NRL announces 20 round competition for 2020

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Azza
Laurie Daley

Re: NRL 'definitely' restarting on May 28, clubs to resume training May 4

Post by Azza »

Vlandys goes alright
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Azza wrote: April 23, 2020, 8:47 pm
BadnMean wrote: April 23, 2020, 8:37 pm
-TW- wrote: April 23, 2020, 8:22 pm **** them off, they're just playing games now

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk
Vlandys can call their bluff.

Refuse their unders extension offer and let Channel 9 being the only FTA channel with access to a live sport during lockdown but who are refusing to show it because their panties are in a twist. It'd be worth it to watch Nine try to explain it to fans and shareholders.

Fans can watch Fox or Kayo
Not sure that will work with the anti siphoning laws
It does actually. Those laws give FTA the right of refusal to show the sport but if they buy it and choose not to air it (and they have bought it whether they like it or not, NRL is not in breach of the contract) that is their business.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

It will never get to that.

Nine is arguing that NRL is in breach because the comp they are providing will be 'inferior' with no crowds etc.

With no other sport on, I find it a pretty spurious argument.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Yet they want to hedge their bets that the T20 WC will happen

If by some miracle it does, it will be without crowds. Pretty sure a form of cricket that is based around having an atmosphere at an empty MCG would be more of an inferior product than NRL at Belmore oval....

BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Azza wrote: April 24, 2020, 11:20 am It will never get to that.

Nine is arguing that NRL is in breach because the comp they are providing will be 'inferior' with no crowds etc.

I'd enjoy Vlandys asking politely for Chanell Nein to point out the section of the contract where crowds are explicitly required.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

BadnMean wrote:

I'd enjoy Vlandys asking politely for Chanell Nein to point out the section of the contract where crowds are explicitly required.
Who the **** watches the NRL to watch the crowd anyway..

Sure people poke fun when 36 people turn up, but I'm sure as hell not making my viewing decisions based on "hmm crowds **** I'll watch something else"

Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

My point is that while it's nice to hear the atmosphere provided by crowds on the TV, I doubt it's critical or reflective of an inferior product when there is NO other sport being broadcast at the moment.

9 are just being wankers and I really would love to see the FTA coverage go to another network.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

V'landys: Decision on NRL restructure will be finalised today

ARL Commission chairman Peter V’landys says a decision on the 2020 season length will be made on Friday following meetings with broadcasters Nine and Foxtel. V'landys will meet with respective Nine CEO Hugh Marks and Fox Sports boss Patrick Delany and said he wanted to end the "procrastination" to keep the NRL’s proposed May 28 return target date on track.

"I think the procrastination has been taking long enough and a decision will be made today."

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/04/24/vla ... sed-today/

A fed-up Peter V’landys has vowed to sort out the 2020 season by the end of Friday after describing recent commentary around the game’s attempt to return as “scaremongering and alarmist rhetoric”: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 8e0d12cbd1

Players adamant no asterisk needed for 2020 premiers: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/04/24/pla ... -premiers/

RLPA happy to 'adjust goalposts' on May 28 return if necessary: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/04/23/rlp ... necessary/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

V'landys has barely taken a wrong step so far...
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Nine are just playing silly buggers to bully the NRL into agreeing to a cut price contract extension for 3 years.

They are not negotiating in good faith to get the season up and running again. They are massively downplaying the value of the product to them and are using the pandemic as leverage to reneg on their deal.

This is not a broadcast partner you want long term. They don't value the product or promote it well. They perversely want to constrain the value of the product so they can still squeeze a profit out of the smallest possible investment.

In the long run, it will bite them in the bum as more people walk away from FTA and pay for the content directly. COVID has just accelerated that transition as more people hook up high speed internet and start to subscribe to on-demand platforms.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

That and Roy Warren....
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

NRL telling broadcasters to take it or leave it.. supposedly

'Like a boxing match': NRL's take-it-or-leave-it offer to broadcasters

The NRL will put forward a take-it-or-leave-it proposal to its broadcast partners at a meeting on Friday afternoon that will have huge ramifications on the immediate and long-term future of the sport.

V'landys also spoke to NRL coaches on a phone hook-up. They were told of the NRL's desire to find middle ground between the two broadcasters and a potential season of about 17-19 rounds.

Read more: https://amp.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/d-day- ... ssion=true

BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Azza wrote: April 24, 2020, 1:17 pm That and Roy Warren....
I see what you did there. Champagne comedy :clap:
Riaan
John Ferguson

Post by Riaan »

Someone explain to me why the NRL deserves special dispensation over the rest of the country??
The government probably won't allow the NRL re start while the rest of the country will be in some kind of lock down till September. May 28 is a pipe dream....
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

I don't think it's a pipe dream at all
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Riaan wrote:Someone explain to me why the NRL deserves special dispensation over the rest of the country??
The government probably won't allow the NRL re start while the rest of the country will be in some kind of lock down till September. May 28 is a pipe dream....
Might need to do some reading..

