If you were Seibold, fix the Broncos roster

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

I posed a very similar post to this in regards to the Titans this year, but how often does a 'glamour club' hit this kind of road block?

We have all seen the news around the Broncos in the past 24-48hrs regarding the pokies and the fire sale on the roster. So, if you are Seibold what do you do with the roster? I admit, I suspect its a pretty similar answer to Titans, but lets see.

What do you do with the roster for next year?
What is your Round 1 team in 2020?

Bronco's top 30 in contract order:
Andre Savelio* (early transfer to Hull FC - not sure who came into the Top 30)

Alex Glenn > Off Con. 2019 [contract tabled, but not confirmed]
Corey Oates > Off Con. 2019
George Fai > Off Con. 2019
Izaia Perese > Off Con. 2019
Patrick Mago > Off Con. 2019
Richie Kennar > Off Con. 2019
Sam Tagataese > Off Con. 2019
Shaun Fensom > Off Con. 2019
James Segeyaro (mid season in) > Off Con. 2019

Andrew McCullough > Off Con. 2020 + 1 club favor
Anthony Milford > Off Con. 2020 + 1 club favor {rumored 1 million a yr}
Darius Boyd > Off Con. 2020 + 1 club favor {rumored 800K a yr}
David Fifita > Off Con. 2020 [apparently asking for 1 million a yr]
Gehamat Shibasaki > Off Con. 2020
Jack Bird > Off Con. 2020 {rumored 800K a yr}
Kotoni Staggs > Off Con. 2020
Rhys Kennedy* (swap with Jaydn Su'a mid season to Bunnies) > Off Con. 2020
Sean O'Sullivan > Off Con. 2020
Thomas Flegler > Off Con. 2020
Troy Dargan >>> Signed with Bunnies for 2020

Tom Dearden* (replaced Kodi Nikorima mid season to Warriors) > Off Con. 2021
Xavier Coates* (replaced James Roberts mid season to Bunnies) > Off Con. 2021

Jamayne Isaako > Off Con. 2022
Joe Ofahengaue > Re-signed Til 2022
Matt Gillett > Off Con. 2022
Matthew Lodge > Re-signed Til 2022
Patrick Carrigan > Re-signed Til 2022
Tevita Pangai Jr > Re-signed Til 2022

Payne Haas > Off Con. 2024

Development Players:
Cory Paix - debuted this yr > Re-signed Til 2022
Ethan Bullemor
Herbie Farnworth - debuted this yr > Off Con. 2019
Ilikena Vudogo
Jake Turpin - debuted this yr (upgraded to Top 30 this yr? Or next?) > Re-signed Til 2022
Tanah Boyd >>> Signed with Titans for 2020

Not sure:
Fanitesi Niu
Keenan Palasia
gerg
Laurie Daley

Re: If you were Seibold, fix the Broncos roster

Post by gerg »

Let me be the first to say, **** the Broncos.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Im cutting most of those 2019 guys, keeping only Seggy, Perese, 1 of Fai or Mago (depth) and maybe Glenn, if the price is right.

Im shopping Boyd, Bird and McCullough. Im happy to take up to a 50% cap hit on the latter two, and if I have to, and very tempted to take the 800K hit on Boyd. Though I might just have to sit him in QLD Cup all yr.

Boyd and Bird - there are numerous outside backs off contract in 2019 that could do a job, at half the price - Hymel Hunt, Jai Field, Brad Takarangi, Jordan Kahu, Mawene Hiroti, Matt Ikuvalu.
OR
Chase a back who is struggling to start, but will still likely come cheaper, like at the backs at Dragons, one of Zac Lomax, Euan Aiken, Mikaele Ravalawa, Tim Lafia, or Storm, Curtis Scott, Marios Seve, Justin Olam, or Tigers, Esan Marsters, Paul Momirovski, Robert Jennings.

McCullough is just showing signs of wear and tear, so look for youth a Billy Brittian at Souths or Harry Grant at Storm, who are both very highly thought of, but stuck behind Top 3 hookers, and in Grants case 2 Smiths.

