2019 State of Origin II: Queensland V New South Wales

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Who will win?

Queensland Maroons 13+
No votes
Queensland Maroons 1-12
27%
Draw
No votes
New South Wales Blues 1-12
18%
New South Wales Blues 13+
55%

Total votes: 11

gerg
Laurie Daley

Re: 2019 State of Origin II: Queensland V New South Wales

Post by gerg »

kiwi raider wrote:It didn't really matter tonight as there starting pack (did Napa actually play?)was destroyed but qld need some better bench options , surely they can't win with a bench makeup of Mbye, Wallace and Glasby,
Full credit to Mbye for being this year's QLD player to cheat death during Origin week. Really think Kevvie should have saved it for game 3, but I guess the virus ripping through the entire side is still available.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

RTW wrote: June 23, 2019, 10:19 pm
Billy Walker wrote:Out of curiosity, if the penalty try wasn’t awarded, was the alternative a penalty and Jack in the bin for 10 minutes? I imagine the penalty try is the lesser penalty of those two scenarios?
Yes, It would be interesting if you gave the opposition the choice of penalty try or man in the bin. What way teams would go.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
I think you’d take the 2 points and back yourself to score again in the next 10. The 12 guys opposite would have to work hard to cover the man down and that will have an effect later in the game.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

gergreg wrote: June 23, 2019, 10:22 pm
kiwi raider wrote:It didn't really matter tonight as there starting pack (did Napa actually play?)was destroyed but qld need some better bench options , surely they can't win with a bench makeup of Mbye, Wallace and Glasby,
Full credit to Mbye for being this year's QLD player to cheat death during Origin week. Really think Kevvie should have saved it for game 3, but I guess the virus ripping through the entire side is still available.

Apparently his allergic reaction was due to ginger. Would it be poor form to test the story by mixing a bit of ginger into the petroleum jelly the blues players smear on the legs?
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

So if NSW win the next game and win the series where does that leave Latrell for next year? He’s probably the best centre getting around but can’t argue the team went better without him. Surely he doesn’t get back for game 3, and I’d imagine he will struggle to get back in next year if NSW are winning?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

RTW wrote: June 23, 2019, 9:36 pm
Begbie wrote:Gee Ferguson has been strong.
Gee Fergus has been quiet.

I'm told he was score updating. Did a good job. Played strong, done good.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Billy Walker wrote: June 23, 2019, 10:34 pm So if NSW win the next game and win the series where does that leave Latrell for next year? He’s probably the best centre getting around but can’t argue the team went better without him. Surely he doesn’t get back for game 3, and I’d imagine he will struggle to get back in next year if NSW are winning?
It's up to him. If he gets his head right he will be back in the side. Jack will be in the 17 while ever Freddy is coach though and could easily end up the long term 5/8th.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Fair wrap Gus just gave to Wighton. He is having a great season.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Really weird that we had people in here finding it odd that Graham went into the halves. There wasn’t a back up back in the team of course that was what should have happened.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Billy Walker wrote: June 23, 2019, 10:49 pm Fair wrap Gus just gave to Wighton. He is having a great season.
Agreed. And not brain dead like Sterling saying he’ll end up being a club centre.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Gallen interviewing Fergo is enthralling TV. I felt myself getting dumber listening to it!
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Billy Walker wrote:Out of curiosity, if the penalty try wasn’t awarded, was the alternative a penalty and Jack in the bin for 10 minutes? I imagine the penalty try is the lesser penalty of those two scenarios?
Yes, It would be interesting if you gave the opposition the choice of penalty try or man in the bin. What way teams would go.

I’m taking 6 points every day of the week.

It’s amazing how often a team with 12 players lifts and easily relies on their sliding defence and how often the team with the addional player overplay their hand and are pressured into going sideways too often.

Happened a lot last year with the penalty crackdown and increased sin bins.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

yeh raiders wrote: June 23, 2019, 11:03 pm

I’m taking 6 points every day of the week.

It’s amazing how often a team with 12 players lifts and easily relies on their sliding defence and how often the team with the addional player overplay their hand and are pressured into going sideways too often.

Happened a lot last year with the penalty crackdown and increased sin bins.
That’s true.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

The Greenhouse score update service
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Very good performance by NSW. The series now leveled at one all. Decider in Sydney. Neither side has yet won or lost this years Series. Who wants it more in Game 3 will decide it. NSW had no passengers tonight. It makes all the difference when players demonstrate they want to be there.