You'll be blowing up deluxe when community sport starts again

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 8e0d12cbd1

Fox reporting minimum 17 week season has been agreed, could be longer depending on T20 WC

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Even more spurious given Ch9's insistence on televising Bulldogs games this past few years.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Riaan wrote: April 24, 2020, 4:58 pm Someone explain to me why the NRL deserves special dispensation over the rest of the country??
What special dispensation are you referring to?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

-TW- wrote: April 24, 2020, 5:35 pm https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 8e0d12cbd1

Fox reporting minimum 17 week season has been agreed, could be longer depending on T20 WC

19 rounds should be enough to avoid any * talk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

National framework for return of sport

Prime minister Scott Morrison confirmed on Friday new national principles would be set up for sport and recreation to assist state governments. The federal government is looking at ways to help enable sport to take place again.

Morrison said a medical panel would consider three different elements - elite sport, local sport and general recreation such as surfing.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280

https://7news.com.au/sport/afl/scott-mo ... n-c-997177
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: NRL re-start on May 28 locked in after broadcast talks

Post by greeneyed »

NRL re-start on May 28 locked in after broadcast talks

Broadcast partners Fox Sports and Channel 9 reached an agreement with the NRL after extensive meetings on Friday. The NRL season will run for 17 weeks, but that is not yet confirmed.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 8e0d12cbd1

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/04/24/may ... -nine-fox/

@brentread_7 on Twitter

The broadcasters and Peter V'landys have agreed May 28 is starting date. The schedule will be confirmed after they know more about other sporting events, such as the T20 World Cup. Indicates it will run longer than 17 weeks but yet to be confirmed.

https://twitter.com/brentread_7/status/ ... 1523806212
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

I doubt the T20 world cup will go ahead.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Azza wrote: April 24, 2020, 5:55 pm I doubt the T20 world cup will go ahead.
Absolutely no chance. The fact that Nine keep on about it, just underlines that everything Nine is saying is just a negotiating tactic to cruel rugby league.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

The ICC are greedy as ****

They will only put this on to get the maximum revenue, which would involve crowds.

They won't put it on cause channel 9 (who only old the rights to about 25% of the games mind you) want it

Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

If we can get 20 weeks in (including the 2 before the suspension) I think that will be a pretty good result - and hopefully crowds can come back at some point.
Smurfette
Brett Mullins

Post by Smurfette »

So excited about this, and think PV has done an amazing job. His comments this morning on Today were spot on — there are a lot of people still operating on fear that is frankly unfounded at this point. Yes, we must all continue to take precautions and this will be the new normal for many months to come, but we also need to start thinking about how we get out of this, because it is not sustainable. The NRL will endure heavy criticism from those who enjoy sticking the boot into rugby league at every opportunity, but I think they’ve handled this very well on the whole. Looking forward to May 28!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Ben Ikin on Fox League Live again saying tonight that the competition points from the opening rounds should be scrapped. Give it up!
Chickas shoe
John Ferguson

Post by Chickas shoe »

greeneyed wrote: April 24, 2020, 6:55 pm Ben Ikin on Fox League Live again saying tonight that the competition points from the opening rounds should be scrapped. Give it up!
on what basis?
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

greeneyed wrote: April 24, 2020, 6:55 pm Ben Ikin on Fox League Live again saying tonight that the competition points from the opening rounds should be scrapped. Give it up!
Why though?
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Ikin is a muppet of Nickman / Pigman proportions anyway, I'd do the opposite of anything he suggests.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

What the **** is wrong with Ikin?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

zim wrote: April 24, 2020, 7:05 pm
Why though?
It is because in a shortened competition, each game result is more important in making the top eight. If some clubs deliberately had a strategy of a "slow start", that's their problem. We need to have as many games played as possible... and you can't just forget that two games of the 2020 season were played. It's ridiculous to suggest otherwise. The Chairman has said three times... the competition points will stand. Project Apollo has confirmed it too. The 16 coaches have all agreed the competition points should stand.

It is decided, time for Ben Ikin, Mal Meninga and Nick Politis to move on! Unless you progressively make decisions, then put that issue aside, we'd never get the season started again.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Azza wrote: April 24, 2020, 7:15 pm Ikin is a muppet of Nickman / Pigman proportions anyway, I'd do the opposite of anything he suggests.
:lol:

One of Ben Ikin’s greatest hits during a channel 9 Broncos game “if the Broncos can score here, they’ll go 4, possibly 6 points ahead...”

Thanks professor !
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Azza wrote: April 24, 2020, 6:11 pm If we can get 20 weeks in (including the 2 before the suspension) I think that will be a pretty good result - and hopefully crowds can come back at some point.
I hope so to Azza, but I just can't see crowds back at all this year. I think the Tassie and Singapore experience has freaked a few people out about how quickly this thing can spread and shut down an entire region.