Grand Final to remain in Sydney

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL Grand Final to remain in Sydney

The NRL Grand Final will remain in Sydney throughout the $2 billion upgrade of the city's stadia network after an agreement was reached with the NSW Government today.

The decision means all grand finals will be played in Sydney until at least 2046.

The Grand Final schedule for the next three years will be:

2020: Sydney Cricket Ground
2021: Sydney Cricket Ground
2022: Allianz Stadium
The Grand Final will return to ANZ Stadium when its $810 million upgrade is completed in 2023.

NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg said the outcome both acknowledged the NSW Government's commitment to providing the game with world class stadia and ensured the game did not incur a financial loss.

"I want to thank the NSW Government for our ongoing partnership. By 2023 the game will have three brand new state-of-the-art rugby league venues to ensure the optimum game day experience for our fans while our bottom line will not be impacted by using alternative Grand Final venues during the construction phase,'' he said.

"This deal will benefit rugby league fans everywhere because it ensures we can continue to increase investment in grassroots participation right across the country."

NRL media release

NRL grand final to remain in Sydney: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/10/16/nrl ... in-sydney/
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Re: Grand Final to remain in Sydney

Post by The Nickman »

This is absolute horse-****.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Why?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Classic NRL. They don't have a stadium up to standard for the next 2 years but still refuse to take the GF to another city. Top class facilities available in Brisbane and Melbourne but they just can't let go of the Sydney centric mindset.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Sydney Cricket Ground is a terrible place to watch rugby league and a terrible ground to play rugby league.

Big leg up for the Roosters and a big missed opportunity to grow the game.
Shano
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: The dood with the boofy hair

Post by Shano »

What a joke the NRL has become. Even if the raiders are lucky enough to make the GF or any Sydney final next year, I'm not going to the SCG, I'll be watching at home
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

dubby wrote:Why?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Because there’s a better stadium, a world class rugby league stadium, in Brisbane, with a larger capacity!

There’s literally no reason to play the grand final in Sydney at the SCG except for some ridiculous out-dated notion that “it’s always been in Sydney”

NRL continuing to prove itself as the most backwards code on the planet
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

There are going to be a lot of fans who miss going to the Grand Final. The SCG preserves a huge number of seats for their members.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Little doubt they've received a big financial package from NSW government to keep it in Sydney while they're rebuilding some proper stadiums. Wouldn't be surprised if quite a few palms were greased as part of the process.

Basically the 'National' Rugby League was given a golden opportunity to take its championship game to another major city but failed dismally.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

It is clear from the press release that compensation for lower gate takings was the key. I'd be prepared to bet that the NRL gave little or no consideration to the number of their own members who'd be excluded from attending.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

greeneyed wrote: October 16, 2019, 9:39 pm It is clear from the press release that compensation for lower gate takings was the key. I'd be prepared to bet that the NRL gave little or no consideration to the number of their own members who'd be excluded from attending.
They would only have used that as leverage in the negotiations. It was never of any great concern for them.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

It’s just ridiculous that the NRL grand final isn’t held at the best available venue, for both capacity AND facilities/viewing experience.

It really is disgraceful.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Northern Raider wrote: October 16, 2019, 9:43 pm
greeneyed wrote: October 16, 2019, 9:39 pm It is clear from the press release that compensation for lower gate takings was the key. I'd be prepared to bet that the NRL gave little or no consideration to the number of their own members who'd be excluded from attending.
They would only have used that as leverage in the negotiations. It was never of any great concern for them.
They were just a number with a dollar attached no doubt. NSW comes up with the right dollar amount per member... and it’s see you later members. Watch at the pub.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Queensland Minister gutted at missing Grand Final: "I think it's a kick in the guts. Right now I feel like a Raiders fan from the grand final.": https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14231
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

Should’ve been moved to Gosford

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

The Rickman wrote: October 16, 2019, 9:46 pm It’s just ridiculous that the NRL grand final isn’t held at the best available venue, for both capacity AND facilities/viewing experience.

It really is disgraceful.
...and if they really wanted it at a cricket ground then there's at least 3 better ones around.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

greeneyed wrote:Queensland Minister gutted at missing Grand Final: "I think it's a kick in the guts. Right now I feel like a Raiders fan from the grand final.": https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14231
I’m now a big fan of this Queensland Minister. ‘First time this words have ever been expressed’.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

I don't see how the NRL could've moved it - they've got an existing long term deal with the NSW Government to keep it in the state. They haven't paid huge money just to see it bugger off to QLD for a couple of years.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

afgtnk wrote:I don't see how the NRL could've moved it - they've got an existing long term deal with the NSW Government to keep it in the state. They haven't paid huge money just to see it bugger off to QLD for a couple of years.
So if the NSW Government already had a deal with the NRL, why did they just agree to pay the NRL so many extra millions?

