Canterbury Bulldogs 2020

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Re: Canterbury Bulldogs 2020

Post by cat »

gergreg wrote: March 10, 2020, 7:04 pm
cat wrote:
gergreg wrote: March 10, 2020, 6:06 pm High school puts them in the 15 to 16 y/o range unless it's a joint high school/college.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
High schools in NSW go up to year 12 which is 17/18yrs

Doesnt matter if this is illegal or not, these guys will have their contracts ripped up, this was all during an official club camp.
Haha. If these were Raiders players you would be backing the players.

Actually no I would be furious and expect them to be sacked there on the spot.
As a teacher the idea that people could come into my school and act in this way is shocking.
Schools have to do a lot of work to allow people to come in and work with our students, we have a bit of a trust relationship with sportspeople and other "celebrities".
We trust these people to help motivate and inspire our students, not "pick them up"
Vaccinated
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

BadnMean wrote: March 10, 2020, 7:31 pm Yeah... if you meet them at the school they go to, you can't really claim you didn't know they were that age...

Picking up girls on a team visit- I guess it isn't criminal but it's astoundingly seedy and unprofessional. They'd be sacked in all kinds of other jobs but I suspect they'll get away with a short suspension and some "education" and rehabilitation type deal. Over to you, ex Bulldog CEO Greenberg.
Yeah it's an unusual one that falls into the inappropriate behaviour category arguably without doing anything specifically wrong. A bit like 'Big Papi' having his sex video leaked.

Of course we don't know the full circumstances so can't really make too much judgement. Bulldogs are calling it a "serious breach" doesn't bode well for them.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

At the end of the day, what they have done may not have been illegal but its vastly different to all the other current and past indiscretions from players.

They were there in full club uniform, representing the club and the NRL, they invited them into the team hotel, paid for by the club.

I will be very surprised if they ever play again, this isnt something they have done on their own time
Vaccinated
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

cat wrote:
gergreg wrote: March 10, 2020, 7:04 pm
cat wrote:
gergreg wrote: March 10, 2020, 6:06 pm High school puts them in the 15 to 16 y/o range unless it's a joint high school/college.

High schools in NSW go up to year 12 which is 17/18yrs

Doesnt matter if this is illegal or not, these guys will have their contracts ripped up, this was all during an official club camp.
Haha. If these were Raiders players you would be backing the players.

Actually no I would be furious and expect them to be sacked there on the spot.
As a teacher the idea that people could come into my school and act in this way is shocking.
Schools have to do a lot of work to allow people to come in and work with our students, we have a bit of a trust relationship with sportspeople and other "celebrities".
We trust these people to help motivate and inspire our students, not "pick them up"
Unfortunately your posting history doesn't back this up. Every time a 'raider' has been in strife you've given them the benefit of the doubt and insisted that we all just wait until all the facts are out in the open.

But on this one you're suggesting the players should never play again.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Interesting to see how far the Dogs take this. The Coffs Harbour incident severely tarnished the club reputation. They may take the moral high ground on this one and come down hard on the players.

Looks like Roosters will add a couple more to their roster this year.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I didn’t realize there was a suggestion that they ‘picked them up’ at a school?
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

julian87 wrote:I didn’t realize there was a suggestion that they ‘picked them up’ at a school?
From what I've read (In the media) they met them at the school and then saw them at the game, well after the game and they went back to the hotel and had consensual sex.

BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Bulldogs better not start doing Primary School visits.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

BJ wrote: March 11, 2020, 7:47 am Bulldogs better not start doing Primary School visits.
On the flip side there's been a surge in requests for them to visit retirement homes.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Northern Raider wrote:
BJ wrote: March 11, 2020, 7:47 am Bulldogs better not start doing Primary School visits.
On the flip side there's been a surge in requests for them to visit retirement homes.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

They were due to announce a new sponsorship this week

reports are now that is over , they pulled out of the deal.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Talk on twitter was that it was a high profile sponsor too

Unrucky

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Riaan
John Ferguson

Post by Riaan »

cat wrote: March 10, 2020, 4:27 pm The fact there are no real rumours with substance ( there is guessing) out is very interesting

I take my hat off to the dogs having no leaks

Also means what ever has happened is not involving the public
:lol: :lol:
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Riaan wrote: March 11, 2020, 10:55 am
cat wrote: March 10, 2020, 4:27 pm The fact there are no real rumours with substance ( there is guessing) out is very interesting

:lol: :lol:
Well that post didn't age well.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Northern Raider wrote:
Riaan wrote: March 11, 2020, 10:55 am

Image Image
Well that post didn't age well.
To be fair a lot of cats posts don't

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Bulldogs star axed over schoolgirl scandal also brought teacher back to team hotel

One of the Bulldogs players stood down from the NRL for having a teenage school girl back at the team hotel also had a sexual encounter with a teacher from one of the local Port Macquarie schools. The teacher involved is not believed to have been from the same high school as the students, but it is understood she met the player on a separate school visit.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 935f60e454
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Considering what I've seen I reckon Okunbor might need to get himself a trade.