Round 1:

1. Milford
2. Farnsworth/ Perese/ Coates - let the rookies win the job
3. Staggs
4. Jesse Arthars (bought from Titans)
5. Isaako
6. Dearden/ O'Sullivan - let pre season sort this out - wildcard, if Corey Paix impressed, and outplayed these two, Milford to 6, Paix to 1.
7. Ash Taylor in a trade for Jack Bird OR Aidan Sezer OR Brodie Croft
8. Haas
9. Turpin
10. Lodge
11. Fifita
12. Gillett
13. TPJ

14. Seggy
15. Flegler
16. Ofa
17. Carrigan
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Boyd and Macca in reserve grade. No real money to do anything special till 2020 when Boyd, Bird and Macca will be off. Once that happens you can pretty much do whatever you want. That's a lot of cash.

Round 1. Not running a bench full of reserve graders. Carrigan starts to allow some balance. Gillett assumed to be better after a pre-season. Lack of depth in the roster pretty much forces him to be in the side somewhere.
By round 6 you probably see TPJ start at lock instead of Carrigan as he's now match fit.

1. Jesse Arthars
2. Jamayne Isaako
3. Kotoni Staggs
4. Jack Bird
5. Xavier Coates
6. Anthony Milford
7. Tom Dearden
8. Matthew Lodge
9. Jake Turpin
10. Payne Haas
11. Alex Glenn (c)
12. David Fifita
13. Patrick Carrigan

14. James Segeyaro
15. Matt Gillett
16. Tevita Pangai Jr
17. Joe Ofahengaue
Organised Chaos
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Organised Chaos »

gergreg wrote:Let me be the first to say, **** the Broncos.

Second this motion, no suggestions on fixing them... hope they get desperate and spend the next decade rebuilding!

They remind me of brat born with a silver spoon in his/her mouth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

God, both those teams you guys have listed absolutely **** STINK.

I love it
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

I wouldn't change a thing. They are perfect just the way they are.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

The Rickman wrote: September 18, 2019, 10:35 pm God, both those teams you guys have listed absolutely **** STINK.

I love it
Top 8 sides if this season is anything to go by :roflmao. Rest of the league should be embarrassed.
Organised Chaos
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Organised Chaos »

zim wrote:
The Rickman wrote: September 18, 2019, 10:35 pm God, both those teams you guys have listed absolutely **** STINK.

I love it
Top 8 sides if this season is anything to go by :roflmao. Rest of the league should be embarrassed.

Like last season, lucked in or got help... been that way for a little while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Too much effort to do this properly or to be realistic for 2020, but basically:

- Find a way to dump Boyd, Bird, and McCullough

- Sign a quality replacement fullback and hooker

- Shift Milford back to 5/8

- Too overstocked with quality forwards, dump at least 2 for cheaper alternatives

- Sign a quality outside back
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I'm backing gergreg and Zaius comments.

I'm in a good head space right now and couldn't be happier the Donks are carp..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I hope Darius **** them and backs up to play next year. He’s the worst player in the competition by some margin now.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

julian87 wrote:I hope Darius **** them and backs up to play next year. He’s the worst player in the competition by some margin now.
It’s **** brilliant too, isn’t it? And broncos legends everywhere are calling for him to retire while every single broncos fan I know absolutely hates him... it’s just incredible stuff
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

They'll convince him to retire. Those ashtray cleaning jobs pay well at Broncos league's club.

TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

The Broncos are such a horribly balanced side - they were extremely lucky to make the 8, as this year there was a huge gap between the Top 6 and the rest. Their roster management has been horrible. They are spending 1m on Milford, 800K on Boyd and 800K on Bird. You would say they are getting about 500K in value from these 3 combined (with Milford playing like a 500K player). That puts them behind the 8 ball immediately - in the salary cap era, it is all about players who play over their pay grade. They have then compounded the issue by spending way too much of their cap on forwards. Generally speaking - it is much, much easier to find a forward play over their value than it is a playmaker. The NRL premiers have generally been teams with a gun spine (usually 2 or 3 out of 4 players), forwards who will do a job, and a game breaker or two in the backs.

The way they have managed their young forwards has been horrible, too. Look at what the Raiders have done with Horsburgh, Guler and Young - given very simple roles off the bench to support the more experienced forwards around them. The Broncos have made 2 teenagers the focal point of their pack. They are good with the ball, but defensively it takes a while to learn the ins and outs.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Lost cause. Relocate them to Perth and start again.

Sent from my SM-G975F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

T_R wrote: September 19, 2019, 8:55 am Lost cause. Relocate them to Perth and start again.