Glad Jack and Papa got through ok. I was a little worried when Frizzell went over for a try and Ponga's head hit Papa flush on the jaw in the tackle. Papa went off soon afterward. Very happy to see him back on the field in the 2nd half and playing better than his first stint. I was a little surprised that Addo-Carr was often receiving the ball at left center in attack. But Jack was energetic all night, particularly early in the match. Other than for injury or suspension it would take an almighty drop in form for any one of the 17 NSW players to be dropped. That probably won't sit well with Nic Cotric but I think he showed in game one that he is in the long term plan for NSW.

Freddy has made it very clear that the players must go back and play well for their clubs. He has demonstrated with the selections of the Game 2 side, that reputations mean nothing and that effort for Club and State is what he is looking for. The series is on the line and for the players to get a shot at history, they will have to continue to put in the effort.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Yep, you don't change that team. Bad luck and bad timing for Cotric but I'm sure he'll be in and around the squad for game 3 as 18th man. Not year for him.

Maybe only if Cleary is injured and Freddy wants Jack at 5/8 but that's something of a long shot.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

So how long will it be until we see a “Jack to Centre” thread?

Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: June 24, 2019, 7:02 am So how long will it be until we see a “Jack to Centre” thread?

There were lots of people on here advocating that throughout last season.

He looks more naturally suited to centre to me (especially if he found himself playing behind a less dominant hooker), but he's been playing brilliantly, so certainly shouldn't be moved for the foreseeable future.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

edwahu wrote: June 23, 2019, 10:43 pm
Billy Walker wrote: June 23, 2019, 10:34 pm So if NSW win the next game and win the series where does that leave Latrell for next year? He’s probably the best centre getting around but can’t argue the team went better without him. Surely he doesn’t get back for game 3, and I’d imagine he will struggle to get back in next year if NSW are winning?
It's up to him. If he gets his head right he will be back in the side. Jack will be in the 17 while ever Freddy is coach though and could easily end up the long term 5/8th.
Freddy has made it clear that players have to compete for a position and that no one is a walk up start. Mitchell is a special talent, but only if the talent is focused on the job. NSW win last night was comprehensive. But with Freddy's attitude to selection, 2020 will be a clean sheet of paper. All players who are selected for NSW will have to be playing well and not rely on past performance to get into the side. Exactly how it should be.

I've not seen much of the Knights this year, but Saifiti did his job at SOO level, in his stints. Jake T, Dale F, Paul Vaughan all did what was required of them in the middle. Frizzell and Cordner did what was expected of them on the edges. Maybe Frizzell finest game at origin level. Wade Graham was used at backrow when Cordner went off HIA and then in the halves when Cleary was injured. Showed his versatility and attacking skills. Murray and Sims did not get a lot of time but also looked up for Origin.

If Nathan Cleary's ankle does not come up, it will be interesting to see who Freddy picks in the No7. Maloney to 7 with Jack at 6 a real possibility if their form holds. Other contenders would be Pearce and the currently injured Keary.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

gergreg wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:Why are NSW wearing Cronulla jerseys?
They look awful.

Did you see Mighty Ducks 2? USA got hammered in their first outing, and we’re getting beaten in the final, only for Bombay to get them to switch jerseys for the 2nd Half. USA won that day.

This move to change jerseys is a masterstroke straight out of the Bombay rulebook and I love it.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Scoreline flattered qld

They were a joke, no passion, no pride typical of a that state if not picking a world team with NSW’s best player they go to jelly.

Also giving a penalty try when a bloke knocks on behind the dead ball line, give me a break.

Honestly that effort from qld was disgraceful the talent gap is marginal it was just effort and heart which qld again lack.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Fox Sports player ratings

4. JACK WIGHTON 7

Carried the ball strongly for 154 metres from 15 runs. Whether you agree with it or not, caused the penalty try to Will Chambers in the first half. Played a role in Josh Addo-Carr’s second try.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/state- ... 25f84e1c46

10 JOSH PAPALII 6

Came off after 22 minutes for four runs and 12 tackles, including one error but three tackle busts. Finished the game with 77 metres and three tackle busts.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/state- ... ecf1628dd2

NRL.com player ratings

10. Josh Papalii: Costly error in the set after Queensland's first-half try. Had sting in his carries when he got them but nowhere near the impact of game one. 5.5

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/06/23/201 ... r-ratings/

4. Jack Wighton: Didn't look out of place in the centres. Was one of four NSW outside backs to run for big metres. The plan worked a treat as he clocked up 145m. Outplayed Will Chambers with ease. There's no chance of him losing his spot for game three. 7

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/06/23/201 ... r-ratings/
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Why is the penalty try thing a negative against Wighton in so many articles? If he lets Chambers through it’s a try anyway.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

I think those player rating are about right. Jack wasn’t the best player on the ground but he more than did his job - impressive game and 7/10 is about where I would put him.

