NRL set for massive payday in historic Foxtel, Nine broadcast deal

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

edwahu

Re: NRL set for massive payday in historic Foxtel, Nine broadcast deal

Post by edwahu »

yeh raiders wrote: May 22, 2020, 12:07 am Fox have axed Andy Raymond. He was a genuine entertainer and for some bizarre reason they moved him to the sidelines and now he’s gone!

With Rabs about to finish up, I hope Raymond ends up at channel 9.

I only really like about 3 or 4 of the lead commentators for the NRL and he is one of them.
No doubt all the ex Bronco commentators will be safe.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

edwahu wrote: May 22, 2020, 7:27 am
yeh raiders wrote: May 22, 2020, 12:07 am Fox have axed Andy Raymond. He was a genuine entertainer and for some bizarre reason they moved him to the sidelines and now he’s gone!

With Rabs about to finish up, I hope Raymond ends up at channel 9.

I only really like about 3 or 4 of the lead commentators for the NRL and he is one of them.
No doubt all the ex Bronco commentators will be safe.
I think Andy Raymond is a terrible commentator, but then so are all the ex Broncos players.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

V'landys aiming to get reduced crowds back by July 1.

Good luck to him.

‘We’re looking for Mars now’ — V’landys wants crowds at NRL games by July

ARLC chairman Peter V’landys has revealed he’s aiming to get crowds back to NRL games as early as July 1.

“We’re on the moon, we’re looking for Mars now. The next test for us is once they relax the measures, we want to see in the next three weeks if the infection rate is altered in any fashion. If it hasn’t, we’ll be pushing very hard for crowds... capped crowds.”

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... f23f84df97

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Only fair if the home teams get to play at home.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Quite pleased with V’Landy’s performance through this pandemic. The commission should lock him in now for 3 years as the NRL focuses stability.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Fox announces they’ve signed to be the broadcaster of the NRL for another eight years, to 2027.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL announces new broadcast deal with Nine, Foxtel

The ARLC has agreed to new broadcast deals with Channel Nine through to 2022 and Foxtel through to the 2027 season.

The new deal extends Foxtel's for a further five years, with the previous rights agreement having covered the five-year period of 2018-2022.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/05/28/nrl ... ne-foxtel/

Broadcast future secured for rugby league fans

The Australian Rugby League Commission (ARLC), Foxtel and Nine Entertainment Co have agreed to a broadcast partnership to secure the long term delivery of rugby league to fans.

The deals provide certainty with both broadcasters recommitted to the current rights period until the end of 2022; with Foxtel extending its partnership for a further five years until the end of 2027.

ARLC Chairman Peter V’landys AM thanked both broadcast partners for their cooperation and collaboration and said the result is a win for fans, the game and all partners.

“I want to thank Foxtel CEO Patrick Delany and Nine CEO Hugh Marks for reaching an outcome that puts the fans and the game’s future first,” Mr V’landys AM said.

“I am delighted to have worked with our long-standing partners Foxtel and Nine to reshape and resume the 2020 NRL Telstra Premiership. It is significant that on one of the most important days in our game’s history, we have finalised the deals to ensure its future.

“Our negotiations were tough but always in a spirit of goodwill and shared ambitions for the betterment of rugby league. We could not have reached our May 28 restart ambitions without the teamwork and collaboration of our partners.”

“These deals provide certainty to ensure our 16 clubs remain strong and that we can continue to invest in grassroots rugby league across our communities.”

For the resumed 2020 season:

Foxtel will continue to show all eight games every round - including five exclusive telecasts each weekend;

Nine will continue to televise three weekly NRL matches - Thursday and Friday nights, plus Sunday afternoon;

Nine will provide exclusive coverage of the October 25 Grand Final;

Nine will continue its exclusive coverage of the three State of Origin matches, to be held this year over three weeks on November 4, 11 and 18.

Foxtel Group CEO Patrick Delany said: “Foxtel is incredibly pleased to support the NRL through this difficult period and to have footy back on Foxtel this weekend, every round, every game, live and ad free during play.

