2019 NRL Round 25 - Teams and Game Day

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: 2019 NRL Round 25 - Teams and Game Day

Post by -PJ- »

It's tackle footy soft serve...

Poor attempt !
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Tigers have really **** the bed this second half. They don’t want to win
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Cummins and Maxwell ripping teams off name a better combo
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

King Gallen
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Gallen field goal

Taking the absolute piss there

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Finals are decided now. Reckon we're in the best side of it. If we lose to Storm we play winner of Eels v Broncos. Both are the biggest pretenders in the finals.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Surely the myth of Ivan Cleary being some kind of underrated supercoach will finally be put to bed. Handed a squad chock full of talent, coming off the back of a fifth place finish, and this is what he manages to dish out.

One of the true underachieving, overrated coaches of the NRL era.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I dunno, think management is a bit of a basketcase, he has a nepotism conundrum, and had megalomaniac Gould.

I think it was doomed. Having said that he walked into all of that knowingly... so he must really like the money.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Gould left before he came. Don't see how management should affect him in his first year back, taking over a stacked side that everyone thought should make a deep run into September. People rubbish those kinda excuses any time someone attempts to defend Sticky's record and he's had it far worse in terms of bad management.

He's just an ordinary coach who's living off a couple of good years with the Warriors, where he was able to extract better performances from their perenially stacked side than all the other crud coaches they hire, thus making him look like a relative genius. Problem is he's now 13 seasons into a coaching career and has very little to show for it apart from that.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

afgtnk wrote:Gould left before he came.
Ummm... no he didn’t.

Didn’t see much point reading beyond that
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

I think Cleary is better at getting average teams to play above themselves and not as good at handling the more talented rosters. Next year will be interesting if they miss the finals again.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

What a try..

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Knights have little interest in defending.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

gangrenous wrote: September 8, 2019, 5:00 pm
afgtnk wrote:Gould left before he came.
Ummm... no he didn’t.

Didn’t see much point reading beyond that
He left a month into the season. So yeah, probably should read beyond it if you're defending him because the point remains, it's a rubbish excuse.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

afhgjhgktkt moving the goalposts already. Great stuff here.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

once again coming in like Thaiday in his prime from the cheap seats, adding nothing of substance to the debate. Agreed, great stuff.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Meanwhile the Knights are getting put through the blender

Panthers 54-10

afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Northern Raider wrote: September 8, 2019, 5:01 pm I think Cleary is better at getting average teams to play above themselves and not as good at handling the more talented rosters. Next year will be interesting if they miss the finals again.
This is where I'll never understand how some fans in the game rate coaches. I've seen guys like Bellamy discredited because he's seemingly had talent at his disposal, whereas the guy overachieving with seemingly inferior roster is held in greater regard - despite finishing lower on the table. The mind boggles.

The aim of the game is to win it all, that's the hardest thing to achieve. You then need to back that up season after season. You don't get a trophy for punching above your weight, nor does anyone remember you in time. Further to that, in a salary capped competition it is that coaches direct responsbility to get the right talent for the best price, instead of signing planks like Moses Mbye and Josh Reynolds for huge money.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

afgtnk wrote: once again coming in like Thaiday in his prime from the cheap seats, adding nothing of substance to the debate. Agreed, great stuff.
Frankly, I just like typing your name
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

afgtnk wrote:
Northern Raider wrote: September 8, 2019, 5:01 pm I think Cleary is better at getting average teams to play above themselves and not as good at handling the more talented rosters. Next year will be interesting if they miss the finals again.
This is where I'll never understand how some fans in the game rate coaches. I've seen guys like Bellamy discredited because he's seemingly had talent at his disposal, whereas the guy overachieving with seemingly inferior roster is held in greater regard - despite finishing lower on the table. The mind boggles.

The aim of the game is to win it all, that's the hardest thing to achieve. You then need to back that up season after season. You don't get a trophy for punching above your weight, nor does anyone remember you in time. Further to that, in a salary capped competition it is that coaches direct responsbility to get the right talent for the best price, instead of signing planks like Moses Mbye and Josh Reynolds for huge money.
I actually have to say I agree with afjfkvkfmrvk largely here

The way this forum discredits Craig Bellamy’s incredible record really blows me away at times
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

afgtnk wrote: September 8, 2019, 4:13 pm Surely the myth of Ivan Cleary being some kind of underrated supercoach will finally be put to bed. Handed a squad chock full of talent, coming off the back of a fifth place finish, and this is what he manages to dish out.

Yep..

And remember they got rid of Anthony Griffin to"go in another direction".. :)
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Oh..

