Rugby League 2020

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: Rugby League 2020

Post by -PJ- »

The Qld Cup has been suspended with the NSW Cup to follow I'm hearing..

What does this decision do to the NRL ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

-PJ- wrote: March 18, 2020, 9:59 am The Qld Cup has been suspended with the NSW Cup to follow I'm hearing..

What does this decision do to the NRL ?
The main issue is that the fringe players are getting no football. The NRL had already taken the decision that NRL games would be stand alone as a health measure.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

I just stumbled across this while YouTubing.

I don’t really understand what I’m watching. Why aren’t they tackling the Fullback?
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Looks like the kicker has to run them onside.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

correct, the original downtown rule.

Basically they'd attempt to drive the opposition fullback into a worse position or mistake

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

https://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2020/04/2 ... w-in-july/

Interested what the motive behind canning NSW and Q cup so early was

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

V’landys’ war on wrestle has interchange as next victim

Post by greeneyed »

V’landys’ war on wrestle has interchange as next victim

ARLC chairman Peter V’landys is hellbent on eradicating wrestle from the NRL and plans to reduce interchange as early as next year. The current interchange cap is eight per team, per game, but V’landys plans to reduce that in 2021, most likely to six interchanges.

“We are in the entertainment business and the very loud message I got from the broadcasters is that we are not as entertaining as we once were. And that is because of the wrestle and not as much fatigue.”

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 667324838d
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Re: V’landys’ war on wrestle has interchange as next victim

Post by BadnMean »

Loving the cut of Vlandys' jib.
BJ
Steve Walters

Re: V’landys’ war on wrestle has interchange as next victim

Post by BJ »

The NRL simply doesn’t reward exciting play and hasn’t for a decade and a half. Raiders 2016 were all out, high risk, ball movement attacking football.

The refs on the other hand rewarded the Sharks and Storm approach with their wrestling and endless boring block plays in attack.

Rewatch the Raiders Sharks and Storm Raiders semifinals for clear examples.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Everyone claims they love suburban rugby league, but the crowd numbers tell a very different story

Traditionalists yearn for a return to the halcyon days of their childhood. But the statistics reveal an alarming trend, as all eight currently used boutique grounds fill the bottom eight crowd average rankings. The cherished stadiums do not attract crowds large enough to justify an increase in game allocations, nor government funding for upgrades.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... e2dac9b5b4
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

greeneyed wrote: May 19, 2020, 11:45 am Everyone claims they love suburban rugby league, but the crowd numbers tell a very different story

Traditionalists yearn for a return to the halcyon days of their childhood. But the statistics reveal an alarming trend, as all eight currently used boutique grounds fill the bottom eight crowd average rankings. The cherished stadiums do not attract crowds large enough to justify an increase in game allocations, nor government funding for upgrades.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... e2dac9b5b4
I do agree with this... but one of the issues for Sydney is it has a very different geography and a much poorer transport infrastructure than Melbourne. Melbourne is flat and radiates around the CBD. All the rail and tram networks etc funnel into the CBD. Sydney has a huge harbour and varied topography. It is pretty difficult building transport infrastructure as a result. Just getting off the north shore is very difficult, as the geography limits the possible transport links. It is no wonder Sea Eagles fans don't travel, and no one want to travel there. The physical size of Sydney is bigger than Melbourne and the population density is lower. Both make transport more difficult.

Melbourne's strategy of just two stadiums in the middle of the city just won't work in Sydney. But there's no doubt, there needs to be more centralisation of stadiums in Sydney, than the long list of suburban grounds presently used... and they need to be served by great transport infrastructure... and in a location people want to go to (which is what Homebush suffers from). Bottom line is, Sydney needs to follow the Western Sydney Stadium model. Smaller grounds in "regional" hubs within the city.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Seven News reporting that three houses in Sydney were raided this morning in connection with this...

Police asked to investigate suspicious betting on Coach of Year award: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/police ... 9e7d8bb0d4
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I'm really quite surprised that there has been no mention on the GH of Paul Gallen's wonderful gesture to come out of retirement to help out the embattled Warriors. What a great gesture from a top bloke who puts the good of the game above his own ego! Maybe Billy Slater will do the same... but to help out that other battling side, the Melbourne Storm.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

McCulloch has apparently been released by the Broncs, and signed with the Knights

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:McCulloch has apparently been released by the Broncs, and signed with the Knights

Broncos gearing up for a major Hooker signing.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

I feel like a lot of these recent signings like McCulloch and Murchie were due to be done closer to the June 30 deadline if it weren't for this season intermission.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL forced to prepare for 10-team reality after six clubs ‘nearly went broke’

Six NRL clubs were in danger of going broke and being lost to the game at the height of the coronavirus pandemic, due to the game’s dire financial position.

“When I used the word catastrophic I was thinking this was bad enough to send five or six clubs broke’” Peter V’landys said. “What if we’d had to go to a 10-team comp? I was horrified to even think about it.”

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... f59bdb621c

“Racing has proven that you can continue on and if I had my time again, quite frankly, we wouldn’t have stopped the rugby league.” - Peter V’landys. Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... f59bdb621c
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

BJ wrote: May 21, 2020, 3:56 pm
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:McCulloch has apparently been released by the Broncs, and signed with the Knights

Cameron Smith>Donkeys

10yr deal with an extra 3 in Cameron's favour.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

-PJ- wrote: May 22, 2020, 3:09 pm
BJ wrote: May 21, 2020, 3:56 pm

Cameron Smith>Donkeys

10yr deal with an extra 3 in Cameron's favour.
And he will do it for the love of the game, with a contract of $250k a year. Just wants to go back to qld.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

greeneyed wrote:NRL forced to prepare for 10-team reality after six clubs ‘nearly went broke’

Six NRL clubs were in danger of going broke and being lost to the game at the height of the coronavirus pandemic, due to the game’s dire financial position.

