New Zealand Warriors 2020

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

New Zealand Warriors 2020

Post by greeneyed »

NRL.com's predicted Warriors round 1 team

1. Roger Tuivasa-Sheck
2. David Fusitu'a
3. Patrick Herbert
4. Peta Hiku
5. Ken Maumalo
6. Kodi Nikorima
7. Blake Green
8. Agnatius Paasi
9. Wayde Egan
10. Leeson Ah Mau
11. Adam Blair
12. Tohu Harris
13. Jazz Tevaga

14. Isaiah Papali'i
15. Lachlan Burr
16. Bunty Afoa
17. Chanel Harris-Tavita

Others: Gerard Beale, Sam Lisone, Josh Curran, Jackson Frei, Eliesa Katoa, Adam Keighran, Karl Lawton, Taane Milne, Hayze Perham, Adam Pompey, Leivaha Pulu, Nathaniel Roache

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/12/24/new ... cted-team/
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Re: New Zealand Warriors 2020

Post by Seiffert82 »

6,7,9. Sort it out...seriously.

This club should be a powerhouse of the NRL every single season. Surely they can put together a better spine than this.
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

I'm tipping a typical Warriors season. Glimpses of promise ending with disappointment.

Bottom 4
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Only one nrl quality edge forward in the entire squad, bugger all decent props and about 10 average lock's, terrible squad management.
Will need unknowns to stand up to be any real chance, not a good situation to be in
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Coach Stephen Kearney sacked by New Zealand Warriors, to be replaced by Todd Payten

The New Zealand Warriors have sacked coach Stephen Kearney with two years remaining on his contract. He is expected to be replaced by assistant coach Todd Payten for the remainder of the season.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... eac8247341

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/06/20/war ... vy-defeat/

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... ef20197cf7
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

How many times has he been canned ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

-PJ- wrote: June 20, 2020, 4:09 pm How many times has he been canned ?
Twice.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

greeneyed wrote: June 20, 2020, 4:16 pm
-PJ- wrote: June 20, 2020, 4:09 pm How many times has he been canned ?
Twice.
Surely that's it for Kearney..
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Kearney has been sacked.

Edit whoops. A bit slow on the trigger there.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

The club are a joke.

They are already a shambles and decide to sign a tried, tested and failed coach. He boots Shaun Johnson, signs Adam Blair for a big long term deal etc... honestly the club get the results they deserve
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Under the current circumstances this decision is a little tough on SKearney I reckon..

The Warriors aren't going to go on a winning streak any time soon and Todd Payten isn't going to turn things around while they're based in Australia during these times..
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Kearney is a terrible coach. So I can understand their decision. But in true Warriors style they have chosen a terrible moment to sack him and bring someone else in.

They new coach starts his tenure with no home games, a dud squad on an endless road trip and on a hiding to nothing. Set up to fail.

No-one would have faulted them letting Kearney stay a bit longer, see his team through a crisis and they'd both then be able to part ways with some dignity intact. They didn't sack the coach during an uncontrollable crisis and he stuck it out with the team...
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

yeh raiders wrote: June 20, 2020, 5:44 pm The club are a joke.

They are already a shambles and decide to sign a tried, tested and failed coach. He boots Shaun Johnson, signs Adam Blair for a big long term deal etc... honestly the club get the results they deserve
Kearney was apparently fuming over Johnson's exit, rumour is it was the work of Brian Smith and George to force him out.

