Rugby League 2020

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Re: Rugby League 2020

Post by Dr Zaius »

greeneyed wrote:NRL's ultimatum: Four new suburban stadiums or grand final will go

The NRL will meet the NSW government this week armed with the threat of moving the grand final away from Sydney if the state doesn't deliver up to four boutique suburban stadiums over the next decade. The NRL will now lobby for up to four 15,000-20,000 seat stadiums worth around $150m-$200m each.... at Penrith (Panthers), Campbelltown (Tigers), Manly (Sea Eagles) and southern Sydney (Dragons, Sharks, Bulldogs).

Teams like the Bulldogs, Tigers and Rabbitohs would also have the option of playing at the new Moore Park stadium or the Western Sydney Stadium. The Eels are, of course, based at Western Sydney Stadium, while the Roosters will play at Moore Park.

Read more: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-s- ... 54y3z.html
Be nice if he applied some pressure to the ACT Government

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

15000 to 20000 doesn't make sense to me. I think 30000 should be the ideal size.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gergreg wrote:15000 to 20000 doesn't make sense to me. I think 30000 should be the ideal size.

At least 20-25,000. Why spend so much for a tiny stadium?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

greeneyed wrote:
gergreg wrote:15000 to 20000 doesn't make sense to me. I think 30000 should be the ideal size.

At least 20-25,000. Why spend so much for a tiny stadium?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
AFAIK all those stadiums they are proposing to replace can seat about 15k and they sell out when the home team is playing well and playing against a good opponent. They are probably all due for an upgrade but increase the capacity.

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

There's a sniff going around that Shane Flanagans ban could be lifted if/when Mary gets the punt.

Now..that's disgusting.

Foxsports are reporting an application could be lodged to lift Flanagans ban through the NRL..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL refuses to blame six-again for average 18-point blowout

It may have been the second most lopsided round of action in 18 months, but the NRL insists it is too early to blame the routs on their radical six-again rule.

Since the controversial introduction of the new rule, teams have won by an average of a whopping 18 points per game over the past two rounds.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 081a61b2d1
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL pressing for return of full crowds by August

Tens of thousands of NRL fans could flood through the gates again in less than two months as part of a bold plan to remove crowd lockouts by August. Australian Rugby League Commission chairman Peter V’landys is aiming to allow full crowds to attend NRL games from August 1.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... df3ca07673
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Doubt it but we'll see

No locally acquired cases today and only 440odd active.. Could happen.

Things are relaxing far quicker than first thought

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

greeneyed wrote:NRL refuses to blame six-again for average 18-point blowout

It may have been the second most lopsided round of action in 18 months, but the NRL insists it is too early to blame the routs on their radical six-again rule.

Since the controversial introduction of the new rule, teams have won by an average of a whopping 18 points per game over the past two rounds.

a lot harder for the refs to stage tight games with the current scrutiny and V'Landys integrity background

Edrick The Entertainer
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

bonehead wrote:
greeneyed wrote:NRL refuses to blame six-again for average 18-point blowout

a lot harder for the refs to stage tight games with the current scrutiny and V'Landys integrity background

Spot on Bonehead. Those evenups after a team shot out to a lead were always questionable.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Isaac Luke > Broncos
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Danny Weidler reporting Isaac Moses has had his manager accreditation cancelled
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: June 16, 2020, 7:07 pm Danny Weidler reporting Isaac Moses has had his manager accreditation cancelled
NRL statement on Isaac Moses: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/06/16/nrl ... aac-moses/
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

From 2017? Impressively swift investigation.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Victorian NRL fans banned from NSW games after COVID-19 spike

Victorian NRL fans will be banned from attending games in NSW, NSW health minister Brad Hazzard says. Hazzard says only non-Victorians will be allowed into stadiums in NSW, amid concerns over the spike in coronavirus cases in Victoria.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... ae5e955ff4
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

One for you GE.

Home truth for refs: Study shows huge penalty swing to away teams while crowds absent: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/home-t ... 559jo.html,
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Dr Zaius wrote: July 7, 2020, 8:00 pm One for you GE.

Home truth for refs: Study shows huge penalty swing to away teams while crowds absent: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/home-t ... 559jo.html,
And yet I was hounded and derided for expressing the view.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Rugby League 2020

Post by gangrenous »

Seems a pretty clear problem drawing that conclusion from that study. Which is that with no crowds you expect even treatment yet there’s a large difference in favour of away teams. The difference is similar in magnitude to the advantage of home teams last year. So from just the two data points you’d have to think it’s in the realm of random fluctuation.