Sent from my SM-G975F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
:roflmao
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Ego and club culture is the biggest issue at the Broncos.

Most of the roster are capable first graders, with the exception of Darius Boyd and they're really lacking a halfback. Funny because they had Hunt and Nikorima. Neither are elite level half's, but both a significant upgrade on what they currently have.

Seibold is still very much unproven as a coach. He did well at Souths with a roster containing 3 Burgess boys, Damien Cook and Cameron Murray. If you can't get that forward pack rolling, you shouldn't be coaching.

This is a good challenge for him.

Edit: **** the Broncos.
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

Take out insurance on their HQ and burn it down.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I would go to the head office, tell them what im about to embark on is going to be really hard, and a bit a long road but will certainly lead to multiple premierships, but to do it i need confidence that im going to be able to see my plan out, and i'll need a 2-3 year extension on top of my current 4 years left, and a pay increase

once that is secured, i would re-sign Darius Boyd for 4 years at big money. He's playing halfback for me. Anthony Milford would be reupped with the club with a major pay increase, and bulked up and moved to hooker to solve my woes there. Jack Bird would be moved into fullback long term. im making him the highest paid player in the NRL. Im very confident in him doing exactly what i want from him in this spot.

Haas and TPJ would be shopped around, too top heavy in the pack.
Staggs doesnt fit in with my plans either, so he's going to be shopped also. Time to move on from Glenn too, new era of Broncos football.

With freed up cap space, id be looking at grabbing Sam Williams to pair up with Darius Boyd in the halves, i'd bring back Lachlan Maranta on about 500k a year for 4 years to be my centre. I'd look at guys like Rapana and Brett Morris and offer them up long, big money term deals to sort out my outside backs problem. Corey Oates would be moved to the back row. Lodge would be my captain.
I really like Isaako and i want to get him move involved, he'll play this year off the bench as my utility, but long term he's going to play along side Boyd in the halves

My team:

1. Bird
2. Morris
3. Maranta
4. Arthars
5. Rapana
6. Williams
7. Boyd
8. Lodge (c)
9. Milford
10. Fifita
11. Oates
12. Gillett
13. Carrigan

14. Issako
15. Shibasaki
16. Farnworth
17. Ofahengaue

We'd start the 2020 season under cooked in terms of our fitness and having done zero defensive work. We're focused on attacking football.
We'd start out 0-12, the players would revolt, i'd be sacked, and paid out of my 7 year contract, and the Broncos would be **** for a decade, if not longer once i sunk my claws into their junior system and alienated all the relationships there.

And then i retire somewhere South of the boarder and never pay for a beer again in my life
Last edited by Botman on September 19, 2019, 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

I love it how people thought this scenario when looking at the trash that is the Titans, but here its just torch the joint
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Partly it's because of the players and contracts involved. Gillett, Boyd, Macca, and Bird can't be bullied into anything. They're past or incumbent rep players that are going to get paid and would still believe they can turn it around regardless of what they're being told. Plus coming from the broncos you're less likely to settle for the Titans. Coming from the Titans, well, anywhere else will do.

Bird is probably the only player you could move on without having to take up 2/3+ of his deal.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

PigRickman wrote:I would go to the head office, tell them what im about to embark on is going to be really hard, and a bit a long road but will certainly lead to multiple premierships, but to do it i need confidence that im going to be able to see my plan out, and i'll need a 2-3 year extension on top of my current 4 years left, and a pay increase

once that is secured, i would re-sign Darius Boyd for 4 years at big money. He's playing halfback for me. Anthony Milford would be reupped with the club with a major pay increase, and bulked up and moved to hooker to solve my woes there. Jack Bird would be moved into fullback long term. im making him the highest paid player in the NRL. Im very confident in him doing exactly what i want from him in this spot.

Staggs doesnt fit in with my plans either, so he's going to be shopped also. Time to move on from Glenn too, new era of Broncos football.

