NRL announces 20 round competition for 2020

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: NRL announces 20 round competition for 2020

Post by greeneyed »

yeh raiders wrote: April 29, 2020, 9:16 am How close together will the Origins be played? 1 per week?
We don't know, but you would imagine so. It'll be Wednesday nights to suit Nine.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

greeneyed wrote: April 29, 2020, 9:18 am
yeh raiders wrote: April 29, 2020, 9:16 am How close together will the Origins be played? 1 per week?
We don't know, but you would imagine so. It'll be Wednesday nights to suit Nine.
Yeah I'd say Ch9 will have a huge say in the Origin schedule. Fair enough too. That's their big ticket item and biggest source of revenue. With no considerations for crowds it can be purely focused on the best rating time slot. Wouldn't surprise if they're 3 consecutive Friday nights.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Northern Raider wrote:
Yeah I'd say Ch9 will have a huge say in the Origin schedule. Fair enough too. That's their big ticket item and biggest source of revenue. With no considerations for crowds it can be purely focused on the best rating time slot. Wouldn't surprise if they're 3 consecutive Friday nights.
it was leaked earlier in the week at least by Kevin Walters that it's 3 consecutive Wednesdays

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

bonehead wrote: April 29, 2020, 9:55 am
Northern Raider wrote:
it was leaked earlier in the week at least by Kevin Walters that it's 3 consecutive Wednesdays

Seems an odd choice as there's no clashes with other programs. I'd guess it's Ch9 mindset e.g. Wednesday night origins had highest ratings in the past therefore Origin must be on Wednesday night. They wouldn't consider the multitude of other mitigating circumstances for this series.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

By October there might be a bit more freedom, so people might be doing things on weekends again.

Wednesday is always good cause you pick up non NRL/sport people just cause it's on

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I think Wednesday Origin is great for how non rugby league fans, workplaces and students engage with Origin in the lead up to game time and then on the Thursday afterwards.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Praying for a Raiders premiership..

Then they can play Origin on 3 consecutive nights as far as I'm concerned.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Nathan Cleary’s Uber story collapses as NRL star captured dancing with girls on TikTok: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... a2fc92550f

They should have suspended all these players for a couple of weeks.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

greeneyed wrote:Nathan Cleary’s Uber story collapses as NRL star captured dancing with girls on TikTok: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... a2fc92550f

They should have suspended all these players for a couple of weeks.
Yeah like 15 of them
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

I'm disgusted by this. A swarm of women go over to Cleary's house to smother and dance with him during a lockdown and I can't even get a text back.

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

I question their taste, honestly. He's really not that good looking.

And apparently he's a lying prat, which is entirely unattractive.

I am getting a laugh out of all the people who were screeching about the race card who were smugly predicting that Phil Gould would backflip now Cleary's involved. When he didn't, you could practically see them flailing in confusion.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Northern Raider wrote: April 29, 2020, 10:38 am
bonehead wrote: April 29, 2020, 9:55 am
Northern Raider wrote:

Seems an odd choice as there's no clashes with other programs. I'd guess it's Ch9 mindset e.g. Wednesday night origins had highest ratings in the past therefore Origin must be on Wednesday night. They wouldn't consider the multitude of other mitigating circumstances for this series.
Maybe they don't want it to clash with the T20. :lol:
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Re: NRL re-start on May 28 locked in after broadcast talks

Post by RedRaider »

Northern Raider wrote: April 28, 2020, 4:13 pm I see they all got a suspended suspension.
NRL thrashed them with a feather NR when they deserved the whole chook. Hopefully the actions of a few don't further delay the footy enjoyment of the many, but I can easily understand the various Governments saying to the NRL in the words of John McEnroe: "You cannot be serious!"
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Re: NRL re-start on May 28 locked in after broadcast talks

RedRaider wrote: April 29, 2020, 9:19 pm
Northern Raider wrote: April 28, 2020, 4:13 pm I see they all got a suspended suspension.
NRL thrashed them with a feather NR when they deserved the whole chook. Hopefully the actions of a few don't further delay the footy enjoyment of the many, but I can easily understand the various Governments saying to the NRL in the words of John McEnroe: "You cannot be serious!"
Should be simple. Anybody caught disregarding social distancing requirements should sit out the first 4 matches of the new season. Call it an additional mandatory quarantine before they can take part. ;)
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Players focused on May 28 but want NRL to clarify key issues

NRL players have reaffirmed their commitment to the May 28 restart but are seeking "further information" on several issues, including a revised pay deal, before next week's proposed return to training.

Despite an overall commitment to take their place in a revamped competition, angst has grown among Warriors players around remuneration and potential for their families to join them in Australia given an indefinite stay looms.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/04/30/pla ... ey-issues/

Cameron Smith ‘backs player revolt’ as stars prepare to boycott key NRL meeting: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... aa21f472aa

Looks like the initial reporting from Nine was again skewed... but I will say this... if Cameron Smith doesn't want to play, he can always retire on his millions. Others aren't so fortunate.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Are the NRL players serious? Time to put egos aside for good of the game

From unregistered firearms to Tik Tok videos on Anzac Day and now the latest doozy – a player revolt on returning to training May 4 if pay demands aren’t resolved.

