St George Illawarra Dragons 2020

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Re: St George Illawarra Dragons 2020

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

greeneyed wrote:
Northern Raider wrote: August 13, 2020, 3:43 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: August 13, 2020, 1:13 pm The NRL have facilitated this mess by stupidly allowing Flanagan to be employed as an assistant coach but not a head coach. It's a ridiculous situation. Great move by the club if they employ another puppet for next season.
100%. Personally I'm shocked Flanagan is allowed anywhere near an NRL club. That aside I don't get the fixation Dragons have with him. He's there now pulling the strings but the team Stu sucks. Do they expect it to improve when he's officially in the top job?
He should never have been registered to take any position in the NRL ever again. Not only a drug cheat, but cheated while on suspension for cheating!
And neither he nor the club got punished for their salary cap breaches!
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

St George Illawarra Dragons appoint Anthony Griffin as coach

The St George Illawarra Dragons have announced Anthony Griffin as its head coach for at least the next two seasons.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/09/07/dra ... -as-coach/

Club statement

The St George Illawarra Dragons have announced Anthony Griffin as its head coach for at least the next two seasons.

Griffin will take over the coaching reins ahead of the Dragons' 2021 campaign, having last coached in the NRL back in 2018.

The 54-year-old has coached 173 first grade games to date with the Brisbane Broncos (2011-14) and the Penrith Panthers (2016-18), with a 55.5 per cent win rate.

In his time away from the NRL, Griffin was an assistant coach for the Tongan international team alongside current interim Dragons coach Dean Young.

Dragons chief executive Ryan Webb said Griffin's appointment was one of the most important decisions the club has made in recent times.

"We are excited to announce that Anthony Griffin will be joining St George Illawarra next season. Anthony is an experienced operator with a proven track record across his previous seven seasons as a head coach," Webb said.

"The board of directors were unanimous in their decision on Monday afternoon in appointing Anthony ahead of the other candidates.

"Anthony has missed finals football only once which speaks to the strong discipline and ability to develop young talent of which he has exhibited both throughout his career.

"The next steps for the Dragons are now determining the correct framework and structures to put around Anthony and the football department to ensure his tenure as coach is a successful one."

Griffin spoke of his pride in being afforded the opportunity to coach such a prestigious club in the St George Illawarra Dragons.

"There is no doubt that St George Illawarra is one of the biggest and proudest clubs in the game and I am excited to commence my role as coach later in the year," Griffin said.

"While results may not have gone in the club's favour in recent years, I see many a positive in the playing squad and the current crop of juniors currently coming through the ranks.

"My goal is a simple one, to ensure the Dragons are a club that every member, partner and fan can be proud of moving forward."

Dragons media release
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Good luck Peter Griffin.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

Was right not to resign Tristan Sailor, it seems.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Yet they re-signed DeBelin. Hahaha only in rugby league.
moto748
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: George Williams

Post by moto748 »

Perennial under-achievers. Always looks like it's a club where there is a real malaise somehow. If it wasn't for the two bright lights of Dufty and Lomax (who between them accounted for most of their points, I believe), where would they have been this season? I started watching the NRL regularly in the days when they were a top team (the Jamie Soward era). Never looked like contenders since.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Jury discharged in Jack de Belin rape trial after failing to reach verdict

The jury in the Jack de Belin sexual assault trial has been discharged after failing to reach a verdict.

Judge Haesler ordered the seven men and five women to go back again and review all the evidence. But the jury still could not reach a verdict. Judge Haesler said he would accept an 11-1 majority decision, but the jury also could not reach that and so were discharged. A second trial will now be set unless the prosecutor opts to drop the charges.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/jack-d ... e564747598
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I think the NRL now have to let De Belin play until he’s either found guilty or not guilty.

I fully supported the stand down, but it can’t go on indefinitely. The NRL made a very strong stance and stuck solid despite pushback.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

BJ wrote: November 30, 2020, 9:30 pm I think the NRL now have to let De Belin play until he’s either found guilty or not guilty.

I fully supported the stand down, but it can’t go on indefinitely. The NRL made a very strong stance and stuck solid despite pushback.
I can’t see how they can. Unless the prosecutor says it’s all over, we’re not going to a second trial. Until the charges are withdrawn or he’s found not guilty... it’s situation unchanged.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I guess so GE. Bizarre situation for all parties.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

BJ wrote:I guess so GE. Bizarre situation for all parties.
and you can 100% understand the hung jury this is tough, he's not denied the actions only the consent.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer