NRL announces 20 round competition for 2020

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

BJ
Steve Walters

Re: NRL announces 20 round competition for 2020

Post by BJ »

‘Anti-vax’ has about as much scientific support as my new ‘Anti-Vicks’ stance.

There’s only so much eucalyptus driven vaporub heat that any human can safely take.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Anyone know when the draw comes out for the revised comp?
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

edwahu wrote:Anyone know when the draw comes out for the revised comp?
Whenever Nick Politis finalises it.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

BJ wrote: May 5, 2020, 5:10 pm
Some of it we already know.

Friday 29 May: Broncos vs someone
Friday 5 June: Broncos vs someone
Friday 12 June: Broncos vs someone
Friday 19 June: Broncos vs someone
Friday 26 June: Broncos vs someone
Friday 3 July: Broncos vs someone

You might see a pattern forming here.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

edwahu wrote: May 5, 2020, 4:57 pm Anyone know when the draw comes out for the revised comp?
Don Furner said it'd be by the end of the week, but the broadcasters need to be "consulted"... extensively of course... so now looks like it'll be the end of next week.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Players ready for NRL return

The NRL Premiership is a step closer to resuming on May 28 with the NRL and the RLPA finalising agreement on the major components.

After an education day on biosecurity measures yesterday, the playing group has confirmed their commitment to returning to official training tomorrow and approved a pay deal in readiness for the resumption of the Premiership.

Playing squads will officially commence training in compliance with the National Principles for the Resumption of Sport and Recreation Activities Guidelines tomorrow.

The restrictions will remain in place for the remainder of the week before normal training resumes next week

Australian Rugby League Commission (ARLC) Chairman Peter V'landys AM said the return to training and the resumption of the competition was a momentous landmark for fans and players.

"It is full steam ahead for the resumption of the competition on May 28. All eyes will be on the NRL as the only live sport on television. There will never have been more interest in rugby league than on May 28," he said.

"Rugby league is part of the social fabric of so many communities. In these difficult times it will provide a tonic for so many seeking a form of normality during a period where nothing is normal."

Mr V'landys thanked the players for the sacrifices they had made for the competition to resume.

"We said from the start we are all in this together and our players have proved that. Many of them are making significant sacrifices for the competition to re-start and that is not lost on anyone."

"The New Zealand Warriors and the Melbourne Storm have had to leave their homes and their families and on behalf of all rugby league fans we thank them for that and we thank all players who will be living with stronger restrictions than current government health orders.

"We will continue to communicate openly with our players."

The RLPA today confirmed Monday's Apollo Protocols education day was well received by the players and that players and clubs are today working through individual circumstances of players with a commitment for official training to resume tomorrow.

The RLPA also confirmed the players had agreed to a pay deal which will see players guaranteed 80 per cent of their contracted payments for the 2020 season.

RLPA chief executive Clint Newton said the players were committed to the May 28 start date.

"Our players are committed to bringing our sport back to the community. They have been asked to step up during these unprecedented times and their response shows their persistence and resilience," he said.

"The induction day yesterday was very important. Like many in our community, players will have changed domestic arrangements and an added weight of responsibility with time away from family and reduced payments - but one thing that won't be impacted is their effort on the field and their commitment to the game and its fans."

Mr Newton thanked Mr V'landys and the playing group for the speed in which the play was finalised.

"We worked through arguably the fastest and most collaborative process in the game's history to secure clarity and clear direction for the industry and our members," he said.

"We set a new standard which should become the hallmark for our industry which will give us the best chance to build a more sustainable and solid foundation for the game's future."

Mr V'landys said the player health and safety would remain the NRL's absolute priority.

"Already we have seen several players with very mild symptoms sent for testing, this shows how seriously the clubs are taking our biosecurity protocols. Our players will be safer in the rugby league environment than they would be in the regular community," he said.

NRL media release

RLPA agrees to new pay deal with NRL: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/05/05/rlp ... -with-nrl/

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... b328c69864

Storm's Albury plan on track: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/03/21/cor ... t-updates/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Nine casts doubt over future with NRL

Nine Entertainment chief executive Hugh Marks has fired another salvo at the NRL, saying it's not a given the league is a part of the network's future.

"We have to be hard ... we have agreed to nothing this year," Marks said. "There is no agreement on value or for how long. It's not a given that NRL has to be part of our future."

Read more: https://7news.com.au/sport/rugby-league ... -c-1018444

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14274
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The NRL should refuse to extend or amend the deal with Nine, beyond what's necessary this season... and then ditch them as soon as possible. They are not a partner.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Northern Raider wrote:Genuine question but what is the Anti-Vaxxer argument against the flu shot? I know the general theory is the child vaccinations are supposed to cause autism. That couldn't be the case for an adult getting a flu jab.
Nothing sensible.

Old Bryce putting up as much a defence against the flu as he does against and rapidly approaching opposition attack line.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Albury City Council has just denied Melbourne Storm the use of any Council facilities...
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Northern Raider wrote:
BJ wrote: May 5, 2020, 5:10 pm
Some of it we already know.

