If you were the next Gold Coast Titans coach

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Re: Gold Coast Titans 2019

Post by Matt »

If you were the next Titans coach

Phil Gould says incoming Gold Coast Titans coach Justin Holbrook should get rid of close to all of his squad, and keep just three players.

I totally understand where Gus is coming from here, but let’s face it, you can’t clean house like that, it will cost you too much. However, I thought it would be interesting to look at what you would do if you were put in charge of the Titans? I did something similar with the Raiders last year as a scouting thread. I thought it would be more interesting to look at a neutral club, esp one in turmoil.

The things I looked at were:

Who should be re-signed?

Who should go?

Who do you bring in? (Remembering you want a balanced squad, and you need to give at least 2 options because you cant sign everyone)

Off contract players: https://www.zerotackle.com/rugby-league ... ract-2019/

Given this is the NRL, and contracts can be broken, lets add a 'player told he can look elsewhere'. If you do this, you need a good outlining of:

A. Where they would go - try to be realistic

B. What kind of contract split is involved, esp if its more that 1yr to run.

A couple of ground rules for this:

1. Club has given you til 2021 to play finals.

2. Club has given you the purse strings and ultimate selection power.

Also give us a predicted 17 for seasons 2020, 2021.

Titans roster in contract order (this is current as of today):

Jesse Arthars
Brenko Lee
Ryley Jacks
Kea Pere (?)
Michael Gordon
Darius Farmer (?)
Jack Stockwell
Will Matthews (Team Option 2020)

AJ Brimson
Anthony Don
Dale Copley
Phillip Sami
Tyrone Roberts
Jai Arrow
Keegan Hipgrave
Kevin Proctor @550K
Leilani Latu @500K
Nathan Peats @600K
Ryan James @700K
Sam Stone
Treymain Spry (Team Option 2021)

Ash Taylor @1M
Brian Kelly
Kallum Watkins
Tanah Boyd
Tyrone Peachey @600K
Bryce Cartwright @600K
Jai Whitbread
Mitch Rein
Moeaki Fotuaika

Jarrod Wallace @600K
Shannon Boyd @600K

Prices are the media quoted figures, so take them with a grain of salt.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Re: If you were the next Gold Coast Titans coach

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Oh boy, this is going to be fun! I’ll need to fire up Excel, and find somewhere to hide in the office so I can do this proper.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Good thread... i have a feeling that most who respond will just clean house and start again, but you have to ask, with what? WHo are you getting in to replace them? and can they win games? Because if you've just moved on a bunch of plodders who established a losing culture for another bunch of plodders who will establish another losing culture, then you'll be out of a job in 3 years time

The other problem is because the NRL is **** and dont release salaries, we dont really know what these guys are on and thus what value they really bring... Will Matthews is a keep at 130-150k. He's a walk for more than that.

Let's start with who you keep.

AJ Brimson, he's probably the most talented guy in the team... you've got the find the right position for him. It's probably fullback. But im not set on that yet.

Anthony Don, he's no superstar, he's probably not being paid like one but he's solid enough, does his job and seems like the sort of hard worker you want when rebuilding.

Jai Arrow, should be the pillar of their pack moving forward. Build the pack around him.

Kevin Proctor, i know people dont like him but he's a damn good player, and at $550k that's a reasonable deal for a guy who's been around successful organisations and is mostly a pretty professional guy. I'd keep him.

Nathan Peats, hookers are hard to find and he's not great but he's definitely solid enough to get by for now. I dont see any options around good enough to replace him

Ryan James, again, you want to establish a culture of winning and work ethic. I dont much care for the guy, think he's massively overrated but there is no doubt he's a good NRL player and provides the team with some much needed mungrel.

Shannon Boyd, i know ill get grief from this, because he's not lived up to that contract and probably never will. But that's a sunk cost now. NO one is taking him without you paying significant freight. I'd be focused as a new coach about trying to get him back to what got him a Roo's jersey. I wouldnt give up on him just yet.

Ash Taylor, again, he's expensive but what options are avilable? halves are a **** show around the league. He's not a superstar, and he's flawed but there just isnt guys available that would be an upgrade. So you eat **** on the contract and do what you can.

