegraph has done it again!! Grand Final result has been leaked

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

@NRLNewsNow on Twitter

Teams named for the 2020 NRL Grand Final: ow.ly/nEKz50BX5yT

#NRL #NRLGF #NRLPanthersStorm #rugbyleague
Mariner
Peter Jackson

Post by Mariner »

edit
Last edited by Mariner on September 9, 2022, 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Get back the Ten
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: John Bateman

Post by Get back the Ten »

Valemei had a mixed bag of a game but still managed to put a big shot on Kafusi. Brandon Smith was seeing stars as well.
Because of the Storm injuries
Penrith are in with big chance to win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Last year, on the corresponding day of Grand Final week, I was at Martin Place, as the teams were presented to the public. :cry:
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

At least one of these teams has to lose. That's a good thing, right?

There's something not quite right about Penrith this season, but I've fundamentally hated what the Storm have delivered to the comp over much of the last 20 years, so it's impossible for me to cheer for them.

As far as Smith goes...one of the best I have ever seen and an A grade sook to boot, but that was clearly a cheap shot on Croker.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

I'm expecting Penrith to win this one relatively comfortably. Have gone 1-12 but I can see it being 13+.
Get back the Ten
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: John Bateman

Post by Get back the Ten »

Roger Kenworthy wrote:I'm expecting Penrith to win this one relatively comfortably. Have gone 1-12 but I can see it being 13+.
I agree Penrith by 15 the Raiders had a off game last week but still managed to hurt them in defence and attack ( Valemei on Kaifusi)
Penrith to pile on the points against the storm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

2020 Grand Final – Who to Cheer for? https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/10 ... cheer-for/

Even raiders.com.au is calling Brandy out for his bias against the Raiders in his commentary. In a joking sort of way...
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Hehe, if Cameron Smith wins the Clive Churchill he'll become the first referee in the history of the game to win the award.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Ivan literally gave a kidney to his brother. But GE can't support a team he's involved with, would rather support one with Smith who would likely sell his grandmother's kidney to win a game. :lol:

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/his-br ... 1603479205
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Looks pretty deliberate to me. It's pretty arrogant to tell people why they dislike certain players.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -game.html
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

It’s absolutely deliberate. Yet another case of pigman swinging wildly beyond the rational in a bid to be unbiased
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders stars have ex Green Machine back Brenko Lee ready for NRL grand final

Brenko Lee has revealed keeping his old club's potent left edge quiet in the preliminary final has the Storm centre confident they can do the same to Penrith's most-dangerous side.

"There's no secret there. They're going to be coming at our edge," Lee said. "Canberra's left edge with Croker and Wighton was their best attacking edge and we know Penrith's ... most dangerous edge is Crichton and Kikau. We know it's coming, but we did a good job on Croker and Wighton Friday night.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I guess we’ve got a Brent Naden - or Mansour, nearly a Raider - story coming too!
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

On the bright side, the team made sure there is no ex-raider James Tedesco stories this week!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Panthers have left Brent Naden out of their top 17.
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

Welcome to our coverage of the 2020 NRL Grand Final. The NRLW Grand Final is just an hour away. Here are the final team line ups for the Women's decider:

Brisbane Broncos

1. Tamika Upton 2. Shenae Ciesiolka 3. Julia Robinson 4. Jayme Fressard 5. Meg Ward 6. Raecene McGregor 13. Tarryn Aiken 8. Millie Boyle 9. Lauren Brown 16. Shannon Mato 11. Amber Hall 12. Tallisha Harden 7. Ali Brigginshaw 10. Chelsea Lenarduzzi 14. Annette Brander 15. Jessika Elliston 17. Chante Temara

Sydney Roosters

19. Botille Vette-Welsh 1. Shanice Parker 3. Corban McGregor 4. Yasmin Meakes 5. Brydie Parker 6. Melanie Howard 7. Zahara Temara 8. Simaima Taufa 9. Nita Maynard 10. Filomina Hanisi 11. Vanessa Foliaki 12. Sarah Togatuki 13. Hannah Southwell 14. Quincy Dodd 15. Kennedy Cherrington 16. Grace Hamilton 17. Jocelyn Kelleher

And here are the latest squads for tonight's NRL Grand Final:

Penrith Panthers

1. Dylan Edwards 2. Josh Mansour 3. Brent Naden 4. Stephen Crichton 5. Brian To'o 6. Jarome Luai 7. Nathan Cleary 8. James Tamou 9. Apisai Koroisau 10. James Fisher-Harris 11. Viliame Kikau 12. Liam Martin 13. Isaah Yeo 14. Tyrone May 15. Kurt Capewell 16. Moses Leota 17. Zane Tetevano 18. Mitch Kenny 20. Matt Burton

Melbourne Storm

1. Ryan Papenhuyzen 2. Suliasi Vunivalu 3. Brenko Lee 4. Justin Olam 5. Josh Addo-Carr 6. Cameron Munster 7. Jahrome Hughes 8. Jesse Bromwich 9. Cameron Smith 10. Christian Welch 11. Felise Kaufusi 12. Kenneath Bromwich 13. Nelson Asofa-Solomona 14. Brandon Smith 15. Tino Fa'asuamaleaui 16. Dale Finucane 17. Nicholas Hynes 18. Tom Eisenhuth 19. Paul Momirovski

There are reports that Brent Naden will be left out of the top 17 for the Panthers, with Tyrone May to start.
The Greenhouse score update service
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

Roosters kick off to start the NRLW Grand Final.
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

4th min TRY BRONCOS to Tamika Upton, backing up a break from Tarryn Aiken. Meg Ward converts.

Broncos 6-0