Page 3 of 4

Re: 2019 Test Double Header: Teams and Game Day

Posted: November 9, 2019, 6:37 pm
by greeneyed
gergreg wrote:Why do they play 'sweet Caroline' at football games? **** song which is about 50 years old.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
The promoters seem to think a Test match should be a sing-along. They’ve been playing what appear to be NZ pub songs for most of the match.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Re: 2019 Test Double Header: Teams and Game Day

Posted: November 9, 2019, 6:38 pm
by afgtnk
LOL who was it on here that said Tapine doesn't hit hard??

It's literally the exact opposite :lol: So many times this game.

Re: 2019 Test Double Header: Teams and Game Day

Posted: November 9, 2019, 6:38 pm
by The Greenhouse
72nd min Going to video, but it's no try. Obvious knock on in the lead up from Jake Connor.

Re: 2019 Test Double Header: Teams and Game Day

Posted: November 9, 2019, 6:40 pm
by -PJ-
How good is one ref ?

Even if it is a Sutton..

Re: 2019 Test Double Header: Teams and Game Day

Posted: November 9, 2019, 6:43 pm
by The Greenhouse
75th min FIELD GOAL NEW ZEALAND to Isaako.

New Zealand 21
Great Britain 8

Re: 2019 Test Double Header: Teams and Game Day

Posted: November 9, 2019, 6:45 pm
by gergreg
Blake tops off a cracking game.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk


Re: 2019 Test Double Header: Teams and Game Day

Posted: November 9, 2019, 6:45 pm
by -PJ-
Geez the Poms can't get anything right.

rugby league, brexit...

Re: 2019 Test Double Header: Teams and Game Day

Posted: November 9, 2019, 6:48 pm
by afgtnk
"He reads the game so well Blake Austin"

Commentator obviously did not watch any of Blake Austin at the Raiders in 2017 and 2018.

Re: 2019 Test Double Header: Teams and Game Day

Posted: November 9, 2019, 6:49 pm
by The Greenhouse
80th min PENALTY GOAL NEW ZEALAND to Isaako.

New Zealand Kiwis 23
Great Britain Lions 8

FULL TIME

MATCH REPORT: Classy Kiwis complete series sweep of Lions

The New Zealand Kiwis completed back-to-back wins over the Great Britain Lions with a dominant 23-8 victory in Christchurch on Saturday.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/11/09/cla ... -of-lions/

Match Highlights: New Zealand v Great Britain: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/11/09/fij ... ew-guinea/

Re: 2019 Test Double Header: Teams and Game Day

Posted: November 9, 2019, 6:53 pm
by -PJ-
Watch sidemouth give GWilly a run against PNG next week.

Bit late Wayne.

Re: 2019 Test Double Header: Teams and Game Day

Posted: November 9, 2019, 7:02 pm
by -PJ-
afgtnk wrote:
November 9, 2019, 6:38 pm
LOL who was it on here that said Tapine doesn't hit hard??

It's literally the exact opposite :lol: So many times this game.
The real JT.

Re: 2019 Test Double Header: Teams and Game Day

Posted: November 9, 2019, 7:23 pm
by Chicka's shoe
gergreg wrote:
November 9, 2019, 6:35 pm
Why do they play 'sweet Caroline' at football games? **** song which is about 50 years old.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
It's an American thing that for some reason we've adopted- why not Crunchy Granola Suite?

Re: 2019 Test Double Header: Teams and Game Day

Posted: November 9, 2019, 7:34 pm
by gergreg
Chicka's shoe wrote:
gergreg wrote:
November 9, 2019, 6:35 pm
Why do they play 'sweet Caroline' at football games? **** song which is about 50 years old.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
It's an American thing that for some reason we've adopted- why not Crunchy Granola Suite?
I think they even played it at a Raiders home game last season.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk


Re: 2019 Test Double Header: Teams and Game Day

Posted: November 9, 2019, 7:35 pm
by greeneyed
gergreg wrote:
November 9, 2019, 7:34 pm
Chicka's shoe wrote:
gergreg wrote:
November 9, 2019, 6:35 pm
Why do they play 'sweet Caroline' at football games? **** song which is about 50 years old.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
It's an American thing that for some reason we've adopted- why not Crunchy Granola Suite?
I think they even played it at a Raiders home game last season.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
The NRL plays it at finals games... don't think the Raiders did... maybe the half time sing-along.