“This is a great outcome for footy, for fans and for players. It’s also a hugely important signal to everyone in Australia, and around the world, that we will get through these times, and we can keep players and coaching staff safe while we all enjoy the game.

“The agreement between Foxtel and the NRL extends our existing broadcast rights for a further five years and cements our position as the Home of NRL until 2027. It provides the NRL with the certainty to continue to develop the status of the game and gives fans the go to destination for the best of NRL, all in one place.

“Being back on the field and back on air tonight doesn’t happen without leadership. I want to acknowledge Peter V’landys AM and everyone at the NRL and the clubs for their passion to get the game back. It’s been outstanding.”

Nine’s CEO Hugh Marks said: “As we approach the kick off for the resumption of NRL season 2020, I want to congratulate Peter on his leadership, and also Andrew for stepping into his role in these extremely difficult circumstances. They have both enabled us to confidently move forward and invest in the future of NRL.

“The team at Nine are in this for the long term and we all look forward to working with the NRL and all the stakeholders, as we continue to build on the success of the game for its long term future.

“Our on-air and production teams have combined to bring even more excitement to the game, further enhancing the experience for the fans at home starting tonight. Let’s now all enjoy the game.”

The financial details of the deal will remain commercial in confidence.

NRL media statement
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

C'mon. Everybody wants to know what is happening with the NRL digital rights? Not directed at you GE.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Channel Nine strips more than $80 million from rugby league in new broadcast deal

The NRL has agreed to a new broadcast deal with Nine Entertainment Co and Foxtel. In an update to the stock exchange, Nine flagged projected savings of $27.5 million for 2021, the same amount for 2022 and an even greater saving for the current year given the modified season.

Read more: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-st ... 54xg0.html
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I really hope they don't do another deal with 9. Even if it costs a lot of money.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Ch9 took advantage of the NRL at a weak moment to screw them out of crucial $$. They've made it abundantly clear they only see the game as a cash cow and showed their true colours when their support was needed.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Northern Raider wrote: May 28, 2020, 9:50 pm Ch9 took advantage of the NRL at a weak moment to screw them out of crucial $$. They've made it abundantly clear they only see the game as a cash cow and showed their true colours when their support was needed.
We should be grateful that there is no extension of their deal, at least. Disgraceful behaviour from Nine, throughout.
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

It isn't specified, but I bet the revised deal with Ch 9 until 2022 allows them to continue dictating the scheduling so the Broncos get 5x the FTA games we do... I can feel it in my bones.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

It's now blatantly obvious that Ch9 will screw you over at the first available opportunity. When a new deal is negotiated they should give it to 7 or 10 for 5% less than 9's best offer.

Less money up front is a small trade off to rid yourself of a business partner that is driven by self interest and cannot be trusted.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Meanwhile last night rated 1.3m, the highest for an NRL game since 2014.

1.3 million reasons to smile: NRL return most-watched since 2014

The NRL's return to the paddock has delivered a bumper win on the airwaves, with Parramatta's demolition job on Brisbane recording more than 1.3 million viewers – the highest rating for a regular season game since 2014.

Nine's 951,938 viewers across metro and regional markets for Thursday night footy were the highest free-to-air ratings for an in-season game since 2016. Fox Sports had an additional 355,000 viewers.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/05/29/1.3 ... ince-2014/
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

greeneyed wrote: May 28, 2020, 7:34 pm Nine’s CEO Hugh Marks said: “As we approach the kick off for the resumption of NRL season 2020, I want to congratulate Peter on his leadership, and also Andrew for stepping into his role in these extremely difficult circumstances. They have both enabled us to confidently move forward and invest in the future of NRL.

The team at Nine are in this for the long term and we all look forward to working with the NRL and all the stakeholders, as we continue to build on the success of the game for its long term future.
I hope not.

They already destroyed the cricket coverage and lost that sport. Not looking too bright for them retaining the NRL.

