Who is the best current non rep NRL player?

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

julian87
Laurie Daley

Who is the best current non rep NRL player?

Post by julian87 »

Trying to drum up some rugby league talk.

Who do you think is the best NRL player who hasn't played rep footy. (I'll call it Origin or Eng/Aus/NZ)

We'll all talk our current crop. But considering some who've played ahead of him I think Joel Thompson would be up there. He's a much better player than Josh Jackson IMO and I reckon he could fill in for Cordner's role too.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Re: Who is the best current non rep NRL player?

Post by -TW- »

Mitchell Aubusson

Just one of those guys that will always do a job, and you can name him 1-17 and he'll perform

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I'll play... Jarrod Croker.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

-TW- wrote: March 28, 2020, 3:12 pm Mitchell Aubusson

Just one of those guys that will always do a job, and you can name him 1-17 and he'll perform

I reckon Thompson is a better player in his best 2 positions tbh.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

greeneyed wrote:I'll play... Jarrod Croker.
Predictable

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

julian87 wrote:
-TW- wrote: March 28, 2020, 3:12 pm Mitchell Aubusson

I reckon Thompson is a better player in his best 2 positions tbh.
For sure, I more went on based on reliability and utility value

zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Kyle Feldt
Cameron McInnes
Kotoni Staggs
Mitchell Moses

Are all good players that haven't hit origin or the top country teams. Moses and Staggs in the best form at the moment. Staggs would perform well in origin. Moses could go either way. McInnes was carrying the dragons before he got injured.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

BJ would one of the names that comes to my mind
His brain snaps are the reason he wont ever play rep footy, but there is absolutely no question in my mind that if every centre in the league lined up and played their PEAK 80 minutes of footy, the only player who could match him for his ability to be impactful and damaging is Latrell Mitchell

Beej at his best is the second best centre in the world

Joel Thompson is a good shout. If there is a statute of limitations Mitchell Pearce is worth a nomination, failed at origin level but no question he's a very, VERY good club halfback and helps his team win
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

If it weren't for Cam Smith, Friend would have a decade of Origin under his belt.

First players that came to mind when I read the title were Croker, Leilua and Fensom when he was at his best

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I would have loved to see Ryan James at his best, rip into SOO. You just know he would have gone a bit mental in that arena.

Of the current batch, Staggs is ready. BJ and Croker unlucky when you consider James Roberts has played 3 origin games and Dugan a couple in the centres.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

At his peak, Jake Granville was an outstanding dummy half. Blake Green generally tries his guts out for the Warriors, but is past his prime too. At the other end of the scale, I think Daniel Alvaro was just about to his his peak this season for the Eels.

Joey Leilua goes alright if you don't count his 14 tests for Samoa.

From last season, I was going to suggest Matt Prior, but I completely forgot he played one Origin for NSW in 2018. Very under-rated front rower.

Feldt is a good one. Similar category to Croker. Very reliable, wouldn't let you down, but lacks that x factor that gets you rep jerseys.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Alvaro wasn’t making first grade rounds 1 and 2.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Aubo vs Joel Thompson.

I’m going with Aubusson.

JT lacks physical impact. He gets belted at club level, I couldn’t have him in my NSW team.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

julian87 wrote: April 1, 2020, 7:18 am Alvaro wasn’t making first grade rounds 1 and 2.
Don't care. There is no way Campbell-Gillard should be in that team over him, let alone Evans or bloody Terepo - all of who have played international footy.

I'd love him in our team.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Botman wrote: March 28, 2020, 8:34 pm BJ would one of the names that comes to my mind
His brain snaps are the reason he wont ever play rep footy, but there is absolutely no question in my mind that if every centre in the league lined up and played their PEAK 80 minutes of footy, the only player who could match him for his ability to be impactful and damaging is Latrell Mitchell

Beej at his best is the second best centre in the world

Joel Thompson is a good shout. If there is a statute of limitations Mitchell Pearce is worth a nomination, failed at origin level but no question he's a very, VERY good club halfback and helps his team win
Something that is constantly overlooked and ignored, simply because how prominent his shortcomings at rep level have been. I would have been absolutely stoked if we managed to sign him at any point in the last decade (wouldn't mind even now tbh).