Kallum Watkins, i havent really seen much of him in top grade yet but he's a pom playing in a bad team. Highly regarded one too, so you hang on for now and see if a new coaching staff can get something from him.

Jarred Wallace, again no superstar but he's played some games for QLD and aquitted himself quite well. He's good enough and again one of those dudes you want to to help establish a new culture.

Id want to keep Tyrone Peachey too but it seems he's not wanting to be there, if you could get him invested again, that's a talented guy worth keeping. But he's of little use as a player who wants out.

1. Brimson
2. Don
3. Watkins
7. Taylor
8. James
9. Peats
10. Boyd
11. Proctor
13. Arrow

15. Wallace

Start there, let everyone* else go

*a few names there i know nothing about, so if they are young and talented then obviously those guys need to be kept.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

I think there is enough talent in the roster. Coach needs to try and get the best out of it. Too many players have gone backward in their time there.

It's up to Holbrook now to reverse that trend. Think about all the players in that line up and the best footy they have played in the past. Get them back somewhere near that level and you would see a very good team. Coach now has to find out who's ready to buy in with that. If they're not then show them the door.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

This is hard without knowing contract values and Super League contract lengths.

Not re-signed:
Jesse Arthars (already at the broncos)
Brenko Lee
Ryley Jacks
Kea Pere
Michael Gordon
Darius Farmer
Jack Stockwell

Letting go:
Dale Copley - Super League
Leilani Latu - Super League. Really hard to move on though.
Tyrone Peachey - A sydney team. Dogs need players. 50/50 first year then nothing after that.

Reserve Grade: (replaced by)
Anthony Don (Simonsson)
Tyrone Roberts (Sezer)
Keegan Hipgrave (Glenn)
Phillip Sami (Hunt)
Shannon Boyd (Tetevano) - Sad to say but he might be convinced to move on. Also coming back from an injury.
Jai Whitbread
Tanah Boyd - Depending on cap he might actually have to be their 7 with Ash Taylor at 6. Roberts isn't working at the moment.
Sam Stone
Treymain Spry
Will Matthews

Top 17 Round 1 2020:
1. Alex Brimson
2. Bailey Simonsson - Offer him a starting spot and a 3 year deal.
3. Kallum Watkins
4. Brian Kelly
5. Hymel Hunt - Off contract at the knights.
6. Aidan Sezer - Raiders need to move him. Offer him a home. Raiders to cover part of the first year.
7. Ash Taylor
8. Ryan James
9. Nathan Peats
10. Zane Tetevano - Off contract at the roosters. Offer him a starting spot then once he gets suspended give it to Fotuaika. 2 year deal.
11. Kevin Proctor
12. Alex Glenn - Off contract at the broncos. Make him a co-captain. 2 year deal.
13. Jai Arrow

14. Mitch Rein
15. Bryce Cartwright
16. Moeaki Fotuaika
17. Jarred Wallace

It's a bit of a cluster, probably better than they can do and still capable of missing the 8.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

If I were the coach, this is how I would approach it:

On face value, this is what I would be doing with the roster year by year:
Jesse Arthars – (Broncos)
Brenko Lee – Release
Ryley Jacks – Release
Kea Pere (?) – No clue, at worst is a min wager. Development player?
Michael Gordon – Retire
Darius Farmer (?) – No clue, at worst is a min wager. Development player?
Jack Stockwell – Release
Will Matthews (Team Option 2020) – Release

AJ Brimson – Keep. Pay him!
Anthony Don – Release
Dale Copley – Keep. Experienced depth.
Phillip Sami – Keep. Young talent.
Tyrone Roberts – Keep, short term 1-2yrs max.
Jai Arrow – Mega bucks!
Keegan Hipgrave – Release. Loose cannon. Talented though.
Kevin Proctor @550K – Keep, short term 1-2yrs max.
Leilani Latu @500K – Tell him to look elsewhere, but Release 2020.
Nathan Peats @600K – Tell him to look elsewhere, but Release 2020.
Ryan James @700K – Keep. Renegotiate $$$
Sam Stone – Keep.
Treymain Spry (Team Option 2021) – No clue, at worst is a min wager. Development player?