Kearneys not the answer, the decision to sack him is probably the right one but I'm just not sure of the timing, I would have given him until at least the half way mark of the season before moving him on. Hes got some massive question mark's over his ability to coach but prior to Johnson exiting the club on the eve of the 2019 season the warriors did finish just 2 points from the minor premiership in 2018
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Paul Green will probably be the next coach looking for a new job. The cowboys have been rubbish ever since
Thurston started to go downhill
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

kiwi raider wrote: June 20, 2020, 6:42 pm Paul Green will probably be the next coach looking for a new job. The cowboys have been rubbish ever since
Cronulla apparently want him.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

To warm a seat for Flanagan for a year?
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

greeneyed wrote: June 20, 2020, 7:16 pm
kiwi raider wrote: June 20, 2020, 6:42 pm Paul Green will probably be the next coach looking for a new job. The cowboys have been rubbish ever since
Cronulla apparently want him.
I think the guy can coach and probably just needs a change of scenery but provided they miss the 8 this year which imo is more certain than not it'd be a big punt for Cronulla to hire a coach who's missed the 8 3 years running
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Kearney is the worst ever coach I’ve seen in the NRL. It’s a harsh time to get canned but it was ridiculous he got the job to start with let alone hold the position for so long.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

My "rule" is forwards don't make good coaches.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

greeneyed wrote:My "rule" is forwards don't make good coaches.
That’s interesting. I don’t disagree with that, but it’s inspiring me to do some digging. Phil Gould, Sheens and Robbo come to mind as exceptions. I’m going to start running numbers on which position has the best coaching record.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: June 20, 2020, 8:47 pm
That’s interesting. I don’t disagree with that, but it’s inspiring me to do some digging. Phil Gould, Sheens and Robbo come to mind as exceptions. I’m going to start running numbers on which position has the best coaching record.
Jack Gibson.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

There are exceptions to the "rule" of course, which is why I used the quotations marks. And there can be reasons... for example, Phil Gould was a forward, but operated as a play maker. I think the play makers generally become the best coaches. I knew Trent Robinson and Tim Sheens would come up as examples... but they it is interesting that neither were regarded as great players. Robinson barely played a first grade game.

I'm looking forward to the statistical analysis!
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

greeneyed wrote: June 20, 2020, 9:08 pm
There are exceptions to the "rule" of course, which is why I used the quotations marks. And there can be reasons... for example, Phil Gould was a forward, but operated as a play maker. I think the play makers generally become the best coaches. I knew Trent Robinson and Tim Sheens would come up as examples... but they it is interesting that neither were regarded as great players. Robinson barely played a first grade game.

What constitutes a good coach can be subjective. Hard to do a statistical analysis when that's your benchmark.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Northern Raider wrote: June 20, 2020, 9:22 pm

What constitutes a good coach can be subjective. Hard to do a statistical analysis when that's your benchmark.
You could run some statistical analyses which look at winning percentages, finals, premiership wins or other indicators, even ones based on subjective opinion like Coach of the Year. The other variable is... how many first grade and or representative games were played by the coach. Backs with plenty of representative games will come out on top IMO... and play makers more specifically.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

kiwi raider wrote:
yeh raiders wrote: June 20, 2020, 5:44 pm The club are a joke.

Kearney was apparently fuming over Johnson's exit, rumour is it was the work of Brian Smith and George to force him out.

Kearneys not the answer, the decision to sack him is probably the right one but I'm just not sure of the timing, I would have given him until at least the half way mark of the season before moving him on. Hes got some massive question mark's over his ability to coach but prior to Johnson exiting the club on the eve of the 2019 season the warriors did finish just 2 points from the minor premiership in 2018
Getting rid of Johnson was a good idea. They should have punted Kearney at the same time. They assembled a pretty decent squad for him and they really are an embarrassment, the Warriors used to be a brilliant team to watch but Kearney has brought that **** negative, grinding Storm style with him. He did the same at Parramatta and it failed miserably, but then doubled down on it at the Warriors.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

greeneyed wrote:
Northern Raider wrote: June 20, 2020, 9:22 pm

You could run some statistical analyses which look at winning percentages, finals, premiership wins or other indicators, even ones based on subjective opinion like Coach of the Year. The other variable is... how many first grade and or representative games were played by the coach. Backs with plenty of representative games will come out on top IMO... and play makers more specifically.
Yeah I was going to just go through the GF winning teams, and see what position the coach played, but I don’t think that’s accurate, because that just shows success over a single season.