The deal is for after the new stadiums are built, not the period we are talking about over the next few years.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

I'm pretty sure the deal to keep the GF in NSW for the next 20 odd years has been in place well before this.

The extra money would be compensation for the revenue the NRL stands to lose as a result of ANZ being rebuilt.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

afgtnk wrote: October 20, 2019, 12:39 pm I'm pretty sure the deal to keep the GF in NSW for the next 20 odd years has been in place well before this.

The extra money would be compensation for the revenue the NRL stands to lose as a result of ANZ being rebuilt.
If that was the case then all Greenberg had to say was "we're contractually obligated to keep the game in Sydney" instead of waffling on about supporting the NSW government for investing in the stadium upgrades.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I suspect it has more to do with the fact that the NRL could get significantly more revenue from alternative stadiums in other States... while waiting for new Grand Final quality stadiums to be built. The issue with the SCG is that there are only 30,000 seats up for sale once you take members out. The NRL would be able to sell significantly more seats at Lang Park. AND the Queensland Government was probably going to throw in a significant subsidy to boot. And that’s what the compensation from NSW would be about.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Northern Raider wrote: October 20, 2019, 2:03 pm
afgtnk wrote: October 20, 2019, 12:39 pm I'm pretty sure the deal to keep the GF in NSW for the next 20 odd years has been in place well before this.

If that was the case then all Greenberg had to say was "we're contractually obligated to keep the game in Sydney" instead of waffling on about supporting the NSW government for investing in the stadium upgrades.
Why would the NRL want to do that?

They've taken stock of the situation and used it to their advantage - first by playing part in NSW committing to spend over $2 billion odd for three new stadiums, and then threatening to shop the GF around to other states despite being contractually bound to play it in NSW.

The NRL would never move the GF with the existing contract in place but the NSW government called their bluff and coughed up $12 million more for the game, which going by the reports was again the best deal on offer.

Played them like a fiddle if you ask me, this is the exact type of **** the AFL have been doing for years.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Interesting report today that some in the NSW Government wanted to axe the redevelopment of Stadium Australia and put all the cash into suburban stadiums costing $250 million that have 25,000 capacity. One at Brookvale, one for Sharks/Dragons, one for Penrith... plus improve Leichhardt, but the Premier said no. Pushing ahead with Stadium Australia. Not clear what the new NRL chair wanted.

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct= ... KfmDKp6GkI
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

afgtnk wrote: October 20, 2019, 6:01 pm

They've taken stock of the situation and used it to their advantage - first by playing part in NSW committing to spend over $2 billion odd for three new stadiums, and then threatening to shop the GF around to other states despite being contractually bound to play it in NSW.

The NRL would never move the GF with the existing contract in place but the NSW government called their bluff and coughed up $12 million more for the game, which going by the reports was again the best deal on offer.

Played them like a fiddle if you ask me, this is the exact type of **** the AFL have been doing for years.
They were either contractually obligated or they weren't. No real grey area there.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Northern Raider wrote: October 20, 2019, 7:44 pm

They were either contractually obligated or they weren't. No real grey area there.
There's plenty of grey area - this isn't your standard business relationship. Similar to clubs bending over for players who sign a contract, have a breakout season, and all of a sudden the terms previously agreed to are deemed unders by the player.

I'd say they could've probably broken the contract given the circumstances and the loss the NRL was facing, but to let it reach that point and take that action without fishing hard for a better deal from them would've burned a lot of goodwill, as well a strained an important relationship.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

afgtnk wrote: October 20, 2019, 10:35 pm
Northern Raider wrote: October 20, 2019, 7:44 pm

There's plenty of grey area - this isn't your standard business relationship. Similar to clubs bending over for players who sign a contract, have a breakout season, and all of a sudden the terms previously agreed to are deemed unders by the player.

I'd say they could've probably broken the contract given the circumstances and the loss the NRL was facing, but to let it reach that point and take that action without fishing hard for a better deal from them would've burned a lot of goodwill, as well a strained an important relationship.
So they weren't contractually obligated to keep the game in Sydney.