Re: 2019 Test Double Header: Teams and Game Day

Posted: November 9, 2019, 9:07 pm
by TongueFTW
Clearly after the first game against Tonga, Hodgson was told to give ball to his halves and stay out of the way. Awful tactics when the halves are Jackson Hastings and an out of form Widdop. I can’t get over how bad Hastings has been these last two games - the Tonga game it could have be argued Hodgson was over playing his hand, but these last two games that was not an excuse. Hastings was so horrible - from those useless bombs, to his inability to read a simple 3 on 2, to his hospital passes and consistently poor options on the last tackle. I was worried for poor Whitehead outside him who was getting short balls with 3 defenders sweating on him. Hodgson being off the field when they were 20-8 down with the amount of possession they had - just awful coaching.

On the bright side - Bateman, CNK, and Tapine all had solid games. Special mention for CNK - to play as well as he did out of position at international level shows the quality of player we have. I thought he was immense defensively, read the game well with great first up contact. Tapine was probably NZ’s best forward - he really is finding his feet in the middle, though I would prefer slightly more hit ups - he is so strong with such good footwork, he needs his hands on the ball more (though the way he defends would take some gas out of him).

Re: 2019 Test Double Header: Teams and Game Day

Posted: November 9, 2019, 9:13 pm
by greeneyed
TongueFTW wrote:
November 9, 2019, 9:07 pm
Clearly after the first game against Tonga, Hodgson was told to give ball to his halves and stay out of the way. Awful tactics when the halves are Jackson Hastings and an out of form Widdop. I can’t get over how bad Hastings has been these last two games - the Tonga game it could have be argued Hodgson was over playing his hand, but these last two games that was not an excuse. Hastings was so horrible - from those useless bombs, to his inability to read a simple 3 on 2, to his hospital passes and consistently poor options on the last tackle. I was worried for poor Whitehead outside him who was getting short balls with 3 defenders sweating on him. Hodgson being off the field when they were 20-8 down with the amount of possession they had - just awful coaching.

On the bright side - Bateman, CNK, and Tapine all had solid games. Special mention for CNK - to play as well as he did out of position at international level shows the quality of player we have. I thought he was immense defensively, read the game well with great first up contact. Tapine was probably NZ’s best forward - he really is finding his feet in the middle, though I would prefer slightly more hit ups - he is so strong with such good footwork, he needs his hands on the ball more (though the way he defends would take some gas out of him).
Some very good points.

Have actually had English fans tell me Daryl Clark and James Roby are better hookers. And how great Hastings is. Someone told me on Twitter today that James Roby is the best hooker after Cameron Smith since the early 1990s! It’s probably why England and Great Britain are in such dire straits. I fear for the game in the northern hemisphere.

Re: 2019 Test Double Header: Teams and Game Day

Posted: November 9, 2019, 9:24 pm
by BadnMean
greeneyed wrote:
November 9, 2019, 3:58 pm
This is a really entertaining game! It’s been great!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yeah, I love the pacific Tests. Smashing tackles, courage, great skills on show with the passing. Now that they get more regular games + the Hunters etc the cohesion and fitness is improving too.

Compare that to the dull dross Great Britain have served up this tour. Bennet will kill league in England if they keep him much longer.

Re: 2019 Test Double Header: Teams and Game Day

Posted: November 9, 2019, 9:40 pm
by greeneyed
BadnMean wrote:
November 9, 2019, 9:24 pm
greeneyed wrote:
November 9, 2019, 3:58 pm
This is a really entertaining game! It’s been great!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yeah, I love the pacific Tests. Smashing tackles, courage, great skills on show with the passing. Now that they get more regular games + the Hunters etc the cohesion and fitness is improving too.

Compare that to the dull dross Great Britain have served up this tour. Bennet will kill league in England if they keep him much longer.
He will destroy any chance they have in their home World Cup.

