NRL announces 20 round competition for 2020

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

NRL announces 20 round competition for 2020

Post by greeneyed »

Channel Nine uses Chewbacca defence to weasel out of paying NRL
David Polkinghorne
OPINION

The good folk of Channel Nine, they work for a TV station. It's fair to assume they watch a lot of television. So they clearly know about the Chewbacca defence. As someone in our virtual office quipped: "They've had 20-30 years to complain about the NRL wasting their money."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Former Canberra Raiders coach Matthew Elliott is part of a panel which will be talking NRL on Saturdays and Sundays from 2pm on ABC Radio Canberra: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14237
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Re: Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart backs 15-game NRL season to remove any premiership asterisk

Post by Seiffert82 »

greeneyed wrote: April 11, 2020, 2:50 am Channel Nine uses Chewbacca defence to weasel out of paying NRL
David Polkinghorne
OPINION

The good folk of Channel Nine, they work for a TV station. It's fair to assume they watch a lot of television. So they clearly know about the Chewbacca defence. As someone in our virtual office quipped: "They've had 20-30 years to complain about the NRL wasting their money."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
:lol: love it Polky. People in glass houses indeed.

While it is fair that this pandemic has revealed massive issues with NRL HQ and they needed a kick in the ****, you've got to admire Channel 9 for trying to use the situation to renegotiate their deal. However, a quick look at the Ch9 share price since they listed in December 2013 shows their company has gone backwards over 6 years, well prior to this COVID market crash. It's always easy to point fingers at others, but not so easy to sort out the mess you've created for yourself.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart backs 15-game NRL season to remove any premiership asterisk

Post by greeneyed »

Who’d have guessed?

Sydney Roosters boss Nick Politis demands the NRL restart the competition ladder

The NRL’s most influential official, billionaire Roosters boss Nick Politis, is demanding the season be restarted on May 28 with all 16 clubs on zero points to protect the integrity of the competition. Politis says the competition will become “meaningless” if it resumes over 13 games.

“If you change the draw, you’ve got to start again,” he said. “It becomes meaningless and makes it almost mathematically impossible for the bottom sides to make the top four.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... e3ae0f9ef1

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/sydne ... 5671389f85

Conference format set to reignite points loss debate: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/confer ... 54j12.html
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

And here's another huge shock... Phil Gould backing Channel 9s attack on the game...

Nine attack was right on the money, and the game needed to hear it
Phil Gould

The statement made by Nine regarding the NRL this week, clearly approved by chief executive Hugh Marks, was timely and appropriate. I believe it will prove to be hugely significant.

On behalf of Nine, he needed to say it. The NRL needed to hear it. The rest of the media world needed to hear it. Rugby league fans needed to hear it, too. It was blunt, honest and accurate.

Read more: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/nine-a ... 54iyc.html

Revealed — the letter sent to V’landys that proves NRL can restart in NSW: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... cb09dab901
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

I still feel pretty uncomfortable with this. I just think there are so many unknowns and May 28 is still a long time away.

The unknowns also make it hard to know what is best for the season. If there are going to be no crowds for the season then just playing 13 games more and getting it over and done with is probably the better option.

However, if we are going to get to August, September, October and crowds are going to be back, no one will want to see the season end.

There is no doubt the government is desperate to get through Easter. Clearly if restrictions were not followed over Easter it could have been devastating. However, if we get to the end of April and are in pretty good shape, the argument to ease restrictions will grow stronger.

One would think mass sporting events will be one of the last things allowed, but I just hope that this thing came on us faster than anyone thought, it might end (at least in Australia) faster than we thought.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Almost impossible to imagine there will be any crowds at games in 2020.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

There won't, social distancing measures will be wound back slightly in the next 4-6 weeks, but it will be a solid six months before they're wound back enough to allow events.

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

-TW- wrote: April 11, 2020, 10:02 pm There won't, social distancing measures will be wound back slightly in the next 4-6 weeks, but it will be a solid six months before they're wound back enough to allow events.

Even if it was six months, six months from now is October. If the GF was December, we would have crowds for the last month of games and finals.