Are the NRL players serious? It doesn’t matter if you’re Gorden Tallis, Andrew Johns or Sam Burgess in terms of what you’ve achieved on the field, in the court of public opinion threatening to revolt is about as smart as taking a 12-gauge shotgun to your kneecap.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 65aa00e422

It is sort of simple. If the players don't play, they don't get paid as much as they could be... and a lot of other people in the game are unemployed or don't get paid what they might be either.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

NRL announces 20 round competition for 2020

Post by gangrenous »

Yeah I read that this morning and couldn’t believe it. How hard is it to shut up and go to training and threaten not to play later if the pay turns out not to be acceptable when they can actually give you a number. It’s gonna be a lot higher than the 0 for the foreseeable future if you want to risk bankrupting your organisation.

Clowns.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

QLD premier out out a message saying farmers who normally rely on backpackers for seasonal work are desperate for people now. NRL players can always go work there of they aren't happy with their current deal.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

James Graham just saying on Fox League Live the players won't turn up for training on Monday if they don't get written guarantees about pay and conditions. In a world where people have lost jobs, businesses or have taken big pay cuts - people who regularly post on this page - that'll do me. The players already have a guarantee that they'll receive their fixed percentage of any additional game revenues.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Surely common sense prevails here? Do the players really need this spelled out to them?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

I'm expecting them to be at training. There'll be some face saving exercise about "agreeing in principle" or getting the deal done at the last moment after the silly posturing.
Surely you'd turn up just to get out of the house for a day.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Yep, the playing group as a whole are not looking particularly good through this.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

So..

Is Jack getting paid or not ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Jack Wighton posted something on Instagram Stories... sharing the story yesterday to the effect of “who’s playing up... I’ve got bills to pay”. I took from that he wants to start training.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

In a week where the actions of players could have cost the NRL their re-start date, this is particularly tone-deaf.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Sydney Morning Herald slanting every story against the NRL re-start: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... cc7ee88e3a

They claim to be "Independent. Always." No longer. They are just a mouthpiece for Channel 9's commercial interests.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Sydney Morning Herald slanting every story against the NRL re-start: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... cc7ee88e3a

They claim to be "Independent. Always." No longer. They are just a mouthpiece for Channel 9's commercial interests.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

‘If any of you **** this up... deal with me’: Bellamy bans social media in all-time blow up

Craig Bellamy set up a meeting with his players over Zoom this week where he blasted them for their social media use. What’s more, he went one step further by banning use of it once training resumes on Monday.

“There’s a few of you guys who are out of control with social media,” Bellamy told the players. “When you are back Monday, it’s banned. If any of you **** this up for our club then you will have to deal with me”.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/if-any ... 394100e262

Not dealing with the underlying cause... but can't really blame him.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

raiderskater wrote:In a week where the actions of players could have cost the NRL their re-start date, this is particularly tone-deaf.
Spot on.

The players seem to be totally disconnected from the implications of the Coronavirus and clearly lack any understanding or empathy for what is happening to everyday people across the globe.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

New Zealand Warriors cleared to land in Australia as NRL showdown begins over player pay cut

The national cabinet has granted the Warriors an exemption to fly into Australia on Sunday. The Warriors will base themselves in Tamworth, with the airport temporarily transforming into an international airport to receive one flight – the Warriors on a private charter.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... cc7ee88e3a
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

greeneyed wrote:The Sydney Morning Herald slanting every story against the NRL re-start: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... cc7ee88e3a

But... that’s a fox sports link? Image
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gangrenous wrote: May 1, 2020, 12:37 pm
greeneyed wrote:The Sydney Morning Herald slanting every story against the NRL re-start: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... cc7ee88e3a

But... that’s a fox sports link? Image
Quoting an SMH story... free link.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Players commit to Monday return but awaiting details before training

NRL players will return to club duty for Monday's biosecurity "education day" and hope to be back on the training paddock afterwards pending further clarity on their workplace conditions.

V'landys said the players have agreed to attend the information session on Monday but they are yet to commit to training from Tuesday onwards until they get clarity on all their training and playing conditions.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/05/01/pla ... -training/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL strikes pay deal but PM says Warriors, return date has not been cleared

The NRL has finally reached an agreement on pay with the players but Scott Morrison has denied the Warriors have been granted an exemption nor has the May 28 return been cleared.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... cc7ee88e3a

PM yet to give official approval for NRL's May 28 return

Prime Minister Scott Morrison has not yet given the green light for the NRL to return on May 28 and said on Friday the states would be providing "consistent health advice" on how the competition should operate.

"Ultimately those decisions will be made in those states but they'll do so on the set of consistent medical advice and that should assist those codes and how they're progressing those issues."

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/05/01/pm- ... 28-return/

Prime Minister Scott Morrison announced the government has not yet given the green light for the NRL to return on May 28 when addressing the media on Friday afternoon after the National Cabinet meeting: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/05/01/pm- ... 28-return/

V'landys: Warriors flying into Tamworth but doesn't expect long-term stay: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/05/01/vla ... term-stay/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

It is pretty clear that a lot of the journalists and sub editors who write the headlines don't understand what are Commonwealth and what are State responsibilities.