NRL announces 20 round competition for 2020

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: NRL re-start on May 28 locked in after broadcast talks

Post by Northern Raider »

Very true. The ability of the comp to resume in the proposed timeframe could rely on the NRL coming down hard on these two. Added bonus that it's Bunnies and Storm that suffer.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Would happily see both players suspended until 2021.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Latrell doubling down on on the race card.
https://www.news.com.au/sport/spot-the- ... 62c95bdf05
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

That's fine.. don't put it on social media then dumbass

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

So, he's using one example of contrary behaviour on Sydney beaches (which has been widely criticized) to excuse his own example, and then somehow played the race card by implying everyone is turning a blind eye to the beach situation. :lol:

In case he didn't realise, those people at the beach were widely criticized and ultimately caused said beaches to be shut down.

Enough is enough. This bloke is a massive reputational risk to the NRL. Now it's on the national health front as well as with this immature debate about racism. There are hundreds of people at risk of having their livelihoods taken away if the NRL cannot prove it is able to manage these idiots.

Mitchell needs to either shut his mouth or be shut down. He and JAC are welcome to have their cultural dirt bike and illegal bottle shooting gatherings 1000 km away from the NRL comp (and it's pay packet) and he can deal with the authorities as any other private citizen would if they break the rules.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

It never ceases to amaze me how a small handful of idiots can set back race relations so quickly.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NSW Origin and Penrith Panthers star Nathan Cleary has been busted breaking strict social distancing rules on Anzac Day. Two pictures have emerged of Cleary sitting on his couch at home surrounded by several women, who reportedly popped into visit him on Saturday: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... e4b06b1e7a
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Well the NRL season was a nice pipedream

yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

“Surrounded by several women”

:lol: :lol:

What an idiot.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Like all power to him

But why.the.****.does.this.need.to.be.posted.on.SOCIAL.MEDIA

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Because pics or it didn’t happen Tdubs
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Clearly a cultural ANZAC gathering.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

-TW- wrote: April 28, 2020, 1:00 pm Like all power to him

But why.the.****.does.this.need.to.be.posted.on.SOCIAL.MEDIA

Reckon those girls will be in more trouble than him. Popped in on their way out somewhere else. Obviously no intention of following any protocols. Police will be interested to hear their story.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

I hope Cleary comes out and plays the race card.

If he was coloured no one would care.

Seriously - the mind boggles that not only are these self entitled **** knowingly breaking government.enforced restrictions, but are so freakin stupid they put it on social media.

And considering he lives at home, with his coach, this is even more stupid. I hope
Ivan gets grilled as well.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Coastalraider wrote: April 28, 2020, 1:26 pm I hope Cleary comes out and plays the race card.

If he was coloured no one would care.

Seriously - the mind boggles that not only are these self entitled **** knowingly breaking government.enforced restrictions, but are so freakin stupid they put it on social media.

And considering he lives at home, with his coach, this is even more stupid. I hope
Ivan gets grilled as well.
Ivan wasn't there. Off camping with his mates.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Loads of females out there seem to have a thing for young Cleary. I really don't get it.... I mean guys like SBW, Matt Cooper, even Beau Ryan - sure. But Cleary and that Roger Ramjet chin of his? I don't see where it's coming from.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

One of the girls was drinking Corona..

Nice touch.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Mitchell, Addo-Carr fined $50,000; Cleary fined $10,000 for self-isolation breaches

Latrell Mitchell and Josh Addo-Carr have both been fined $50,000 for breaching self-isolation protocols. Tyronne Roberts-Davis and Nathan Cleary have both been fined $10,000.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/04/28/mit ... -breaches/

Player sanctions

The National Rugby League (NRL) has today issued players Latrell Mitchell, Josh Addo-Carr, Nathan Cleary and Tyronne Roberts-Davis with breach notices for bringing the game into disrepute.

The notices allege that Mitchell, Addo-Carr, Roberts-Davis and Cleary have each shown a blatant disregard for public health orders, guidelines and advice and in doing so have brought significant reputational damage to the NRL.

Penalties proposed, which reflect the severity of each Player’s alleged breach are:

Latrell Mitchell (South Sydney Rabbitohs): $50,000 fine (60 per cent suspended for the remainder of the season)
1 match suspension (suspended for the remainder of the season)
Josh Addo-Carr (Melbourne Storm): $50,000 fine (60 per cent suspended for the remainder of the season)
1 match suspension (suspended for the remainder of the season)
Tyronne Roberts-Davis (Newcastle Knights): $10,000 fine (60 per cent suspended for the remainder of the season)
1 match suspension (suspended for the remainder of the season).
Nathan Cleary (Penrith Panthers): $10,000 fine (60 per cent suspended for the remainder of the season).
1 match suspension (suspended for the remainder of the season).
All four players will have five days to respond to the breach notices before a final determination is made.

The penalties allege that each player has brought the game into disrepute and do not pass judgment on any ongoing police investigations.

Australian Rugby League Commission (ARLC) Chair Peter V’landys said:

“The players have a responsibility to the game and community. It is important that, in these challenging times, we all have to work together to combat COVID-19 and compliance with public health orders is a critical requirement,’’ he said.

“The players have to understand that they are putting the game and the community at risk by their actions. It’s certainly hard to accept such behaviour when the game is doing everything it can to persuade the community that its players are responsible and behave appropriately.

“The penalties have been structured so as to give these players one further opportunity to demonstrate that they can be trusted. If they contravene again, then those parts of the penalty that have been suspended will be activated and they may also be subject to further sanction.”

NRL Acting Chief Executive Andrew Abdo said the game acted quickly to send a clear message to all players and the wider community.