Hopefully channel 10 becomes a reasonably viable option in the next 3 years.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Ratings through the roof: NRL draws 4.5 million TV audience

Almost 4.5 million Australians tuned in to the NRL Premiership's return to our screens across round three, making for the fifth-largest TV audience in a regular-season weekend in NRL history.

By the end of the round, a total of 4,490,336 viewers were recorded across eight games, the largest audience in which three games have been broadcast on free-to-air since the record set in round one of 2013.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/06/01/rat ... -audience/
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Wow. The Channel 9 shareholders must be upset now the comp has restarted, given the CEO told the ASX they'd save $130 million if the season was cancelled.

Now they have reneged on their deal and we have near record ratings.

What a joke.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Telstra to be locked out of streaming rights

The NRL’s feud with Nine will see the league lock Telstra out of streaming rights for the game from 2023. On the back of Fox Sports’ blockbuster rights extension through to the end of the 2027 season, the NRL hopes to bring Nine on board for longer.

The move is significant as Telstra customers can currently access games for free on their phones, meaning Fox and Nine would solely share those rights in a restructured deal.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 719cc68f36
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

It's ridiculous to not go to market for streaming rights separately. Did he even ask Telstra what they would pay before he cut them off? By 2027 they will be more valuable than FTA.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

edwahu wrote: June 3, 2020, 8:34 am It's ridiculous to not go to market for streaming rights separately. Did he even ask Telstra what they would pay before he cut them off? By 2027 they will be more valuable than FTA.
Absolutely. Plus the NRL should be getting itself into a position to start its own streaming service, asap... not locking it away with one very poor FTA broadcaster.
Merlin
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Scott Logan

Post by Merlin »

An article in todays SMH states that AFL sources believe that the NRL deal with Ch9 is under market value, and that the AFL will get a better deal in regard their contract revision.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Still doing market research there Merlin? Keep up the good work mate.

I’ll fill in your survey. Yes as a punter I think based on what we’ve seen the contract is undervalue. Surely it has to be given the point of weakness the NRL negotiated it from.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Merlin wrote: June 3, 2020, 6:45 pm An article in todays SMH states that AFL sources believe that the NRL deal with Ch9 is under market value, and that the AFL will get a better deal in regard their contract revision.
Doesn't surprise me in the slightest.
Merlin
Gerry De La Cruz

Post by Merlin »

gangrenous wrote: June 3, 2020, 6:55 pm Still doing market research there Merlin? Keep up the good work mate.

I’ll fill in your survey. Yes as a punter I think based on what we’ve seen the contract is undervalue. Surely it has to be given the point of weakness the NRL negotiated it from.
No, I have explained this before, this really annoys me.
Why are is V,Landys so willing to bend to CH9s demands?
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Merlin wrote:
gangrenous wrote: June 3, 2020, 6:55 pm Still doing market research there Merlin? Keep up the good work mate.

No, I have explained this before, this really annoys me.
Why are is V,Landys so willing to bend to CH9s demands?
Vlad has actually provided his reasons.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Surely no one can accurately say whether Nine has paid ‘overs or unders’ when the Covid impacts and the changes to terrestrial and/or internet broadcasting remain so up in the air.

This is trying to put a commercial value on giant airships before the Hindenburg disaster and emerging passenger plane design.
Merlin
Gerry De La Cruz

Post by Merlin »

My criticism is based on the assumption that ch10 could be interested in the NRL rights, creating some sort of market based value. If Ch10 are not interested than V'Landys comment that he needed to consider Ch9s viability when renegotiating the terms of the current contract make some sense.
Could be, that the AFL people are trolling the NRL in regard to the value of the respective TV rights deals.
I detest the smugness of CH 9 CEO Hughes, I think the only opinion he would be interested in would come from the person he sees in the mirror when shaving.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Broncos on TV for 18 out of 20 games. Raiders get 2. Great work Channel 9 you bozos.