Ash Taylor @1M – Tell him to look elsewhere, but Release 2021. – will be $$$ ☹
Brian Kelly – Keep. Been their best back in 2019.
Kallum Watkins – Too early to know but Keep.
Tanah Boyd – Keep. Young talented half.
Tyrone Peachey @600K – Tell him to look elsewhere, but Release 2021. – will be $$$ ☹
Bryce Cartwright @600K – Tell him to look elsewhere, but Release 2021. – will be $$$ ☹
Jai Whitbread – Keep. Solid depth at worst.
Mitch Rein – Release in 2021
Moeaki Fotuaika – Keep. Stud middle of the future.

Jarrod Wallace @600K – Keep, SOO player, but tempted to tell him to look around.
Shannon Boyd @600K – Tell him to look elsewhere – will be $$$ ☹

2019 trades for start of 2020

The 1st thing to address is the culture of coming north for a ‘holiday lifestyle’. I’m sure others have tried and failed, but this is pro sport, so I want to nip that is the bud as best I can. My method for doing this is to look for competitors, and/ or kids looking for a taste/ chance.

Without addressing the potential releases etc, I have 5 spots to fill, with Lee, Gordon, Jacks, Matthews and Stockwell all on my OUTs list. I suspect that there isn’t a great deal of cap being freed up here though. Gordon would be on ok money, Lee signed a decent contract when he left us, but that was a contract ago. Jacks is on low half money, and the other two would be bottom dollar.

It’s not exactly an imposing backline for next year, so finding a diamond or at worst competition for spots/ depth is what I’m looking for to replace Lee and Gordon. The experienced outside back options are Hymel Hunt, Javid Bowen, Richie Kennar, or backs utility Ben Hampton. Alternatively, I look to some youth in Gideon Gela-Mosby or Enari Tuala from Cowboys, though I can see these two getting a decent crack at Cowboys next year. I think the only option here is probably Kennar, as the rest will be too expensive or important to their current club, but I don’t like it.

Next year’s options are a little better, but not much, with Michael Oldfield, Kerrod Holland, Sione Katoa (Sharks), Justin Olam, Mikaele Ravalawa, Robert Jennings or Marika Sivo. I don’t think I have the money for a Holland or Sivo, as they are starters at their clubs. I already have a couple of season campaigners, so I don’t need Oldfield. With Feki leaving, I think Katoa gets a run next year. Ravalawa is my wildcard, as the Dragons have a bit of an outside back problem now with too many and not enough spots; money might be an issue though. Robert Jennings is an option, and I think a decent one, as he might get pushed out of the Tigers. Id chase Olam, as he is an all effort player, and gets him closer to his PNG home.

My team is stacked with props, but those props are also lacking in the ‘heart’ department. So, for one of my two forward selections I’m looking at Lachlan Timm, the current NSW Cup leading forward, who Mary McGregor keeps passing over, who you probably won’t get at bottom dollar, but might be an option if you offer him a top 17 spot. Alternatively the out of favour Daniel Alvaro who will toil away for as long as you leave him out there. I also like the potential versatility and depth option in Corey Jensen, who can play on the edge if required and should cost me too much.

As I mentioned, I’m seriously lacking in the edge backrower department, especially with Peachey and Cartwright being flops. I’m also a little lacking in the leadership department too. With one of my other selections Id firstly look at Alex Glenn on a 2-year deal on Gordon money. Keeps him in QLD, and the NRL and gives me a reliable player, experienced, winning player to pair with Proctor and protect my half defensively. Joel Thompson could be that guy too, and he brings off field presence too. If I’m forced down the youth route, Scott Sorenson, Jack Gosiewski, or Dean Britt would be options. Britt and Gosiewski (unless I get Thompson) are stuck behind others at their clubs, while Sorenson might be 1st reserve next year, rather than 2nd.

Half is the tricky one, as Ryley Jacks would be reasonably cheap, so the options are only the rookies on the market in Sean O’Sullivan, who himself was overlooked for youth at Bronco’s, and Cade Cust, who looked good at Manly til his HIA, or even Billy Walters, a famous QLD name, from Storm’s system. Ill be honest, I like all 3 options here. I suspect Cust stays and Manly and they cut Croker, who I don’t want, not even as a stop gap. Walter’s is an option to push Croft out, so that would be interesting, but also, by taking this job his dad doesn’t get it. I still like my chances as a QLD club of getting him though. I think O’Sullivan is good option and strengthens if I were to move Taylor back to Brisbane.