Re: 2019 Test Double Header: Teams and Game Day

Posted: November 10, 2019, 6:00 am
by kiwi raider
The Greenhouse wrote:
November 9, 2019, 4:52 pm
Very average crowd in at Christchurch, both teams have completed their warm ups and are back in the sheds. Kick off due in nine minutes. Maori traditional welcome underway on field.
Just on this I reckon people of Christchurch are fed up and voting with there feet, it's been nearly 9 years since the earthquake and not only do we not have a new stadium but we dont even have a plan agreed on for what the new stadium will be like (roof/capacity etc).
The temporary stadium built of scaffolding basically initially had an expected life of 4 or so years but has had its use extended a couple of times already, the views are fine but your'e almost sitting on top of each other .

It was a perfect night for footy last night but there was also large fireworks display on that would have meant a lot of family's wouldn't have gone but Even the crusaders struggled to draw decent crowds even for semi finals etc in recent years

Re: 2019 Test Double Header: Teams and Game Day

Posted: November 10, 2019, 6:56 am
by BJ
Hodgson is an unbelievably good Hooker for his props and his halves once they are familiar with his style of play.

I think this does make him less impactful at representative level however.

Re: 2019 Test Double Header: Teams and Game Day

Posted: November 10, 2019, 8:44 am
by TongueFTW
greeneyed wrote:
November 9, 2019, 9:13 pm
TongueFTW wrote:
November 9, 2019, 9:07 pm
Clearly after the first game against Tonga, Hodgson was told to give ball to his halves and stay out of the way. Awful tactics when the halves are Jackson Hastings and an out of form Widdop. I can’t get over how bad Hastings has been these last two games - the Tonga game it could have be argued Hodgson was over playing his hand, but these last two games that was not an excuse. Hastings was so horrible - from those useless bombs, to his inability to read a simple 3 on 2, to his hospital passes and consistently poor options on the last tackle. I was worried for poor Whitehead outside him who was getting short balls with 3 defenders sweating on him. Hodgson being off the field when they were 20-8 down with the amount of possession they had - just awful coaching.

On the bright side - Bateman, CNK, and Tapine all had solid games. Special mention for CNK - to play as well as he did out of position at international level shows the quality of player we have. I thought he was immense defensively, read the game well with great first up contact. Tapine was probably NZ’s best forward - he really is finding his feet in the middle, though I would prefer slightly more hit ups - he is so strong with such good footwork, he needs his hands on the ball more (though the way he defends would take some gas out of him).
Some very good points.

Have actually had English fans tell me Daryl Clark and James Roby are better hookers. And how great Hastings is. Someone told me on Twitter today that James Roby is the best hooker after Cameron Smith since the early 1990s! It’s probably why England and Great Britain are in such dire straits. I fear for the game in the northern hemisphere.
The way English fans underrate Hodgson is unbelievable. I swear it is like they haven’t seen him at all in the NRL, and go off what he was like in the Super League. He is easily the second best Hooker in the world, just came off playing a finals series where he was a big reason his side won the preliminary final. His passing off the ground is crisp and accurate, he has a great long and short kicking game - he does overplay his hand in the opposition 20 at times, but he can also hit the halves on the chest with 20-25m passes both sides. To think he wasn’t given the keys to this side, and was encouraged to play second fiddle to Jackson Hastings - almost criminal.

Re: 2019 Test Double Header: Teams and Game Day

Posted: November 10, 2019, 9:31 am
by julian87
James Roby has continually and consistently out played Josh Hodgson at international level.

That suggestion that Roby is the second best hooker of this generation isn’t as silly as it sounds imo.

Re: 2019 Test Double Header: Teams and Game Day

Posted: November 10, 2019, 10:02 am
by greeneyed
PNG Orchids defeated by England 24 -10: http://rlif.com/article/8782/png-orchid ... goroka-png

Re: 2019 Test Double Header: Teams and Game Day

Posted: November 10, 2019, 12:08 pm
by TongueFTW
julian87 wrote:
November 10, 2019, 9:31 am
James Roby has continually and consistently out played Josh Hodgson at international level.

That suggestion that Roby is the second best hooker of this generation isn’t as silly as it sounds imo.
It is a lot easier to look good coming off the bench fresh when opposition forwards are tired.

Re: 2019 Test Double Header: Teams and Game Day

Posted: November 10, 2019, 4:18 pm
by julian87
TongueFTW wrote:
November 10, 2019, 12:08 pm
julian87 wrote:
November 10, 2019, 9:31 am
James Roby has continually and consistently out played Josh Hodgson at international level.

