2019 State of Origin III: New South Wales V Queensland: Teams and Game Day

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Who will win?

Blues 13+
No votes
Blues 1-12
57%
Maroons 1-12
29%
Maroons 13+
14%

Total votes: 7

Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Re: 2019 State of Origin III: New South Wales V Queensland: Teams and Game Day

Post by Sid »

The Rickman wrote: July 3, 2019, 11:49 am
Northern Raider wrote: July 3, 2019, 11:48 am
Sid wrote: July 2, 2019, 10:34 pm Suspended for 1 match. As a Blues and Raiders fan that was the worse possible outcome.
I thought it was a great outcome for the Blues. Klemmer is a far superior option to Sims.
It absolutely is, just like Maloney was far superior to Walker/Pearce. Just sucks they keep accidentally getting there haha.
I would've gone with Klemmer and Sims over Saifiti, but whichever 2 of the 3 were selected didn't matter as Sims is out
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

The Rickman wrote: July 3, 2019, 1:31 pm Haha so you're telling me Queensland's "knee-jerk" reaction was to put Billy Slater, Valentine Holmes and Johnathon Thurston into the team??

Come on now, this is getting embarrassing.
Total panic by QLD selectors. Can't believe they brought in Thurston for Milford. :roll:
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

The Rickman wrote: July 3, 2019, 1:31 pm Haha so you're telling me Queensland's "knee-jerk" reaction was to put Billy Slater, Valentine Holmes and Johnathon Thurston into the team??

Come on now, this is getting embarrassing.
Thurston was the only one unavailable for game one due to injury, Slater and Holmes were overlooked.

Likewise for NSW this year, Turbo and Graham were injured for game 1. Only Mitchell, Walker, and Crichton were dropped due to form. Cotric, Klemmer, and Haas were forced changes due to injury.

Walker was only there for game 1 because Keary was injured.

Kevvies 2017 game 2 changes were definitely a knee-jerk reaction, more so than Fittler's changes this year. And both were successful because of it.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Haha righto Finchy, whatever you say, m8
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Quite a significant effort to scrape together evidence to support this argument. Is it really that hard to accept NSW chop and change their side far more than QLD?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

The Rickman wrote: July 3, 2019, 2:13 pm Haha righto Finchy, whatever you say, m8
Is what I'm saying incorrect Rickman? FTR, I'm a QLD supporter.

Surely you can't deny Kevvie made a number of justified form related changes (which were the right call) for game 2 2017. This is GE-level bias if you think form-related team changes are a NSW thing only...
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

Northern Raider wrote: July 3, 2019, 2:14 pm Quite a significant effort to scrape together evidence to support this argument. Is it really that hard to accept NSW chop and change their side far more than QLD?
It's hardly a significant effort, nor a long bow to draw. There's no "scraping together" of evidence required, just a simple perusal of two very different 2017 QLD teams. Just cold hard facts, which seems to be upsetting you and Rickman's argument, as you're wrong.

Although I do concede NSW chop and change their side more than QLD.

But don't pretend QLD haven't done it, as in 2017 they clearly did.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

The Rickman wrote: July 3, 2019, 12:25 pm I dunno, just seems to me like you guys are just plucking series out of your arses trying to make something stick.

It's as ludicrous as Red suggesting us dropping one player is completely changing our lineup.
:D It only takes one to bust the 'pick and stick' balloon. I now realise how invested you are in the 'pick and stick' mantra. Understandable as it's been fed to you so long. If a side is not performing there should be changes. The SOO series should start to even up a bit more now. Qld had four absolute champions and all born in the same year, no less. I think Qld are very capable of winning the series this year, but NSW have to forget Game 2 and focus on getting the job done in Game 3. Time will tell but NSW have gone with hungry players who I think can get the job done.
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

Finchy wrote: July 3, 2019, 2:16 pm
The Rickman wrote: July 3, 2019, 2:13 pm Haha righto Finchy, whatever you say, m8

Surely you can't deny Kevvie made a number of justified form related changes (which were the right call) for game 2 2017. This is GE-level bias if you think form-related team changes are a NSW thing only...
why does a qld supporter have their username named after Field Goal Finchy?

Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

Sid wrote: July 3, 2019, 2:24 pm
Finchy wrote: July 3, 2019, 2:16 pm

why does a qld supporter have their username named after Field Goal Finchy?
My username has nothing to do with that scumbag
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Northern Raider wrote:Quite a significant effort to scrape together evidence to support this argument. Is it really that hard to accept NSW chop and change their side far more than QLD?
Haha it’s really taken quite a few goes to find one single example! And the example is where Queensland panicked and rushed Johnathon Thurston, Billy Slater and Valentine Holmes into the team!!