Which leads me to the Ash Taylor conundrum. I can see a half merry-go-round happening at Bronco’s and Dogs. The big thing here is that moving on Ash Taylor on 1M is going to be a tough sell and could cost up to 500K in freight for the next three years. So, keep that in mind. Because of this, I don’t think its worth going down that road. Halves are thin on the ground anyway.

The return of Aidan Sezer wouldn’t be a horrible choice, especially as he would return, and it would be his team to lead, but as the Raiders are going well now, he will have a decent price tag. As much as I need to win sooner rather than later, I’m not sure I can afford it. However, looking at the options for next year and beyond, there are a host of options at Bulldogs, Lachlan Lewis, Jack Coggar and Brandon Wakeham, surely, they don’t keep them all. Then there is Josh Reynolds, who has been told to look elsewhere, and easily fits the ‘competitors’ mantra I want, he also gives me a utility hooker option down the track where I’m short next year. However, he was touted to be 900K, so there is freight required here too.

I’m ruling out Sezer as his value won’t fit the cap left over, and Reynolds seems a bridge too far too, even if I sell Taylor. Both Sezer and Reynolds were talked as options to the Dogs, and while I think Foran is so close to an injury forced retirement it’s not funny, I figure Ill get one of these three, in order, Lewis, Coggar, Wakeham, and avoid the three rookies altogether.

Trades:
Lee > Olam
Gordon > Ravalawa
Jacks > Lewis
Stockwell > Timms
Matthews > Glenn

Ill ignore the possibility mid-year transfers as that’s just too hard.

My Rd 1 2020 team:

1. Brimson
2. Ravalawa
3. Kelly
4. Watkins
5. Sami
6. Lewis/ Roberts
7. Taylor
8. Wallace
9. Rein
10. James
11. Proctor
12. Glenn
13. Arrow

14. Peachey*
15. Fotu
16. Carty*
17. Timms

Olam, Don, Copley, Hipgrave, Stone, Whitbread, Latu*, Peats*, T. Boyd, S Boyd*

[2020 trades for start of 2021

I need to find four players this year, to replace and aging Anthony Don, Nathan Peats, Leilani Latu and Keegan Hipgrave.

For Hipgrave, I’m going to look at one of Raymond Falita-Marina or Nat Butcher. I see two guys who are handy edge players who can play middle too. I think RFM is a good attacking weapon, as he has a good offload in him, and was the Dogs best forward last year, before being overlooked this year. He is my first choice, as I need someone who can create points. Nat Butcher has played the Ryan Matterson role this year, and would be a very solid top 17 player, who strengthens my team defence.

For Latu I’m looking at Corey Waddell or Lachlan Burr. Burr has proved at Warriors that he has the motor, toughness and ability to perform in the middle. Though Id be more likely to give Waddell a run. He is stuck behind players at Manly, can play middle or edge, and I can offer him regular top 17 football. As he is a rookie, I should make a decent cap save here.

Hooker is tough, as there are lots of has beens, so Im going to go after the two heir apparents at their clubs, Billy Brittain and Harry Grant. Brittian is stuck behind Cook, who isn’t going anywhere. Grant may well get minutes next year, but that all depends on how Melbourne use Brandon Smith, and of course if Cam Smith goes around again, which is still on the cards. I can offer them a bench role at worst.

Don needs to replaced with a younger, but bigger body back, good out of his own end, and probably still needs to be on the cheap. Sione Katoa, maybe a Bailey Simmonson, Jordan Pereira, or even Robert or George Jennings. A smokey would be someone like David Nofoaluma.

I will be looking to ship Peachey and Cartwright early. I have no idea where, but my inclination is ‘home’ to Panthers. The idea is to find a mid-level or cheaper back and edge player, backing some more cap to chase a big fish next year. I won’t include these in my trades.