I mean, I’d wager the conclusion is spot on, and the data is suggestive of it. But not very statistically convincing. Be easy to prove though - take the penalty counts across the last 10 years individually and you’d probably see them all in favour of home. Then the one in favour of away this year would be a convincing anomaly.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gangrenous wrote: July 8, 2020, 12:02 am Seems a pretty clear problem drawing that conclusion from that study. Which is that with no crowds you expect even treatment yet there’s a large difference in favour of away teams. The difference is similar in magnitude to the advantage of home teams last year. So from just the two data points you’d have to think it’s in the realm of random fluctuation.

I mean, I’d wager the conclusion is spot on, and the data is suggestive of it. But not very statistically convincing. Be easy to prove though - take the penalty counts across the last 10 years individually and you’d probably see them all in favour of home. Then the one in favour of away this year would be a convincing anomaly.
Except there are many studies in international sport which indicate unrecognised bias in favour of home teams.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I’m not sure what part of my post you’re arguing with GE?

I am completely on board with that. But the evidence presented in the newspaper article (which possibly doesn’t accurately reflect the original paper), is insufficient to draw the conclusion that they have.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Jayden Okunbor and Corey Harawira-Naera statement

The NRL Appeals Committee today issued its decision in respect of appeals brought by Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs players Jayden Okunbor and Corey Harawira-Naera.

Mr Okunbor and Mr Harawira-Naera’s registrations as NRL Players were cancelled on 1 April following a finding of serious breaches of the league’s Code of Conduct in the lead-up to a trial match in Port Macquarie in February 2020.

Whilst confirming the seriousness of the breaches, the Appeals Committee varied the NRL’s determination to cancel each player’s registration and imposed alternate sanctions, being:

Mr Okunbor to be suspended for 14 Matches, pay a fine of $22,500 and undergo such course of counselling or community service as the NRL CEO may direct;

Mr Harawira-Naera to be suspended for 10 Matches and to pay a fine of $15,000.

“The NRL took the action which it considered necessary given the serious breaches of the Code of Conduct – breaches the Appeals Committee also found to be serious,” said NRL Acting CEO Andrew Abdo.

“The independent appeals committee has taken a different view on what penalty the players should face and although we are disappointed, we respect the outcome.”

NRL media release
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

so do they rejoin the dogs or were contracts torn up?

Edrick The Entertainer
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

According to Brent Read

Nickman's love of NSW
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

cheers Fui

Edrick The Entertainer
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

No worries, some more. Wonder who he’s suggesting

Pt 1

Nickman's love of NSW
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Pt 2Image

Nickman's love of NSW
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Pay supposedly quitting so the dogs can sign Trent Barrett

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Fonua-Blake to miss third straight game due to flu vaccination refusal

Manly prop Addin Fonua-Blake is set to miss a third straight match on top of his two-game suspension due to his refusal to have a flu vaccination.

Sea Eagles coach Des Hasler confirmed on Friday that the Tongan international was still yet to have the vaccination, which is part of the NRL's biosecurity measures brought in when the ARL Commission restarted the Telstra Premiership in May due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/07/17/fon ... n-refusal/

Our boys that won't take the jab... Papa and Soliola. Really going to miss paps for round 11.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

NRL have announced that the GF will be played at WSS.

I'm not sure why not at Homebush given that the refurb isn't going ahead. What's the cap on numbers there? I guess if it's 10,000 there would be no atmosphere.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Dr Zaius wrote: August 14, 2020, 11:32 am NRL have announced that the GF will be played at WSS.

I'm not sure why not at Homebush given that the refurb isn't going ahead. What's the cap on numbers there? I guess if it's 10,000 there would be no atmosphere.
Got a story link? I can't find one. Madness if correct... unless no crowds were permitted or only a very low number were permitted.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

greeneyed wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: August 14, 2020, 11:32 am NRL have announced that the GF will be played at WSS.

Got a story link? I can't find one. Madness if correct... unless no crowds were permitted or only a very low number were permitted.
Sorry mate, I saw it on ABC News (TV)
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL announces harsher penalties for crusher tackles

The Australian Rugby League Commission (ARLC) has approved changes to the NRL Judiciary Code which will ensure harsher penalties for "Crusher" tackles.

As part of the changes, a separate "Crusher Tackle" charge has been added with immediate effect to the NRL Judiciary Code of Procedure.

The base penalties for Crusher Tackles will now be as follows:

Grade One – 200 points
Grade Two – 350 points
Grade Three – 500 points

Charges considered to be more serious than Grade Three will be referred directly to the Judiciary for determination.

Previously, crusher tackles had been positioned under the Dangerous Contact – Head/Neck charge, with lower Grade One (100 points) and Grade Two (300 points) base penalties.

NRL Head of Football – Elite Competitions Graham Annesley said there had been 18 Dangerous Contact – Head/Neck charges for crusher-style tackles so far this season, with many Grade One offences not resulting in a suspension.