The reality is no one really knows. One minute there is discussion that restrictions could be in place for 12-18 months, the next minute there is an article that it could be eliminated in Australia in the next couple of months.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

I think the other question is whether there will be a lot of interest if we have multiple weeks of no crowds.

Round 2 was a curiosity but by the end of it seemed utterly pointless. However that was because it was obvious the situation was getting worse and that the competition would be suspended.

Would interest be maintained for 13+ weeks in empty stadiums?? Maybe it is different if the rest of our lives are improving.

From a personal point of view, I am not sure I have a lot of interest if I can’t go to the games. Certainly not as much as normal. I think I would feel really hollow if we won the premiership and I couldn’t be there.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

People that watch on Fox are dedicated fans and won't care about the lack of crowds. It might hurt FTA a little but more so for the finals when there is a genuine atmosphere.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Bay53 wrote: April 11, 2020, 10:15 pm I think the other question is whether there will be a lot of interest if we have multiple weeks of no crowds.

Round 2 was a curiosity but by the end of it seemed utterly pointless. However that was because it was obvious the situation was getting worse and that the competition would be suspended.

Would interest be maintained for 13+ weeks in empty stadiums?? Maybe it is different if the rest of our lives are improving.

From a personal point of view, I am not sure I have a lot of interest if I can’t go to the games. Certainly not as much as normal. I think I would feel really hollow if we won the premiership and I couldn’t be there.
My guy... check out social media
ESPN are steaming players playing NBA2K on their channel, they're replaying old classics, they are running an Ali marathon.

If you dont think think people are going to FLOCK to sports on their TV like a pack of seagulls flock to a chip thrown away in disgust then you arent paying attention. The one sports takeaway from this situation is that it has solidified the role professional sports plays in modern day society. The populace would watch two snails crawl up a wall right now

Sports cant be replaced. You might feel differently about it. But the general population has spoken loud and clear, they crave sports like almost nothing else. Sport is bullet proof.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

The saving grace of watching that **** is there are some NBA superstars who are worse than me at that game.

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

In a world where content is so readily available and streaming is delivered in such a way that mitigates the abilities for the population to collectively engage in a single show/event like we have prior... the only thing you cant escape, the only thing that is spolier proof is sports..

you miss the live event and you cant escape it. It's MUST see tv... no one needs to see tiger king, and you can avoid it you must... if youre mid way through you can figure out a way to avoid the spoilers, but when SOO happens, its over. You cant go to the shops, turn on your radio, listen to a podcast, the news, forget it

That's ultimately why all this song and dance from nine will very likley amount to nothing. They know as much as anyone, sports is king and as far as ratings for sports in this country goes, RL is the King of Kings.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Botman wrote: April 11, 2020, 10:49 pm
Bay53 wrote: April 11, 2020, 10:15 pm I think the other question is whether there will be a lot of interest if we have multiple weeks of no crowds.

My guy... check out social media
ESPN are steaming players playing NBA2K on their channel, they're replaying old classics, they are running an Ali marathon.

If you dont think think people are going to FLOCK to sports on their TV like a pack of seagulls flock to a chip thrown away in disgust then you arent paying attention. The one sports takeaway from this situation is that it has solidified the role professional sports plays in modern day society. The populace would watch two snails crawl up a wall right now

Sports cant be replaced. You might feel differently about it. But the general population has spoken loud and clear, they crave sports like almost nothing else. Sport is bullet proof.
I get that sport plays a very important role. I also think there will be strong ratings, at least initially, partly because there has been no Live sport for weeks.

However, will there be the passion, will people really be as invested in the result, I don’t know.

Maybe it is just me. For me, my whole being part of the Raiders is going to games. I was a member before I went to my first game. I have missed very few matches over the past 16 years. It is the connection of being part of the club. Of course, I haven’t been to every game, there have been some I have watched on tv, and of course I was passionate about those games. But the difference was next week I would be there, we would be together as a Raiders family.