That suggestion that Roby is the second best hooker of this generation isn’t as silly as it sounds imo.
It is a lot easier to look good coming off the bench fresh when opposition forwards are tired.
Ah I guess that's why Baptiste and Havili have outplayed Hodgson over the last few seasons.

Re: 2019 Test Double Header: Teams and Game Day

Posted: November 10, 2019, 5:54 pm
by yeh raiders
Chicka's shoe wrote:
November 9, 2019, 7:23 pm
gergreg wrote:
November 9, 2019, 6:35 pm
Why do they play 'sweet Caroline' at football games? **** song which is about 50 years old.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
It's an American thing that for some reason we've adopted- why not Crunchy Granola Suite?
Cherry Cherry?

At least some connection with the Sea Eagles halfback....

Me :arrow:

Re: 2019 Test Double Header: Teams and Game Day

Posted: November 10, 2019, 8:59 pm
by TongueFTW
julian87 wrote:
November 10, 2019, 4:18 pm
TongueFTW wrote:
November 10, 2019, 12:08 pm
julian87 wrote:
November 10, 2019, 9:31 am
James Roby has continually and consistently out played Josh Hodgson at international level.

That suggestion that Roby is the second best hooker of this generation isn’t as silly as it sounds imo.
It is a lot easier to look good coming off the bench fresh when opposition forwards are tired.
Ah I guess that's why Baptiste and Havili have outplayed Hodgson over the last few seasons.
There were a significant number of fans and “experts” calling for Baptiste to get more minutes in 2016, based on his impact. It’s the old “Craig Wing” effect. I don’t think it is unreasonable to suggest being a running bench hooker (as Roby was in those tests) is an unfair comparative advantage. Roby started the Final in 2017 when Hodgson was injured, and he didn’t have anywhere near as much impact as he did off the bench.

Re: 2019 Test Double Header: Teams and Game Day

Posted: November 11, 2019, 8:47 am
by luffraider
Can anyone confirm if the Lions are currently staying in Brisbane?

Just went for my morning coffee in the city, and saw Kevin Sinfield run past (or someone who is a dead ringer)

Re: 2019 Test Double Header: Teams and Game Day

Posted: November 11, 2019, 8:53 am
by BadnMean
I'd definitely agree Hodgo hasn't produced for England what he has for us.

Whether that is the way it is coached? Or his style needs time to gel with other players? Some thing different about the international game? I am not sure.

I'm leaning toward #1, as he's had some time on this tour and played a fair bit with some of those guys. Not many of them look happy playing on this tour- then again they are losing.

Re: 2019 Test Double Header: Teams and Game Day

Posted: November 11, 2019, 9:22 am
by greeneyed
luffraider wrote:
November 11, 2019, 8:47 am
Can anyone confirm if the Lions are currently staying in Brisbane?

Just went for my morning coffee in the city, and saw Kevin Sinfield run past (or someone who is a dead ringer)
Yes they are, en route to PNG. Presume they won't go up there too early.

Re: 2019 Test Double Header: Teams and Game Day

Posted: November 11, 2019, 11:18 am
by reptar
greeneyed wrote:
luffraider wrote:
November 11, 2019, 8:47 am
Can anyone confirm if the Lions are currently staying in Brisbane?

Just went for my morning coffee in the city, and saw Kevin Sinfield run past (or someone who is a dead ringer)
Yes they are, en route to PNG. Presume they won't go up there too early.
They'll end up with respiratory problems training in Brisbane

Re: 2019 Test Double Header: Teams and Game Day

Posted: November 11, 2019, 11:34 am
by Hazza
TongueFTW wrote:
November 10, 2019, 8:44 am
greeneyed wrote:
November 9, 2019, 9:13 pm
TongueFTW wrote:
November 9, 2019, 9:07 pm
Clearly after the first game against Tonga, Hodgson was told to give ball to his halves and stay out of the way. Awful tactics when the halves are Jackson Hastings and an out of form Widdop. I can’t get over how bad Hastings has been these last two games - the Tonga game it could have be argued Hodgson was over playing his hand, but these last two games that was not an excuse. Hastings was so horrible - from those useless bombs, to his inability to read a simple 3 on 2, to his hospital passes and consistently poor options on the last tackle. I was worried for poor Whitehead outside him who was getting short balls with 3 defenders sweating on him. Hodgson being off the field when they were 20-8 down with the amount of possession they had - just awful coaching.