On the other side of the coin, New South Wales hadn’t done that since... last game
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

The Rickman wrote: July 3, 2019, 2:28 pm
Northern Raider wrote:Quite a significant effort to scrape together evidence to support this argument. Is it really that hard to accept NSW chop and change their side far more than QLD?
Haha it’s really taken quite a few goes to find one single example! And the example is where Queensland panicked and rushed Johnathon Thurston, Billy Slater and Valentine Holmes into the team!!

On the other side of the coin, New South Wales hadn’t done that since... last game
You're telling me NSW "knee jerk" reaction was to put Turbo, Maloney, and Graham into the team? Two of them were unavailable for game 1 due to injury.

Slater and Holmes were overlooked for game 1 2017 (not unavailable due to injury). So when they lost game 1, the knee-jerk reaction was to bring them in to replace Boyd and Oates, along with 5 other new players. Clearly Slater and Holmes are great players, so why weren't they there for game 1?

Whilst NSW obviously do it far more often than QLD, QLD have dropped plenty of players over the years due to form. (eg: Shillo, Guerra and others). Even Ben Hunt got demoted last year for DCE due to the results of game 1 and 2.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Finchy wrote: July 3, 2019, 2:35 pm

You're telling me NSW "knee jerk" reaction was to put Turbo, Maloney, and Graham into the team? Two of them were unavailable for game 1 due to injury.

Slater and Holmes were overlooked for game 1 2017 (not unavailable due to injury). So when they lost game 1, the knee-jerk reaction was to bring them in to replace Boyd and Oates, along with 5 other new players. Clearly Slater and Holmes are great players, so why weren't they there for game 1?

Whilst NSW obviously do it far more often than QLD, QLD have dropped plenty of players over the years due to form. (eg: Shillo, Guerra and others). Even Ben Hunt got demoted last year for DCE due to the results of game 1 and 2.
Nobody is claiming QLD never make changes. Its ridiculous to suggest thats the case. On the flip side its also ridiculous to use any such changes as evidence that they mess around with selections anywhere near as much as NSW do.
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

Cleary ruled out, Pearce is in for Game III

NSW 5th halves pairing for the series as the saviour returns

Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

Game I
6. Walker, 7. Cleary
14. Wighton, 7. Cleary

Game II
6. Maloney, 7. Cleary
14. Graham, 6. Maloney

Game III
6. Maloney, 7. Pearce (or vice versa)

none of these are even the first favoured choice which would have been
6. Keary, 7. Cleary
Last edited by Sid on July 3, 2019, 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Sid wrote: July 3, 2019, 3:01 pm Cleary ruled out, Pearce is in for Game III

God, it's a game too late, but I guess now is better than never!
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

Northern Raider wrote: July 3, 2019, 2:51 pm
Finchy wrote: July 3, 2019, 2:35 pm

Nobody is claiming QLD never make changes. Its ridiculous to suggest thats the case. On the flip side its also ridiculous to use any such changes as evidence that they mess around with selections anywhere near as much as NSW do.
Then we agree. It's factual that NSW make far more changes far more often. it's also factual that QLD have made changes over the years. The most drastic being in game 2 2017, as highlighted.

Yet when I pointed out this fact, Rickman seems to belittle it with a "righto, whatever m8" attitude and claims Thurston, Slater, and Holmes weren't knee jerk reactions. Slater and Holmes were, Thurston was injury related. No mention of the other 4 new faces.

How is that any different to Fittler? Unlike the Thurston situation, Fittler had to make not one, not two, but three injury-forced changes. The other 4 were form related.

Of Kevvies 7 changes in 2017, only 1 was injury related (Thurston) from what I recall.

You can admit Kevvie made a number form-related team changes without changing the fact NSW do it far more often. But Rickman seems to want to make the argument that QLD never make changes, which as you said, is ridiculous.

There is more than one way out of the QLD side, not just retirement from rep footy. QLD players have been, and will continue to be, dropped due to poor form. Just not with as great a frequency as NSW.

An argument could be made that NSW have more options at their disposal, and QLD have to stick solid due to having less options as replacements, but that's another argument....
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Finchy wrote: July 3, 2019, 3:04 pm But Rickman seems to want to make the argument that QLD never make changes
Hahaha you're lucky I'm not gangrenous or I'd be currently melting down right now!
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

The Rickman wrote: July 3, 2019, 3:04 pm
Sid wrote: July 3, 2019, 3:01 pm Cleary ruled out, Pearce is in for Game III

God, it's a game too late, but I guess now is better than never!
a game too late?

Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

Pearce in? Delightful. Game set match QLD.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Finchy wrote: July 3, 2019, 3:08 pm Pearce in? Delightful. Game set match QLD.
At least NSW have a ready made scapegoat if they do lose.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Some stats on the 'pick n stick' debate. Looking at the most number of SOO caps the top 7 are all QLD. The most capped NSW player is Freddy Fittler who is equal 8th with Wally Lewis and Greg Inglis. Andrew Ettingshausen is 15th and Paul Gallen is equal 20th with Matt Sing.