“The sanctions proposed today are stronger than fines which can be imposed by authorities because we hold our players to a higher standard and they must set a higher standard for the community,’’ he said.

“We are focused on resuming the competition on May 28, something our fans and stakeholders are excited about. Players who do not comply with community and NRL protocols will face sanction.”

NRL media release

NRL dishes out $120,000 in fines over ‘unacceptable behaviour’: https://7news.com.au/sport/rugby-league ... -c-1003058

NRL quartet fined for breaches but no bans: https://7news.com.au/sport/rugby-league ... -c-1002646

Tamworth mayor welcomes NRL's Warriors: https://7news.com.au/sport/rugby-league ... -c-1002739
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Got off lightly.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

$50k buys a lot of shotgun shells..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Weak, pathetic, utterly spineless by the cretins at NRL HQ. Too afraid of being labelled racists, too afraid of doing something serious because they were "names". No suspension, and the fines are a mere slap on the wrist considering that 60% of the fine was suspended.

I almost do want the state governments to withdraw any approval for May 28 with the remark "you're clearly not taking this seriously".
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

I see they all got a suspended suspension.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Latrell Mitchell hit with firearms summons over camping trip: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 98dd333f63
edwahu

Re: NRL announces 20 round competition for 2020

Post by edwahu »

20 rounds confirmed. 18 + 2 completed. Grand final is October 25th with Origin played after over 3 weekends in November.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-si ... 54o0h.html
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL announces 20 round competition for 2020 with Grand Final on October 25

The NRL Telstra Premiership will recommence as a 20-round competition on May 28 with the grand final to be played on October 25.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/04/28/nrl ... -for-2020/

Lock it in! NRL confirms a 20-round season - and we have a grand final date: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... bf33b0b7a6

NRL to resume with 20-Round competition

The NRL Telstra Premiership will recommence as a 20-round competition on May 28 with the Grand Final to be played on October 25.

Australian Rugby League Commission (ARLC) Chair Peter V’landys today confirmed the details after extensive consultation with broadcast partners, clubs, and key stakeholders.

The first two rounds of the competition will be counted and the current competition ladder remains in place when games resume.

The competition draw will be determined in the next two weeks, including timing of State of Origin which will be conducted after the Grand Final.

Mr V’landys thanked Nine CEO Hugh Marks and Foxtel CEO Patrick Delany for backing the return of rugby league.

“Today is a landmark day for rugby league in 2020,” Mr V’landys said. “This is a great outcome for our players, fans, partners and stakeholders and I’m extremely appreciative for the cooperation and support from Hugh Marks and Patrick Delany. Both have always acted in good-spirit and have demonstrated how partners work together."

Training will recommence for all clubs on May 4 and stringent biosecurity measures, known as Project Apollo Protocols, will be introduced for players, club officials and staff. These protocols will be more strict than the current public health guidelines and players will face sanctions if they breach the protocols.

The New Zealand Warriors are expected to arrive in Australia on Sunday and it is anticipated they will serve 14-days quarantine in Tamworth. The NRL is continuing to work with federal and state governments on player travel and border permissions.

Mr V’landys said it was clearly safer to play now than what it was when the competition proceeded in Round 2.

“It’s safer now to play then it was in Round 2 when we were playing. The daily infection rate in NSW was 25.79% when the last game was played. It has been now less than 1% in NSW for the last 18 days and is continuing to drop. There has also been a significant improvement in the recovery rate, being 75% in NSW and 83% in Australia.

“Our players will be safer under our protocols than they would be as regular members of the community.”

The NRL’s working group, Project Apollo, will meet tomorrow to continue preparations to resume the season.

NRL media release
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Win for V'landys there, didn't back down to nine

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

raiderskater wrote:Weak, pathetic, utterly spineless by the cretins at NRL HQ. Too afraid of being labelled racists, too afraid of doing something serious because they were "names". No suspension, and the fines are a mere slap on the wrist considering that 60% of the fine was suspended.

I almost do want the state governments to withdraw any approval for May 28 with the remark "you're clearly not taking this seriously".
I'm absolutely certain you would feel this strongly if a Raiders player was involved or did something similar.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Bad luck Nine.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Probably would be the NRL hate the Raiders

Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

NRL announces 20 round competition for 2020

Post by Sid »

I was kind of hoping for an 15 round season, everyone playing each other once and a bit of room to move if there were a 2nd outbreak. But it is what it is
Last edited by Sid on April 28, 2020, 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Someone I was talking to raised the point that with Origin post season and no home crowds to influence the refs this might actually be the most legitimate season in a long time.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I'm a fan of a post season origin, its having more and more of a drain on the comp

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

A stronger message needed for NRL players to follow?

NRL acting boss Andrew Abdo thinks the small group of players breaking the social-distancing laws won't hurt the chances of the competition resuming on May 28.

"I have multiple concerns and I'm focussed on a number of things ... we're working day and night to get the competition up and running," he said on Tuesday.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

gergreg wrote: April 28, 2020, 5:51 pm
raiderskater wrote:Weak, pathetic, utterly spineless by the cretins at NRL HQ. Too afraid of being labelled racists, too afraid of doing something serious because they were "names". No suspension, and the fines are a mere slap on the wrist considering that 60% of the fine was suspended.

I'm absolutely certain you would feel this strongly if a Raiders player was involved or did something similar.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
I absolutely would. This thing is not a ****ing joke. Look at the death tolls in other countries. We've got away with it so far but if everyone was as selfish a jerk as these four we'd be looking at Italy numbers - or US. This is the crucial stage so that we don't get smashed by the second wave. These absolute ****s are so selfish they don't even care. Smack em out of the comp for the year.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

How close together will the Origins be played? 1 per week?