Friday 29 May: Broncos vs someone
Friday 5 June: Broncos vs someone
Friday 12 June: Broncos vs someone
Friday 19 June: Broncos vs someone
Friday 26 June: Broncos vs someone
Friday 3 July: Broncos vs someone

You might see a pattern forming here.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

greeneyed wrote: May 5, 2020, 6:32 pm The NRL should refuse to extend or amend the deal with Nine, beyond what's necessary this season... and then ditch them as soon as possible. They are not a partner.
They've made it abundantly clear their decision making is 100% business driven. Zero concern for the game itself. Fair enough provided they don't pretend it's anything otherwise.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Dr Zaius wrote: May 5, 2020, 6:50 pm
Northern Raider wrote:Genuine question but what is the Anti-Vaxxer argument against the flu shot? I know the general theory is the child vaccinations are supposed to cause autism. That couldn't be the case for an adult getting a flu jab.
Nothing sensible.

Old Bryce putting up as much a defence against the flu as he does against and rapidly approaching opposition attack line.

Outstanding analogy. :clap:
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

greeneyed wrote:Albury City Council has just denied Melbourne Storm the use of any Council facilities...
Strange decision. Any further info on why?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Albury City Council have voted to block the Melbourne Storm from training at all council owned grounds in Albury. The City Council met on Tuesday night where they made the decision based on the fact that the council owned grounds are open for public use: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... b328c69864
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

And for those playing along at home, there are several studies involving hundreds of thousands of children have conclusively shown that vaccination does not cause autism. One study with involving less than a dozen children, with doctored results and authored by a deregistered fraud suggested that a vaccine might cause autism.

Antivaxxers don't have a very good grasp of science. Or reality.

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

NRL announces 20 round competition for 2020

Post by gangrenous »

Dr Zaius wrote:One study with involving less than a dozen children, with doctored results and authored by a deregistered fraud suggested that a vaccine might cause autism.
But aren’t the results of all medical trials doctored?
Last edited by gangrenous on May 5, 2020, 7:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

gangrenous wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:One study with involving less than a dozen children, with doctored results and authored by a deregistered fraud suggested that a vaccine might cause autism.
But aren’t the results of all medical trials doctored
Ha ha.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

gangrenous wrote:
One of your best, and by best I mean worst.

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

gangrenous wrote:
I see what you did there... And I LIKE it.

raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

gangrenous wrote: May 5, 2020, 7:31 pm
Groan.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gergreg wrote: May 5, 2020, 7:13 pm
greeneyed wrote:Albury City Council has just denied Melbourne Storm the use of any Council facilities...

When asked what he thinks the reason behind the decision was, Donaghy put it down to health fears. However, he reiterated the lengths the NRL and club is going to, to keep the players and community safe: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... ccaadff09f

There was a stated reason... their facilities should be open to the public. And the unstated... I’d throw in some code bias.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

greeneyed wrote:

When asked what he thinks the reason behind the decision was, Donaghy put it down to health fears. However, he reiterated the lengths the NRL and club is going to, to keep the players and community safe: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... ccaadff09f

There was a stated reason... their facilities should be open to the public. And the unstated... I’d throw in some code bias.
I too initially thought code bias but as it turns out the local Australian football side is allowing them to train at their facilities.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gergreg wrote: May 6, 2020, 8:00 am
greeneyed wrote:

I too initially thought code bias but as it turns out the local Australian football side is allowing them to train at their facilities.

The Councillors might be a different kettle of fish.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

From the short clip of the zoom meeting on the news, a lot of the argument was that they shouldn't be treated any different to the rest of the community.

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

-TW- wrote: May 6, 2020, 10:31 am From the short clip of the zoom meeting on the news, a lot of the argument was that they shouldn't be treated any different to the rest of the community.

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk
Come across as pissant little councillors enjoyed a small power trip.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

greeneyed wrote:
greeneyed wrote:

But if the AFL is able to press the councillors a little to sway their decision surely they would do the same to the local team? I think generally speaking it is an AFL town so maybe it is just councillors having a pissing contest - with no AFL pressure?

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gergreg wrote: May 6, 2020, 2:10 pm
greeneyed wrote:
greeneyed wrote:
gergreg wrote: May 5, 2020, 7:13 pm Strange decision. Any further info on why?

But if the AFL is able to press the councillors a little to sway their decision surely they would do the same to the local team? I think generally speaking it is an AFL town so maybe it is just councillors having a pissing contest - with no AFL pressure?

I wasn't saying it was AFL pressure. I was speculating it could be some red neck AFL supporting Councillors. Either that, or they're mates with Peter Fitzsimons and the modern equivalents of Wran's chardonnay socialists.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

From what I have heard it’s pretty simple - the facilities are currently open to the public to help with the increased wave of ‘fitness’ that everyone seems to require now (but didn’t 2 months ago.)

If the footy team trains there,
It needs to be fenced off an isolated, like the raiders have done. That eliminates its use for the tax paying locals. I’d probably side with the tax payers and not a team or comp that haven’t paid the town lip service for years.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL braced for biggest ever cuts as Peter V’landys set to slash $50 million

The NRL is reportedly set to make drastic cuts from the NRL’s operating costs by ‘streamlining’ the entire organisation – but clubs will avoid the knife. Around 200 members of those involved in development, including player and community programs. That sector accounts for $60m of the NRL’s budget – and the Telegraph claims axing half of those staff members could save $8-10m.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-20 ... c811c858e9

It would be a huge mistake to cut development officers.