Shannon Boyd is another I’m trying to ship somewhere, but that coin is crazy stuff. So, freight will be a big issue. No clue where, outside of Raiders. Tigers might be on the prowl for a prop, as might Dogs, or even Cows in a year or two.

Im now a little further down the road with Taylor too. Hopefully I have a better idea here, but also, hopefully Tanah Boyd is a bit older and a bit more developed to make a call on him being NRL ready.

Trades:
Hipgrave > RFM
Latu> Waddell
Peats > Brittian
Don> Jennings

Ill ignore the possibility mid-year transfers as that’s just too hard.

My Rd 1 2021 team:

1. Brimson
2. Ravalawa
3. Kelly
4. Watkins
5. Sami/ Jennings
6. Lewis/ Roberts
7. Taylor
8. Wallace
9. Rein
10. James
11. Proctor
12. Glenn
13. Arrow

14. Brittian
15. Fotu
16. Waddell
17. Timms

RFM, Peachey*, Roberts, Olam, Copley, Stone, Whitbread, Carty*, T. Boyd, S Boyd*
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

@Zim and @PigRickman,
Good posts.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Great post but I think you've rolled a few too many dices their Matt. That's a lot of rookies in your top 17 and the spine arguably hasn't improved for your 2021 finals tilt.

I think the common issue from all our squads is they are totally **** for the next 2 years unless they can get something more from the big money guys they are stuck with.

Adding in a couple of super league players looking for opportunity would help. If they could pick up an experienced 6 and forward to add to your squad it looks a lot better.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

zim wrote: August 7, 2019, 4:48 pm Great post but I think you've rolled a few too many dices their Matt. That's a lot of rookies in your top 17 and the spine arguably hasn't improved for your 2021 finals tilt.

I think the common issue from all our squads is they are totally **** for the next 2 years unless they can get something more from the big money guys they are stuck with.

Adding in a couple of super league players looking for opportunity would help. If they could pick up an experienced 6 and forward to add to your squad it looks a lot better.
My bench is young, sure, but their cap is totally up the creek, so until you rectify that you are stuffed. The only way to do that is to punt on a few young blokes while you ride out some freight, then you can buy a few studs.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

So 2022 is a more realistic year to be back in the 8?
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Many so called experts were tipping them for the top 8 at the start of the year, so like a few have pointed out there is enough talent there to build around. Sezer wouldn't be a bad option but do you go back to a guy that walked out before? And going after somebody like Maloney I think would have helped Taylor develop much more than Roberts has. Roberts has a few (individual) highlights in his game but too much downside. Matt suggested Hunt, which may or may not work given his incredibly mentally fragile. If they go with rookie halves they need a halves coach brought in.

Just looking at that forward pack, they should be better. They need a better style of play to use their pack as a strength. For all Cartwright's flaws he is a decent ball playing backrower - they need to use him better.

They could do worse than getting some old boys back involved with the club somehow. Preston and maybe Scott Prince?

Lastly I don't understand Holbrook only getting 2 years? It was the less safe option but back your man.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

gergreg wrote: August 7, 2019, 5:23 pm Many so called experts were tipping them for the top 8 at the start of the year, so like a few have pointed out there is enough talent there to build around. Sezer wouldn't be a bad option but do you go back to a guy that walked out before? And going after somebody like Maloney I think would have helped Taylor develop much more than Roberts has. Roberts has a few (individual) highlights in his game but too much downside. Matt suggested Hunt, which may or may not work given his incredibly mentally fragile. If they go with rookie halves they need a halves coach brought in.

Just looking at that forward pack, they should be better. They need a better style of play to use their pack as a strength. For all Cartwright's flaws he is a decent ball playing backrower - they need to use him better.

They could do worse than getting some old boys back involved with the club somehow. Preston and maybe Scott Prince?

Lastly I don't understand Holbrook only getting 2 years? It was the less safe option but back your man.

I didnt mention Hunt.
Maloney would have been a good option. The issue is, they dont have the cap to accommodate him.
I dont think they will be able to afford Sezer either. We have him on 600K. A half that takes his team to the Top 4, then potentially beyond is gonna get paid.

They certainly have a better team on paper than their performances suggest. They should be doing better.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

zim wrote: August 7, 2019, 5:10 pm So 2022 is a more realistic year to be back in the 8?
Matt is more of a 5 year plan kinda guy
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

I think Manly and the Warriors probably have an excess of halves at their clubs.