Without that it becomes another TV show, you watch, you enjoy, but then you forget about it pretty quickly.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Pffft. I don’t need crowd noise in the background to enjoy a game of rugby league. Sure it can enhance the atmosphere but that’s the limit of it. I have no problem if they play the rest of the season in empty stadiums, as long as they are playing.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

I can tell you from personal experience that i've managed to become a fairly passionate raiders fan whilst going to about 5 games in the 25 years I've been following the game, people become hardened NFL/EPL fans without ever stepping foot in the USA/UK.

You don't need to go to games to get in behind a team
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Sid wrote: April 12, 2020, 12:27 pm
BadnMean wrote: I don't think the Roosters will get much traction with whinging, blind Freddy could see it's the fairest to each club and most easily understandable/sellable format to the fans.
Blind Freddy actually wanted to halve the points from the first 2 rounds.. for some reason

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/brad-fittl ... 312a891b46
‘Cause Roosters. They’re trying everything.
Chicka Chicka Chicka
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Chicka Chicka Chicka »

Just when you thought it wasn’t possible to dislike the Roosters more then this happens.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

John Barilaro reveals why NSW Government is backing return of NRL

NSW Deputy Premier John Barilaro has pledged state government support for the return of NRL competition by May 28, stressing: “Rugby league is at the heart of everything we do in NSW.”

Only days after NSW Health Minister Brad Hazzard questioned restarting rugby league amid the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, Mr Barilaro, close friend of Canberra coach Ricky Stuart, is now joining the ARLC Project Apollo push personally.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 4091c2679a
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Azza wrote: April 13, 2020, 7:23 am If we were 0-2 and faced the prospect of a shortened comp pretty sure a bunch of people here would be raising the same argument as the Roosters' supremo.
Wrong again Azza!
They’ve told me here that wouldn’t happen. Never. This club is above that kind of thing. We out the game first here.

And certainly we don’t have an entire forum of posting history that comprehensively shows a pattern of behaviour around this kind of thing

Lololololol
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

People probably would make the same argument of we were 0-2. Unfortunately that argument is baseless.

Actually, scratch that. If we were 0-2 against the Warriors and Gold Coast, I'd be strongly arguing to cancel the season entirely and remove all traces of those rounds from the record books.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

-PJ- wrote: April 13, 2020, 6:02 am Don't you sleep Seiff ?
Not well. :lol:
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart backs 15-game NRL season to remove any premiership asterisk

Post by gangrenous »

Botman wrote: Your problem is your utter and total inability to ever try and see things from another perspective. All you want to do here is see this for the raiders perspective, and that this is some nefarious plot to **** the raiders.
No, I understand the other perspective. It’s objectively wrong as you’ve agreed. But you’ve outlawed pointing out it’s wrong because although it’s wrong, it’s in his best interest to do so that makes it okay.

You’re a hypocrite. You get up in arms when Raiders fans go beyond the rational in support of their team. Try and berate them into a rational view. But Nick Politis? Come on down, it’s in your interest buddy knock yourself out. No criticism for that.

Last edited by gangrenous on April 13, 2020, 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Seiffert82 wrote: April 13, 2020, 7:34 am People probably would make the same argument of we were 0-2. Unfortunately that argument is baseless.

Actually, scratch that. If we were 0-2 against the Warriors and Gold Coast, I'd be strongly arguing to cancel the season entirely and remove all traces of those rounds from the record books.
:roflmao
Exactly seif
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Seiffert82 wrote: April 13, 2020, 7:35 am
I woke up at 6 and logged on, it seems you haven't been to bed..

What a machine..no E10 in your engine !!!
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

-PJ- wrote: April 13, 2020, 7:59 am
Seiffert82 wrote: April 13, 2020, 7:35 am
I woke up at 6 and logged on, it seems you haven't been to bed..