So I’m thinking I’ll start with Rugby League Project, get the data from every coach through their career, work through the position they played, and see what I see.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

greeneyed wrote: June 20, 2020, 8:25 pm My "rule" is forwards don't make good coaches.
That's a bit too simple a rule IMO.

Where a player plays in rugby league is generally beyond their control. It's what their body dictates. Some of the great forwards would have been the great halves if they weren't so huge. Blokes like Beetson and Reilly are the obvious ones. They also had great post-playing careers in the game. Though you can look at some ex-player coaches and think what you've just mentioned. Those old hard nosed forwards like Kearney and Pay etc just don't seem suited to landing a head coaching gig.

The greatest minds in sport are often not the best players. When you combine the 2 it is generally an absolute champion of whatever sport it is you're talking about. I often compare league coaches to cricket captains. The obvious choice (stongest ex player in league or the strongest player in cricket) is rarely the right one. Very few of the truly great cricket captains were the most talented player on their team and I think the same can be said for rugby league coaches when you look at their playing careers. I think that also lends to why so many of the really successful modern coaches are ex reserve graders or fringe first graders. They obviously loved the game after it not really giving them a career financially and had to prove they knew their stuff, learn, grow and share their knowledge of the game rather than rely on their on-field career for post-career work. Maguire, Bellamy, Siebold are examples. This is definitely not a 'rule' but besides Stuart not many huge name players have lasted in the game as a coach for some time. Kevin Walters has been trying to land a full-time gig for a decade but it hasn't stuck. Actually him and Daley are good examples of absolute maestro minds on the field but definitely not the same off it imo.

I also think that the game becoming truly professional in the 90s led to many a player scrambling for the rugby league teet to feed off for life. It's 100% a fair enough thing as so many of them have nothing else behind them. It leads to a plethora of ex-players involved in the game (be it in media, coaching or administration) that don't care for it or lack the passion but they get paid. I reckon there have been a few players who'd fit into this who became head coaches tbh.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

I think you’re right Julian. You see it across multiple sports. Generally players who aren’t considered naturally gifted, and have to work harder to push themselves into the run on squad, are your better coaches.

I feel like it would be harder for some coaches because it would make sense in their head, due to being a natural talent. But those who had to push themselves could be better coaches, because they know what’s required to succeed.

Nickman's love of NSW
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: June 21, 2020, 12:00 pm I think you’re right Julian. You see it across multiple sports. Generally players who aren’t considered naturally gifted, and have to work harder to push themselves into the run on squad, are your better coaches.

I feel like it would be harder for some coaches because it would make sense in their head, due to being a natural talent. But those who had to push themselves could be better coaches, because they know what’s required to succeed.
Agreed. Put much more succinctly than myself ha.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Mole is saying on Twitter that Toovey has expressed interest in the Warriors gig

Nickman's love of NSW
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:Mole is saying on Twitter that Toovey has expressed interest in the Warriors gig
that's the guy they need

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

NRL looking at giving Warriors all home games next season to say thanks

Warriors CEO Cameron George will follow up on a report that the NRL are looking at giving the club 24 home games next season. It was mentioned in the Sydney Morning Herald on Monday that as a way of saying thank you to the Warriors for the sacrifices they’ve made this year, an option being floated is letting the team stay in New Zealand for the entire 2021 season.

“It would be interesting to see the NRL and other clubs welcoming us having more home games,” George said.

Read more: https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/wa ... say-thanks

Nickman's love of NSW
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Not a terrible idea but. At least give them home games agains all the teams they play once. Teams they play twice should be approached on a case by case basis. Teams that extra home games this year (e.g. Eels and Tigers) don't have much argument.
Others like the Raiders who had to do extra travel would have a case to get more home games too.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

I'd love it if they were against the broncos in magic round.... in new zealand. Someone make this happen.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

On NRL360, Todd Payten says he's been offered and turned down the head coaching role at the New Zealand Warriors. He says the fact his wife is about to undergo chemotherapy and COVID was a significant factor. He says he's interested in the head coaching job at the North Queensland Cowboys.