Papa wasn’t the worst out there but wasn’t at his usual high standard. 5.5 - 6 is a pass and that’s about as high as I could rate him. I would expect to see a good number of 4.5 and 5 across the Qld pack!
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

MrPosh wrote: June 24, 2019, 7:10 am
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: June 24, 2019, 7:02 am So how long will it be until we see a “Jack to Centre” thread?

There were lots of people on here advocating that throughout last season.

He looks more naturally suited to centre to me (especially if he found himself playing behind a less dominant hooker), but he's been playing brilliantly, so certainly shouldn't be moved for the foreseeable future.
I agree with that - he looked very good at centre and Gus Gould was talking him up in the post match saying left centre is his natural position but he is also killing it at 6 and has to stay there. Be nice to think we uncover a couple of halves over the next couple of seasons so good that they give us the option to consider Jack as a centre but until that happens he stays in the half and will continue to improve as a 6. I’ve been a big critic of him off him off the field but can’t fault his improvement on the field this year.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

papabear wrote: June 24, 2019, 8:11 am Scoreline flattered qld

They were a joke, no passion, no pride typical of a that state if not picking a world team with NSW’s best player they go to jelly.

Also giving a penalty try when a bloke knocks on behind the dead ball line, give me a break.

Honestly that effort from qld was disgraceful the talent gap is marginal it was just effort and heart which qld again lack.
Can't disagree with any of that assessment. Queensland completely lacked effort and attitude.

Need to be a thousand percent better for Game 3. Bring it on.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

Who would’ve thought Jack Wighton would outplay Will Chambers in the centres, yet again...

Wighton’s as natural a centre as they come and always appeared that way, but we have about 4 of them at the Raiders and right now we need him to keep killing it at 5/8th for us. I think it’s unlikely he’ll ever play centre for the Raiders again. Gee he’s such a quality footballer when he’s settled.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

He absolutely should never play centre for the Raiders again.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

He can play centre very, very well.

But so long as he is also our most creative, best passing and best kicking half then let's just let him do that please.

He actually gets to influence the game more with his athletic and fearless defence from half too, he can zoom out for those big hits on backrowers and monster his opposite halves at bit easier from closer in to the ruck + his kick chase.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Playing Jack in the centres would be like playing James Tedesco on the wing. Sure you could do it, and he'll go well... but why would you??
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

The Rickman wrote: June 24, 2019, 9:52 am
papabear wrote: June 24, 2019, 8:11 am Scoreline flattered qld

Can't disagree with any of that assessment. Queensland completely lacked effort and attitude.

Need to be a thousand percent better for Game 3. Bring it on.
In the modern game its much easier for teams to bounce back from a shocking effort like that. We see it all the time.

I don't see many changes coming. Arrow and Ofahengaue will come back in if fit. If not I reckon Welch deserves a go ahead of Wallace, who once again proved to be a total fraud.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

The Rickman wrote: June 24, 2019, 10:25 am Playing Jack in the centres would be like playing James Tedesco on the wing. Sure you could do it, and he'll go well... but why would you??
Turbo was brilliant in the centres too. I'll bet Manly fans aren't contemplating him playing there for them.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Northern Raider wrote: June 24, 2019, 10:29 am
The Rickman wrote: June 24, 2019, 10:25 am Playing Jack in the centres would be like playing James Tedesco on the wing. Sure you could do it, and he'll go well... but why would you??
Turbo was brilliant in the centres too. I'll bet Manly fans aren't contemplating him playing there for them.
Haha exactly. Our fans are ridiculous at times.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

The Rickman wrote: June 24, 2019, 10:34 am
Who’s telling Ricky to move him from 5/8th the centre? Apart from Sterlo (apparently)
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

yeh raiders wrote: June 24, 2019, 10:37 am
The Rickman wrote: June 24, 2019, 10:34 am
Who’s telling Ricky to move him from 5/8th the centre? Apart from Sterlo (apparently)
Yeah I haven’t seen one post on here suggesting he should be moved out of the halves.