While nothing is illegal I reckon the NRL just won't want a bar of it if and when they get hold of the hard copy communication between the players and the students.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Comments in social media are interesting. Of course there are plenty expressing their disgust but there's also quite a lot defending the players. Basically saying the NRL has no right to tell the players who they can have sex with (provided its consentual and legal). I guess you could argue both sides and be very hard to convince the other they are wrong.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Northern Raider wrote:Comments in social media are interesting. Of course there are plenty expressing their disgust but there's also quite a lot defending the players. Basically saying the NRL has no right to tell the players who they can have sex with (provided its consentual and legal). I guess you could argue both sides and be very hard to convince the other they are wrong.
It's really murky IMO. Nothing illegal has occurred. Immoral yes.

It doesn't look good for the players though - a major sponsor has allegedly backed out of a 2 million dollar deal with the Bulldogs and will be interesting to see if other sponsors put any pressure on the NRL. We all say it's a business and the punishments here will be based on damage control.

Interesting also to see the leaks. Any other organisation would investigate it, particularly how often it occurs with the NRL. All it does is negatively affect the code and we see it time and time again. It's why clubs like the Broncos and Raiders (more recently) close ranks and try to control situations more tightly. If you don't the media and social media go into a complete frenzy.

Riaan
John Ferguson

Post by Riaan »

Northern Raider wrote: March 11, 2020, 3:11 pm Comments in social media are interesting. Of course there are plenty expressing their disgust but there's also quite a lot defending the players. Basically saying the NRL has no right to tell the players who they can have sex with (provided its consentual and legal). I guess you could argue both sides and be very hard to convince the other they are wrong.
Nothing murky here. If you went on a work trip to a school and met someone, legal or not and met up with them later to have consensual sex at a hotel your employer is paying for, you would be gone.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Riaan wrote:
Northern Raider wrote: March 11, 2020, 3:11 pm Comments in social media are interesting. Of course there are plenty expressing their disgust but there's also quite a lot defending the players. Basically saying the NRL has no right to tell the players who they can have sex with (provided its consentual and legal). I guess you could argue both sides and be very hard to convince the other they are wrong.
Nothing murky here. If you went on a work trip to a school and met someone, legal or not and met up with them later to have consensual sex at a hotel your employer is paying for, you would be gone.
Unless your employer is the Catholic Church.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

What makes it murky is the complete lack of consistency from the NRL in the past and present. There are convicted felons playing, players that have committed violent crimes. There are players that are currently facing charges in court who are free to play this weekend while others are not. No matter what punishment is dished out to these players there will be fans, nrl and social commentators with diverse opinions and those opinions will be based on precedence and they have any number of previous incidents to draw upon to argue their cause.

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

That doesn’t make it murky. It means that in the past the NRL has done the wrong thing.

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

gangrenous wrote:That doesn’t make it murky. It means that in the past the NRL has done the wrong thing.
And the game has had many 'line in the sand' moments to make amends and haven't done so.

zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

gergreg wrote: March 11, 2020, 5:22 pm What makes it murky is the complete lack of consistency from the NRL in the past and present. There are convicted felons playing, players that have committed violent crimes. There are players that are currently facing charges in court who are free to play this weekend while others are not. No matter what punishment is dished out to these players there will be fans, nrl and social commentators with diverse opinions and those opinions will be based on precedence and they have any number of previous incidents to draw upon to argue their cause.

Yeah it's going to be interesting to see where this falls.
Listening to the radio and checking things out online there still seems to be a big portion of people that don't realise "damage to the reputation of the game" will factor in the punishment.
Surprisingly, well to me at least, there's some argument for no punishment.
You've also got Greenberg on the outer so the decision process may be skewed / delayed.
The drama never ends 😄
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Also, and take this with a grain of salt if you're trying to nail down facts, inside word is the sponsorship will still happen. They're just riding out the storm at the moment and losing 2 mill makes a pretty good headline.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Riaan wrote: March 11, 2020, 4:35 pm
Really? I go away on plenty of trips where works pays for my hotel. Never once have I been quizzed if I had sex with anybody in my room. Reckon the Mrs would be more concerned about it than the office.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

zim wrote: March 11, 2020, 6:39 pm
gergreg wrote: March 11, 2020, 5:22 pm What makes it murky is the complete lack of consistency from the NRL in the past and present. There are convicted felons playing, players that have committed violent crimes. There are players that are currently facing charges in court who are free to play this weekend while others are not. No matter what punishment is dished out to these players there will be fans, nrl and social commentators with diverse opinions and those opinions will be based on precedence and they have any number of previous incidents to draw upon to argue their cause.