I’d be cutting Ash Taylor loose ASAP and replacing him with someone from that shallow pool.

He’s not worth anywhere near what he’s being paid. Another club can experiment with him and see if they can get him right. Right now, he’s not the right person at this crucial time for the club.

Their forward pack is ok. Backline needs some reinforcements. 1 more top quality outside back would be ideal.

Dale Copley or Brenko Lee should only be used in case of emergency.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Interesting news yesterday that Ben Walker has 'retired' as head coach of Ipswich Jets. Shane Walker moving from assistant to head coach next year.

Reckon 95% chance he'll be announced as new assistant at Gold Coast in the coming days. Means the Titans can hedge their bets with Holbrook. If he's not measuring up they have a ready made replacement who was in all likelihood their 2nd choice for the top job.

Of course another possibility is Walker will get the gig at Newcastle when they finally punt Brown.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

The cowboys may come into that mix soon too

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk

dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Paul Green has had a poor 2 years, he needs to improve his squad in a big way.

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

If I was coach of the Titans I would simply enjoy the weather, lifestyle and working on my tan.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

dubby wrote: August 9, 2019, 12:27 pm Paul Green has had a poor 2 years, he needs to improve his squad in a big way.

Greens biggest fault is not blooding young players when they are ready. He lost Ponga because of it. He nearly lost Clifford apparently.
His talented young outside backs, we for far too long getting passed over for the likes of O'Neill, Coote, Linnett and Winterstein.
He has held onto guys like Scott, Cooper and even Bolton a year too long.
Recruiting McGuire was a big fat mistake. He isnt a difference maker, even if he is an origin forward.

However, this is off topic. Its fix the Titoons, not the Cows
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

BJ wrote: August 9, 2019, 3:18 pm If I was coach of the Titans I would simply enjoy the weather, lifestyle and working on my tan.
Ah yes, the old 'if you cant beat them, join them' philosophy
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Matt wrote:
BJ wrote: August 9, 2019, 3:18 pm If I was coach of the Titans I would simply enjoy the weather, lifestyle and working on my tan.
Ah yes, the old 'if you cant beat them, join them' philosophy
Good point. Bellamy joins the players in their exercises at the Storm, I’ll join the Titans players in their efforts off the training paddock.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote: August 9, 2019, 3:18 pm
dubby wrote: August 9, 2019, 12:27 pm Paul Green has had a poor 2 years, he needs to improve his squad in a big way.

Greens biggest fault is not blooding young players when they are ready. He lost Ponga because of it. He nearly lost Clifford apparently.
His talented young outside backs, we for far too long getting passed over for the likes of O'Neill, Coote, Linnett and Winterstein.
Recruiting McGuire was a big fat mistake. He isnt a difference maker, even if he is an origin forward.

Way off the mark there Matt. They lost Ponga because the Knights threw an unbelievably big contract at an untested teenager. Cowboys had no hope of getting even close to that money as they were trying to keep a GF winning squad under the cap.

That said I do agree about sticking with players that have jumped the shark.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: August 9, 2019, 3:57 pm

Way off the mark there Matt. They lost Ponga because the Knights threw an unbelievably big contract at an untested teenager. Cowboys had no hope of getting even close to that money as they were trying to keep a GF winning squad under the cap.

They did, but look at Ponga vs the guys he upgraded post the GF. Most will be gone by the end of this yr. Id say its a fail for not having some foresight.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote: August 9, 2019, 4:22 pm

They did, but look at Ponga vs the guys he upgraded post the GF. Most will be gone by the end of this yr. Id say its a fail for not having some foresight.
THink you're talking more hindsight than foresight.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

To think we signed Proctor for $700k. I'm glad he reneged to sign for the Titans for less.

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Matt wrote: August 9, 2019, 4:22 pm

I agree. There was a line of discussion there that had Ponga staying for less than the knights offered and it never came to the table like he wanted. At the least you can see this philosophy in Green's other choices. Only recently has this started to changed and arguably because it's been forced rather than something Green has actively pursued.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

I heard the cows had Kikau at one stage?

