NRL Nines 2020

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

NRL Nines 2020

Post by Botman »

Perth wins bid to host return of NRL club Nines

Perth will host the club-based NRL nines competition when the pre-season event returns to the calendar next year.

While the contract hasn’t officially been inked, the city will pip Newcastle and Melbourne’s bids to stage the return of the abbreviated version of the game. The matches will be staged at the 20,000-seat HBF Stadium, the home of A-League side Perth Glory.

Read more: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/perth- ... 52i8z.html

Looks like it's coming back.

Which i think could be a really good thing BUT I think they should mix the format up a bit...
And maybe this doesnt work and it'd be bad, but how many times are we going to reboot the 9's or 7's only to see it flame out each year before we accept we might need something different.

Here's my idea...

Have each NRL Team nominate the players from their sqaud they want involved and a captain.
The captain and coaches of each club then draft the remaining players to form mixed squads, to avoid teams just picking their own dudes out of team loyalty, you ban them from taking a player from their own team within the first 5 rounds.

Have prize money for the players involved, 4 million all up... 2 mil for the winning team (that's 130k per player for a 15 man squad), 1 mil for the runners up (65k each) and 1mil for each player of the team voted by the fans as being the most entertaining team of the tournment (65k each)... at least try to entice some of the best to put their hand up

players hurt can be assessed by their own team's people since they'll all be on site anyways so you avoid concerns about teams treating their guys for injuries and how that's managed.

And it's a randomised knock out... so once the teams are drafted, your randomise the bracket and play it down till the end. Could be best 3 series, or best of 2 with score aggrigate declaring the winner.

RL would OWN the sports calander in the lead up to this event, papers and fans would be talking about who's going to draft who, the prestige of being the #1 pick would be cool, you can get players and coaches together who you dont normally see, and every game has someone from your team in it, so you've kind of got someone to root for each game

I just think if you're going to do, do it with a fresh take... and maybe this isnt the right take, someone will surely come up with a better idea than me but i just dont think you can just pick up a concept that has failed so often and just move it to a new venue and run it back and expect it to succeed.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Re: NRL Nines 2020

Post by The Nickman »

tl/dr

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Too many points in one post to discuss each in a single reply to I'll focus on proposed proposed draft format first. I like the idea of mixing it up a bit. Along the lines of the Big Bash. I think the players would embrace it too as they get to mix with others on the field without the pressure of rep footy

Timing would be key as it couldn't impact on the pre-season trials. I don't like the idea of this type of event messing up club's preparations and no doubt coaches would feel the same way. As such it would need to be early Feb or even late Jan.

Being teams mixed up of players from multiple clubs you could really make them club teams. Would need to come up with new names. By doing so you could also reduce the number of teams. Something like 10 teams in 2 divisions. Each plays 4 prelim matches then you have the cross over finals format.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Rickman wrote: August 20, 2019, 1:49 pm tl/dr

Worth a read, good post, interesting concept.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: August 20, 2019, 1:58 pm Too many points in one post to discuss each in a single reply to I'll focus on proposed proposed draft format first. I like the idea of mixing it up a bit. Along the lines of the Big Bash. I think the players would embrace it too as they get to mix with others on the field without the pressure of rep footy

Timing would be key as it couldn't impact on the pre-season trials. I don't like the idea of this type of event messing up club's preparations and no doubt coaches would feel the same way. As such it would need to be early Feb or even late Jan.

Being teams mixed up of players from multiple clubs you could really make them club teams. Would need to come up with new names. By doing so you could also reduce the number of teams. Something like 10 teams in 2 divisions. Each plays 4 prelim matches then you have the cross over finals format.
Yeah you could mess with it a bit and shorten the teams and tidy it up that way... i just saw this news and was like "this again? How do we fix it" and threw together my thoughts on the fly... it's just hard to imagine that the 9's as it was in Sydney/Aukland will now suddenly be a raging success just by moving it to Perth.

Something has to change to give it a fresh approach
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

PigRickman wrote: August 20, 2019, 2:17 pm
Northern Raider wrote: August 20, 2019, 1:58 pm Too many points in one post to discuss each in a single reply to I'll focus on proposed proposed draft format first. I like the idea of mixing it up a bit. Along the lines of the Big Bash. I think the players would embrace it too as they get to mix with others on the field without the pressure of rep footy

Yeah you could mess with it a bit and shorten the teams and tidy it up that way... i just saw this news and was like "this again? How do we fix it" and threw together my thoughts on the fly... it's just hard to imagine that the 9's as it was in Sydney/Aukland will now suddenly be a raging success just by moving it to Perth.

I would have probably gone if they played it at the new Stadium. At the proposed Stadium... probably not. It’s a pretty low quality venue. Can’t say that’s “an experience” like going to Eden Park. It’s not like I haven’t been to Perth before.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: August 20, 2019, 2:20 pm

I would have probably gone if they played it at the new Stadium. At the proposed Stadium... probably not. It’s a pretty low quality venue. Can’t say that’s “an experience” like going to Eden Park. It’s not like I haven’t been to Perth before.
Ferg... people like you, and Rickman, and Bay53 etc... you sort of people will go to this sort of event some years and not others depending on circumstances in that year, and that'll be the case until the day you die, and it is what it is. But the concept have proven it cant survive because unfortunately there just isnt enough of your type of fan.

They've got to come up with something that gets some of the more casual fans interested in going and paying attention to it.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

PigRickman wrote: August 20, 2019, 2:25 pm
greeneyed wrote: August 20, 2019, 2:20 pm

Ferg... people like you, and Rickman, and Bay53 etc... you sort of people will go to this sort of event some years and not others depending on circumstances in that year, and that'll be the case until the day you die, and it is what it is. But the concept have proven it cant survive because unfortunately there just isnt enough of your type of fan.