“When I used the word catastrophic I was thinking this was bad enough to send five or six clubs broke’” Peter V’landys said. “What if we’d had to go to a 10-team comp? I was horrified to even think about it.”

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... f59bdb621c

“Racing has proven that you can continue on and if I had my time again, quite frankly, we wouldn’t have stopped the rugby league.” - Peter V’landys. Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... f59bdb621c
6 teams huh? So it makes perfect sense to continue to have those same teams, which are always on FTA, which are not in financial trouble on FTA for the rest of the year?

-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Gordy has tipped the Titans to finish 9th.. :hmmm

I think his pilot light has gone out..
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I've always admired his passion, toughness and leadership, but not much else.

-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

So..

You've got pot plants that are smarter ?
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Not quite.

Almost pulled the trigger on a Warriors membership this arvo. I'll think on it over the next few days. They start at 20 bucks.

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I got a $20 one, I didn't want any of the garb that comes with the more expensive ones, but it's a good way to show support for them

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

-TW- wrote:I got a $20 one, I didn't want any of the garb that comes with the more expensive ones, but it's a good way to show support for them

I might go for the $35 one and get a cap. Can never have too many caps.

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: March 29, 2020, 6:05 pm I just stumbled across this while YouTubing.

I don’t really understand what I’m watching. Why aren’t they tackling the Fullback?
They are offside- no time to get back onside between kicks.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL theme rounds confirmed

The NRL put the finishing touches on the revised NRL Telstra Premiership today, confirming the resumption of Themed Rounds for season 2020.

The NRL Themed Rounds will once again deliver memorable moments, funds and talking points which can positively impact the broader community. They showcase the very best of rugby league and why it is more than just a game.

In 2020, the NRL Themed Rounds will be:

Round 6 (18th – 21st June) – Mark Hughes Foundation Beanie for Brain Cancer Round. Beanies will be sold online from June 1 in support of the Foundation which raises funds for research, and supports brain cancer patients and their families.
Round 12 (30th July – 2nd Aug) – Indigenous Round, to celebrate and recognise the role the Indigenous community plays in our game.
Round 19 (17th – 20th Sept) – Harvey Norman Women in League Round. Now in its 14th year, this round acknowledges and celebrates the role women play at all levels of the game.
In addition, the traditional Anzac Day Match between the Dragons and the Roosters will now be played on Thursday August 6 (in Round 13) – the anniversary of the Battle of Lone Pine.

NRL Acting CEO Andrew Abdo said each round is unique and significant, encouraging fans to show their support during the respective rounds however they can.

“Despite the new parameters we find ourselves working in, it is vital these rounds go ahead because of what they mean to the game and the community,” Mr Abdo said.

“They make an unquestionable difference to so many people’s lives and provide the game with a wonderful platform to educate, unite and inspire both current and future generations about community, respect and equality.”

“We’re asking everyone to support these rounds, who and what they represent, in whatever way they can in 2020.”

NRL media release
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Does anyone know if NRL players have to do more social distancing than normal people?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

BJ wrote: May 28, 2020, 1:27 pm Does anyone know if NRL players have to do more social distancing than normal people?
They have stricter rules as best I can understand it from media reports... they're not supposed to visit other households, their living arrangements have to be approved, they're supposed to avoid even going to the supermarket. They're pretty much supposed to go to training and then go home.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

This made me laugh

Nickman's love of NSW
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NSW Premier’s shock Homebush decision puts NRL grand final in doubt

Stadium Australia’s proposed $810 million revamp is set to be scrapped owing to the coronavirus crisis – and it could have huge ramifications for the NRL. The Daily Telegraph reports that Premier Gladys Berejiklian has ditched the project, which would have seen Homebush become a 70,000-seat venue.

Berejiklian agreed to a 27-year deal with the NRL last year, which would have kept the grand final in NSW until the end of 2047. However, this means the NRL could explore taking the grand final to other major cities.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 19cd37421a
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Second Brisbane team could enter NRL by 2022 as V’landys aims to ‘dominate Queensland’

Brisbane could have its second NRL team by 2022, with the ARL Commission set to consider adding a 17th team to the competition in less than two years’ time.

There are reportedly four bids on the table to become Brisbane’s second team, with Queensland Cup sides Ipswich, Redcliffe and Easts, along with the Brisbane Bombers outfit likely to put forward proposals.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 1be3969222
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL's ultimatum: Four new suburban stadiums or grand final will go

The NRL will meet the NSW government this week armed with the threat of moving the grand final away from Sydney if the state doesn't deliver up to four boutique suburban stadiums over the next decade. The NRL will now lobby for up to four 15,000-20,000 seat stadiums worth around $150m-$200m each.... at Penrith (Panthers), Campbelltown (Tigers), Manly (Sea Eagles) and southern Sydney (Dragons, Sharks, Bulldogs).

Teams like the Bulldogs, Tigers and Rabbitohs would also have the option of playing at the new Moore Park stadium or the Western Sydney Stadium. The Eels are, of course, based at Western Sydney Stadium, while the Roosters will play at Moore Park.

Read more: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-s- ... 54y3z.html
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Kangaroo tour cancelled but 2022 option now being explored

A Kangaroo tour in 2022 has been proposed after the cancellation of this year’s three-Test series against England due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The RFL and the ARLC remain committed to the revival of Ashes series contests, which began in 1908 and have been played 39 times.

With the World Cup in England in 2021, discussions have already been opened on the potential for the Kangaroos returning for a three-Test Ashes series, possibly as soon as 2022.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/06/01/kan ... -explored/