On the bright side - Bateman, CNK, and Tapine all had solid games. Special mention for CNK - to play as well as he did out of position at international level shows the quality of player we have. I thought he was immense defensively, read the game well with great first up contact. Tapine was probably NZ’s best forward - he really is finding his feet in the middle, though I would prefer slightly more hit ups - he is so strong with such good footwork, he needs his hands on the ball more (though the way he defends would take some gas out of him).
Some very good points.

Have actually had English fans tell me Daryl Clark and James Roby are better hookers. And how great Hastings is. Someone told me on Twitter today that James Roby is the best hooker after Cameron Smith since the early 1990s! It’s probably why England and Great Britain are in such dire straits. I fear for the game in the northern hemisphere.
The way English fans underrate Hodgson is unbelievable. I swear it is like they haven’t seen him at all in the NRL, and go off what he was like in the Super League. He is easily the second best Hooker in the world, just came off playing a finals series where he was a big reason his side won the preliminary final. His passing off the ground is crisp and accurate, he has a great long and short kicking game - he does overplay his hand in the opposition 20 at times, but he can also hit the halves on the chest with 20-25m passes both sides. To think he wasn’t given the keys to this side, and was encouraged to play second fiddle to Jackson Hastings - almost criminal.
He wasn't good in these last few tests though

Re: 2019 Test Double Header: Teams and Game Day

Posted: November 11, 2019, 12:45 pm
by zim
There were only 2-3 english players that were good. Hastings and Clark weren't among them.

Re: 2019 Test Double Header: Teams and Game Day

Posted: November 11, 2019, 6:57 pm
by julian87
TongueFTW wrote:
November 10, 2019, 8:59 pm
julian87 wrote:
November 10, 2019, 4:18 pm
TongueFTW wrote:
November 10, 2019, 12:08 pm
julian87 wrote:
November 10, 2019, 9:31 am
James Roby has continually and consistently out played Josh Hodgson at international level.

That suggestion that Roby is the second best hooker of this generation isn’t as silly as it sounds imo.
It is a lot easier to look good coming off the bench fresh when opposition forwards are tired.
Ah I guess that's why Baptiste and Havili have outplayed Hodgson over the last few seasons.
There were a significant number of fans and “experts” calling for Baptiste to get more minutes in 2016, based on his impact. It’s the old “Craig Wing” effect. I don’t think it is unreasonable to suggest being a running bench hooker (as Roby was in those tests) is an unfair comparative advantage. Roby started the Final in 2017 when Hodgson was injured, and he didn’t have anywhere near as much impact as he did off the bench.
The Craig Wing effect?

He's legitimately the best Origin bench player in eons so I don't know about that term.

Re: 2019 Test Double Header: Teams and Game Day

Posted: November 11, 2019, 8:34 pm
by TongueFTW
julian87 wrote:
November 11, 2019, 6:57 pm
TongueFTW wrote:
November 10, 2019, 8:59 pm
julian87 wrote:
November 10, 2019, 4:18 pm
TongueFTW wrote:
November 10, 2019, 12:08 pm
julian87 wrote:
November 10, 2019, 9:31 am
James Roby has continually and consistently out played Josh Hodgson at international level.

That suggestion that Roby is the second best hooker of this generation isn’t as silly as it sounds imo.
It is a lot easier to look good coming off the bench fresh when opposition forwards are tired.
Ah I guess that's why Baptiste and Havili have outplayed Hodgson over the last few seasons.
There were a significant number of fans and “experts” calling for Baptiste to get more minutes in 2016, based on his impact. It’s the old “Craig Wing” effect. I don’t think it is unreasonable to suggest being a running bench hooker (as Roby was in those tests) is an unfair comparative advantage. Roby started the Final in 2017 when Hodgson was injured, and he didn’t have anywhere near as much impact as he did off the bench.
The Craig Wing effect?

He's legitimately the best Origin bench player in eons so I don't know about that term.
Did he ever start a game at Hooker for NSW? My point is, bench hookers and starting hookers are different roles, and often a bench hooker can look better than a starter just by that fact. Roby did nothing in the single game in the World Cup he started and, to be honest, until he proves himself in the NRL (and helps take his side to a GF) he can’t hold a candle to Hodgson.