What a machine..no E10 in your engine !!!
Too many Easter eggs. :lol:
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Anyway, credit to V'landys for keeping the NRL on the back page of the newspapers. The most talked about sport in Australia on the back of absolutely zero games being played. People may either love it or hate it, but they are at least talking about it.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Nine and Gould slammed for kicking rugby league during its biggest crisis

Phil Rothfield has ripped into Phil Gould for defending Nine network amid its savage attack on the NRL last week. Rothfield writes that Nine now faces “the most severe public relations backlash” for taking on the league in the midst of the coronavirus crisis.

“It faces the most severe public ­relations backlash for trying to kick rugby league while it’s down and ­facing its biggest crisis,” he wrote.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/live-b ... 35db8cf9a2

Channel 9 will pay for disgraceful ploy: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 5e69f23a04

NRL hits back at explosive Channel 9 accusations

“I’ve heard a couple of times that we have had no consultation with broadcasters. I can tell you categorically that’s not true,” Greenberg said. “I have met with all three broadcasters in the past two weeks, and that includes Nine, Foxtel and (international rights holder) Sky TV. All of them have been in consultation with us the whole way through.”

Read more: https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-h ... 5e4406da7c

Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk asserts NRL not exempt from travel restrictions: https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/queen ... 87daacf566

Fairfax used to have the highest journalistic standards in the country. No longer, now they're owned by Nine. They're now just a further mouthpiece for Channel Nine's current campaign against rugby league. The NRL would do well to rid themselves of them, as soon as practicable.

The rest of the media aren't covering themselves in glory either with this story. While the NRL was hoping for exemptions from the Queensland border closure... or that they would have been lifted by late May... the plan to re-start was always based on the presumption that the Queensland teams and Warriors would need to base in a "bubble" in Sydney for at least a number of weeks. They would then be "NSW based teams".

The television reporting this morning seems to suggest that the Queensland and Victorian governments might stop teams travelling to Sydney... but there's nothing in the rules or regulations to stop that. The current rules would require the Queensland teams to isolate for 14 days should they return to Queensland. Not so sure about NZ's rules... but in any event, there seems to a lot of misrepresentation going on. Seven News this morning was saying the NSW Premier is "furious" about suggestions the NRL might start in late May... but the NSW Deputy Premier said last night that he's had personal discussions with her and the NSW Treasurer, and they're supportive, subject to meeting all the requirements and protocols. The NSW health minister seems to have been oblivious to the fact the NRL already had written advice from the Police Commissioner that the game can re-commence.

It's not been perfect public and private relationship management from the NRL. It probably would have been better to cross all the t's and dot all the i's before Thursday's announcement. But I don't see any excuse for Nine. If they were feeling left out, they just had to pick up a phone. Absolutely no need to make that public statement. Despicable act, and a dirty negotiating tactic.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

There is so much doubt, confusion and misinformation going on that sometimes you need to have an embarrassing public debate to get these things sorted.

At the end of the day, the NRL have every right to seek clarity on what they are dealing with. If they are trying to have productive discussions behind the scenes and elements of government want to comment publicly with their personal opinions, then maybe it's a discussion that needs to be had.

Clearly the NRL have to play by the same rules as every other business, including quarantine and travel restrictions. Just be clear on what the rules are.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

greeneyed wrote:Nine and Gould slammed for kicking rugby league during its biggest crisis

Phil Rothfield has ripped into Phil Gould for defending Nine network amid its savage attack on the NRL last week. Rothfield writes that Nine now faces “the most severe public relations backlash” for taking on the league in the midst of the coronavirus crisis.

“It faces the most severe public ­relations backlash for trying to kick rugby league while it’s down and ­facing its biggest crisis,” he wrote.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/live-b ... 35db8cf9a2

Channel 9 will pay for disgraceful ploy: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 5e69f23a04

NRL hits back at explosive Channel 9 accusations

“I’ve heard a couple of times that we have had no consultation with broadcasters. I can tell you categorically that’s not true,” Greenberg said. “I have met with all three broadcasters in the past two weeks, and that includes Nine, Foxtel and (international rights holder) Sky TV. All of them have been in consultation with us the whole way through.”