With freed up cap space, id be looking at grabbing Sam Williams to pair up with Darius Boyd in the halves, i'd bring back Lachlan Maranta on about 500k a year for 4 years to be my centre. I'd look at guys like Rapana and Brett Morris and offer them up long, big money term deals to sort out my outside backs problem. Corey Oates would be moved to the back row. Lodge would be my captain.
I really like Isaako and i want to get him move involved, he'll play this year off the bench as my utility, but long term he's going to play along side Boyd in the halves

My team:

1. Bird
2. Morris
3. Maranta
4. Arthars
5. Rapana
6. Williams
7. Boyd
8. Lodge (c)
9. Milford
10. Fifita
11. Oates
12. Gillett
13. Carrigan

14. Issako
15. Shibasaki
16. Farnworth
17. Ofahengaue

We'd start the 2020 season under cooked in terms of our fitness and having done zero defensive work. We're focused on attacking football.
We'd start out 0-12, the players would revolt, i'd be sacked, and paid out of my 7 year contract, and the Broncos would be **** for a decade, if not longer once i sunk my claws into their junior system and alienated all the relationships there.

And then i retire somewhere South of the boarder and never pay for a beer again in my life
Now you’re finally using that brain of yours! That’s gold.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

PigRickman wrote: September 19, 2019, 1:18 pm I would go to the head office, tell them what im about to embark on is going to be really hard, and a bit a long road but will certainly lead to multiple premierships, but to do it i need confidence that im going to be able to see my plan out, and i'll need a 2-3 year extension on top of my current 4 years left, and a pay increase

My team:

1. Bird
2. Morris
3. Maranta
4. Arthars
5. Rapana
6. Williams
7. Boyd
8. Lodge (c)
9. Milford
10. Fifita
11. Oates
12. Gillett
13. Carrigan

14. Issako
15. Shibasaki
16. Farnworth
17. Ofahengaue

:clap:
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

I'd just sit back and let Frank sort them out.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Product placement on point

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

PigRickman wrote: September 19, 2019, 1:18 pm Lodge would be my captain.

It's happening!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

PigRickman wrote:
PigRickman wrote: September 19, 2019, 1:18 pm Lodge would be my captain.

It's happening!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
We did it, Pig. We did it, old friend
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves here. There's still a few pieces to fall into place for the biggest **** bag of a club in the comp.
Carrying on like they've hit rock bottom. Puhlease they're barely scratching the surface.

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Botman wrote: September 19, 2019, 1:18 pm I would go to the head office, tell them what im about to embark on is going to be really hard, and a bit a long road but will certainly lead to multiple premierships, but to do it i need confidence that im going to be able to see my plan out, and i'll need a 2-3 year extension on top of my current 4 years left, and a pay increase

My team:

1. Bird
2. Morris
3. Maranta
4. Arthars
5. Rapana
6. Williams
7. Boyd
8. Lodge (c)
9. Milford
10. Fifita
11. Oates
12. Gillett
13. Carrigan

14. Issako
15. Shibasaki
16. Farnworth
17. Ofahengaue

**Bump**
I think Seibold might have got some ideas from TheGH
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: August 28, 2020, 12:20 pm
Botman wrote: September 19, 2019, 1:18 pm I would go to the head office, tell them what im about to embark on is going to be really hard, and a bit a long road but will certainly lead to multiple premierships, but to do it i need confidence that im going to be able to see my plan out, and i'll need a 2-3 year extension on top of my current 4 years left, and a pay increase

My team:

1. Bird
2. Morris
3. Maranta
4. Arthars
5. Rapana
6. Williams
7. Boyd
8. Lodge (c)
9. Milford
10. Fifita
11. Oates
12. Gillett
13. Carrigan

14. Issako
15. Shibasaki
16. Farnworth
17. Ofahengaue

**Bump**
I think Seibold might have got some ideas from TheGH
:thumbsup :clap:
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

All that was missing was "let Fifita go to the Titans".
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

:lol: Turns out Seibs was one of us all along!
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

So much of that was spot on great bump
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
moto748
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: George Williams

Post by moto748 »

Yeah, biting satire there! :lol:

I remember when the Warriors beat Brisbane in a game that was absolutely crucial to their season, and afterwards all the talk was about what a tragedy it was for Brisbane, and I thought, if I was a Warriors fan, I'd be pretty miffed at that.

I never rated Boyd much even in his so-called heyday; I could never understand why an experienced rep player like him still had those schoolboy errors in him. Milford is obviously a talent when fit. I thought in a very difficult situation their young half-back showed up really creditably, and young Wiganer :) Farnworth can be proud of his first NRL season. Few of the rest can.