In short out of the top 21 players for most SOO apearance we have 3 for NSW and 17 for QLD.

At the other end of the scale players who only have 1 appearance to their name is 57 for NSW and 22 for QLD. A few anomalies in the list each as Rod Reddy, Arthur Beetson, Graham Eadie and Tom Raudonikis only played 1 match near the end of their careers.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Yeah, but... but Queensland changed their team that one time, NR!
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

The Rickman wrote: July 3, 2019, 4:47 pm Yeah, but... but Queensland changed their team that one time, NR!
...and they should have too because some of Kevvie's selections in Game 1 were total ****. Boyd over Slater was a brainfart for the ages.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Total number of New South Wales Origin players 285: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_N ... in_players

Total number of Queensland Origin players 197: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Q ... in_players

New South Wales has changed players 30 per cent more than Queensland. They have selected almost one third more players than Queensland.
Lucky
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Lucky »

Absolutely amazed that Jack has retained his spot.... especially after his horror show on the weekend.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Northern Raider wrote: July 3, 2019, 4:42 pm In short out of the top 21 players for most SOO apearance we have 3 for NSW and 17 for QLD.
I love Qld maths. Where ever the 21st player came from I bet 'that's in Qld - Queenslands everywhere.'
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

greeneyed wrote: July 3, 2019, 6:12 pm Total number of New South Wales Origin players 285: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_N ... in_players

Total number of Queensland Origin players 197: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Q ... in_players

New South Wales has changed players 30 per cent more than Queensland. They have selected almost one third more players than Queensland.
In the 2018 and 2019 series alone NSW have picked 18 players new to State of Origin. Qld picked 4 players new to SOO in 2018 but the information is not updated for 2019 eg Ofahengaue (spelling), Welsh, Norman. So Qld will have cracked the 200 club.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Qld have had remarkable injury free outcomes for their main play makers. Of their Top 4 representatives: Cameron Smith played a record 42 matches, Thurston 37, Lockyer 36 and Langer 34. The nearest NSW can get to that in play makers is Fittler on 31 and Daley and Johns on 23. It makes a big difference in this biased Blues fan's opinion. Even this year the form half for NSW, 2018 Clive Churchill medal winner, Luke Keary was unavailable for the entire series due to injury. Such is life.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

greeneyed wrote:Total number of New South Wales Origin players 285: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_N ... in_players

Kind of tied in, but on the smarty Johns Podcast, he was talking about how when you think of the best players never to play Origin, they’re all NSW players. He couldn’t think of 1 Origin worthy Qlder who never played.

Drew the conclusion that Qld do a better job at picking guys worthy of Origin than NSW does.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

He also mentioned NSW have a bigger pool of talent to choose from
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

RedRaider wrote: July 4, 2019, 5:51 am
greeneyed wrote: July 3, 2019, 6:12 pm Total number of New South Wales Origin players 285: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_N ... in_players

In the 2018 and 2019 series alone NSW have picked 18 players new to State of Origin. Qld picked 4 players new to SOO in 2018 but the information is not updated for 2019 eg Ofahengaue (spelling), Welsh, Norman. So Qld will have cracked the 200 club.
Rugby League project... probably most accurate, says...

Queensland 204, add Norman and Welch, yet to play, 206: http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/teams ... ayers.html

New South Wales 287: http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/teams ... ayers.html

That still means NSW has picked almost 30 per cent more players than Queensland.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

RedRaider wrote: July 4, 2019, 5:39 am
Northern Raider wrote: July 3, 2019, 4:42 pm In short out of the top 21 players for most SOO apearance we have 3 for NSW and 17 for QLD.
I love Qld maths. Where ever the 21st player came from I bet 'that's in Qld - Queenslands everywhere.'
Yeah should be 18 for QLD vs 3 for NSW. :)

Paul Gallen is equal 20th. We could call it the top 19 to leave him out or the top 21 to include him along with Matt Sing, the other equal 20th player. I'll let you decide.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Billy Walker wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: July 2, 2019, 7:05 am Tex Hoy - Sign him up on name alone

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
I had the exact same thought! The bloke is never going to be short of employment, if he doesn’t crack it in the NRL he already has a name that will unlock doors in the adult movie world.
son of surfer Matt Hoy
Edrick The Entertainer
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

bonehead wrote:
Billy Walker wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: July 2, 2019, 7:05 am Tex Hoy - Sign him up on name alone

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
I had the exact same thought! The bloke is never going to be short of employment, if he doesn’t crack it in the NRL he already has a name that will unlock doors in the adult movie world.
son of surfer Matt Hoy
Creates confusion when he jumps on a yacht and the captain declares “Ahoy hoy, Hoy!”
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021