Listening to the radio and checking things out online there still seems to be a big portion of people that don't realise "damage to the reputation of the game" will factor in the punishment.
You've also got Greenberg on the outer so the decision process may be skewed / delayed.
The drama never ends 😄
What is really noteable is some people will cry out the rights of these players to screw schoolgirls (whatever age) they met while visiting their school and think that's cool. And that we should all stick out nose out of their business...

But it just lost the Bulldogs a 2 million sponsorship- that's 2 million x however many years they would have done it? and 2 million minimum ongoing cost each year without one/or + reduced value to next sponsor...

How many of these people - whatever the job- could honestly front up to their bosses and say- yeah I rooted the clients school age daughter and it's in the papers and now you are TWO MILLION in contracts down (plus untold reputational damage, for Bulldogs say another 2 mill) and the name of the company you spent 10 years (a lifetime?) building up is destroyed because I don't recognise appropriate professional limits but it's all cool because it's no big deal and we'll just get more big jobs hey boss? Boss?

You don't think I... me? should have to pay any sort of penalty right? You only lost a few million in sponsorships and half potential clients won't touch you but boys will be boys, let's not blow this out of proportion...

Idiots. I can only assume they are unemployed.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

BadnMean wrote: March 11, 2020, 7:02 pm
zim wrote: March 11, 2020, 6:39 pm

The drama never ends 😄
What is really noteable is some people will cry out the rights of these players to screw schoolgirls (whatever age) they met while visiting their school and think that's cool. And that we should all stick out nose out of their business...

But it just lost the Bulldogs a 2 million sponsorship- that's 2 million x however many years they would have done it? and 2 million minimum ongoing cost each year without one/or + reduced value to next sponsor...

How many of these people - whatever the job- could honestly front up to their bosses and say- yeah I rooted the clients school age daughter and it's in the papers and now you are TWO MILLION in contracts down (plus untold reputational damage, for Bulldogs say another 2 mill) and the name of the company you spent 10 years (a lifetime?) building up is destroyed because I don't recognise appropriate professional limits but it's all cool because it's no big deal and we'll just get more big jobs hey boss? Boss?

You don't think I... me? should have to pay any sort of penalty right? You only lost a few million in sponsorships and half potential clients won't touch you but boys will be boys, let's not blow this out of proportion...

Idiots. I can only assume they are unemployed.
Nailed it.
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

correct me if I am wrong but I believe the only other situations involving players misbehaving while literally representing their club (as in , wearing the uniform, official function, working hours etc) were

- Willie Mason drawing pictures on the tablecloth while signing autographs and he was possibly sacked (cant be bothered googling)

- a player hitting a sponsor at an official function and I cant remember what happened there

This case is pretty much open and shut in my opinion, they breached code of conduct, simple as that.
Their actions have cost the dogs a major sponsor, and schools are now having second thoughts about having nrl players visit.

This has done more damage to the game then even Debelin in my opinion. Yes Debel's case is much more serious, and what he did was much worse then what the dogs players did BUT it hasnt stopped or put school clinics at risk and he wasnt dressed as a dragons player at the time
Vaccinated
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Anytime a player misbehaves they are representing the NRL and a club - as if they are wearing the jersey.

News headline - two NRL players from the Bulldogs have been stood down..... Canberra Raiders latest signing was arrested.....

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

cat wrote:correct me if I am wrong but I believe the only other situations involving players misbehaving while literally representing their club (as in , wearing the uniform, official function, working hours etc) were

- Willie Mason drawing pictures on the tablecloth while signing autographs and he was possibly sacked (cant be bothered googling)

- a player hitting a sponsor at an official function and I cant remember what happened there

This case is pretty much open and shut in my opinion, they breached code of conduct, simple as that.
Their actions have cost the dogs a major sponsor, and schools are now having second thoughts about having nrl players visit.

This has done more damage to the game then even Debelin in my opinion. Yes Debel's case is much more serious, and what he did was much worse then what the dogs players did BUT it hasnt stopped or put school clinics at risk and he wasnt dressed as a dragons player at the time
Right, cause this is worse than a sexual assault charge

Deadset

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Come on sTraWman
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

-TW- wrote: March 11, 2020, 8:59 pm
cat wrote:correct me if I am wrong but I believe the only other situations involving players misbehaving while literally representing their club (as in , wearing the uniform, official function, working hours etc) were

Right, cause this is worse than a sexual assault charge

Deadset

If you bothered to actually read my post instead of just being a bully you would have seen thats not what i said.

I said what they actually did was not as bad as de belin BUT the consequences for the game and the bulldogs is a lot worse.

But carry on
Vaccinated