And congrats must go to the Knights. Stinking it up til the very end.

Mad Monday tomorrow..the town braces itself. !
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

They've been celebrating mad Monday for nearly 2 months now.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I think Ivan Cleary is a good coach, but i dont believe he'll succeed coaching his son. I dont believe that's a dynamic that can work, and it's clearly hurt Nathan's form and development this season imo.
i said this would be a fiasco from the onset.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

The Rickman wrote:
afgtnk wrote:Doucheman once again coming in like Thaiday in his prime from the cheap seats, adding nothing of substance to the debate. Agreed, great stuff.
Frank is asleep
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

-PJ- wrote:
afgtnk wrote: September 8, 2019, 4:13 pm Surely the myth of Ivan Cleary being some kind of underrated supercoach will finally be put to bed. Handed a squad chock full of talent, coming off the back of a fifth place finish, and this is what he manages to dish out.

Yep..

Which direction is that?
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

reptar wrote:
The Rickman wrote:
afgtnk wrote:Doucheman once again coming in like Thaiday in his prime from the cheap seats, adding nothing of substance to the debate. Agreed, great stuff.
Frank is asleep

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

reptar wrote:
-PJ- wrote:

Yep..

Which direction is that?
Backwards

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Or broke from paying 7 different coaches

reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

dubby wrote:
reptar wrote:
-PJ- wrote:

Yep..

Which direction is that?
Backwards

Twirling towards freedom?
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

I. Am. CLIN-TON.

afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

PigRickman wrote: September 8, 2019, 7:24 pm I think Ivan Cleary is a good coach, but i dont believe he'll succeed coaching his son. I dont believe that's a dynamic that can work, and it's clearly hurt Nathan's form and development this season imo.
i said this would be a fiasco from the onset.
I simply don't understand how anyone can still think that.

Dude's first stint at the Panthers has him miss the finals three out of four years.

He goes to the Tigers for two years, misses the finals both years, and loads the squad with a rag-tag bunch of average players on huge salaries and has beens.

Comes back to a Panthers side brimming with the talent having made the semis three years straight under Griffin, tipped by all to make a deeper run, and runs 10th.

As far as coaches go, he's the biggest fraud of them all.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I think I have to agree with afggjgkrlele on this one. I used to rate Cleary as a coach, but if those seven years happened at the Raiders I'd be absolutely furious.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

There is some mitigating circumstances around this panthers season
Firstly there was clearly an issue between Gould and Cleary, Gould never wanted to hire him and felt like he had to in order to retain Nathan
There was also players caught up in that explicit film leaking stuff, and multiple players departing, some of them fairly key including DWZ.

It was a rotten year, no question. But it’s pretty weird to hold the tigers job against him, he walked into that gig with that team needing a complete rebuild and he got them playing well above their talent level... success is defined by achieving realistic expectations... dean pay was a successful coach this year, his team finished well above its talent level, Cleary did the same with the tigers

Again, I don’t think this panthers job will work out. I just don’t think father son coaching thing will work. But I do think Cleary did good work at the warriors and tigers, and so far his panthers stints, both of them have been failures

Certainly I understand people who are out on him now, that’s deserved. But I’m not there yet
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

PigRickman wrote: September 10, 2019, 7:57 am There is some mitigating circumstances around this panthers season
Firstly there was clearly an issue between Gould and Cleary, Gould never wanted to hire him and felt like he had to in order to retain Nathan
There was also players caught up in that explicit film leaking stuff, and multiple players departing, some of them fairly key including DWZ.

It was a rotten year, no question. But it’s pretty weird to hold the tigers job against him, he walked into that gig with that team needing a complete rebuild and he got them playing well above their talent level... success is defined by achieving realistic expectations... dean pay was a successful coach this year, his team finished well above its talent level, Cleary did the same with the tigers

Again, I don’t think this panthers job will work out. I just don’t think father son coaching thing will work. But I do think Cleary did good work at the warriors and tigers, and so far his panthers stints, both of them have been failures

Certainly I understand people who are out on him now, that’s deserved. But I’m not there yet
What? Mate, he loaded that squad with utter junk himself! :lol:

I get that he had rebuilding to do - loads of coaches have to, rebuilding is one the main tasks of any coach in the NRL. He didn't do it. In fact, he did the complete opposite. Performance wise yes you can take it into consideration when you walk into a club, but that excuse wears a bit thin when you're botching the rebuild yourself.

Can you imagine the outrage on here directed towards Sticky if we signed the likes of Mbye and Reynolds to long term deals on ~$800k(+) each?