2019 NRL Round 15 - Teams and Game Day

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

gerg
Laurie Daley

Re: 2019 NRL Round 15 - Teams and Game Day

Post by gerg »

I totally agree with your commentary on Gallen, but I've always maintained that Smith's character (and history) is no better than Gallen's. I've raised it previously but it took nearly a decade of questionable character and outright grubbiness from Smith for you to even remotely acknowledge it, and that was when he took a cheap shot on Croker in the finals game a few years ago.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gerg... I've conceded this round! But I'm looking forward to you getting stuck into Gallen during the next Sharks game!
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

greeneyed wrote: June 28, 2019, 10:17 pm Paul Gallen... awful person, awful commentator, drug cheat, rips off people's bandages to grapple with their wounds, part of the salary cap cheating Sharks. Let's talk about that gerg!

All I really care about is the Roosters lost and the Raiders have a chance to go second!
:lol:
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

greeneyed wrote:gerg... I've conceded this round! But I'm looking forward to you getting stuck into Gallen during the next Sharks game!
He has many flaws and grubbiness in his past but I honestly don't see the level of grubbiness in him that I consistently see with Smith. I used to watch a helluva lot of MMA and BJJ and every second tackle Smith is applying some sort of BJJ hold. I appreciate that you probably don't recognise it like I do. That's ok.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gergreg wrote: June 28, 2019, 11:06 pm
greeneyed wrote:gerg... I've conceded this round! But I'm looking forward to you getting stuck into Gallen during the next Sharks game!
He has many flaws and grubbiness in his past but I honestly don't see the level of grubbiness in him that I consistently see with Smith. I used to watch a helluva lot of MMA and BJJ and every second tackle Smith is applying some sort of BJJ hold. I appreciate that you probably don't recognise it like I do. That's ok.

That’s OK, I understand you don’t see the truly awful person that Gallen is, because he once wore a sky blue jersey. Here’s some highlights:

“In 2008, Gallen attempted to rip out the stitches of Anthony Laffranchi's head after the Titans forward suffered a cut earlier in the game. He gouged at the cut and reopened the wound, forcing Laffranchi off the field again to the blood bin. Gallen received a three-match ban and some commentators called for him to be jailed for common assault.

2009 - The sledge that went too far
Gallen was forced to stand down from his captaincy duties after Dragons forward Micky Paea preceded with racial abuse allegations. To the match officials, Paea was heard saying: "He called me a black ****. He's a racist". Gallen was subsequently fined $10,000.

2009 - In a wee bit of strife with the law
Police caught Gallen urinating near the head of a man, who was believed to have been his friend, in the Sydney CBD. He was charged with offensive conduct.

2011-2014 - The ASADA scandal
The most controversial stain on his career, Gallen was one of the faces of the catastrophic drugs scandal that saw a total of 17 past and present Cronulla players suspended in relation to taking prohibited substances in 2011. He accepted a reduced one-year suspension backdated to November, 2013, meaning Gallen only missed a handful of games in the 2014 season.”

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/league/ ... m5xkil8stl

That isn’t even the full rap sheet.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

I love how you’ve conveniently left out the good that Paul Gallen has done over the last few years...

2014 - Paul Gallen captained NSW to State of Origin triumph, beating QLD.

2016 - Paul Gallen captained Cronulla Sharks to their first ever premiership, beating Melbourne.

2019 - Paul Gallen knocked out serial **** John Hopoate
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Gallen is a ****.
Smith is a ****.
It's not that hard.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

gergreg wrote: June 28, 2019, 9:23 pm Why is Vunivula such a grub?

I’m not sure he’s a grub.

I think he’s proven on countless occasions that he’s just a bit of a **** whilst on the field though tbh. Him winding up and jumping at the defence with legs raised on a kick return or literally sliding into the in goal on a kick chase when the opposition already had the ball are just 2 out of hundreds of instances.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

julian87 wrote:
gergreg wrote: June 28, 2019, 9:23 pm Why is Vunivula such a grub?

I’m not sure he’s a grub.

I think he’s proven on countless occasions that he’s just a bit of a **** whilst on the field though tbh. Him winding up and jumping at the defence with legs raised on a kick return or literally sliding into the in goal on a kick chase when the opposition already had the ball are just 2 out of hundreds of instances.
I just couldn't understand what he was doing last night? Latrell tackles him into touch - maybe crept up a little high but not even remotely close to a penalty - and Vunivula rolls over and grabs him by the throat.

If CNK is penalised for escalating a situation with Fifita - when it was just the usual 10 blokes standing around sledging each other, why wasn't Vunivula penalised? His actions escalate the situation.

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

greeneyed wrote:

That’s OK, I understand you don’t see the truly awful person that Gallen is, because he once wore a sky blue jersey. Here’s some highlights:

“In 2008, Gallen attempted to rip out the stitches of Anthony Laffranchi's head after the Titans forward suffered a cut earlier in the game. He gouged at the cut and reopened the wound, forcing Laffranchi off the field again to the blood bin. Gallen received a three-match ban and some commentators called for him to be jailed for common assault.

Gallen was forced to stand down from his captaincy duties after Dragons forward Micky Paea preceded with racial abuse allegations. To the match officials, Paea was heard saying: "He called me a black ****. He's a racist". Gallen was subsequently fined $10,000.