"We have seen a concerning increase in the Crusher-type tackles in recent years and the Commission has approved stronger deterrents to reverse this trend," Mr Annesley said.

"Crusher tackles are dangerous and carry with them the real potential for catastrophic consequences to the tackled player.

"Despite the charges and warnings previously imposed, we have not seen a decline in offences, so it has become clear that the penalties we had in place were not sufficient.

"While we never want to see players suspended and would much prefer the offences do not occur, we have a responsibility to strike the right balance between deterrence and punishment.

"This is a serious player safety issue and the changes are supported by the Rugby League Players Association."

RLPA Chief Executive Clint Newton said: "It is important that we continue to raise awareness across the playing group about the potential consequences of crusher style tackles.

"We are supportive of the proposal as we believe it will help in achieving this, however any change endorsed by the Commission should also be supported by further data analysis and education programs for players and coaching staff."

The changes will be in place for Round 15 of the NRL Telstra Premiership.

NRL media release
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I'm not sure there has actually been an increase. The refs are just more readily penalising it and as a result more players are milking it.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL hopeful NSW government will allow 50,000 fans into grand final

With the grand final just nine weeks away, the NRL is full steam ahead in planning for what’s expected to be a very different looking premiership decider. The governing body has started discussions with the NSW government about easing restrictions to allow 50,000 fans attend the grand final at Stadium Australia.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 4b71d17d22
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

High praise from V'landys as Abdo installed as NRL CEO

Andrew Abdo has been elevated from acting CEO to filling the role on a permanent basis after getting the nod from the ARL Commission. ARL chairman Peter V'landys on Thursday announced Abdo would take over after operating as acting CEO since Todd Greenberg stepped down in April.

"Andrew will probably be the best CEO we've ever had," V'landys said in announcing the decision.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/09/03/hig ... s-nrl-ceo/

PRESS CONFERENCE: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/09/03/med ... drew-abdo/

Andrew Abdo appointed NRL CEO

The Australian Rugby League Commission (ARLC) today appointed Andrew Abdo as Chief Executive Officer of the National Rugby League (NRL).

Mr Abdo, who was appointed Interim CEO in April, joined the NRL in 2013 and most recently served as Chief Commercial Officer.

ARLC Chairman Peter V’landys AM said Mr Abdo had impressed the Commission with the way he has guided the game through the COVID-19 Pandemic and driving the NRL’s commercial growth in previous years.

“Andrew has done an outstanding job as Interim CEO. The Commission could not be happier with his work ethic and the way he has led the game through the pandemic. There’s no better person to take rugby league in a new innovative direction,’’ he said.

Mr V’landys said Mr Abdo’s ability to bring new revenue to the game in recent years would be vital as the Commission looks to secure the code’s long-term financial future.

“Andrew has one of the best commercial brains in Australian sport. He has been the one who has brought in the majority of our new non broadcast revenues. Prior to the pandemic our revenues had increased by 15 per cent, year on year, for the past four years and that was down to Andrew and his team.

“Andrew’s commercial and financial background is the perfect skillset for the game’s needs moving forward. We are re-setting our cost base and we need to make smart investments to set the game up for future generations. Andrew thinks outside the square and will look at ways to do things differently. Andrew also possesses a cool and calm temperament which is a vital asset with the many pressures of our great game.”

South African born and raised, Mr Abdo, 43, is a chartered accountant who worked for Deloitte in Johannesburg, Bermuda and Sydney before he joined the NRL.

“It’s an honour to be appointed CEO of the NRL. I want to thank the Commission for their support and setting the strategic direction to lead the game through the COVID-19 Pandemic. In particular, I want to thank Peter for his leadership and guidance. I’ve learnt so much from him and will continue to. The game is very lucky to have Peter as our Chairman,’’ he said.

Mr Abdo said he was looking forward to transforming the way the NRL functions.

“I’m looking forward to working with the Commission and all of our shareholders on creating a new era for rugby league where we think differently. We must stabilise, renovate and grow. In the short term we need to reset our cost base and ensure we retain our revenues. Then we must think innovatively about enhancing our game and ultimately seeking long term growth.”

Mr Abdo said rugby league had set the foundation for his relationships since he moved to Australia in 2012.

“I’ve been passionate about sport my entire life. When my wife and I decided to move to Australia it was rugby league that helped create our networks. Almost all of my friends and business relationships have come from rugby league,’’ he said.

Mr Abdo thanked all NRL Clubs, States and players for their support since he was appointed Interim CEO.

“What has impressed me the most during this pandemic is how the game has come together. Almost every week we have faced a new obstacle, but together we have found a way through to ensure the Telstra Premiership has not only continued but led the way in Australian sport. If we can continue that teamwork post COVID there is no limit to what we can achieve.”

NRL media release