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Kikau was a Cowboys junior. The reality of the cows is they had 2 - million dollar players on the books and it's really quite difficult to build a good squad around them, unless you're the Roosters.

9.5 mill minus 2 mill leaves an average of about 260k per player. I look at the Roosters squad and can't even begin to imagine how it is possible to keep together a squad like that.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: August 6, 2019, 4:29 pm Oh boy, this is going to be fun! I’ll need to fire up Excel, and find somewhere to hide in the office so I can do this proper.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
I keep stuffing up the cap in my play around!

I've whipped up an Excel table of players and when their contracts expire. Determined to keep them around until the contract runs out, because I don't like the idea of paying another team to play my guy
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Peachey has decided he wants to stay now. No idea where I'd play him in my side.... Maybe utility. Try and work a deal with the Eels to get Peats there and sign a min wage replacement. Start Rein and have Peachey come on after 25mins.
Sezer signing would be a no no. Their spine won't get any better until season 2021 when they can actually make some proper signings.
Long way back to the 8 from here.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

zim wrote:Peachey has decided he wants to stay now. No idea where I'd play him in my side.... Maybe utility. Try and work a deal with the Eels to get Peats there and sign a min wage replacement. Start Rein and have Peachey come on after 25mins.
Sezer signing would be a no no. Their spine won't get any better until season 2021 when they can actually make some proper signings.
Long way back to the 8 from here.
I’m toying around with him at Centre, with a move to 5/8 once I got rid of Roberts...

Nickman's love of NSW
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

I thought about that but he's just so bad at centre though. Makes bad defensive decisions. Finds it hard to make an impact against other players of the same speed when he's playing 80 too.
He'd need to do a 180 for me to pick him as my 80min centre.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

zim wrote: August 13, 2019, 4:41 pm I thought about that but he's just so bad at centre though. Makes bad defensive decisions. Finds it hard to make an impact against other players of the same speed when he's playing 80 too.
He'd need to do a 180 for me to pick him as my 80min centre.
I agree. I think he needs to be a bench lock, roaming middle, running forward. Which seems to be the way they have been using him lately - give or take his stint at 6. You want to get 50mins+++ out of him.

It means Arrow to prop, and while that's not going to affect his game too much, it has a flow on to others.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

The more I think about this, the more I think you tear is down.

Jesse Arthars – (Broncos)
Brenko Lee – Release
Ryley Jacks – Release
Michael Gordon – Retire 
Jack Stockwell – Release 
Will Matthews – Release 
Kea Pere (?) – No clue, at worst is a min wager. Development player?
Darius Farmer (?) – No clue, at worst is a min wager. Development player?

Leilani Latu @500K – Get him off the books (2020)
Nathan Peats @600K – Get him off the books (2020)

Ash Taylor @1M – Get him off the books, take whatever cap hit up to half his contract. (2021)
Bryce Cartwright @600K – Get him off the books, take whatever cap hit up to half his contract. (2021)

Shannon Boyd @600K – Get him off the books, take whatever cap hit up to half his contract. (2022)

AJ Brimson – Keep. Pay him!
Jai Arrow – Mega bucks!

Dale Copley – Keep. Experienced depth.
Phillip Sami – Keep. Young talent. 
Sam Stone – Keep. Solid young edge BR
Treymain Spry (Team Option 2021) – No clue, at worst is a min wager. Development player?

Ryan James @700K – Keep. Renegotiate $$$ OR incentives
Tyrone Roberts – Keep, short term 1-2yrs max.
Kevin Proctor @550K – Keep, short term 1-2yrs max. Renegotiate $$$ OR incentives, of these 3 named players, he would be the 1st I cut.

Anthony Don – Release 
Keegan Hipgrave – Release

Brian Kelly – Keep. Been their best back in 2019.
Kallum Watkins – Too early to know but Keep. 
Moeaki Fotuaika – Keep. Stud middle of the future. 
Tanah Boyd – Keep. Young talented half. 
Jai Whitbread – Keep. Solid depth at worst. 

Tyrone Peachey @600K – Keep.

Mitch Rein – Release

Jarrod Wallace @600K – Keep, short term 1-2yrs