Police caught Gallen urinating near the head of a man, who was believed to have been his friend, in the Sydney CBD. He was charged with offensive conduct.

The most controversial stain on his career, Gallen was one of the faces of the catastrophic drugs scandal that saw a total of 17 past and present Cronulla players suspended in relation to taking prohibited substances in 2011. He accepted a reduced one-year suspension backdated to November, 2013, meaning Gallen only missed a handful of games in the 2014 season.”

I'm surprised you forgot to mention the time he grabbed and squeezed another players nuts, also about a decade ago. The fact you need to go back that long for grubby acts when I'm pointing out issues from last night (and every single week for the past decade) is a decent comparison of the players.
And before you resort to the more recent drug issues, shares your thoughts with us on Hudson Young's drug use and suspension. Just for perspective.

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

gergreg wrote:
greeneyed wrote:

I'm surprised you forgot to mention the time he grabbed and squeezed another players nuts, also about a decade ago. The fact you need to go back that long for grubby acts when I'm pointing out issues from last night (and every single week for the past decade) is a decent comparison of the players.
And before you resort to the more recent drug issues, shares your thoughts with us on Hudson Young's drug use and suspension. Just for perspective.

It's a fair point. Gallen is not a particular likeable person who was a complete grub in his early years. Whereas Smith continues to plod along being a complete prick and people kissing his ass for it.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

^ that’s correct.

And at least Paul Gallen is an entertaining character off the field. I actually enjoy his commentary.

Far worse people in the game than Paul Gallen, e.g. Matt Lodge and Dylan Walker.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Dr Zaius wrote:
gergreg wrote:
greeneyed wrote:

It's a fair point. Gallen is not a particular likeable person who was a complete grub in his early years. Whereas Smith continues to plod along being a complete prick and people kissing his ass for it.
Sorry, when did Gallen become Saint Paul? After he won a premiership when he should have been on a drug suspension? Or after he won a single Origin series when he should have been on a drug suspension?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Thought I'd weigh into this conversation...

Gallen is a despicable human, a bottom feeder of the highest quality..

That is all.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

We've done the peptides scandel to death GE and we are going to have to agree to disagree about our perspectives on it. Regardless he served the sentence that was handed down and you had no problem with Scif pulling on a Raiders jumper.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

And say despicable like you're Daffy Duck..
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

So apparently Sims is looking at a 2 game suspension for a late hit on Morgan. I didn't think it was too bad, doesn't look that late even in slow motion.

-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

It's the media mate, if they keep talkin it up we get results..

Which means GBurgess should get 12 weeks.
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

Sironen double sparks Sea Eagles to big win over Titans

The Manly Sea Eagles scored four tries and led 20-2 at half-time yet coughed and spluttered their way to the finishing line in a second half that read 10-all for a 30-12 win in front of a crowd of 11,056 against a Titans team that were never truly in the contest.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/06/29/sir ... er-titans/

The Greenhouse score update service
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

HALF TIME

Newcastle Knights 18 lead Brisbane Broncos 0
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

That's pathetic. Ridiculous sin binning of the Knights' Gavet and the Broncos score a try on the next play.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

My surprise is something to be imagined
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Brewdle
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Love em all

Post by Brewdle »

Darius is missing his daddy, move or retire mate, putrid defence

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

Darius Boyd proving he can do his turtle impersonation just as well at 6 as he does at 1.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

Brewdle wrote:Darius is missing his daddy, move or retire mate, putrid defence

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Hey, at least he made contact this time!
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

FULL TIME

Newcastle Knights 26 defeated Brisbane Broncos 12

No Ponga, no worries as Knights do enough to beat Broncos

David Klemmer turned in a performance that shows he’s ready to return to the Blues side for the State of Origin decider by leading the Newcastle Knights to a 26-12 win over Brisbane at McDonald Jones Stadium on Saturday night.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/06/29/no- ... t-broncos/

Last edited by The Greenhouse on June 29, 2019, 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

A fine exhibition of #Penaltybroncos tonight. Love to hear Nickman's reflections on the refereeing.

yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

Ahh that was great to watch Ramien steamroll Boyd ! :thumbsup
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

New Zealand Warriors kick off to start the clash with the Penrith Panthers at Mt Smart Stadium.
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

6th min TRY WARRIORS to Peter Hiku, just grounds it. No conversion.

Warriors 4-0
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

20th min TRY PANTHERS to James Tamou under the posts, Maloney's good work sets it up. Converted Maloney.

Panthers 6-4
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

SCORE UPDATE

62nd min New Zealand Warriors 16 lead Penrith Panthers 12

New Zealand Warriors

Tries
Peta Hiku 5'
Bunty Afoa 36'
David Fusitu'a 42'

Goals
Patrick Herbert 31'
Patrick Herbert 37'

Penrith Panthers

Tries
James Tamou 18'
Brent Naden 51'

Goals
Liam Martin 35'
Jarome Luai 42'

HALF TIME New Zealand Warriors 12 led Penrith Panthers 6
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

78th min TRY PANTHERS to Brent Naden. Incredible try, runs 80 metres to score under the posts. Why did the Raiders let him go again? That's levelled the scores and Maloney will convert to take the lead. And he does.

Panthers 18
Warriors 16
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Warriors are the most disappointing football team
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Great try by Naden. Good to see him playing well, he always had what it took if he learnt to be even slightly competent as a defender.