They've got to come up with something that gets some of the more casual fans interested in going and paying attention to it.
I’m not against mixing it up and making it fresh.

I think this sort of event is tied up with destination tourism to a significant extent though. It’s the overall “experience” that counts. If my team was playing at the new Perth Stadium or Adelaide Oval, I’d probably attend... it’s a city “escape” for weekend, with a unique experience, seeing your team at these stadiums.

I had a great time at the Nines in Auckland, as I got to explore the city and surrounds... there were other public events in the lead up, featuring your team... and then a great experience at Eden Park... in part because I got the corporate tickets in a venue that offers great facilities. It was a party atmosphere in the streets of the city in the lead up. It waned in Auckland as familiarity bred contempt. There was nothing new to see in Auckland after a few years.

New destinations offer new experiences, but it has to be the whole package. Attending the proposed stadium in Perth isn’t too appealing.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote: August 20, 2019, 2:05 pm
The Rickman wrote: August 20, 2019, 1:49 pm tl/dr

Worth a read, good post, interesting concept.
Haha look, to be fair, I actually did read the post, and to be honest it's exactly the sort of ground-breaking, free-thinking and outside-of-the-box type of idea that the NRL would absolutely completely ignore.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Raiders by 8.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

I like the idea. This is something that I think would work during the Fuiverse’s All Star weekend, which begins the Friday before Grand Final, and concludes Sunday before the GF.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

-PJ- wrote:Raiders by 8.
FTS Jordy Raps
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Perth to host NRL Nines

Perth will host the return of the NRL and NRLW Nines in 2020 with a two-day summer festival of footy.

Fans will be asked to wear their boldest and brightest summer outfits for the competition at HBF Park on Friday 14 February and Saturday 15 February.

NRL Head of Elite Football, Graham Annesley today joined West Australian Tourism Minister, Paul Papalia and Sports Minister, Mick Murray at Scarborough Beach to launch the event.

All 16 NRL and 4 NRLW Clubs will participate across the two days. NRL Nines will feature four men's pools and up to 25 matches, while the women's clubs will complete in a round-robin style tournament.

Mr Annesley said Perth was the perfect venue to host the event on the back of the overwhelming success of Holden State of Origin this year.

"The sell-out crowd in Perth for State of Origin highlighted how much interest West Australians have in rugby league and we are committed to growing the game here," he said.

"There are few better destinations than summer in Perth and we want this event to be a summer vibes festival. We’re looking forward to seeing a stadium of colour to kick-off our 2020 season."

Mr Annesley said Nines would showcase the best rugby league talent from across the game.

"Nine's is the fastest form of our game. It shows the speed, agility and attacking prowess of our most exciting players. There's a lot on the line this year - any club who can win both the Nines and the NRL Telstra Premiership Grand Final will collect $1 million in prizemoney for the season."

WA Tourism Minister, Paul Papalia said the state was excited to land another major NRL event.

"We're thrilled to have locked in the best in Rugby League, playing in the fun, fast, Nine's format," he said.

"We have earned our stripes by hosting some blockbuster NRL games in Perth, showing just how popular the sport is here in WA and how well we host big events.

"This is another chance for people to get their mates together and enjoy another rugby league first for WA with the Nines tournament."

Mr Annesley thanked the West Australian Government for their commitment to rugby league.

"Our partnership with the WA Government is growing stronger every year. Their commitment to hosting rugby league events in Perth will inject more visitors into the city and more money into the local economy."

Two day passes will go on sale from tomorrow for club members and on Thursday for the general public.

Single day passes will be available for club members from Monday 4 November while single day passes will go on sale for the general public on Tuesday 5 November.

Tickets are available from www.nrl.com/tickets

Ticketing overiew
A range of ticketing options are available, with two-day passes starting from $55 for club members and $60 for general public.

Friday tickets are from $20 for club members or $25 for general public and Saturday tickets are from $35 for club members or $40 for general public.

Fans are also able to purchase into an Active Zone, which will include music, merchandise and other benefits.

Event timings
Friday 14 February: Game 1 starts at 4:05pm
Saturday 15 February: Game 1 starts at 11:10am

Travel
Official NRL Travel packages, including NRL Nine’s tickets, accommodation options and exclusive experiences with NRL Legends can be purchased via www.nrl.com/travel

NRL media release

NRL Nines confirmed for 2020 return in Perth: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/10/22/nrl ... -in-perth/
Danaman137
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Danaman137 »

Pig’s concept is awesome and I’d be very interested in that!

But as it stands I just can’t get too excited by it due to the risk of injury for little reward. I’m sure once the weekend rolls around I’ll watch it and enjoy rooting for the Raiders but I’ll have my heart in my throat the entire time.

But yes, Pig’s concept is something I’d be all over. Could have a retired player round in the draft aswell, each team submits once retired player (bring back Schiff!) and they get mixed up just as everyone else does.

Danaman137
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Danaman137 »

On the discussion of the venue, I’ve been to HBF stadium and it certainly isn’t one that would support this sort of event very well. But i suppose it’s the only option in Perth. Can’t use Optus, WACA or Subiaco as the crowd size would look minuscule on tv (not to mention they’re all circular).

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Members ticket presale opened this afternoon... Tickets very well priced, $99 for a two day pass. Cheapest $55 at the north and south ends, $99 for the east.

No seats being made available to members on the western side, none at all.

No way I'd take seats in that eastern stand, as there is no cover. It'll be hot in summer... or you get drenched!