Read more: https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-h ... 5e4406da7c

Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk asserts NRL not exempt from travel restrictions: https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/queen ... 87daacf566

Fairfax used to have the highest journalistic standards in the country. No longer, now they're owned by Nine. They're now just a further mouthpiece for Channel Nine's current campaign against rugby league. The NRL would do well to rid themselves of them, as soon as practicable.

The rest of the media aren't covering themselves in glory either with this story. While the NRL was hoping for exemptions from the Queensland border closure... or that they would have been lifted by late May... the plan to re-start was always based on the presumption that the Queensland teams and Warriors would need to base in a "bubble" in Sydney for at least a number of weeks. They would then be "NSW based teams".

The television reporting this morning seems to suggest that the Queensland and Victorian governments might stop teams travelling to Sydney... but there's nothing in the rules or regulations to stop that. The current rules would require the Queensland teams to isolate for 14 days should they return to Queensland. Not so sure about NZ's rules... but in any event, there seems to a lot of misrepresentation going on. Seven News this morning was saying the NSW Premier is "furious" about suggestions the NRL might start in late May... but the NSW Deputy Premier said last night that he's had personal discussions with her and the NSW Treasurer, and they're supportive, subject to meeting all the requirements and protocols. The NSW health minister seems to have been oblivious to the fact the NRL already had written advice from the Police Commissioner that the game can re-commence.

It's not been perfect public and private relationship management from the NRL. It probably would have been better to cross all the t's and dot all the i's before Thursday's announcement. But I don't see any excuse for Nine. If they were feeling left out, they just had to pick up a phone. Absolutely no need to make that public statement. Despicable act, and a dirty negotiating tactic.
Buzz ripping into 9 for ripping into the NRL. Oh puhlease. Buzz has made a career from **** on the game.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Agree with all that GE. I think the NRL was a bit premature to hold a presser and announce a target date for resumption. Whether a tactic or not I think that could have been handled better.

That said I think the behaviour of Ch9 has been absolutely despicable in response. Clearly showing they have no regard for the game at all and are purely focused on their own commercial interests.

My gut feel is they're concerned about losing their power. They have been able to dictate to the NRL for decades. The big change now is V'landys is head of the ARLC and he's a formidable person who's not afraid to rattle cages. Ch9 are seeing a shift in power and are terrified. Their reaction has been to go on the attack in attempt to undermine the perceived threat. Don't think that tactic will work with V'landys based on what I've seen from him in the past.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I think it’s purely dollars. Their path to cutting costs through Covid is to not pay the NRL 130M.

Whether that be because they can argue the NRL haven’t met their commitments, or worst case scenario having the contract terminated and the NRL go elsewhere simply by being **** seems to be the strategy.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

The only reason they are paying the $130m is because the investment reaps dividends. Broadcasting the NRL is a money making exercise, and will likely be even more so when the comp returns.

They are all treading a fine line here. The game generates a certain amount of revenue and the ultimate question is who benefits the most from it. Ch9 used to reap huge amounts of profit from the game under their old broadcast deals, but the balance of power is clearly shifting.

The new game changer is online streaming and the likes of Kayo now on the scene. Everyone is now getting high speed internet connected - particularly in response to COVID. Blind Freddy can see that the FTA TV channels are in a precarious situation. The NRL are almost in a position to tell them to go and get **** if they don't want to pay for broadcast rights as the consumers who ultimately pay to watch now have options.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

gangrenous wrote: April 13, 2020, 11:36 am I think it’s purely dollars. Their path to cutting costs through Covid is to not pay the NRL 130M.

Whether that be because they can argue the NRL haven’t met their commitments, or worst case scenario having the contract terminated and the NRL go elsewhere simply by being **** seems to be the strategy.
Reckon that's 100% on the mark. Ch9 are only interested in the $$ the game makes them. If they can get it at a cut price they'll pull out every effort to do so.

Terminating the contract is the interesting one as both may seek to use it.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Seiffert82 wrote:The only reason they are paying the $130m is because the investment reaps dividends. Broadcasting the NRL is a money making exercise, and will likely be even more so when the comp returns.
That was the rights value in normal conditions. How are the advertising returns impacted by covid?